PDA

View Full Version : Byron's ArtRage Explorations

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

byroncallas
02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi Caesar, and thanks. Looks like everyone is diving into the new symmetry tool, yes? :)

byroncallas
02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
It seems everybody is having great fun with the new Symmetry Tool. Here are five others from dinking around in the Beta.
They look better blown up. :)

justjean
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
They are all bright, bold and beautiful, Byron :)

copespeak
02-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Fantastic! So much detail, it's hard to know where to look first. :cool:

drawing4art
02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Oh my gosh, these are just beautiful, so much going on and a rainbow full of colours :D

Alexandra
02-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Such fun Byron. I can see these as beautiful tile work....wow wow wow. I need to get my upgrade going.
(Great to see you!)

hinket
02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm in awe of the 0274 mosaic tile one, and the 2089 mosaic tile one, Byron.

Then, I wondered, have you toned down all your paintings?

And got a big smile on my face when I saw the rest. :D:D:D

coops
02-25-2013, 02:48 AM
So colourful and so clever Byron, well done again:)

silvy
02-25-2013, 05:57 AM
I really like the ink pen simmetry:)

Lima
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Maravilha!!! Byron.

Lindae
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Byron, All I can say is oh wow! Wonderful designs! L

byroncallas
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Jean, Robyn, draw, Sandy, Hin. Katie, Silvia, Oriane, Lindae: thanks all for dropping by and the encouraging comments. You guys are wonderful. :)

byroncallas
02-26-2013, 05:38 PM
A little less colorful, yes? Testing some tools in the AR4 Beta, and rummaging around in the basement with the lights off. It's a bit scary down there...
You'll have to blow it up to see it, I suspect.

justjean
02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
A great test of some of the treasures of AR and of your basement too :D

Alexandra
02-27-2013, 05:44 AM
I am sure Rosy will not be pleased until those railings are up, so Byron you'd better get started on those stairs and that light switch.;)
I love your abstracts Byron. You've inspired me to try one this morning.

byroncallas
02-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Jean, Sandy: Thanks.

Sandy, I ain't going down there. Too scary. :):):):)

Caesar
03-01-2013, 12:25 AM
AR4 is an even more powerful dynamite for Your creativity bursts, dear Byron! Awful new additions! Personally I should give another try to abstract with the new tools, although I psychologically tend to avoid any form of absolute, full simmetry as a somehow innatural freezing, a sort of threat to life, flow and opportunities to evolve, change and find a way out.

pai
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
hey hey Bryon, love to see all your experiments again. I like that black and white painting. Can you test more AR4 tools for me to see and so i can be learning from your experiments too :P

p.s. by the time i wrote this i have AR4 intalled but no Wacom driver installed yet. And my old Wacom 3 tablet have scatches already on surface, I guess at that time I painted too "hard" ..;)

byroncallas
03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Caesar: Thanks old boy. It's great to see you use the word "AWFUL". Finally someone called it right!!! LOL. Meanwhile, we'll just have to box you in with chains and see how long it takes you to bust out. I don't think it will take you too long. :p:D:D

Pai: What a great great surprise - I'm so happy to see you posting again. Thanks so so much for stopping by and for your always encouraging comments. I think you will like the enhancements in AR4 and hope we'll see some new works from you soon. Perhaps you are due for a new tablet (yes?). Big hugs. So glad to see you back; and I do hope you've been feeling well. :):):)

byroncallas
03-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Another Black & White Diversion: Mostly ink pen while testing new clone and transform features. I did a couple of months ago while testing tools for AR4 Beta and now can't quite remember exactly what the heck I did. Anyway, I hope some of you like wondering around looking for my house. I'm completely lost. ;)
There is no way to see this without making full screen.

silvy
03-03-2013, 12:24 AM
I haven't found your home.....and now I'm lost too:D:D:D
Awesome testing;)

byroncallas
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks Silvia. I'm afraid I'll end up sleeping on the street. :)

byroncallas
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
A bit of fun with Albert's (Screenpainters) new Color Sample sticker. Just the sticker is used, with the symmetry tool and various settings with the sticker spray tool. If nothing else I hope Albert gets a kick out of it. :D

justjean
03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Lots of colour shapes and action here, Byron :)

D Akey
03-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Not to belittle the art aspect, but this would make an amazing fabric design. I could see it being a first, second and third read kind of thing. It says art, says mechanical (or on a shirt or something robotic guts), says massively complex with lots of layers. Very cool what it might suggest about the wearer.

I love the new directions you're exploring, Byron! Bravo on all these. Fascinating diversity.

byroncallas
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
JJ: Thanks a bunch. :):)

Akey: Thanks for popping by and the warm comments. It's been a while since we've touched base. Fabric...Yes, would make a great couch (maybe???). ;);):):)

Caesar
03-05-2013, 10:28 PM
With artrage 4 Your paintings reached up to 9 dimensions, some little scale ones and rolling, wrapped up, just like our universe structure seems to have.
Stunning and fascinating artpieces.

coops
03-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Wow thats brilliant Byron:)

screenpainter
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
to me it looks like you have created an entire city from the little color palette. amazing. it would be an interesting place to explore I presume, full of art galleries and technological advances. great job.

Alexandra
03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Love this thread Byron.:):):):):):)

byroncallas
03-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Caesar: I see you've been brushing up on Superstring Theory; You're giving me ideas old boy.
Katie: thanks as ever, much appreciated.
Albert: Likewise - And now that you mention it, it might be fun to try a full aerial cityscape without symmetry; might try.
Sandy: thanks so much again, and I do hope you are feeling better.

Thanks all. :)

byroncallas
03-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I wasn't sure what to call it. I considered calling it US Monetary Policy, or Congress in Session, or some strange similarity, but it seemed a bit forced. And it IS a dark contemplation, so maybe that will do. 100% AR4 built with metallic, black and white bump paint and all versions of the knife. No filters or blends, just bump paint and bunches of knife settings. It's a more satisfying piece if you fill your screen and stand back several feet. It then resolves into the visual depth intended (hopefully). :)

Paul Blackman
03-07-2013, 09:42 PM
There are very impressive and highly skilled images in this thread. I could learn a lot from you. Terrific work.

copespeak
03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
It does look really excellent enlarged. Very clever, metallic, full of texture and interest.

