PDA

View Full Version : Hello and introduction

raybeau528
12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello, my name is Ray Beausoleil. You can call me Ray, or Raybeau, or ...

Attached is my first painting - of any kind. I do some amateur photography and was looking for some software, outside of Photoshop Elements, to do some touch up and came across Art Rage. I checked out the free version and was so impressed with the UI and its capabilities I immediately purchased the full 2.5 application. Then I started reading through the forums and was absolutely floored with all the talent and awsome paintings. So much so that I started searching for some place to take painting lessons. Yes, you all really motivated me!

My wife and I live in Connecticut and we 'temporarily' moved to Denver, CO to spend time with our daughter and our only grand child (and our son-in-law of course :)). We're retired and got an apartment for 6 months. Yes, I know, most people go south for the winter. We just changed longitude. My daughter suggested I check with the Colorado Free University for painting/art courses. The only one I found was Wet on Wet Oil Painting - Bob Ross Method so I signed myself and daughter up. Then I did a quick search on the net for Bob Ross and the first comments I found weren't very complementary. I mentioned that to my daughter and she said she used to watch him on TV when she was younger and that it would be a lot of fun to do it together. So we're on for a January class which I'm looking forward to. I was happy to see many favorable comments in this forum regarding Bob Ross.

Anyone in the Denver area know of other introduction to painting classes? I also ordered the Bob Ross New Joy of Painting book.

Apologies for the long winded intro! I hope to one day be able to contribute to this forum. Right now I'm just trying to absorb everything I can and learn from all of you!

Ray

Peter Pinckney
12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Welcome Ray............you're going to love it here.........great first painting!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Docsmith626
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Now, that is a very promising beginning. I love the color choice. As a photographer, you already have delved into composition and likely have sharpened your observation skills. With ArtRage, translating that into good paintings is easier than you might think. The rest is practice.

RE: Bob Ross. My late wife watched him on TV and turned out some nice landscapes. The art snobs consider him a hack, but I suspect you could learn a lot from his methods.

saddy
12-18-2009, 12:51 PM
*Salutes a new master* (sorry for Star wars reference)

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy here with us.
Great painting you got here! Do plenty more, that's how others advised me when I hit the gallery. :p

Raybrite
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find a new family here as many others have. Enjoy and have fun.:):):):):)

raybeau528
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention in my first post, and I consider it the most important, it was all the friendly and helpful people in these forums !!!

RobertSWade
12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Welcome to here, Ray. I've seen a lot of positive comments here about Bob Ross. No, he's not ever going to be considered a painting master. What he accomplished was to get people involved in exploring the creative process through painting, and always with an accent on having fun with it. He helped people believe that they could participate and develop ... that art didn't have to be the enclave of some mythical elite.
As DocSmith noted, you already have a leg-up on the creative process by virtue of your photographic experiences.
I predict that you're going to love it here and make some impressive contributions. ArtRage provides a wonderful toolbox and you've already noticed what a wonderful and supportive community this is.
Excellent first offering. Jump in and have fun. :)

Jester2001
12-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Ray! You're first post is really beautiful. I hope you have a great time when your painting classes start. I'm sure you're going to be posting some great artworks here.

Juz
12-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Ray, I thought your introduction was one of the best i've seen.:)
This is a beautiful first painting, I just love the sky and the warm colour.
I agree with Robert on Bob Ross, he was able to teach a lot of people who never thought they could paint that they could achieve something successful. Plus he's got to have been the most laid back dude to have ever walked the planet.:D I only saw his show once or twice since moving to Canada from Australia, but that was enough to make me 'awww' when he passed.

Judith Tramayne
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Welcome! Actually Bob Ross was one of my favorites because he made Art fun!!!! I loved what he could do with a palette knife. Think of the fun he would have had with our new palette knife :D

Judith

Bobbi
12-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Well, Ray, you are off to a great start. I can foresee that you are going to be posting some very good works. Welcome!

JosepM
12-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Wellcome Raybeau :)

Danny the Fool
12-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Welcome! I'm sure the Bob Ross class will be a lot of fun. Some people consider him a cheat because he developed a fairly simple painting style that lets you paint a certain type of landscape painting quickly (involving his hallmark mountains and lakes etc.), but while that won't help you a whole lot with painting anything else at first, it's still a great thing to be able to do in a class where you only have a few hours each week. And then of course you do learn a heap of stuff that you can use for other paintings anyway. My mother-in-law used to watch the shows and always had great fun right up until he painted a huge tree in the middle of a perfect landscape :D Either way, it's a fun way to practice because you get results quickly. Many traditional oil painting classes start out with colour theory and then go on and on with small exercises, while a Bob Ross class should have you paint landscapes fairly soon after acquainting yourself with the tools. It's less "work" and more "play".

(There is also something about flowers, but he is most known for the landscapes.)

Alexandra
12-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Welcome Ray. I love your painting, and the beautiful colors and application of your choice. Well done!

Valerie
12-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Welcome to the group. I love your painting. I love the colors you chose for the sky.

sandyg
12-19-2009, 04:24 AM
A big welcome Ray, thank you for your lovely introduction, hope you enjoy
your art course.
I've always watched the Bob ross shows when they come on here in the UK, lovely fun quiet spoken man and I just love the fun way he cleans his brush on his easel.
You will love creating with Art rage.
Great first offering, many more will follow because you will become addicted to art rage as we are.
Welcome again.
Sandyg.

Rowena
12-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Very nice painting - you're off to a great start! :D

raybeau528
12-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for such a warm welcome and words of encouragement. It's like home away from home here! I worked on a second painting which I'll post under Critique, or Gallery, or ?? with a few questions, of course.

Ray

heal1079
02-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Hello everyone, I have just signed up.

Caesar
02-14-2015, 02:31 AM
Welcome then and enjoy!

CVS
02-14-2015, 04:15 AM
Hi, am new to Artrage, have tried all the tools to get the random foliage effect.Can someone give me a clue?

Victor Osaka
02-14-2015, 10:50 AM
You would do well to learn the Sticker Spray tool. http://www.artrage.com/manuals/stickers/

You can also import Photoshop brushes to apply to the stickers spray. Through the variations panel of the sticker spray tool you can create the random application you are looking for. This is just one way to do it.

D Akey
02-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone, I have just signed up.

Oh, you're going to have some fun now! Welcome!

D Akey
02-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi, am new to Artrage, have tried all the tools to get the random foliage effect.Can someone give me a clue?

Yeah, I agree with Victor. Good place to start. Oddly, when you're looking for making your own brushes of sorts, you have a huge potential in that tool. So it should serve you to learn for myriad reasons. With stickers you can spatter anything you tell it to - leaves being one of the possibilities. But like anything else the more you use it the more you can get control over it and integrate it into your work. . . and become dependent upon it. . . and. . . start seeing your painting through how this tool would be able to accomplish your desired end. . . and being as it's still legal in most places, technically speaking, you may want to master it before it tries to master you. . . like it's done me. . . <help me!>

Enjoy!