PDA

View Full Version : Byron's ArtRage Explorations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

byroncallas
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
NOTE: PLEASE JUMP TO THE END OF THE THREAD FOR THE LATEST POSTS.

Edit: February 11, 2020. Just popping in after another long absence, just to say hello. I see there is a new AR6; Hope to give it a go soon. Best to all of you throughout 2020.

Edit: January 1, 2017 Hello friends. I've been away for a while, taking care of the this and that of life. I have missed everyone and am popping in to say hello. I hope to be back here again engaged with all of you soon. In the meantime, I wish everyone well in the new year.

Edit: July 4, 2013: I've decided to continue posting my paintings in this thread, mostly devoted to my abstract paintings developed exclusively in ArtRage. Meanwhile, I was asked to prepare an article, a brief history of abstract art, for the June 2013 Issue of the ArtRageous Online Magazine. It can be reviewed at this link [ edit: the link is no longer good: Feb 2017 ]. I hope you enjoy perusing these abstract explorations throughout the thread, as well as the article. Comments and exchange are always welcome in the spirit of this delightful ArtRage community. Thanks a lot for dropping by and commenting. All thoughts, views, questions, and exchange are welcome. But mostly, I hope you enjoy reviewing the work. [/COLOR]

Edit: February 21, 2013: I had the good fortune to participate in the recent AR4 beta. Of course in Betas you just try all kinds of stuff trying to find what isn't working like it should. Now that the program is released we can post our exercises and finished paintings.

When testing to see what is broken you try wild things. Over the next few weeks I'll post different stuff from the beta as well as new efforts. A lot of things from the beta will just be exercises exploring what new tools or enhanced old ones can do. So a lot of posts won't be finished paintings and may simply be wild doodles. But many of the doodles produced interesting results. So I figured what the heck, I'll just post a bunch of it for fun. I hope some of them are worth a peek, both from the beta doodles, and of course the ongoing new works.

I LOVE the new AR4. Really elegant, terrific speed improvements, some wonderful new tools, and great enhancements to several old ones, an engaging and efficient alternate "workbench" interface while retaining the old interface (they integrate well together) and just general, all around, great touches that thoroughly elevate the program. I hope you'll jump to the end of the thread and start to pick up on some of the new entries. [/COLOR]

Edit: August 26, 2012:This thread started as a collection of my Artrage paintings made while testing the AR3 beta in 2009. It seems to have grown organically. I continue to upload most of my AR3 (now AR3.5) paintings to the thread. I hope you find paintings you enjoy. Comments and feedback are appreciated. :)Thanks to everyone for your warm engagements for nearly three years.

November 30, 2009
Hi everyone. I posted few paintings over the last few months while a beta tester for AR3. Because of the many new tools, we were asked to not reveal them early by posting paintings that would give them away. Now we can post paintings created in the beta. It's exciting seeing the wonderful work other artists are creating with this terrific new version of Artrage. It's such a fine program.

I will be posting more paintings and tutorials over the next couple of weeks in this thread. The first five images below [edit: there are now over 100 images plus tutorials in the thread] in this post are experiments trying out new AR3 tools. AR3 seems a dream program, everything and more that many of us have hoped for. I believe you'll agree it was worth the wait. :):)

Most of my paintings are designed to be blown up full screen and seen from a distance. It helps built-in visual effects come properly into focus.

All paintings are 100% AR3 tools. No filters or any other programs are used.
EDIT, NOW AR4 TOOLS AS OF Feb 2013

pai
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
It's worth wait by seeing these. Awesome. I espescially like the first one you did. Have that 3D feel.

Most of my paintings are designed to be blown up full screen and seen from a distance. It makes built in special visual effects come properly into focus.

This is exactly what I like to do and view these. Just amazing and see those effects came out.

pai
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I also love the 3rd one. Those woolen strings. Great creations.

byroncallas
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Pai, thank you. Here are five more: :):):)

Evart
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow, it looks like a party. The bright colors brings on the emotion of happiness. Great job!

pai
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
The second in this set is beautiful. The abstract sky and board view of cityscapes. And, the first one using those metalic paints like looking the top of each high-rises in an urban city.....wooohoo.

Did you use high scale to create these....looks so sharp on evey piece? Or is the new effect from AR3?? Did you use layers? If yes, then the blending is cool. If no, even great in one layer to see the color blend together so smooth..

Jester2001
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Love the abstract paintings Byron! Looks like you've been having a helluva time with AR3.

byroncallas
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks so much Evart. That's a beautiful thing to say.
And Pai, thanks for your enthusiasm. Very much appreciated. Wait until you see some of the incredible works some of the other beta testers have been creating. I bow to them, no kidding. :)
Jester, yes, it's been a totally fun and invigorating learning experience.
Here are a few more:

suziQ54241
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey Man, you know I love your Abstractions. Each one a color heaven. ^Up^ ^Up^

Flynn_the_Cat
12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
*steals all the shinies*

Someonesane
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Way to work the tools Byron! You have a great collection of abstracts :).

Fashmir
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Byron- You are the master of the sophisticated rainbow. You have a knack for using the whole color wheel and not having it feel like Barney meets the CareBears. I like your dimensional explorations and the use of selective blur is a great example of how we can do focal depth effects now.

Great collection of AR3 abstract art.:)

SCP
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
G'day Byron I have been watching you play with AR3 for some time now and it has been a marvel to watch what you come up with next.Always a pleasure to view your wonderful works of Art.:):):)

byroncallas
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks everybody for your warm and receptive comments. Very much appreciated. Here's a few more - many in the thread are just experiments with the new tools. I hope most prove to be interesting. :)

Juz
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
You are the master of the sophisticated rainbow

Perfectly stated
Byron, a masterful exciting collection, its hard to believe you've been so prolific in both painting and diligent bug testing. :eek: Tip of the hat :)

coops
12-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh my word Byron, what splendid paintings. I was going to select a favourite but hey love them all:)

Alexandra
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow Byron, these are fantastic! Well done!!!!:)

Boxy
12-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Incredible Byron. Every image sucks you in, there is so much to look at!
Sav

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Everyone, thanks so much for all the enthusiastic feedback. Gigantically appreciated. :):):)
Here are a few more - hope your enjoy.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 02:01 AM
.................................................. ..........

Nickillus
12-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Your new paint tool experimentations are eye-poppingly fascinaing Byron. The joy in them leaps off the page. Makes you just want to jump right in and start playing. Excellent.

Ann Timmy
12-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Oh my goodness. What an astounding group of abstracts. They are so colorful and alive and imaginative. Each is original. You just seem to be all over the place. I really like your whole collection here and will spend more time looking closer at them. I guess all I can say is wow wow wow. :):):):):)

screenpainter
12-02-2009, 05:17 AM
You have an amazing energy. It has been a great thing to witness your burst of constant creativity Byron. Much to look at here. Just amazing explorations.

DMerchen
12-02-2009, 05:23 AM
These are great. I am looking forward to the blur you have used in some of these. Gives it some nice depth. Wonderful.

hanzz
12-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Energy and color ! Yes! AR3 to the top !

Ann Timmy
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I've been wondering how you did that first painting all the way at the beginning of your thread. It's so intricate, delicate, and beautiful. :)

Lima
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Byron. This early morning was surprised with this AR3 prerelease. Saw your abstracts and wow, what a continuous display of good art. A precious moment to atend should I say. Thanks to you and all the other artists this was really a true significant moment in AR story. Congratulations to you my friend. Outstanding or killer as you use to say.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Oriane - thanks a lot my friend - and thanks for your warm comments in the gallery. You're a prince.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you Nick,Albert, Hanzz, DMerchen, Rose, Sav, Juz, Pai, Scott, Col, Flynn, Suzi, Evart, Jester, Fashmir, SOS, Alexandra (I hope I haven't missed anybody) and all from previous posts. Really appreciate all your warm thoughts and great feedback. And yes, it's exciting now seeing all the new AR3 works getting displayed. I think we're all on pins and needles waiting for the any day now release. Thanks again all. :):):)

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
I've been wondering how you did that first painting all the way at the beginning of your thread. It's so intricate, delicate, and beautiful. :)

Thank you Ann. That painting is done entirely with the new Gloop Ink Pen. It has wonderful properties for laying down ink in a variety ways. It's a remarkably versatile tool - I think it's sensational. Thank you so much for asking.

Ann Timmy
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Byron, that's really interesting - the Gloop pen - what a name. I bet that's the same tool you used on the painting that seems to have a fishy being swimming in a magical world of color? That one is so fun, so upbeat, with lots of charm and humor. Is that the gloopy too?

screenpainter
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Byron it's amazing to look at time and time again. It is like seeing the unseen universe around us. Pulsing, changing, vibrating, humming, colorful and very much art. You are tapped in it would seem.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Byron, that's really interesting - the Gloop pen - what a name. I bet that's the same tool you used on the painting that seems to have a fishy being swimming in a magical world of color? That one is so fun, so upbeat, with lots of charm and humor. Is that the gloopy too?

Ann - yes, that's the Gloop pen alright. And it has many other uses. I'm glad you like that little piece. It was one of my very first AR3 efforts - and the gloop pen is a really cool tool. :):)

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 05:18 PM
STICKERS STICKERS STICKERS

Artrage 3 Studio Pro has two new related and powerful tools:1) Stickers that peal off sheets like real stickers and that can be manipulated as individual objects, and 2) a sticker spray gun tool that lets you spray stickers in a near infinite variety of patterns.

The program comes with oodles of pre-made stickers. They are wonderful and varied. They are all fun, many are stunning, and all are useful for an infinite variety of art and craft applications. I've fallen in love with them.

What I additionally appreciate is that you can create your own stickers from simple to the most marvelously elaborate and use them to make unique brushes to get specific effects, or use them as "pointals" to create your own mosaic-like paintings.

Below are just a few examples of stickers I've made along with some spray patterns for them, a painting using those many stickers, a painting using only one sticker with numerous spray variations with near infinite properties, and an example of a sticker with a swatch sheet that shows the variety of textures that can be created with just that one sticker using various spray variations, colors and brush sizes.

I and others will post many more examples. So consider this the barest minimum taste of just what one beta tester has started. These don't begin to scratch the surface of what is possible with these two new tools. Stay tuned for many more examples for introducing these great new tools. You'll see many and far better examples posted by other beta testers in this forum section beginning today and over the next few weeks, including excellent tutorials they have prepared. :):):)

Meanwhile, several paintings that I posted above are constructed from my sticker brushes and "pointals". You can probably re-look at several and figure out which ones they are (though some are subtle and could fool you). :);)

To see these well it will help if you blow them up full screen.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
The following were experiments with the sticker tools:

First are two paintings made with a single sticker sheet with multiple stickers. The stickers on the sheet were originally painted with the gloop tool. They were then turned into stickers on a single sticker sheet using the sticker creator. The two painting experiments were then made with the sticker spray gun to output the stickers.
The third image, a 3D-like painting, was created using a single sticker I created for its textural properties. The spray variation module allows for the creation of repeated instances of the sticker to make snake-like chains that are evident in the experiment, settings used to construct the entire painting.
The last two images are swatches of spray variation patterns possible with two different sticker sheets. I use these swatch examples as references to remind me of what can be done with a range of spray variation and brush size settings that I have created with a particular sticker. I've found the swatches are fun to make and are interesting paintings in and of themselves.:):)
To see these well it will help if you blow them up full screen.

Docsmith626
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Want. Want. Want.

Gray
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Holy crap, it's freaking 3D! I so want to try this thing out.

pai
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I already love this Gloop pen..and stickers. Love your Regressions and Hustle creations. Awesome.

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks all. Yes, don't the stickers open up exciting possibilities, with a kind of limitless sense of opportunity subject only to your imagination?

Here are some other examples:

The first image is an example using a sticker sheet with 25 stickers as brush pointals to create textures in your paintings. The image acts as reference to show the kinds of texture that can be produced with various spray variations when the sticker is processed through the sticker spray gun tool. The border on this image shows a wide variety of other outputs possible with this particular sticker sheet.
The next two images are demonstration examples of several individual stickers showing a small variety of spray variations possible with several different sticker sheets.
The fourth image shows a range of spray variation possibilities with a specific sticker sheet.
The last image is another abstract construction using several sticker sheet constructions as "pointals" to create the entire demonstration image. It is a useful reference for remembering what can be accomplished with these particular sticker sheets when processed through the sticker spray gun tool.To see these well it will help if you blow them up full screen.

Juz
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Stickerlicious Byron
These rock...i expect you and i may end up bogging the whole app down with multitudes of custom sticker adds hehee :)

pai
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Bryon, after seeing the sticker panel just posted in General Chat by Dave http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237845&postcount=32 with your various abstract creations with these new tools. I can imagine there are unlimited ways to use these new tools to create unexpected creative art pieces from all AR3 users soooon. It's gonna be HUGE surprises. I can feel that. :eek::eek:;)

SCP
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM
More amazing Byron AR3 Goodness! Great sticker work,also really love your Texture4fun paintings,something for everyone in here!:):):)

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Bryon, after seeing the sticker panel just posted in General Chat by Dave http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237845&postcount=32 with your various abstract creations with these new tools. I can imagine there are unlimited ways to use these new tools to create unexpected creative art pieces from all AR3 users soooon. It's gonna be HUGE surprises. I can feel that. :eek::eek:;)

Juz: I think you might be on to something. How many stickers can you stuff into a bread box?:)

Pai, I can say with certainty "yes" the combination of the sticker sheets and sticker spray gun tool with it's intricate spray variation tweakings that you reference in Dave's post provide a near infinite variety of possibilities. It isn't some kind of one flavor tool that will make everybody's work look the same. Rather, the creative individuality that each artist brings to the tool will generate totally unique artistic expressions, just like any other artist tool. As other beta testers start to post their sticker work you'll see it's unique to their artistic sensibilities, completely different than my examples. It's a cool tool and I think it will make waves. Digital artists are going to create unique, very individual artistic miracles with it. I think it's very exciting. :):):) Then, setting all that aside, it's just plain fun. Casual users will have fun, children will have fun. And the stickers by themselves without the spray gun serve so many wonderful craft purposes. Then add to that, you can make individual stickers behave as individual objects. You can even spray out a thousand and if the setting was the "object spray" setting, you can reposition a single sticker or ten or whatever to get a visual arrangment that is exactly what you want. Pretty darn versatile, and I've probably only addressed half of it. :):):)

Sethren
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I will hold ambient design personally responsible for keeping me up all night for many months ahead. :p

Fashmir
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah Byron! Breakin' out the stickers! Go buddy!!! :D:D:D

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Scott, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. Really glad to see you in here. It must be morning down under. :)

Yes Fashmir, the muzzle is off. :D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::coo l:

Sethren, yes, if you get the Jones, you're sunk. I heard Ambient is taking out sticker insurance. :):)

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Addressing a couple of questions raised above, the "background" in this painting is accomplished with a brush preset I made that processes the four stickers on the sticker sheet that can be seen in the program screen in the second image below. A variety of outputs are obtained by tweaking spray variations settings, brush size, color selections, spray rates and shadow selections.

I created the sticker to get certain types of textures ranging from smooth to rough with different textural and color patterns. The image below shows just one of those desired patterns. If you examine the fourth image in the post above you can see this same sticker used with many different spray settings giving completely different brush outputs.

The example below is just one of a million ways to use the tool. I'm just showing this example as one of many to get the idea across.

Sethren
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Um, WOW!!! :cool:

byroncallas
12-02-2009, 09:53 PM
This was my first full-on AR3 painting. As a beta tester I was creating it to try each tool while looking for bugs. Because there were of course bugs, it took me several days to complete. Now that program bugs have been near all eliminated it should take a day or so (for me) to make a construction like this without being hampered by faulty software. AR3 is running like a charm.

Each section is painted with the actual tool represented in the painting. It was a lot of fun - sort of creating a little homage to the new program and all its tools while putting each to the test.

Blow it up full screen, it will be easier to see each represented tool. And by the way, most sections were painted inside a "select" area using the new "select" and "transform" tools to build the grid, help keep outer sections masked when painting inside, and, when necessary, reorganize sections. They are cool tools. :):cool:

silvy
12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Only one word: STREPITOSOOOOO:D:eek::D

byroncallas
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
TURNING A STICKER INTO A UNIQUE BRUSH

Here is an example of creating a sticker to turn it into a brush. In this case I was looking for something that could be transformed into producing cloth thread effects, and thistle effects, and could also provide subtle texture and color variation when painting relatively smooth surfaces. Having already experimented, I felt the sticker drawing here might do the trick.
The drawing was made with the ink pen.
Then I imported it to the sticker creator to turn it into a sticker.
Then, using the sticker spray gun tool and its versatile spray gun variation module, I was able to make several "preset" brushes to accomplish the task.

The first image below shows different swatches of design and texture being made with various settings.

The second is the final swatch image that I can use as a future reference to remind me of what the new brush presets can do.

The third is a painting using various spray variations for the sticker, with focus on the thistle qualities. The whole painting is made with brushes made from this sticker. Again, I make little paintings like this for future reference.

With a little practice you can make brushes to accomplish just about anything. And you can get many happy surprises from your sticker brushes just playing with the infinitely variable spray variation module, the color picker, the brush sizer, and the spray variation rate. For example, it is changing the brush size (in part) that transoms the output of this sticker from providing rough, thistle-like textures to producing variable smooth surfaces with subtle color variations.

Lima
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
A real class on AR3. Beyond beautiful and tasteful you present the many facets of AR3 in a very didactic and precise way. Wow, congratulations Byron.

pai
12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Just can't stop visiting your thread whenever you posted a screenshot of that kind of "matrix" panel. :p It's so excited to see how you made those stickers from it and at the same time my mind is visually working/playing too..ha..ha. The last one is very creative pattern and color.

byroncallas
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Pai, thanks so much for your return visits and warm response. Your enthusiasm is infectious and lifts me up. :):)

Oriane - my good friend - thanks for that particular and specific feedback - much appreciated. And I can tell you that you will very much appreciate the advancements in AR3. I'm much looking forward to what you are going to do with it. :):):)

Rose - you remain the bestest - thanks for always being a champion. :):):cool::)

Juz
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Adore that last piece Byron
Looks like textile art.. who would believe it was digital paint :)

Caesar
12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
If anyone wishes to have an idea of how powerful the new ArtRage is and how great is Your art talent, dear Byron, there's no better place than to come here and ecstatically see this gallery rolling out under his eyes!

Rob in Denver
12-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Byron--I have enjoyed looking at your Ar3 work here ( for some reason I cannot seem to see any of the later attachments-just nothing there--if this a Mac thing? Makes me crazy as I want to see...) anyway, cool work, and I am sure it will only get better as everyone settles into it.
I have been too overwhelmed to even respond to any thread but yours!

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Silvy: Thanks for the resounding cheer. :)

Juz: As ever, thanks for continuing to drop in with your fun observations. Terrif. You're a pal. :)

Caesar: Thanks dear friend - you are the prince of princes.:)

Rob: So GREAT to see you pop in and much appreciate your kind words. I've missed you. :):) I'm not sure why you aren't seeing some of the images - they all show up for me. But I'm having a similar problem when visiting Cedric's great thread - makes me think maybe a problem in the forum displays??? Probably worth checking out.

Lee
12-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Dear Byron, at this time i cannot see your new pictures, but guess "They" are remodeling right now, temporary inconvenience permanent improvement, but am sure your new things are very amazing :)

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Dear Byron, at this time i cannot see your new pictures, but guess "They" are remodeling right now, temporary inconvenience permanent improvement, but am sure your new things are very amazing :)
Thanks Lee, probably you are right. These two threads suggest site maintenance over the next day may be inferring?

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=238597#post238597

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24198

I hope you and others will come back for a visit. Lots of great stuff being posted all over this new forum section for AR3. It's worth the trip. :):):)

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Ohhh, I'm getting e-mails saying can't see my pics - and it seems to be true for most threads in the forums. See post from Andy at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24214&page=2

Certainly when the current maintenance is completed everything will be back up and running. :):):):)

And now, for a moment of ZaZen. :):):)

EDIT: Yay!!!! We're back up and running again.

Lee
12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Dear Byron, I Can See Them Now!! you must have been in virtual Heaven doing these bauties!! , wish they had titles so i could tell you my fav's but they are all terrific,,, really like the one with the little boy with the propeller on his head, all real teasers for the AR3, just wonderful!!!!:)

Sketchism71
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Byron! By the response everyone is giving, these must be incredible images unfortunately the attachments are not showing up for me:mad: This appears to be a separate problem from the one earlier today when none of the attachments were showing up on any of the threads. This is the only thread that I still cannot see any attachments. Did you remove them or am I missing something? Hope all is well with you, sounds like you have been busy testing my Christmas gift:D!

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey Byron! By the response everyone is giving, these must be incredible images unfortunately the attachments are not showing up for me:mad: This appears to be a separate problem from the one earlier today when none of the attachments were showing up on any of the threads. This is the only thread that I still cannot see any attachments. Did you remove them or am I missing something? Hope all is well with you, sounds like you have been busy testing my Christmas gift:D!

Hi Sketch. Wow. I don't know why you can't see the images there must be about 30 in the thread. I'm not sure what to do, but I'll follow up with Matt/Dave/Andy and see if they can point us in the right direction.
EDIT: Eddie, here's the feedback from Dave:
Hi Byron, Looks ok here when I try a couple of different browsers. Probably a good call for them to do a refresh of the page as it appears that the forums themselves are displaying the images correctly. Perhaps they have a cached page from when the server was undergoing maintenance earlier.
Otherwise, they can email me at [email protected] with the details of the problem and I'll do my best to help them out.
Best Regards,Dave
EDIT: Also try the "clear recent history" selection on the tools menu in Firefox. That just solved a similar problem for me viewing another thread.

Sketchism71
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Good God! Those are incredible!:eek::eek: Applause first and for most to you and the artistry and talent behind the creation of these. I hope AR3 comes with a "Byron" tool!:rolleyes: What a fantastic thread. Over 2000 views and over 75 comments in just 3 days. I think that is an AR record!

As far as the earlier issue. The images are still not showing up in Firefox (even after refreshing the thread) but they do show up in Explorer. I will try to re boot later and see if anything changes... Very strange. Maybe Firefox cannot handle the extreme Byron pixelation and color contortions.:D

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Eddie, thanks so much for the many thumbs up. You know how much I admire your paintings. To me they are all "Ambient Highlights". I just saw your "Mayflower" for the first time and about fell out of my chair; and likewise Rosy was totally bowled over. I'm much looking forward to what you'll do with AR3 - I know you are going to be thrilled with it. Thanks again for your exuberant review and good humor too. Very much appreciated. :):):)

byroncallas
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
A Fun Writing & Line Brush

Here is a fun example that in and of itself demonstrates how a sticker sheet can be turned into a useful brush.

The four colored squares are the simplest of possible stickers. You can visually grasp how they could be joined together to make a colorful writing brush, which is illustrated in the image below. Simple approaches like this will be fun for children and adults alike to create all kinds of fun tools for projects.

From this simple example it can be easy to grasp how various shapes, lines, textures and colors can be brought together in myriads of ways to make all manner of useful brushes to accomplish all sorts of tasks. For those who like puzzles (like me) it can be fun to dream up brush possibilities just for the exhilaration of discovering what's possible. :):):):)

Blow up the image full screen and you can see very clearly how the stickers come together to create this particular brush.

Juz
12-05-2009, 03:17 AM
That sticker brush is so :cool: Cool McCool ... love how direction changes the colour emphasis:)

byroncallas
12-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Juz & Rose:
Thank you both so much. Big smiles - chocolate too. :):):):)

byroncallas
12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
A Tutorial
Taking Advantage of the SELECT Tool to
Create a Stylized Abstract Painting

The new select tool in AR3 has many uses. One of them is selecting an area in which to paint while the rest of the canvas is masked. You can select many areas at once to create a complex graphic design with many shapes that can then be painted into while the rest of the canvas is masked. It can dramatically speed up creating, for example, an abstract that has a complex grid of forms.

This tutorial illustrates a simple process in ten steps and spreads over three posts.

STEPS 1 THROUGH 5: The images are in order below. They are best viewed blown up full screen.

Image 1: Use the SELECT tool to start a gridded layout of forms. (You can make squares, rectangles, circles, ovals or any manner of odd shapes.)

Image 2: Complete the grid. This can be accomplished in a matter of minutes with the add, subtract and replace features of the select tool.

Image 3: Inside the grid area, use the ink pen to quickly color in the grid and make a stencil with the “create stencil from layer” feature. This is helpful in case you “deactivate” the live grid at any time.

Image 4: For this painting fill the grid area with a “bump” type paint (glitter and tube paint are best for this) which will be used later to create dimensionality in the forms. I used glitter.

Image 5: On a new layer, create a background (Not necessary now, but I have done so here to give me ideas about how I want to lay out color. You’ll notice later I change my mind about the background.)

byroncallas
12-05-2009, 02:06 PM
STEPS 6 THROUGH 10: The images are in order below. They are best viewed blown up full screen.

Image 6: On a layer on top of the glitter, with the INK PEN, fill in with a color that will act as a base for the forms (I chose a deep red). Then work the glitter on its layer with the palette knife to shape into forms. The blur setting works wonders here.

Image 7: Create a new top layer and get creative with color and light. Here I’ve used the ink pen, gloop pen and airbrush to develop design, color, shadow and highlights.

Image 8: Continue to work the forms and color refinements, continuing to use the select area (or stencil) as a mask.

Image 9: Continue to refine. Here I changed the background to a near solid bright yellow. I felt it made the forms pop better (and my wife made me do it).

Image 10: Merge the layers and clean up the painting. I used the palette knife blur feature to help with some bad pixels around the edges of some forms, and continue with color, shadow and highlight refinements. But this is about it.

byroncallas
12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Image 11: The Final Painting.
If you followed the steps, you’ll see AR3 makes it easy to construct a painting like this. Construct them any way you like to suite your style and creative sensibilities. This exercise took about four hours. Normally I’d do considerably more refinements, but hope this gets the idea across.

Best viewed blown up full screen and viewed at a distance.

pai
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Your tutorial and explanation is so great that I can visualize in my head at the same time you provide all these screenshots to show the power of these tools and the unlimited way of combining them and create unexpected result. Thanks so much for these, Byron. :)

Juz
12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Great instruction of the boolean operators for selection... you'll have to remember to transfer that tutorial over to the tutorial section come launch :)

sandyg
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Amazing Byron wonderful work and informative tutorials, I'm really looking forward to 3.
Sandyg.

Sethren
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I made a PDF document out of the tutorial but i hope that you do not mind me doing so.

http://rapidshare.com/files/316468997/Taking_Advantage_of_the_SELECT_Tool_to_Create_a_St ylized_Abstract_Painting_by___byroncallas__.pdf.ht ml

screenpainter
12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
wow no wonder we have hubble telescopes and space stations. I had no idea the human mind could work that well. You have an amazing mind my friend. :)
And a huge inventory of energy. :)

byroncallas
12-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Dear Pai, Juz, Sandyg, Sethren, & Albert, thank you each for the enthusiastic, upbeat feedback. The tutorial was a lot of fun to do. It's doubly fun if it turns out to be helpful. :):):)

Sethren: yes, thanks so much for making the PDF of the tutorial and pasting a link so people can download it. It came out great.
EDIT: Sethren, people are reporting the link isn't working. So I've uploaded to my 4-share account and it can be downloaded at
http://www.4shared.com/file/16633023...stractart.html (http://www.4shared.com/file/166330230/8fbc073d/AR3-BCallas-_tut-abstractart.html)
as an alternative for anyone interested. Thanks again for making the PDF. That was very thoughtful of you. :):):):)

Thanks again everyone. I much appreciate your kind thoughts. :)

Silentman
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Byron, excellent tutorial, i went to download this morning and unfortunately the download at Rapidshare is broken for some reason, i'll check back soon though.

Excellent tutorial Byron, gave me many ideas :)

byroncallas
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Byron, excellent tutorial, i went to download this morning and unfortunately the download at Rapidshare is broken for some reason, i'll check back soon though. Excellent tutorial Byron, gave me many ideas :)

Thanks a lot Col. And yes, that link seems to be having problems. I've uploaded it up to my own 4-Share account. Try downloading from the following URL and give a yell if it fails.
http://www.4shared.com/file/166330230/8fbc073d/AR3-BCallas-_tut-abstractart.html

Thanks again Col. Much appreciated. :):)

Boxy
12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Amazing stuff Byron!
Cheers

fraser_paice
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Stunning stuff!

Lima
12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Great Byron.

byroncallas
12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Sav, Neil, Orianne: Thanks much all. :):):)

Silentman
12-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Yup worked like a charm, thanks for showing the service to me as well, i was looking for a 2nd good hosting site :D

Belvrog
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow. Haven't read everything of the information you've offered in here so far. But definitely have to come back and read through it. Great paintings. Your paintings with the gloop pen are fantastic Byron.

Particularly I like "dots boy with hat-ARUP","gloop multi color d-ARUP" and "Gloop Pen Regressions-ARUP".
:cool::cool:

byroncallas
12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Belvrog, thanks so much. I think you know I'm a fan of your work. Your positive feedback is likewise rewarding and much appreciated. :)

byroncallas
12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
This is an experiment with AR3 tools for textural effects pushing for near 3D properties. Tools were Oil Paint Brush, Ink Pen, Air Brush, Tube Paint, Glitter, Paint Roller, Chalk, Select Tool Feathering, Palette Knife and eraser. 100% AR3. No filters or blend modes.

The visual effects come properly into focus if the image is blown up full screen and viewed standing several feet back. Hope you like. :)

screenpainter
12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
That's a really interesting surface texture and terrain. I likey.

Juz
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Great effect Byron, zoomed out it reminds me of rock full of minerals... when you zoom in theres loads of interesting details going on :)

shechat
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you for such amazing examples and for sharing your expertise Byroncallas and thank you Sethren for taking time to make the PDF. I downloaded from your latest link without a problem.

Lima
12-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey Byron, great AR3 possibilities here. Very nice experiment. Thanks.

byroncallas
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Oriane, Juz, Albert, shechat: Thanks bunches, much appreciated. :):):)

byroncallas
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
A New Gloop Pen Exercise

Here is a new study with the wonderful and versatile Gloop Pen Tool, new in AR3. Meanwhile, the subtleties in the border were quickly accomplished with one of the sticker spray brush presets I made for painting just such subtle surface variances. Hope you like.
Comments and commentary welcomed.
100% AR3. No filters or blend modes.
Built in visual affects will come in to focus if blown up full screen and seen from a distance.

Nickillus
12-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Your thread is a pure education in what a lively mind, highly creative talent and this software can accomplish, young Byron. Outstanding stuff.

Juz
12-09-2009, 03:44 AM
That is immensely cool :cool: and you get to say 'made with gloop' too which is also darn cool :):D

byroncallas
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Nick: Thanks much for the enthusiastic feedback. Most certainly made my day for sure. :)

Juzzy Gal - Thanks for keeping on popping in and adding your great spirit and always enjoyable exchanges in the thread. And here, thanks for the good chuckle too "Made with Gloop" indeed.

Rose: LOL: I do hope it isn't Ebola - that wouldn't look so good on my resume. And likewise, thanks so much for continuing to pop in, even if maybe you are just trolling for chocolate. :):):)

screenpainter
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Great gobs of gloop! Too cool! :) You have inspired me to do some more glooping. I will just have to add my latest gloop piece to my thread. :)

byroncallas
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Albert - yes, let the gloop games begin. :) And thanks bunches.

Rose - chocolate spaghetti. Now there is a concept I can get into. Beat Ebola any day of the week.:D

Jim Walsh
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Byron,
What have I been missing? These are fanastic and incredible. Wow and Double WOW! The 3D look in the second post from the top just blew my mind. I'll be revisiting these generous tutorials for sure.
Jim

byroncallas
12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Jim, thanks so much for dropping by and your warm feedback. Great to see your avatar pop up - I much appreciate your kind thoughts. :)

byroncallas
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
A new entry: Built using two sets of foil stickers I created in the new AR3 Sticker maker, and selective use of the new palette knife, select, and transform features. Hope you enjoy:

100% Artrage 3 Studio Professional;
no filters or blends were used.
Built in visual effects will come into focus if blown up full screen and viewed from a distance.

Sketchism71
12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Fantastic Byron! This thread is a treasure!

SCP
12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I love the worms and the use of focus on your latest additions.:):)As always a treat to step back into The Byron Gallery!;):):)

Juz
12-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Byron the foil came up amazing.. makes me wonder what other 'found object' art could be made with this amazing sticker tool. :)

Caesar
12-10-2009, 04:14 AM
A huge, peerless and magnificent gallery of marvels exploiting and showing both, Your sublime visual art sensitivity and talent, and the power of ArtRage3, dear Byron. A really killer-outcome! :eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::):):)

byroncallas
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Juz, Eddie, Caesar, & Scott: Thanks so much for continuing to drop in and all the encouraging comments. You guys are the tops. :)

byroncallas
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
A new AR3 experiment throwing at it most of the tools: Ink Pen, Gloop Pen, Tube Paint, Oil Brush, Chalk, Airbrush, Wet Blender, Flat Blender, Blur Blender, Soft Blender, Cayon, Pencil, Eraser, Paint Roller, Sticker Spray Gun. This was a lot of fun to do. I hope you like it. Comments welcomed.
100% AR3 Studio Pro
Built in special effects will come into focus if enlarged to full screen and viewed at a distance.

Juz
12-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Wow Byron, this is wonderful... like some futuristic landscape. Great new addition :):)

Bumble
12-11-2009, 02:58 AM
You have some wonderful work here Byron:D Excellent :):):)

pai
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
You did it again..ha..ha. The more I see your creations the more I feel I am charged with full energy. Like an engine starter. :) The last one is like looking at those roller-coasters, water-slides, all different playful stuffs see in wonderland on a brightful day. Amazing also how you put a perspective in it. The only tool ..I cannot find is which area you used pencil tool :p

screenpainter
12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Byron, I like your latest one... featuring all the tools. Great idea and it does have a very futuristic look to it. It's quite amazing.

byroncallas
12-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Juz, Albert, Pai, Bumble: Thank you each for the the enthusiastic and kind words. Sure does make my day. Much appreciated. :)

Pai, you are quite observant. :) I replaced an area where I had used the pencil with work with another tool and forgot it when I was making the list. I guess I'm busted. :D:D

Eileen724
12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Wow....you're like the Energizer Bunny on steroids using ArtRage3!!! All of your artworks using ArtRage3 are phenomenal at best, Bryon!!! I need to go back through this thread a few times to digest it all! What a wonderful and great thing you did as well as sharing your expertise with this community! I can't wait to get ArtRage3 with all the others from this forum!!! Thanks!

byroncallas
12-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Thanks een for the thumbs up. And happy holidays fast approaching.:)

Belvrog
12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi Byron, that's a really great thread. Thanks for sharing all these information. And "Glooparama" is outstanding!!! Definitely one of my favorites of yours!!! Love it.

byroncallas
12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Belvrog, very much appreciated. :):):)

Gray
12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
@Byron: These are great, I can't imagine how long it takes you to make one of these. Thanks for sticking these out!

@The ArtRage Crew: I think the tension has built enough, can we have AR3 now please?

pai
12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Great signature image, Byron. Looking forward for your tutorialsss. :D

Gray, there is an announcement here on the release date, Dec 14th. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24526 :)

byroncallas
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Gray, Pai, much thanks.

Gray, I think the AR3 release is literally any minute now. :):):)

Khalid_ipda
12-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Wow....byroncallas, all paintings looks very very beautiful. You have produced all beautiful abstract painting. :):):)

byroncallas
12-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Great works all over. You must be full of energy producing such a lot of imagery. One question; where do you get your inspiration? For me it seems like you are in love with the medium and the tool itself, I mean the computer and ArtRage. True? Ore are your pictures results of some imagination or some dreams? Me, myself, always get inspiration outside myself in the "real" world. Are your images all computer/artrage-dreams? I wonder...

Thank you Sweedie. I much appreciate you dropping by and sharing your thoughts. I'm such an admirer of your work, so it's nice to have you drop by, comment, and question.

To answer your question, and thanks for asking, I think it's fair to say I get my inspiration from a myriad of sources both internal and in the "real" world. While I love the computer and Artrage (and other forms of image generation both traditional and modern) I can't say they are the inspiration. They are tools that make it possible to translate ideas into visual reality, and different tools result in different outcomes, something I know you well understand.

A lot of inspiration comes as pieces develop. What's already on the canvas seems to inspire new directions, either for the painting at hand or for other new paintings. [In this sense, a tool (like Artrage) contributes to inspiration by suddenly revealing new possibilities in the act of using it.] It's a sort of visual feedback loop of looking, evaluating, making a decision, acting with a stroke, and starting with looking again. I look a lot. And I undo a lot.

I don't mean to be obscure, but as a painting develops the inspiration to move it forward to what it becomes comes from the work-in-progress itself. I liken it to an evolving conversation between me and what's already on the canvas. We conspire together to move an idea forward. Progress may deviate considerably from any originating idea by the time it is completed. In the process there may be a lot of creation and destruction until the final image materializes, settles down, and comes to completion. In a sense, inspiration is always fresh, in the moment.

I suppose my greatest inspiration for process came when viewing the 1954 film "The Mystery of Picasso" which showed him creating 20 paintings from start to finish, clearly drawing on the entirety of his experinece both internal and external, and allowing the painting at hand to inform the next action. That action could include destroying the whole of the work to that point, having triggered new directions that resulted in complete replacement.

That film was liberating for me. After seeing it I found the whole of my experinece, which of course includes the "real" world, was a breeding ground for ideas, and any idea was worth a shot to see if it had legs. I only needed the courage to give it a shot. The only limitation becomes my personal aesthetic sensibilities, which are visible in my output. From time to time it's probably a good idea for me to challenge those sensibilities before becoming entrenched in an inextricable aesthetic rut. :)

In closing, I doubt there is anything special or unusual about my process. It would describe one not unlike that of some landscape painters (for example) who paint large and very realistic landscapes from their imagination. :)

byroncallas
12-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Khalid, thank you so much for dropping by, and for your encouraging feedback. :)

pai
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Very inspiring question and answer from both Sweedie and Bryon about abstract paintings or even about to make a painting.

.....A lot of inspiration comes as pieces develop. What's already on the canvas seems to inspire new directions, either for the painting at hand or for other new paintings. [In this sense, a tool (like Artrage) contributes to inspiration by suddenly revealing new possibilities in the act of using it.] It's a sort of visual feedback loop of looking, evaluating, making a decision, acting with a stroke, and starting with looking again....

Byron, since I am not good in expressing/writing in English, you have said it very well...that is how I did my abstract. That's why I love Artrage very much. I felt once I use the tools, the hand just flows..and let it guides naturally my next move.

...comes from the work-in-progress itself. I liken it to an evolving conversation between me and what's already on the canvas. We conspire together to move an idea forward.....

that's how I felt when I use Artrage to do my paintings, I felt talking to them. glad to know I'm not crazy. :p

Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts. :)

byroncallas
12-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi Pai, thank you ever so much for your feedback and thoughts.

You are not at all crazy. I don't think there is anything unusual about the process. It's a description of how many people experience the creative process - the act of creation. It is not unlike a similar process that some writers experience in writing a novel, or some composers experience when composing a symphony.

I think it is hard for anyone to articulate their experience of the creative process, and I've taken a shot at explaining what it's like for me. Of course, other people may have an altogether different experience and approach to working. But the one I have described I believe is a common one, and why you are able to easily identify it as at least one way that you create paintings.

Thanks again for responding. It's helpful to know that writing things like this serve a purpose. I appreciate the feedback very much. :)

Rob in Denver
12-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Byron! The last time I was on this thread I was unable to view anything. As the thread got longer I was reluctant to even start in on it, but I am glad I did.
The paintings are remarkable ( faint praise, but words fail me after looking through them all in 30 minutes time). The instructions will take time ( and AR3) to begin to digest.
I have to say, the Artrage guys chose well when asking you to do Beta testing!
Your description of the creative process was right on. You phrased it in a more concise and perfect way than I think I have ever seen in written, and I saved that to put somewhere where I can read it again and again, when I say I feel no inspiration.
And I am wondering if that Picasso movie is out there somewhere, still to be seen. I am wondering if you recall the name? Or maybe you already gave that?--my head is still spinning from this thread!
Great work! Thanks for doing it.

byroncallas
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Rob, thank you ever so much. I'm VERY happy you had a chance to spend a little time with the thread - you being one of the first people to greet me with open arms (open canvas maybe?) into this wonderful forum. I've appreciated your feedback and enthusiasm from day one. I've said it before and I'll say it a again, you're a prince.

I believe you can get the movie "The Mystery of Picasso" at Amazon. It's an inspirational, near enlightening experience, especially the very last section. It's been over 20 years since I last saw it. But it remains one of the most influential experiences of my life.

Thanks again my good friend.

Lima
12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Byron can you imagine your paintings arranged in a large modern hall, a soft background music. Wow, color and joy to all sides. He, he, I can imagine ... A work of first lead in digital art.:eek:

Rob in Denver
12-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I am happy to report that "The Mystery of Picasso" is actually available from Netflixs!! I am getting it! Thanks for the recommendation.

sandyg
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I keep looking through Byron, you are amazing with colour.
I love the foil effect sticker you created, turned out really well.
You've really beta tested well and provided some great tutorials , thank you for your beta testing, we should have a good stable software, thanks to you guys syphoning out the bugs.
Really great work unique to you Byron, well done.
Sandyg.

Carmen
12-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Hi Byron,
I have been away from ArtRage for a while, for multiple reasons.

Coming back pleases me so much, especially to see what you have/are doing.

What an explosion of colors, creations, combinations, 3D effect, etc.
Wow, wow, wow Things like these make me feel going back to paint
again. Congratulations Byron. Love and hugs, Carmen

byroncallas
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Oriane: thanks a lot. I like the idea - so does my wife. If only....:):)

Rob: that's great. I do hope you'll share your experience of the film. I should probably watch it again - it's been to long. :)

Sandy: thanks so much. It was a lot of fun - a good experience for me. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. Don't be a stranger - come back soon. :):):)

Carmen: Hey there, welcome back. I went back to refresh my memory of your paintings - all terrific works - fun reviewing them again. I'm glad you're back and hope you'll be posting more again soon. Thanks for your warm comments - much appreciated.

Thanks again all.

Sketchism71
12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
What is to become of this thread Byron? Hopefully all the threads in the pre-release section will be transferred somewhere safe. This thread needs it's own zip code!:D:D Killer stuff!

byroncallas
12-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi Sketch, thanks again. I believe these threads will remain available, merged in some way with the general gallery. Whatever the plan, they won't disappear. I'm sure we'll be hearing from Dave when they're ready to work their administrative magic. I believe the context is "no worries".

And Eddie, thanks again for kicking around in here with all your good vibrations. I really appreciate it. :):)

byroncallas
12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm uploading this AR3 drawing from my post at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24195
to keep this AR3 thread complete. 100% AR3, pencil tool. :)

byroncallas
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Here is a test design integrating two stickers I made and related brushes made with them, along with Ink Pen, pencil, tube paint, glitter, and palette knife.

100% AR3, no filters or blend modes.

Built in effects come into focus when blown up full screen and viewed at a distance. Hope you enjoy.:)

byroncallas
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi All. I will continue to post my new AR3 paintings to this thread unless the poor thing just up and dies. Meanwhile, thanks everyone for all your visits, fun exchanges, and all around warmth and enthusiasm. :):):):):):)

ENCHANTER
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
wonderful and colourful as always!:D

sandyg
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Byron did you get any problems at all with the pencil tool I seem to get a problem both in studio and pro, that building is drawn beautifully.
Sandyg.

byroncallas
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Enchanter: Thanks much for your kind words.

Sandy: No, I've found the pencil in AR3 to be very responsive. Attached is a screenshot using each of the presets you see in the presets panel. Lots of variety there, and truthfully, with the various settings dials, and then add in color if you want, or different canvas textures, the possibilities seem near endless. Where does it seem to be breaking down for you? Let's go exploring. And thanks for the warm feedback on the drawing - much appreciated. :)
(If you blow the image up full size you'll see the strokes and the way the graphite is laid down much better. )

sandyg
12-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you Byron, I was wondering what the problem was, but I went to the tech thread and one of the Rage boys told me the smooth setting could be the trouble, I turned it off and both the ink pen and pencil perform as they should.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help it's much appreciated, I used the pencil a lot in rage 2 the new ink pen is good too, mind you there's so many new points and we'll discover new along the way.
Thanks again Byron, I couldn't reply to your private email I didn't see an option there.
Sandyg.

byroncallas
12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Great Sandy,
Both the new ink pen and the pencil tool are world's apart different from AR2.5. In AR3 they are truly superior tools. The ink pen seems near my favorite tool now - I seem to use it in everything everywhere all the time. :):):)

EDIT: btw, there is a little tiny reply button down in the far right hand corner of the open message for responding to an open PM message. :)

sandyg
12-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh I didn't see one, is it very small I might not see it, I have poor eyesight I have to zoom everything, I'll have to look carefully next time.
Thanks Byron.
Sandyg.

screenpainter
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
great testing Byron,

my favorite pencil lines are the squiggle ellipses that run diagonal to the samples pallet. it turns from one gray to lighter gray. ..which preset is that please?

byroncallas
12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
great testing Byron,

my favorite pencil lines are the squiggle ellipses that run diagonal to the samples pallet. it turns from one gray to lighter gray. ..which preset is that please?

Hi Albert. That's the first preset "Auto Smooth Me" (pressure 50%, Softness 50%, Smoothing 30%, Precise On). The dark to light come from the pressure sensitive tablet stylus. Adjusting the settings with subtle variations on this one produces nice alternative too.

The output variations for the pencil are pretty remarkable and easy to achieve. Being able to make our our presets for them is fantastic. :):):):)

screenpainter
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
oh thanks Byron. I suppose I would know that if I had played with the pencil preset settings at all. Thanks again. :)

byroncallas
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
A few questions going around about the new AR3 pencil. I was experimenting, and decided to make a swatch sheet of many of the various settings. These might give you a quick idea that the pencil has a lot of range; and this is just a small sampling of settings and strokes. I really like the pencil possibilities and will experiment more with it. :):):)

EDIT: Dec. 21, 2009: Juz pointed out to me today that these will look more like led pencil by toning the black back or changing the pressure settings to get closer to the gray color of most standard graphite pencils. She is correct and that look is easily achieved. My efforts here are closer to a charcoal look which is obtained by dialing up the pressure settings and selecting pure black from the color picker. Lower pressure settings or selecting a gray color will produce more dead-on pencil appearances and are easy to achieve in AR3. If I can get around to it I would like to make some new swatches illustrating the different line outputs from this perspective; and even better if someone else beats me to it. (Thanks Juz for a solid observation.)

Blow up the image and you can see the pencil grains better.

Alexandra
12-18-2009, 05:23 AM
I was using the pencil last night Byron. I was amazed. I also used the pen for a cartoon and almost jumped for joy. This is a dynamic program! It is so appealing to me because of the easy accessible and displayed tools. Very unique and fantastically designed. Thanks for the examples there. :):):)

byroncallas
12-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Alex, thanks much. I think I'm going to venture out and actually try a new pencil drawing. I'm thinking; I'm thinking. :):):)

Lee
12-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Dear Byron, these pencil drawings are wonderful!!! a great sampler!!! especially like the one in the top upper right, looks like a beach scene impresson, alltogether terrific!!!:)

ps, if you get a chance, a clue to how you did the multicolor straight lines? did see somewhere here how it's done but lost track,, hold something down while doing something else?? huh wha??? :confused: Thank You!:)

byroncallas
12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Dear Byron, these pencil drawings are wonderful!!! a great sampler!!! especially like the one in the top upper right, looks like a beach scene impresson, alltogether terrific!!!:)

ps, if you get a chance, a clue to how you did the multicolor straight lines? did see somewhere here how it's done but lost track,, hold something down while doing something else?? huh wha??? :confused: Thank You!:)

Lee, thanks much. :):):)
For straight lines, with the mouse,
hold down (windows or its mac equivalent) the CTRL key,
hold down the left click on the mouse,
move the mouse across the canvas,
let go of the left click: the straight line will magically materialize.With the stylus, it is simply
Ctrl,
drag the stylus, then
lift it off the canvas. Again the straight line appears.Works for all tools. It's a handy dandy feature that's for sure. I put it to in the "house" drawing several posts up. Saves a lot of time over using a ruler :):):)

Lee
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Dear Byron, Resident AR3 Adviser;), Thank You so much!, has been years that dear members have asked for this feature! what a great job the team did!:)

byroncallas
12-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Lee. Yes, it's quite a marvel, isn't it. I like your quickie doodle. How fun. :):):)

flyashy
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Byron,
You, sir, are a true master artist!!
I loved all those straight lined abstracts! esp all of those city-scapes!!
Amazing!!!
& the thanks you very much for the great tips on pencils!

byroncallas
12-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Fly, you are too kind: thanks for the great feedback - sure brightened my day. :):):)

sandyg
12-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi Byron,
Looked through this amazing thread again, thanks for the pencil demo and the tip on creating straight lines. I'm going to play some more with A3.
Sandyg.

byroncallas
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks Sandy for the re-visit and your kind word. Meanwhile, I love that gloop cat you posted today. What a cool painting and use of a new AR3 tool. Great job on that one for sure. :)

D Akey
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
WOW!

You really should lay off the meth. On the twelfth step of Christmas my true judge gave to me. . .

Holy smokes, Byron. It's like you're a spawning art fish and you laid hundreds of eggs and they're all hatching at once.

Talk about finding your tools! My goodness. Nothing like these paintings as an endorsement for ArtRage!!!! And in the short time line too.

I can't possibly comment on each one as the ones I saw are all worth a conversation in and of themselves. But collectively, I am dazzled. I would put them together in a pdf book or something where they can be looked at as one pleases, and lingered upon. Not to post, necessarily, but more a matter of presentation.

Or you might do something like Orianelima did and post them as a slide show and set them to music. I think this stuff is that good that they should be seen in a dimension that really controls the viewing experience, sets a tone or mood, and we can kick back and just ride the wave. There may be something special revealed when organized that way. Or maybe nothing other than a great visual experience. But it's choice.

I'm very impressed and somewhat overwhelmed. Kick A$$.

:):):):):):):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Boxy
12-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Those pencils are incredible Byron. Still producing masterpieces even with the humblest tools! You are a king of creativity. :)

Sketchism71
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Or you might do something like Orianelima did and post them as a slide show and set them to music. I think this stuff is that good that they should be seen in a dimension that really controls the viewing experience, sets a tone or mood, and we can kick back and just ride the wave. There may be something special revealed when organized that way. Or maybe nothing other than a great visual experience. But it's choice.

Mr D Akey is absolutely right once again! A slide show presentation. "The Chronicles of Byron"

Awesome stuff with the pencil and a boat load of info Byron! Awesome!:D:D:D

Caesar
12-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Dear Byron, You're a neverending colourful dreams and creative toys producer!:eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::)

byroncallas
12-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Eddie, DA, Caesar, Sav, thanks so much.

DA, very happy you finally had a chance to spend some time with thread. Thanks for BIG thumbs up. And thanks for the idea (and Eddie, thanks for seconding) the PPP exhibition or something similar. I guess I have been a little concerned of individual works being lost in the whole of the thread. At the same time it's been a lot of fun maintaining the thread. What to do, what to do...so many decisions. ;):) DA, I really appreciate your feedback. Come back any time for a visit - your expositions on anything of particular interest you find here will be most welcomed. Your are ever the man. :):):)

Sav, Caesar, Eddie, thanks again for dropping by again (and again and again) and the continued encouraging feedback. You each bring smiles. :):):)

khalid
12-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Hello
You your own style
This is very, very beautiful
I liked your work

khalifa khalid

byroncallas
12-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Khalid,thanks so much. And welcome to the forums. Likewise, I like the art you've posted. That Baby is simply outstanding. Again, welcome. :)

sabena
12-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Byroncallas great collection this is amazing, Bravo:eek::D:D:D

foxytocin
12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Byron, the collection is a super nova of color....it crackles with energy.

byroncallas
12-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Foxy & Sabena: thank you both so much. I'm glad you finally had a chance to pop in and take a look. Much appreciate your feedback, and hope you'll pop in again from time to time. :):):)

Rowena
12-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Huge delight and fun emanates from all your paintings Byron :D
...seems like you are a very happy person! :D

byroncallas
12-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Rowena, I like your "happy person" suggestion. I find being happy makes my wife happy, so I happiness seems well worth cultivating.;) :):):):)

Thanks so much for dropping by.

saddy
12-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Well, Byron is amazing man who create amazing art. A fact. :)

It's joy to see your art here. :D

ScottF
12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Byron, your work is always fantastic and fun! Thanks for the previews of the pencil settings--very useful!!!!!

byroncallas
12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Scott & Saddy: thank you both - much appreciated. :):):):)

byroncallas
12-24-2009, 04:31 AM
I thought I'd take a stab at another pencil drawing, this from a reference photo I took while hiking in Peru in 2002. It seems full of problems, but I thought, what the heck, I'll post it anyway and hope for better next time. I hope you'll enjoy it at least a little. :)

100% AR3 pencil and eraser. No other tools or digital enhancements.

Edit: Note, following up Fly's comment: you can get the charcoal feel by using the heavy pressure settings in the settings panel, selecting 100% black for the strong lines, and pushing up the size of the pencil usually well over 100. It is 200 to 500 in several areas in this drawing. Then varying the color choice selection the entire gray scale supports further developing the charcoal feel and appearance, along with liberal use of the eraser. :)

flyashy
12-24-2009, 04:35 AM
That's so great byron!
It feels like charcol! wow! what is this secret sir??!!?? :)

Alexandra
12-24-2009, 04:37 AM
I agree, this is awesome Byron!!!!!

Belvrog
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
I am with Sandra on your last painting. So well done Byron! Great ambience. And I'd also like to see a slideshow of your paintings. I can confirm the opinion that your paintings have a bond between them that would turn out great in a slideshow. I can already see your colorful lively abstracts morphing on screen. :)

byroncallas
12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Belvrog, Sandy, Fly, thanks so much. Much appreciated. I was nervous about posting this. Your kind feedback is encouraging. :):)

Boxy
12-24-2009, 12:17 PM
You're a natural all rounder Byron! Great stuff :)

foxytocin
12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Byron, why should you be nervous? It's a great piece and this forum features a kind and instructive audience.

Lima
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Byron cool. It really does seem charcoal on canvas. But not only that, beautiful composition of a fantastic, magical place, the Peruvian Amazon. Beautiful my friend, once in a while you could reward us with this type of painting.:):):)

byroncallas
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Boxy, Foxy, Oriane - thanks bunches. :):D:)

Foxy, you're of course right. Sometimes we're all just a little nutty for no earthly reason. :):):):)

Boxy, thanks buddy. And I wish, but, hey, I'm workin' on it. :):D

Oriane: as ever, thanks my friend. The source photo was from a little area tucked aside near Machu Picchu.

Thanks again all.

silvy
12-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Really interesting your advice and informations on the use of pencils&co.
Thank you Byron:):) , just to try
Your Peruvian charcoal is really great!

byroncallas
12-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Silvy & Matthew, thank you both for your kind and encouraging thoughts. Much appreciated. Made my day. :):):)

pai
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Great drawing. I like this one especially in this charcoal way. Somehow this drawing reminds or even brings back some memories to me. I used to walk up to school with this kind of hiking stairs which were few hundreds of them. Took around hour and half. :)

Sketchism71
12-25-2009, 06:58 PM
I am always astonished at your humbled attitude when you break away from the abstract into a universe of art in which Newtons laws of physics can be applied. This is fantastic! It looks like a real charcoal rendering. It appears to even have a focus blur to it which intensifies the depth of field to it. Now wash all that black of your hands and don't forget to spray a fixative on this to protect it! Nicely done!:D:D:D

byroncallas
12-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Pai, thank you so much for your continued visits and upbeat enthusiasm. It brightens my day every time.

Sketch old buddy - thanks as ever. I confess I delve in the Newtonian realm too infrequently to have any objectivity (there is an existential irony in there somewhere ;)). I always appreciate your grounding and encouraging feedback. Meanwhile, I'm trying to wipe the charcoal out of my few remaining hairs while wondering where they've hidden the electronic fixative. :D

Thanks again you two. Your visits are always highlights on the broader canvas. :):):):):):)

byroncallas
12-25-2009, 11:17 PM
A fun exercise (I hope for you too) using just the Gloop and Fill tools. Hope you find some whimsy in it here on Christmas day.

100% AR3, Gloop Pen + Fill Tool
The JPEG compression loses some sharpness in the original.
The fidelity is better when blown up full screen.

Lima
12-25-2009, 11:33 PM
The gloop tool is really very versatile. It takes imagination in unexpected places. Nice abstraction.

Rob in Denver
12-26-2009, 03:20 AM
A fill tool was on my want list for AR3, so I consider it my Christmas gift.
Love this whimsical and fun painting you have made with it! Feliz Navidad!

byroncallas
12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey there, Rob and Oriane, thanks a bunch. :):):)

justjean
12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
What a wonderful array of colours and textures and your pencil work is so inspiring , thank you :)

byroncallas
12-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Thank you Frustration. Thanks for the generous feedback. much appreciated. And welcome to the forums. And hope your holiday was a joyous one too.

saddy
12-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Ooh looks cheery! I like the colors and shapes. :):)

Alexandra
12-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Love it Byron! Great job!!!!

byroncallas
12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Sandy, Saddy, thank you both much. Cheers as the holiday season continues to unwind. :):)

pai
12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
It's like a travelling the happy memories road map in your head. From one stop to another and so connected from beginning to the end. Once-a-round in a playful land. Very joyful and cheerful abstract as always.:)

Juz
12-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Byron i'm just loving that charcoal look of the piece with the stairs and stone... looks amazing... my initial reaction was an 'oh wow' :eek::):)

foxytocin
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Pai described this so well! Candy colors...quite playful!

byroncallas
12-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Juz - thanks bunches re; the charcoal drawing, and our exchanges regarding. Again, was great to stumble on your sticker related posts in the sticker forum this morning. And I hope you're building lots of snowmen. :):)

Pai and Foxy: thank you both - it seems like you took the tour around the painting - that gives me big smiles - tells me at least some people found there way into it. Much appreciate your warm feedback and and recurring visits to check out what's new. Cheers to you both. :):):):):)

Khalid_ipda
12-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Dear Byron....you have created beautiful collection painting with AR3, great experiments and never finish to explore your creativity. Great work, friend:D:D:D

byroncallas
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Khalid, thank you ever so much. :):)

sandyg
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Wonderful addition to your collection Byron, you design shape and put colour to it so well.
Sandyg.

byroncallas
12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you Sandy - much appreciated. Thanks for dropping in again too and your warm enthusiasm. :):):):)

byroncallas
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh, just letting my mind wander a little here and there. Hope you enjoy.
100% AR3sp. No filters, just AR tools.
Visual effects come properly into view when blown up full screen and viewed from a distance.

Rob in Denver
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I find this painting makes my mind wander too, Byron. Up and down and all around, it feels like an aerial view of some interesting and colorful piles of
materials I cannot quite recognize, so I keep going back to it again and again.
I like this a lot! Great job.

Little_Artist
12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
You make cool paintings

D Akey
12-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Very unlike and completely like a Christmas scene around the tree.

It's as if the artist in you has visions of sugar plums dancing on the canvas. It's as if while going through yet another Christmas morning of present opening, you opened the package marked "To: The Seeker of Art Guy".
And upon opening, a genie emerged in a cloud of smoke. Aaaawwwww, ya shouldn't 'ave. Well, whether they should have or not, the genie is decidedly outside the box now, never to return. Curtain closes. End of Act I.

:):):):):)

coops
12-29-2009, 04:38 AM
I just love all your paintings dear Byron, they are always so colourful and boy, lots to look at in them.:)

byroncallas
12-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Katie, D'Akey, LittleArtist, & Rob: Thanks each of you for the lively comments and feedback.

Rob: thanks for the wandering, and the observation, made me smile.
Katie: You're as ever kind, I much appreciate your visits and always warm wrods.
LittleArtist: Hey, I like your paintings too. They are fun always.
D'Akey: I've missed your lively linguistic excursions; you add so much spice to re-reviewing the work; your lens is always a fascinating one; your excursion with this one is delightful.

Thanks again all. :):):):):):):)

Eileen724
12-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Bryon, I share the same sentiment as everyone here in this thread....each and everyone of your paintings are just so colorful and entertaining. I agree wholeheartedly with DAkey's last comment! You're like the Energizer Bunny using ArtRage....you just keep going and going......!!!! :D

Sketchism71
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
The first thing that came to mind on this one Byron was a Ship being tossed around in an angry body of water. Those straight oblique lines being the masts showing the movement of the ship as it is thrashed about. Your paintings always get me thinking. Like gazing into the sky and making images out of the clouds. You have the ability to let the viewer see what they want to see without leading them one way or another. That is art my friend!

Now where are those exit signs posted in this thread. I always get lost in here and end up wandering around for hours like a little boy looking for his mother... Mom? Mom?? MOM???:rolleyes::):D

byroncallas
12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Sketch and Eileen, thanks bundles.

Eileen, thanks for such enthusiasm. For sure makes me smile and your warm thoughts are much appreciated.

Eddie, I've said it once and I'll say it 37 more times (only 36 more to go), you're a prince. I love your interpretation of the new painting; Rosy likes it too, says to say hello - she laughed when reading your description. And good friend, it's even more fun to hear you come here and get lost and can't find your way out. The Matrix is working.:D:D:D:D :):):):)

pai
12-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Your abstract can let any viewer see what they want to see in their own interpretation. Interesting. The first thought when I see this is like I am looking down from very very high, even higher above that blue cloud. Looking at the high tower, the city scapes on the right and the different trees and christmas lights all over. It tells me this place is covered with Christmas atmosphere. :)

byroncallas
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello Pai - thanks a zillion for your wonderful interpretation. It's great seeing the painting through your eyes and getting an idea of what you see. And thanks again for continuing to drop by and for sharing your thoughts. Much much appreciated.

Juz
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Byron, I could try to word how wonderful and valuable this thread is, but at nearly 10k views I think the numbers speak for themselves :):eek::)

byroncallas
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Juzzy, you are a sweetheart, thanks so much. Fitting that you should post now. In a few minutes I'll be uploading a new painting - one made entirely of your shiny stickers. I hope you get a kick out of it. It's kind of wild. :):):)

byroncallas
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Juz made several fantastic "glossy" sticker sheets - beautiful jewels all. You can get them at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24764 and use them yourself.

This painting is made entirely with Juzzy's glossy sticker sheets, some run through the Sticker Spray Gun and further manipulated with the pallet knife. There are no filters used. The red background is a "filled" layer.

While painting I was thinking about how Juz went about creating these stickers. Consequently "Juzzy's Brain On Stickers" seemed appropriate. ;):)

Hope you enjoy. Comments welcomed.

100% AR3sp.
Visual affects come into focus when blown up full screen and viewed from a distance.

pai
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
This is like an explosion of joy and love from this 3D wonderland. I really like that perspective you did here. Both have the depth and the distance. It's really amazing. Your mind is like tapping into this fantastic glossy gem world from Juz's creative stickers. I feel seeing all these glossy stickers have it's own life dancing and cheering. Very alive creation. Hope you understand me. :):)

Lima
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Byron, I am a lover of good abstract painting. Abstract painting with great visual quality, which is how I see your pictorial adventure.

I have a friend who says that abstract painting is not interpretable, trying to decipher the feelings of the painter, we feel a particular emotion to a greater or lesser degree, and you've got that image stored in memory.

Another artist, do not sign the painting, arguing that the possessor of that abstraction will put the image in the best position that best meets the feeling that most satisfies him. Your paintings have that quality. Excellence in the highest degree. Sorry for my English.:) Congratulations: this thread is:eek::eek::eek:

Lee
12-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Dear Byron, as Oriane said, ditto, i like this very much but can't explain why, very facinating i guess, another world? another reality? or just plain fun, bet Walt Disney would like it too,,,:)

byroncallas
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Pai, Oriane, Lee: Thank you each for the enthusiastic comments. I enjoyed playing with Juzzy's stickers - it sparked another couple of ideas I hope to get to soon. Thanks again for the very warm comment. Much appreciated.

Juz
12-30-2009, 02:39 PM
:D:D:D
Byron, you've made my day... the title is fabulous and the piece even better. So glad you had fun with these stickers... I'll have to make a different looking set soon. My spare time currently is a bit split between projects. I hope you don't mind but I downloaded the large painting to become my new desktop.:):)

byroncallas
12-30-2009, 05:37 PM
:D:D:D
Byron, you've made my day... the title is fabulous and the piece even better. So glad you had fun with these stickers... I'll have to make a different looking set soon. My spare time currently is a bit split between projects. I hope you don't mind but I downloaded the large painting to become my new desktop.:):)

Juzzy, your response made MY day. I'm honored the effort made it to your desktop. I'll keep my eyes open for your next batch of sticker goodies. Meanwhile, keep warm. :):)

Belvrog
12-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Wonderful additions.I guess you have no idea how long i tend to look at your paintings Byron. Could get lost in the multitude of imaginations I get from them.

Happy new year to you and Rosy Byron !!

Eileen724
12-31-2009, 05:11 AM
This last painting is just so awesome, Bryon! It took two great creative minds, Juz's and yours, and what a great creative force the two of you are!!!!

sandyg
12-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Saw this in the users Gallery Byron, simply stunning. vivid colour and shape.
Sandyg.

byroncallas
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Belvrog, Sandy, Eileen, thank you each a bundle - you each give me a "make my day" smile with your kind words.

Belvrog, thanks for the holiday wishes to Rosy and me, and we both send them back to you and yours in kind plus a little extra for good measure.

As a matter of fact, Happy New Year all.:):):):):)

screenpainter
01-01-2010, 02:54 AM
oh I really like daydreaming. it's a great abstract Byron.

byroncallas
01-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks Albert - and HAPPY NEW YEAR good friend. I look forward to our continued exchanges throughout the new year. :):):):):):)

Sketchism71
01-01-2010, 12:07 PM
This last painting is just so awesome, Bryon! It took two great creative minds, Juz's and yours, and what a great creative force the two of you are!!!!

Byron, your brain with Juz's brain is like making nitroglycerin! Excellent painting!:eek:

byroncallas
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
LOL Eddie - yes Juz's brain inspires the firing off of a few extra synapse - can't argue with that. Thanks for the chuckle good friend, and also for liking the painting.

Just a few more hours and the first 10% of the 21st Century is history. Only 90% to go, it's almost over.

Happy New Year to you and yours - I hope you catch a lot of trout throughout 2010. :):):):)

byroncallas
01-01-2010, 11:48 PM
These two similar but different paintings were exploring ways to assemble two different ideas. The same painting base was used to carry the original idea in two different directions, building both ideas simultaneously. These were fun and interesting to build (somewhat challenging) and I hope you enjoy them. Comments and commentary are welcomed.
100% AR3sp
Airbrush, Ink Pen, Oil Paint Brush, Tube Paint, Glitter, a tiny bit Sticker Spray Gun, Palette Knife, Eraser. 24 layers. No filters or borrowed stencils.

Visual effects designed into the paintings are better observed by blowing them up full-screen and viewing at a distance. Note: discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=256852#post256852

AT-TA
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I am not very much an abstract girl... but the colors and textures in your works are amazing...

Very happy New year to you!

byroncallas
01-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Thank you AT-TA, Much appreciated. :):):):):):)

Alexandra
01-02-2010, 05:51 AM
I can see this on the wall of a museum Byron. It appears to be carved in stone, just awesome!:D

Lima
01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Fantástico Byron. :eek::eek::eek:

byroncallas
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Sandy, Oriane: much thanks you two. :):):):):):)

iceaxe
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Happy New Year to you.
(I still cannot believe its 2010)

This is certainly a fun thread to look through.
Many happy Abstract Artworx to enjoy.
Looking forward to your next creations.
If ever you AR design a bucket full of polished wet beach stones please let me be the first to know :)

byroncallas
01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Iceaxe for spending some time in the threads. Glad you liked what you foound. I come across that bucket of wet rocks I'll let you know at once. :):):)

Sketchism71
01-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I am not very much an abstract girl... but the colors and textures in your works are amazing...

Very happy New year to you!

Careful AT-TA, the abstract world slowly creeps in to your brain through the frontal lobe where it sets up camp and recruits neurons who's main priority are to convert the rest of your brain into abstract thought! ... and Byron is the ring leader of all of this!;):rolleyes::D

These are both really cool Byron! I spent more time on the first one but appreciate the direction in which you took them both. The texture is out of this world! Kinda lave rock - coral reef -ish. Totally fascinating to explore. In fact, in the first one, I see a peep hole in the middle with your eye in it peering out at all of us to watch our reactions as we sit and witness your world. Awesome job!;)

byroncallas
01-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks Eddie. It was good of you to warn AT-TA; full disclosure is always best. :rolleyes::)

And thanks for the awesome feedback. After a lot of looking, I'm settled that my preference (Rosy concurs) is the first of the two posts, though I'm happy with both. These were complicated because they were meticulous builds that required thinking through to get the effects I wanted. Thank heaven for "undo". AND, it's a bit of fun if you like puzzles, because building them is a bit like solving puzzles (at least for me). There are few if any happy accidents here - on the whole everything is deliberate with a LOT of trial and error to get from A to Z. Getting there is a heck of a lot easier in AR3 though. The tools are so much more flexible with a much greater variety of desired outputs.:)

You weren't supposed to see the peep hole. You must have had your nose in REALLY close. :D:D

sabena
01-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi Byroncallas your imagination is great your paintings are wonderful and full of colors:eek::D:D Happy new Year to you

Rob in Denver
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I am always willing to get lost inside your paintings, and the last one was no exception, like being lost in a shiny candystore on steroids, but I also am finding myself frequently lost in this long thread--always thinking "did I miss a painting back in there?". But I am easily confused!
No or few "happy accidents"? That shows how much you have mastered this program, more than I think anyone so far, and I want to congrat you on that.
( But I love and depend on H.A.s and would kind of miss them too).
I have a business idea for you--set up a workshop for Artrage3 in some tropic locale in the winter and have a few guest teachers in say Realism or other topics you do not delve into, hire someone to make Margaritas and I think quite a few of us would lay the money down for the experience.
Not joking. Think about it!

byroncallas
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I am always willing to get lost inside your paintings, and the last one was no exception, like being lost in a shiny candystore on steroids, but I also am finding myself frequently lost in this long thread--always thinking "did I miss a painting back in there?". But I am easily confused!
No or few "happy accidents"? That shows how much you have mastered this program, more than I think anyone so far, and I want to congrat you on that.
( But I love and depend on H.A.s and would kind of miss them too).
I have a business idea for you--set up a workshop for Artrage3 in some tropic locale in the winter and have a few guest teachers in say Realism or other topics you do not delve into, hire someone to make Margaritas and I think quite a few of us would lay the money down for the experience.
Not joking. Think about it!

Sabena, thanks so much, makes my day. And happy new year to you too. :):)

Rob: I don't want to give the wrong impression. I work with happy accidents all the time and am grateful for them. A lot of my paintings I assure you are purely happy accidents. Sometimes those happy accidents are discoveries where I learn "Oh, you can do THIS with a particular tool", and then it becomes part of the intentional arsenal - I'm sure true for all of us. It is just in this case I had goals with an intent to work through to them, in part to achieve the visual goal(in this case two goals), and in part to further understand how to get some certain specific results out of the software.

I assure you I'm no master of this software. I've barely scratched the surface. I remain in awe of the works I see others produce and will spend half a day scratching my head trying to figure out how the heck somebody did what they did. I've maybe got my little niche, but it is such a small one in such a big, rich world both of what the software can do and what other artists can do with it. Mostly I wander through the forum with my jaw dropped thoroughly amazed at the creations of everyone here, while being inspired as we all evolve our skills and share them through our latest creative efforts.:):) And besides all that, it's just fun. ;):)

Thanks my good friend. I love it when you come and visit. :):):cool::)

Lee
01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Dear Byron, for instance, the daily newspaper, maybe the first thing you want to read is the front page headlines, you want to read the whole paper so that nothing is missed, but , sometimes, well, love looking at your AR3 headlines, not to be missed and as always a revealation for the new AR3 application, fun and fancy and instructional, the MOARA galleries too, terrific!!! don't always get a chance to comment but thanks for the good job!!! these are wonderful!!!:)

byroncallas
01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Lee, thanks ever so very much, much appreciate your dropping by and leaving a few thoughtful words. Be well, and happy new year. :):):):)

byroncallas
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

I've received several private messages saying this thread has gotten so big that people are missing some of the paintings buried in it, especially new entries. Some have asked if I'd also post new paintings in separate threads. So beginning with this painting I'll start posting paintings in separate threads but also add them to this thread as a single location to house all my purely AR3 paintings.

With each post here I'll provide, for discussion, the link to it for whichever other forum section the image is also posted

I will keep this thread alive as a personal archive. I guess it's become a labor of love so I'd like to keep playing in it for a while. Thanks everyone for your frequent visits and encouragement. I hope you'll come back frequently to see what's new.

So, following is the first painting also posted in the gallery section. The discussion thread is at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25792. This one is a very simple exercise just practicing with the settings in the fill tool and dealing with the white pixels you can sometimes get where edges butt. While really just an exercise, I liked how it looked so decided to post it. :):D:)

Again, thanks a billion everyone, and in case I missed anyone on Happy New Year's wishes, HAPPY NEW YEAR. :):):)

Lee
01-04-2010, 03:47 AM
Dear Byron, you surely should be on the AR PR Board of Directors! and this one needs a title, how about Washington Crossing the Delaware? ;):)

Jasminek
01-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Hi,

Wow, what a wonderful color! Love them all, my favorite is the first one, please tell how do you achieve such clear colors?

As you know digital painting is very new to me, I have a problem of color blending in places where I don't want it to be, that is why my question on color. So far I have tried only oil painting.

Thanks,

Jasminek

Eileen724
01-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Well, I am glad that you're keeping this thread alive, Bryon because I was aware that you were continuing to post new works here and made the effort to check this thread every few days or so. I like the idea that they are all in one thread and not all over the gallery. But, with the way people are posting new threads every few minutes it seems, this continuing thread gets moved quickly to the back pages! We have a lot of new people that joined this forum as well as inactive members coming back due to AR3 so this has really become a "lively" place the last few weeks!!! I can only hope that the next project for our wondrous Rager guys is a more updated version of this forum's software to accommodate having a larger number of posts per page (I have mine set to max#!!!) so individuals don't have to go to back pages for newly posted threads. All in good time I guess!