I meant to comment on your Albert's etc, and it slipped by me. I think that's very good too. Love your work! Byron! :D

pai
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Brilliant. Somehow the paletter sticker you used made an asian knot handcraft in the middle. Very pretty. And, another great black and white series on your play with the meaning in it. I like the this one :)

D Akey
03-07-2013, 10:47 PM
This is a view "below street level" of a specific woman's shadow. She is bound and is beset by demons, one of which seems like an addiction to a dark mood for whatever reason that particular emotional state serves her - control, familiar pattern, whatever. As her heart is burdened by a darkness, so too is her perception of the world. The demon I see in this painting is climbing out of her heart through the shoulder as if looking to infect and also feed on someone who she has drawn in.

Gnarly, dude! It's as if you uncovered an evil talisman from an ancient archeological dig. . . and/or simply met one of my formers. Yikes. Hope you don't mind if I pass on hanging this one on my wall. :p

Caesar
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
You went "underground", dear Byron, but still with astounding artistic outcomes!

Orkhan
03-08-2013, 12:33 AM
The calling of Pripyat, this dark one is. Bevealed and embossed pain it is

coops
03-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Even though its dark so much to see and think about Byron:)

justjean
03-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Made me think of what the pics of NY subway (I think it was NY) after the flood , all wet, dark, dreary and drippy , another great thinking painting, Byron

Lima
03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Nice dark departure Byron. Love them all, but Where's my House" is just terrific.

byroncallas
03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Paul: Welcome. Thanks for your warm feedback. Much appreciated. I hope you'll post a lot of your own work.
Robyn: Likewise, I'm so enjoying reviewing the work you are posting. Great stuff.
Pai: again, it is so great to see you back. You were always so encouraging when I first started this thread - it's a deep joy to see you back here with us. Thank you anew for your new feedback here.
Akey: you've captured a lot of the spirit - put solid words to the visual (you usually do). Thanks for your usual "on the head on the nails" insight. We may have had similar formers - which often inspire such contemplations as much as any woes of the world (???). ;);););)
Caesar: much joy from your enthusiastic response, thats a bunch old boy.
Orkhan:http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png back at ya.
Katie: You ever inspire; thanks.
Jean: Those thoughts didn't escape my mind as the work developed; thanks so much.
Lima: I'm always thrilled when you show up; and especially thanks for "Where's My House". I was quite happy with it - but it inspired little response. Thanks a lot for noticing and the encouraging feedback. And hey, where's your avatar? ;)
Thanks all.

byroncallas
03-08-2013, 10:50 PM
My Goodness. I got carried away with Aunt-Betsy's Lace and Lanyards. There was so much of it in the stock-room. I stole yards and yards and weaved all of it into one big mesh (or mess?). I hope she finds it at least a little bit fun. :D

coops
03-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Thats a wonder Byron, well done:)

Alexandra
03-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Oh wow, a layered kaleidoscope...awesome Byron.

Aunt_Betsy
03-09-2013, 06:26 AM
What great fun Byron! Your storeroom looks a lot like mine does half the time :D.

Caesar
03-09-2013, 06:30 AM
So let's thank warmly Auntie too to push You along this fantastic exploration path!

pai
03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Very beautiful pattern, Bryon. Remind me I used to be spending hours looking through those kid Kaleidoscope to see the pattern. :) That's very cool stickers Aunty Betsy has made. I haven't got into add those art supplies to my computer yet. Definitely want to try out that.

byroncallas
03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks all. These are quite a bit of fun to do, lots to play and experiment with. Thanks again Aunt_Betsy for your ingenuity. These little tools have kept me mesmerized for a couple of long days. :D

drawing4art
03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Another beautiful piece, methinks I will have to try out Aunt_Betsys lace and lanyards :)

Aunt_Betsy
03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
You're welcome Byron, you can thank D Akey for some of my inspiration. He thought my knitted scarf sticker reminded him of the lanyards that kids made at summer camp, so I started to make stickers to try and emulate the lanyards better.

I have only scratched the surface with these stickers, I have hundreds of them. I have been doing lots of experiments with shapes, configurations of combined shapes, surfaces, and color combinations. I have also been experimenting with the sticker sprayer settings. I was first inspired by Mary Lou who posted some very nice stickers that had a lovely swag pattern to them. I hope to make some of my stickers and presets available for the next upgrade to ArtRage.

byroncallas
03-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks drawing4Art and Aunt Betsy.

Betsy, you do have a knack with creating stickers that create inventive designs. The spray variation settings allow for truly wonderful visions and explorations. I'm sure I'll post more from your efforts. They are a bit addicting to play with. I love 'em. :D I hope you'll make your other sticker creations available.

Aunt_Betsy
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks drawing4Art and Aunt Betsy.

Betsy, you do have a knack with creating stickers that create inventive designs. The spray variation settings allow for truly wonderful visions and explorations. I'm sure I'll post more from your efforts. They are a bit addicting to play with. I love 'em. :D I hope you'll make your other sticker creations available.

Thanks Byron, I'm planing on posting more stickers. I have plans to offer some for when they have a new major release of ArtRage, I already have the information for were to send them for that. I'm still doing lots of experiments on shapes and settings.

byroncallas
03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks Betsy. I look forward to getting your new sets. Meanwhile, these three are all made with your "curves free hand 1008" sticker - of course different sticker spray settings. These are fun to build. You've given me a lot of enjoyment. I hope you find these at least a little entertaining.
Blow up full screen and they'll look better.

SCP
03-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi Byron wonderful to catch up with your amazing Art work.:cool:I can see I have some catching up to do! :o
This is a great Thread to visit and let the imagination go wild!Keep up the great work mate.;)

Caesar
03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Wonderful snakes nests! Colorful and intricate compositions. Wires and life. Cyborgs?

kenmo
03-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Wonderful indeed....

copespeak
03-16-2013, 12:56 AM
It's just amazing getting all that depth and textures together. :cool:

coops
03-16-2013, 01:27 AM
These are really amazing:)

AT-TA
03-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Wonderful thoughts put into shapes and colours...paradise for the eyes.

Aunt_Betsy
03-16-2013, 01:31 AM
I just uploaded a new sticker packet. I hope you like them Byron. I posted them in the Supplies forum.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?43993-Aunt_Betsy-Stickers-for-byroncallas&p=441391#post441391

byroncallas
03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Scott, Caesar, Kenmo, Robyn, Katie, Anna,
Thank you each. Much appreciated. You guys are gems. :)

Aunt_Betsy: the new stickers and presets will surely be fun. They are marvelous. Thanks for posting. I'm going to download them as soon as I save this post. :D:D

justjean
03-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Byron, love that wild and colourful squirmy painting :)

chinapete
03-16-2013, 07:11 PM
It's a more satisfying piece if you fill your screen and stand back several feet. It then resolves into the visual depth intended (hopefully). :)

hi byron, Dark Contemplation has all the complexity of a Piranesi print, an intriguing space to explore! ...

pai
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Aunt Betsy, you are another expert on using the AR4 fun sticker tools. I haven't tried that much yet. I need to try it soon and figure out how to use it. I am getting slow to learn..haha. Brilliant creation again. I guess Bryon will have lots of new toys to play with and create new design in his paintings again soon. :)

byroncallas
03-18-2013, 12:36 AM
hi byron, Dark Contemplation has all the complexity of a Piranesi print, an intriguing space to explore! ...

Chinapete - thanks for that - a note that REALLY brightens my day. Much appreciated.

byroncallas
03-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Pai, Jean: thanks a bunch. Here's a few more inspired by Aunt_Betsy's handiwork, also posted in her art-supplies thread. One is a slight variation on the other - I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked, so what the heck, I'll threw 'em both in.

coops
03-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so clever:)

byroncallas
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks Katie.

copespeak
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Really inspiring! Those stickers are enormous fun. :cool:

justjean
03-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Great weaving Byron, I think they are both terrific :):)

Ulla
03-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Byron, I've just discovered this thread. Being a newbie to Artrage I'm blown away by your demonstration of the beautiful things which can be done with this amazing software. I think this thread should be given a sticky! So it would be easier to show it to anybody who's still sceptical about digital art.

Alexandra
03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Exciting Aunt Betsy and Byron....I love the creations!

pat1940
03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Byron, what great work, so inspired by your wonderful art as always

drawing4art
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Super inspirational work :)

byroncallas
03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Robyn, Jean, Ulla, Sandy, Pat, Drawing4Art: Thank you each, very much appreciated.

ULLA: Thanks for the enthusiastic response to the thread. My work is mostly abstracts and only scratches the surface of what people can do with ArtRage. To get a mind-blowing perspective I suggest that you check out the MOARA (Museum of AatRageous Art) thread to see the broad range of work people do. It is a tribute thread started by Oriane Lima that has taken a life of its own, showcasing the work of scores of individual artists. Katie Coops has been the prime mover for the thread for the last year or so. If there is a thread that should be made a sticky for the reasons you give, that's the one. Here is the link. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?19695-Moara-Coops&highlight=moara. The thread is an inspiration.
Likewise, perusing the Gallery section of the forum provides hours and hours of inspiration and generates endless ideas.
Thanks again. You made my day. ;)

Edit: By the way, some remarkable abstracts have been submitted in Peter Pickney's "Rabbit Hole" thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?35320-The-Rabbit-Hole-Secrets which is both instructive and often mind blowing.

byroncallas
03-20-2013, 09:49 PM
OK, a break from Stickers and Symmetry: back to an inclination to dabble in black and white. Some color snuck in anyway. I enjoyed building this one. It was a bit of a challenge for me as it ventures away from purely abstract imagery even if it remains a bit abstract, sorta. ;):D All AR4, no filters. It does look better if you blow it up.

copespeak
03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Sorta like graffiti on bricks with killer black blobs ...... and um, a blue door!

Thought provoking indeed. :)

Alexandra
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I can imagine Count Dracula here Byron. Cool work.

justjean
03-20-2013, 11:30 PM
and I see the great hall of a medieval castle with all the armour parts hanging on the wall , looks great :)

Aunt_Betsy
03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Very interesting Byron. It looks like there are chunks of black obsidian buried in the stone block wall.

kenmo
03-21-2013, 01:20 AM
Neat and imaginative....

chinapete
03-21-2013, 08:17 AM
This is like a snapshot memory of looking at the facade of the Trib Tower in Chicago, allegedly there's a bit of the Great Wall of China stuck there, but I never found it :)

pat1940
03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Byron, this is so interesting and very creative, like it a lot

Caesar
03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Wonderful art entertainment park, with a lot of new, gorgeous attractions, also on spooky side recently. You're a Master Chef of abstract recipes!

D Akey
03-22-2013, 05:10 AM
I would have to call this a metaphor for 'Analysis', alchemically speaking -- as if a way of working through something that seems like an intractable, unsalvageable, walled-in and trapped in bleakness kind of experience, looking for the lessons and wisdoms to be gleaned from that situation, like a perplexing puzzle.

Has the feeling of being imprisoned, yet the imprisonment seems false, because a consciousness shift would blow it open leading to freedom. And that little panel with color shows hope, as if being sealed in a cave with no air, and suddenly feeling a thin stream of fresh air on your face. It leads out. The brick-like nature of the walls puts me in mind of the entrapment being man-made or even self-imposed owing to a point of view or attitude toward something.

Intriguing and psychological, Byron. But that's just my take on it of course. Could also mean an artist searching for inspiration when it doesn't seem to be coming. . . or selection [d] none of the above.

pai
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
hi Bryon, whenever you have black and white creations, there somehow gives me an impression of some emotions in there. I can't really describe as good as D Akey (or never can be). But, I really like this piece. Those strong and think paint tube marks. And, I see a lion or leopard guarding or waiting at the cave door, that Blue seems represented something. I couldn't tell. Love it. :)

byroncallas
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone. The different perspectives and interpretations are much appreciated.

Akey, I hope the close isn't your way of saying "Yep, he's all dried up." :)

D Akey
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Not going to take my close off. Hahah.

No. I'm talking about a symbolic interpretation of what you might be saying, not experiencing in the painting necessarily because you're stretching artistically like crazy lately. Same person who painted those bright colors, just different lyrics and tone. . .

Where I'm coming from: Any creative person has experienced that component aspect of wondering where the next painting is coming from. And this ironically is a very creative and articulate way to say it. Sort of like saying it through interpretive dance. Indirect, ya know? Anyway, I speak of myself here, having experienced such dry spells. And at times it seems like a prison or being trapped by a cave in.

Here now. . . observe my meaning as I leap through the air like Baryshnikov in a four foot drain pipe or a mime in an invisible box. Life is very much like that at times. And what's to do about it but use it, paint the experience, sing about the chains, the longing etc. And whether you are going there or not, when I look at something like this I am there, even if it's a prison of my own making because there's a part of me that's always been there from the moment I started to aspire to the creative urge.

I look at these moments like starting points or inciting incidents that drives me to overcome it. What's white without black and visa-versa.

byroncallas
03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Not going to take my close off. Hahah.

No. I'm talking about a symbolic interpretation of what you might be saying, not experiencing in the painting necessarily because you're stretching artistically like crazy lately. Same person who painted those bright colors, just different lyrics and tone. . .

Where I'm coming from: Any creative person has experienced that component aspect of wondering where the next painting is coming from. And this ironically is a very creative and articulate way to say it. Sort of like saying it through interpretive dance. Indirect, ya know? Anyway, I speak of myself here, having experienced such dry spells. And at times it seems like a prison or being trapped by a cave in.

Here now. . . observe my meaning as I leap through the air like Baryshnikov in a four foot drain pipe or a mime in an invisible box. Life is very much like that at times. And what's to do about it but use it, paint the experience, sing about the chains, the longing etc. And whether you are going there or not, when I look at something like this I am there, even if it's a prison of my own making because there's a part of me that's always been there from the moment I started to aspire to the creative urge.

I look at these moments like starting points or inciting incidents that drives me to overcome it. What's white without black and visa-versa.

It would be disingenuous of me to not acknowledge that you are well inside the ball park. You are recognized as an insightful devil, because you are one. ;););)
You ever inspire.

byroncallas
03-23-2013, 10:10 PM
A practice piece from the beta with the Paint Roller and Soft Blender, in one layer. Testing includes experimenting with the new invert settings for the Wacom Stylus setting properties. They help to get some of the Paint Roller results. Full-screen review required to help it resolve well.

Tana123
03-24-2013, 12:09 AM
WWW, that's what it looks like I think :)

pai
03-24-2013, 02:57 AM
Very great testing with your style of color choice especially my eyes lead from the green to the bottom right pink spot. How do I set up on Wacom Stylus properties to try out this the new invert settings ? Could you please show me?

chinapete
03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
... there once was an artist named Pollock, I understand he felt he had to drink a lot in order to fling paint around -- but still couldn't reach this level of complexity and visual interest :) ...

copespeak
03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Byron, that's great! So much happening! :cool:

justjean
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
My goodness Byron that sure is a tangled web we weave, looks great

Alexandra
03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Byron, I like this very much. Rich texture, and design.

coops
03-25-2013, 12:40 AM
The last one looks like my brain when I have to pass a shoe shop, well done Byron:)

SCP
03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Byron you have been very busy ,enjoyed your latest entries ,World Wide Web is crazy! Great stuff.;):D:D

Lima
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Hiden treasure is so good in its 3D breaking out from the surface; the blue wins the black. A beauty.

There is a nice quality to World Wide Web: a backlight warm amazing luminosity ground which highlights the colorful patchwork of virtual connections. Clever.

Byron terrific abstractions.

byroncallas
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Very great testing with your style of color choice especially my eyes lead from the green to the bottom right pink spot. How do I set up on Wacom Stylus properties to try out this the new invert settings ? Could you please show me?

Thanks Pai. To get to the new Wacom Stylus setting options: Go to the setting panel, select the tool setting drop down menu, and select "set stylus properties". See path in image below. It's worth it to read the AR Manual to make good sense of it, beginning with Stylus Controls on page 125 through page 128. For tablets that support the feature, it allows you to have many more options for manipulating most of the AR tools. It's worth it to get in there and practice the settings. It's the only way to get a feel for and understanding of it, and really expands the tool settings options. Have great fun.

byroncallas
03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Tana, Pai, Pete, Robyn, Jean, Sandy, Katie, Scott, Oriane: thanks guys. :)

byroncallas
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Testing in the beta with the new stiff brush settings for the oil brush. It gives effects much like a scratch tool once you get the hang of it.

pai
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot Bryon for pointing that to. I have no idea it's there. Yes, I think I have to find time read the manual. It's just when I open the canvas, I just want to "paint". :)

byroncallas
03-26-2013, 05:50 PM
...well, one on of them. ;)
All AR4. Blow up. It's a little more fun to explore (?).

pai
03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Hm, I see you are exploring different palette knife in different settings. And mostly you are using the Edge knife which reminds me is the first tool and setting i played a lot when i first just got Artrage. Love that light blue background to make those colorful knife strokes very stand out look. This one fills of energy and joy in it :)

Caesar
03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
You really broke any scheme with Your wild imagination and experimention. A child couldn't be more enthusiastic and creative!

byroncallas
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Caesar, Pai, thank you both.

copespeak
03-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Byron, these are great. You are so clever. :D

byroncallas
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks a lot Robyn. :)

Alexandra
03-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I don't know why Byron, but the last one makes me want to run out and buy some orange sorbet.
And sit under an umbrella on a lounge chair.
And listen to some big band music.:o
They are great!

Tana123
03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
The last one is full of joy. i love the choice of colours. And thank you for the tip for new stiff brush settings for the oil brush!

Lima
04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Testing in the beta with the new stiff brush settings for the oil brush. It gives effects much like a scratch tool once you get the hang of it.

interesting Byron, have to try this. Beautiful result.

