PDA

View Full Version : hummer

Squirls
12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I am not real happy with the copper scroll work. Any ideas on how to make it more coppery and tubular?

Squirls
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Still needs touch up.

chambersecrets
12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
really it doesnt look right because of the way your doing it. i would stop using what ever it is that you used and start over with normal smooth colors like the oil brush or crayon. the copper is going to have alot of reflection in it. there for changing its color is certain places. if you look at a pipe, its round and it looks round because the way the light hits it and where the highlights go. you can still texture it to give that old school look but i would use stencils for that not the metallic setting if thats what you used. get some reference photos of the net and just closely look at all the little details in the copper. it wont be one copper color with highlights in it.

i hope that help at least a little bit.

Adman
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
In addition... I would suggest first painting the midtones, then the highlights and the shadows...and then blending.

Squirls
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
That makes sense. The hummer was so easy that I expected all the background stuff to be as easy. This is from a picture I took and I'm afraid I never really looked at the shading of the copper, just the curves. So with my new perspective I will try actually looking at what I am trying to imitate! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

chambersecrets
12-12-2009, 06:32 AM
no problem. if you need any more help no matter how small just ask.

its all in the tiny details.:cool: