PDA

View Full Version : into the orient ... step by step (final)

maror
10-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi community!

i started to paint a orient picture yesterday....and well to show how i work i decided to post some steps between the (not yet) finished image.

Some infos for the beginning:

-Used progs: artrage 2.2 on win xp sp2
-Used tools: Oil thinners (with instant dry on) , eraser and artpen
-Image size 3000x1800 (the new 2.2 works even smoother on higher resolution...thx)

I mostly start with a black background and creat instanly a new layer
which is used for the rough sketch to get some feelings about the compostition... i almost have the final picture in my mind yet but i never looks like the final then :wink: => wip1

after i'm satisfied with the roughsketch i create a new layer beneath and paint with the oil thinners some color to get a feeling for the atmo i wanna create (cold or warm colors.... huge or a small palette)=> wip2

in wip3 i try to paint out how the light bounces and what type of shadows are necessary=> because of the light cloudy sky the shadows and the light are diffus but the viewer can still imagine were the sun stands...

I think the first three steps are the most important to get a good picture...
huge changes take alot of time afterwards...

maror
10-15-2006, 05:31 AM
so after a cup of tea...some more steps

as you can see in wip4 i overworked the whole image with a new sketch... it's only to make some desicion and correctures in the perspective and the new idea of a woman read a book in the corner (also on a new layer for simple blend in and out)...

and now it's only a question of patience...it's time to detail...
detailing the image (without women, not sure if it's agood idea, adding later would be more easy) => wip5

in wip 6 i've reworked the background....and here is the layer system truly a amazing thing...

to be continued.... sooner or later
:)

greez maror

friendly
10-15-2006, 05:56 AM
this is a really good painting I like it very much and also your colors

D Akey
10-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Cool. Reminds me a little of the miniseries 'Dune' originally written by Frank Herbert.

Nice approach to painting. Thanks for showing us. I'm always fascinated by techniques.

Are you going to include the figure?

speggie
10-15-2006, 06:41 AM
8) looking good so far maror .....like the overall lighting an feel to the piccie ........look forward to following the ongoing work

ENCHANTER
10-15-2006, 06:48 AM
THANKS FOR THAT WIP.

cant wait to se the finsihed picture !.......good so far :D

Selby
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
wow this is neat to watch Maror...i love to see how people work :)

Selby

gazza76
10-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for sharing this work - it's really instructive- excellent stuff.

maror
10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
thx alot...

@d akey

hmm as i said i'm not sure if i should integrate the girl in that picture...i think there a two versions in the end ...one with one without!

so next step :!:

some details added to the cloth.... it's a hard task...

bigger version for more viewing pleasure.. :wink:

greez and gn8

maror

maror
10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
so version 1 without the women it's final now!

hope you like it! C&C very welcome as always!

here the full resolution for details(400kB):
http://maror.skinnalicious.net/uploads/photos/33.jpg

greez

D Akey
10-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Really like it. I like the non-mechanical feel to the shapes. The fabric I can feel, though I can't recall what that particular fabric is called, exactly.

I like the sconce to the right. Feels like it was crafted by people who love beautiful things, created in a land that is perhaps barren. Maybe it's the palace or home a royal person who oversees a stop on the traderoutes.

I once lived in a place where there was not much natural beauty, and the environment was too harsh to be a playground. People spent a LOT of money putting in man-made places that were fun and beautiful, just to make it inviting.

Can't wait to see the figure. I think it will add a lot.

Selby
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
wow Maror looks great love what you did with the fabric capturing each fold and the fire light from the sconse is fablulous too :D

Selby

Aged P
10-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Maror,

Really amazing, and very educational to see how you work.

I almost never draw anything first if it's going to be a painting.

Phil

Fashmir
10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Nice Maror! I like this very much on several levels. I like the colors, the way the paint is relaxed, and the lighting. I guess my only crit would be that it might be a little more interesting if we-the viewers- weren't positioned squarely in front of the window arches but a little off to the side so we can get some perspective. Minor complaint though. Nice job.

Rkngel
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
That fabric!! That fire!!

:shock:

florida girl
10-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Nicely presented Maror. I love the draping fabric also.
Usually when I paint I don't sketch it out first, Maybe I need to after seeing how nice yours turned out. Nice technique!

Kind Regards,
Florida Girl 8)

bleepnik
10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Ya, me too, me too! Love the fabric, it turned out amazingly well. Thanks for your process with us. =)

.g

Levent Suberk
10-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Perfect.

maror
10-18-2006, 07:10 AM
@ aged p and florida girl
hmm i didn't made always a presketch, but in fact i think i get the better result with one....but you can also make a good compostition with a few strokes!
and as everybody knows... go your own way.... :wink:

@fashmir
thx
i believe your right... i will change the angle next time.
8)

@Rkngel & Levent Subrek
:D

@d akey

great you like it!
opps....the fabric...not the cloth (hmmm...should get swimming into a see filled with english word and grammatic rules :roll: )

hmmm yeah we spend truly alot of money in such things... we should remember what we really need (no no no artrage isn't really necessary :lol:) and get back to the nature...but the most are to lazy to make this step, even myself!

and well even you can't get enough...you will get a girl :P

@selby
glad you like the FABRIC and the folds... but what is the sconse..
(aha eine Wandleuchte :wink:, a device wich lightens up walls)

@just g
always nice to share some steps...

Best regards

Maror

D Akey
10-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Make her a pretty girl, please. :D

I can't help but think of Maxfield Parish with those arches.

ENCHANTER
10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
gorgeeous potryal of fabric :D

maror
10-18-2006, 09:07 AM
@d akey i hope so .... i try itry :lol:

@enchanter thx

greez