D Akey
04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Go Byron! Keep going! I like all these directions. Will be interesting to see which you hold onto and to what degree. I really like the approaches and am wild about your color of course.

I find the scratchboard one rather interesting. Feels like one can see the internal colors through the combing. And of course, the combing is conservative and businesslike. While the color is just seeping through and less disguised as the hair thins (at least in my case). I always saw old people as the ones who said 'Screw it, if you don't like me by now. Did it your way far too long.' This could be a graphic representation of that principle. The artist is kicking ass on the accountant, so to speak -- The child returns to take up where it was cut off.

drawing4art
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I love all your new works, fun,funky and colourful....the scratch one is interesting and makes for nice texture.

byroncallas
04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks Sandy, for giving me some good smiles for the evening.

Thanks Tanya - and give that stiff brush a whirl. It's quite versatile.

Thanks Oriane - great to see you stopping by old friend.

Akey, thanks. I appreciate as always the extended commentary. I do seem to be playing and struggling a bit in some different directions, and, well, I kinda like where you landed here at the end. Gave me chuckle, and maybe you're not to darn far off the mark. :D;):)

And thanks Drawing4Art for the encompassing view for some of the new efforts.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

byroncallas
04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Lots of black and white metallic ink manipulated with different tools, with a dash of color here and there.
100% AR4. It's better full screen and standing back a bit so built-in visual effects properly resolve.

coops
04-03-2013, 01:48 AM
This last one is really beautiful well done Byron:)

byroncallas
04-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks Katie. Meanwhile, my contribution to the limit 30 minute thread that has re-emerged. Maybe others will pick it up again just for fun.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?98-quot-What-can-you-paint-in-30-minutes-thread-quot/page12
Here, just throwing a lot of paint - exactly 30 minutes, no time to clean it up. :)

Alexandra
04-03-2013, 07:59 AM
The Multiverse....love it-wow Byron-wow!
All are sensational!

eighty+
04-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Mien. Gott. Byron. This old sod still gets lost. With. layers :confused: :D:D:D :cool:

copespeak
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Byron your metallic one is really interesting, I like the depth in it. The 30 minute painting has some great spots in it, especially the folds bottom right, and there's a confusing feeling of perspective, so when you go some where else, it's not there. :cool:

Tana123
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Yes you are right, looking the Multiverse full screen and standing back make it terrific!

byroncallas
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Sandy, 80, Robyn, Tana: Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated.

Tana & Robyn: Yes, thanks. The Multiverse is designed to be seen large and from a distance. It becomes a completely different image. Likewise, the 30-minute exercise will show considerably more depth and tricky perspective when seen with some a distance. Most of my paintings are designed to visually resolve when seen from a distance. There are often optical effects added to give the paintings multiple dimensionality through illusion. Sometimes it works, other times, well, not so hot - but I try to give it a shot. :D:D

silvy
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
WoW, great work on Multiverse:cool::):cool:
I like very much the last also;)

D Akey
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice and avant garde. One looks like an Escher inspired abstract -- sort of going at midnight to the fabled Blues crossroads and waiting for the Devil. Looking up one road and at the stretch down the other. Stood up by the Devil. Hmmm. . . wait. . .the smell of sulphur and pitch wafting through the air. What's a po' boy to do?

And then the next painting is where you're expecting to meet an angel at the crossroads. Decisions, decisions. . .

Go Byron go!!!!!!

justjean
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Byron. Wonderful colours in your abstracts and The Multiverse has beautiful movement and metallic colours

pai
04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I echoed others as well. I spotted this Multiverse right away and it caught my attention. It's so much big differences when you blow it up and stand far far away to look at it. The feel is totally great. I can see you played in different tools and very delicated work on this one to me. Love it very much this piece. Bravo ! :):)

SCP
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Very interesting and looks amazing, great work Byron!;):D:D:D:D

Multiverse looks awesome too !!:cool:

byroncallas
04-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Silvia: great to see you here - it's been a while.:D:o Thanks for stopping by and for the encouraging thoughts.
Akey: didn't you see Robert Johnson peeking out at you, his soul in one hand, and his guitar in the other? :cool:. As for Escher, he is one of my main inspirations. His attempts to engage the viewer in LOOKING and SEEING from different perspectives is often a goal of a lot of my doodles, more often failed than achieved, but a goal nonetheless. Really, thanks for your comments and recent encouragement.
Jean: Thanks so much. Much appreciated :)
Pai: Thanks for making the effort to blow it up and sit with it a bit. Thanks for making the effort to "get it." :cool::). And thanks for the great feedback. :) And WOW WOW thanks for all the great new work you are posting since your recent and inspired return.
Scott: If you look close maybe you'll find Crabby trying to claw his way out. (ha ha). I'm so glad to see you are back. I'm much enjoying your monster thread. Top notch winner. :):)

byroncallas
04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
If you have the patience, I hope you'll zoom full screen, stand back from your monitor, and take time to let the image resolve. Hopefully you will find interesting surprises peeking around the various corners. Then again, the painting could be a bust, just another irreparable rip in spacetime. ;)

pai
04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
\woot/!! metalic paint tube fun..this one so shiny different shapes ..colorful, brightful, joyful..!..hmm, also i felt excitement in it :D:D

drawing4art
04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Oh wow love this one, all those beautiful shiny metallic shapes, I see all sorts of things in it :)

SCP
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Thank you Byron good to be back.Wow "Repairing Rips In SpaceTime" is like you painted with molten lava paint.:cool:I also relate to your fitting tittle, as always more then meets the eye at first glance ,well done!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

copespeak
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Droplets of Mercury floating through a rainbow! Love the tartan effect!

I'm making it my screensaver for this week. Beauty!! :D

D Akey
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Your best yet and may I second the \Woot/! And I don't often woot, I must tell you. Freaking awesome. You struck gold. Now all ya gotta do is get to the land office and file your claim.

byroncallas
04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Dear Pai, Drawing4art, Scott, D Akey, & Robyn: Thanks - that is particularly encouraging feedback from each of you. Thank you to the nines. It surely has made my day. Very much appreciated. :):)

Alexandra
04-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh, like like very much Byron!!! Cool!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

byroncallas
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks a bunch Sandy. :D

Caesar
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
So I guess the metallic pebbles aren't tiny spaceships, rather multidimension figures where the space-time fabric is being mended.
This painting is really magnificent and outstandingly new!

coops
04-08-2013, 10:11 PM
This latest one is really great Byron:)

AT-TA
04-09-2013, 12:49 AM
I see so many peeks and valeys, filled in with joy and excitment..beautiful Byron.:-)

byroncallas
04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Katie, Caesar, AT-TA: thank you each - very much appreciated. :D:D:D:D:)

byroncallas
04-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Hi all: A busy week - no time to paint or hardly peruse other posts this week. Here's a few from the beta that were experiments testing the tools. Maybe no great shakes, but I thought to post anyway, they're kind of fun (I hope). Manehwile, I hope to get back at it all soon. :D

Caesar
04-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Really stunning and magnificent! Moreover I wonder how You get the mosaic and the stone rows. Attemps to a credible mosaic was an effort i unsuccessfully made few years and at least a couple of AR issue ago and it still intrigues me!

Lima
04-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Amazing abstractions. Color's shine in higher music harmony. Beautiful.

justjean
04-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Byron, looks like your having fun with the mosaics and such in your great painting :)

D Akey
04-14-2013, 06:36 AM
You have a fan here. :cool::cool::cool:

kenmo
04-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Delightful images....:cool:

Alexandra
04-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Explosions of happiness, Byron. Bravo!

pai
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
the last one is my favorite. love that green palette with your textures and patterns. made me thinking of Queen Hatshepsut Temple in Egypt :)

coops
04-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Love the last one Byron, well done:)

byroncallas
04-17-2013, 03:48 PM
You have a fan here. :cool::cool::cool:

DA, thanks. Life has taken me away for a few days so I have been slow to respond. I had intended to come back to this post here which was preceded by a lengthy, thoughtful, and of course, from my perspective, wonderful review. I wanted to respond with great enthusiasm and appreciation, and still do, even though I see you came to your senses and wisely said to yourself "What on EARTH was I thinking?" and into the electronic garbage dump it went. Life is full of cruel moments, but alas, we must trudge on. :D:D:D

Kidding aside, I really liked that post. You captured, a lot, in your words what I hope often comes across in the work, and far too often almost certainly doesn't. Thanks ever for your always constant support across the board for all your fellow artists here. Your thoughts always raise the spirits with both insight and your unique DA wit, not to mention literary prowess.

Thumbs up and high-fives. You're a good man despite what you might read in the papers. ;););):)

byroncallas
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks all. Sorry I've been slow to respond. It's been one of those weeks where life has said "Take that, and this, and if that doesn't do it, here, take a some more of this.. and...", well you get the picture. It was a busy week. :D

Caesar, thanks a lot, really. The mosaic is built with one of Sav's (Boxy's) great mosaic stickers which certainly helps to make the task easier by light years. As an exercise I often make a painting using just one sticker set to various spray variations, and of course color and size and shadow settings, etc. This is an example. It's always a fun challenge, boxing yourself in, and seeing what comes out. Give Sav's mosaic stickers a shot. They are quite fun to work with. No doubt you will provide us with wonders. :D

Oriane, Jean, Kenmo, Sandy, Pai, Katie: Thank you all for your kind comments. It sure brightens the day. Much appreciated.

:):):):):)

D Akey
04-17-2013, 05:45 PM
DA, thanks. Life has taken me away for a few days so I have been slow to respond. I had intended to come back to this post here which was preceded by a lengthy, thoughtful, and of course, from my perspective, wonderful review. I wanted to respond with great enthusiasm and appreciation, and still do, even though I see you came to your senses and wisely said to yourself "What on EARTH was I thinking?" and into the electronic garbage dump it went. Life is full of cruel moments, but alas, we must trudge on. :D:D:D

Kidding aside, I really liked that post. You captured, a lot, in your words what I hope often comes across in the work, and far too often almost certainly doesn't. Thanks ever for your always constant support across the board for all your fellow artists here. Your thoughts always raise the spirits with both insight and your unique DA wit, not to mention literary prowess.

Thumbs up and high-fives. You're a good man despite what you might read in the papers. ;););):)

Actually, I was worried I made you feel bad because I saw you posting to a long line of threads. . . and then when it came to this thread you wisely fainted dead away and timed out ya might say . . . You had to collect your composure or something. . . And here I reckoned it might have been the bit about your first painting remindin' me of all the the discarded condoms tossed aside into the sea under the boardwalk which in turn populated Davey Jones' footlocker. . . or some such salty allusions. . .

So I came to my senses and removed that bit and waited to see if all were square with us. . . But when you did not come back I thought to meself, "Cor Blimey, guv. . . ye bolloxed it good n' proper, ain't I. . . You'll not see the likes of good Mr. Callas around these parts for an age and an half, for all yer tragic commedry. . ." So I scuttled me ship and screwed up me vessels. . . and snapped to, smart ass ya please. But seein' now that I misread the bones and yer actions, and with you'd likely be wanting somethin' ta read on those cold foggy nights in the Bay area. . . why I can and shall voice me confidences once more, cautiously optometric like. . .

To wit:
-----------

I'm very impressed, Byron. You really are reaching out of your past style since you returned to the forums, and to great effect. These three are filled with vitality. I must say that I initially skimmed through these and landed on the third as the grabber upon first impression. The first two in this latest batch of three seemed sort of thin. HOWEVER. . . I'm saying that about a quick glance. NOW, having filled the screen with them one at a time they are filled with movement and I find myself being led around on these amazing rides within each. For example the first one, I thought the thinners was a little much on the large shape where it showed paper tooth, which didn't seem to look finished. But I was wrong. I was too hasty. I hadn't given the orchestra a chance to even tune up, let alone begin their performance(s).

The lines or shoots or tentacles of color lead my eye along their length, and each vertical (diagonal) becomes something of one half of a tuning fork. And rather than as with a tuning fork where both sides are identical to get their sound in relationship to a single pitch, I found myself having these tendril things creating harmonies because of the color and shape relationships. Each bright color is a tone. And when one mixes red and blue to get purple OR red and blue if they're not mixed, it creates a dynamic. Shape adds much to these because they seem as if moving toward something -- It is a little like an undersea thing, maybe a choral reef or sea anemone or sea grasses. . .

The middle one is much like the first, except that it seems to me more about movement bubbling up like a pool that acts like an amniotic sack during the gestation period for paintings. Ultra sonic, baby!

And the last one worked for me both as a quick read and a lingering look. Solid, beautiful, artistic like an ancient chamber wherein one receives the mysteries of Dionysus. Feels layered - like layers of rosters at an ancient university or mystery school, each tile representing a student or graduate or someone who has taken this journey. . . as one flight of fancy. Or it also reminds me somewhat of a close up of fine ceremonial armor plating for a dragon. It also has something of the decorative, rich Klimpt feel. Anyway, you get the picture. I really like the design quality and variations on the 90 degree shapes.

Needless to say, you have a fan here.

byroncallas
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Actually, I was worried I made you feel bad because I saw you posting to a long line of threads. . . and then when it came to this thread you wisely fainted dead away and timed out ya might say . . . You had to collect your composure or something. . . And here I reckoned it might have been the bit about your first painting remindin' me of all the the discarded condoms tossed aside into the sea under the boardwalk which in turn populated Davey Jones' footlocker. . . or some such salty allusions. . .

So I came to my senses and removed that bit and waited to see if all were square with us. . . But when you did not come back I thought to meself, "Cor Blimey, guv. . . ye bolloxed it good n' proper, ain't I. . . You'll not see the likes of good Mr. Callas around these parts for an age and an half, for all yer tragic commedry. . ." So I scuttled me ship and screwed up me vessels. . . and snapped to, smart ass ya please. But seein' now that I misread the bones and yer actions, and with you'd likely be wanting somethin' ta read on those cold foggy nights in the Bay area. . . why I can and shall voice me confidences once more, cautiously optometric like. . .

To wit:
-----------

I'm very impressed, Byron. You really are reaching out of your past style since you returned to the forums, and to great effect. These three are filled with vitality. I must say that I initially skimmed through these and landed on the third as the grabber upon first impression. The first two in this latest batch of three seemed sort of thin. HOWEVER. . . I'm saying that about a quick glance. NOW, having filled the screen with them one at a time they are filled with movement and I find myself being led around on these amazing rides within each. For example the first one, I thought the thinners was a little much on the large shape where it showed paper tooth, which didn't seem to look finished. But I was wrong. I was too hasty. I hadn't given the orchestra a chance to even tune up, let alone begin their performance(s).

The lines or shoots or tentacles of color lead my eye along their length, and each vertical (diagonal) becomes something of one half of a tuning fork. And rather than as with a tuning fork where both sides are identical to get their sound in relationship to a single pitch, I found myself having these tendril things creating harmonies because of the color and shape relationships. Each bright color is a tone. And when one mixes red and blue to get purple OR red and blue if they're not mixed, it creates a dynamic. Shape adds much to these because they seem as if moving toward something -- It is a little like an undersea thing, maybe a choral reef or sea anemone or sea grasses. . .

The middle one is much like the first, except that it seems to me more about movement bubbling up like a pool that acts like an amniotic sack during the gestation period for paintings. Ultra sonic, baby!

And the last one worked for me both as a quick read and a lingering look. Solid, beautiful, artistic like an ancient chamber wherein one receives the mysteries of Dionysus. Feels layered - like layers of rosters at an ancient university or mystery school, each tile representing a student or graduate or someone who has taken this journey. . . as one flight of fancy. Or it also reminds me somewhat of a close up of fine ceremonial armor plating for a dragon. It also has something of the decorative, rich Klimpt feel. Anyway, you get the picture. I really like the design quality and variations on the 90 degree shapes.

Needless to say, you have a fan here.

DA, a good LOL is of course appropriate given that my favorite part was the discarded condoms under the boardwalk. :D:D
And consequently, thanks again for the enthusiastic review and your always inspired appreciation.
You're great. :):)

pat1940
04-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Byron, your work is always so facinating to look at, and always a pleasure, love the colors you use and depth you create

byroncallas
04-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi Pat,
Thanks a lot - much appreciated.
:)

byroncallas
04-23-2013, 09:45 PM
No time to paint the last couple of weeks, so I am throwing up a few more doodles from testing in the beta early this year. These are more exercises than paintings. But they seem to have a little going for them so what the heck, here they are. As usual, they take on more dimension if you blow up and review from a distance.

Caesar
04-24-2013, 02:19 AM
New directions again, dear Duke Creativity-Byron-Callas! :eek::cool::):):):):)

pai
04-24-2013, 03:13 AM
hi Bryon, it's so good that even you are busy, you still drop by and posted your amazing experiements on AR tools during beta. I especially like the last one and have blown up to see how you did it and what tools you used to make that. Can you make it again ..haha..i really like that 3D look and very artistic on the pattern to me. hope you can paint sometimes during relaxing time just few ten minutes for fun :) :o:rolleyes:

Alexandra
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
More delicious treats, love them Byron.

D Akey
04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
No time to paint the last couple of weeks, so I am throwing up a few more doodles from testing in the beta early this year. These are more exercises than paintings. But they seem to have a little going for them so what the heck, here they are. As usual, they take on more dimension if you blow up and review from a distance.

Levels. Like for clearing karma on certain vertically stacked levels, it's hard to clean it up whilst in it. But poking a hole through it, popping above and looking back down on it, it gives a whole different vantage point that makes the karma easier to clear up. Think pool cleaning walking around the pool with a net on a pole vs swimming around amongst the soggy leaves and debris trying to fish bits out. Talking about trying to attain altitude to deal with issues. This sort of reminds me of that.

Either that or it's a prisoner of a sheltered and over-protected childhood suddenly seeing daylight and poking a hole in a pet paradigm.

Or, it's tattooing oneself so completely (metaphor for getting trapped within a stylistic look at the world), breaking out of that conditioning to see the world in a very uncluttered, neutral way, beyond personal expectations, no matter how pretty. Giving Disraeli's Gears an overhaul, bravely, Ulysses.

byroncallas
04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Sandy, Caesar, thank you both a bunch.

DA: Your review is poetry and a wonder in it's own right. Bushels of appreciation back at you.

Pia: Thanks so much, and following up on your post in your thread for more input on this third painting::)

The background: About an eighth of the canvas was filled with tube paint laid out in precise ways, mostly blue with dabs of other color in select spots, and worked meticulously with various knife settings and the eraser to form an area that has the basic texture and distribution of color you see in the final.

Then I used the clone tool to mimic the area over the canvas.

Then I went back in with the knife and eraser over the entire field to make each area unique while uniformly tied together in what is hopefully a pleasing whole. [Yes, doing it again is straightforward, but you do have to "do it right" give or take. ]

The artifact is built first with glitter trapped in a "select" area on a separate layer and formed with the blur blender, a technique for getting these 3D looks.

Stickers were used to build design into the artifact, and the eraser used to carve out the channel and nuance its form.

The airbrush was used to create some shadow and some subtle color-variance in the background pattern for compositional reasons.

Then merge the layers.

The knife on various settings was used for final touch-ups including blur in select spots, and some judicious work with the eraser.

This is a fairly easy piece to develop. You just have to follow some methodical steps and it comes out fairly easy. These are fun to do because you can take them in so many directions. Often this would be a starting point for a more complex painting. But I liked how this resolved so left it alone. Thanks a lot for asking. :D:)

pai
04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Pia: and following up on your post in your thread for more input on this third painting:
The background: About an eight of the canvas, was filled with tube paint, mostly blue with dabs of other color in select spots, and worked meticulously with various knife settings and the eraser to form an area that has the basic texture and distribution of color you see in the final.
Then I used the clone tool to mimic the area over the canvas.
Then I went back in with the knife and eraser over the entire field to make each area unique while uniformly tied together in what is hopefully a pleasing whole. Yes, doing it again is straightforward, but you do have to "do it right" give or take.
The artifact is built first with glitter trapped in a "select" area on a separate layer and formed with the blur blender, a technique for getting these 3D looks.
Stickers were used to build design into it, and the eraser used to carve out the channel and nuance its form.
The airbrush was used to create some shadow and some subtle color-variance in the background pattern.
Then merge the layers.
The knife on various settings was used for final touch-ups including blur in select spots, and some judicious work with the eraser. This is a fairly easy piece to develop. You just have to follow some methodical steps and it comes out fairly easy. These are fun to do because you can take them in so many directions. Often this would be a starting point for a more complex painting. But I liked how this resolved so left it alone. Thanks a lot for asking. :D:)

Thanks so much Bryon. That's a lot of steps (counted almost over 15 steps?) to create such great 3D look. Never use the "clone" tool, don't know what it does. I have to check it out on manual first. I like the step which I never was in there. "Select" area and trapped with media. that is a very neat cool step.

You really make use of all AR tools. Again, thanks for taking from your busy time to explain to me. I have to try if I can make it :) :)

byroncallas
04-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks Pai. LOL, it hadn't occurred to me it was so many steps. But I guess it is a bit. However, each is pretty straight forward and fairly easy to accomplish, at least for execution. I suppose the harder part is staying centered on a composition that pulls together well with the accumulating steps. And of course, I'm reporting a bit how it unfolded, not necessarily that it was a grand plan then executed step by step. It's really not quite that pre-planned methodical. It's more like stumbling down the road methodical. LOL, yes? :)

Thanks a lot for feedback and questions. Much appreciated. :D:D

coops
04-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Love these latest ones Byron they are so inventive.:)

copespeak
04-29-2013, 11:45 PM
It's really intriguing how you get these great effects Byron! :)

justjean
05-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Great use of all the tools Byron, all looks great and fun isn't it :D

byroncallas
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Jean, Robyn, Katie, as always, thanks a bunch. :):):)

byroncallas
05-05-2013, 06:28 PM
On the road, traveling, lots going on: no time to paint probably till late-June. So, I'll pop in from time to time and post some exercises from the recent beta just to keep my hand in. I hope to be able to at least scan what everyone is doing and comment here and there. But until later in June, I think it will be sparse. Keep 'em coming everyone.

Meanwhile, here are a couple from earlier in the year. The first was just an exercise goofing with the new pattern fill and new transform settings, so really just a doodle. The second was a base layer for developing another painting posted above (probably you can figure it out). ;):D:)

At any rate, have a great May and June. I hope to pop in and catch what everyone is doing. There have been some inspired works being posted lately. :cool:

copespeak
05-05-2013, 07:40 PM
You have an excellent May and June too Byron! :)

pai
05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi Bryon, so glad you can still come in and posted some of your beta test pics for us. I really like these last two ones with different shapes and form as well as colorful as usual. I wish you have a wonderful trip on May and June. :)

D Akey
05-10-2013, 03:15 AM
The last two look like puzzles where an abstract artist has gone mad with trying to get all these colors and shapes to fit. The second one looks like the artist had several jigsaw puzzles and threw the pieces in together and started creating instead of the usual postcard scene, a totally different relationship. . .

The first one feels the same only the artist said "Puzzle, schmuzzle. . . This looks pretty cool!"

The second one really got fastidious and tightly 'woven'. Sort of like Joseph had been ordering a Technicolor Dreamcoat from this tailor and now that he was going to appear in the court, he had to go conservative and had asked to see something in a herringbone weave that still said 'technicolor'.

Don't you dare expect this artist to grab their Crayolas and color within the lines. Nope. Ain't gonna happen no how. Nuh Uh. Not 'Da Kid'. No way. . .

justjean
05-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Byron, both look great, so colourful , the first made me think of shards of D Akey's tiffany glass :D and the second an old quilt that a grandma would have made

Alexandra
05-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Wonderful works Byron. Very cheerful.

Sketchism71
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
It's been a long time old friend! What a masterpiece this thread has become - Speechless - I hope to be around more frequently soon and I look forward to catching up with you and your amazing new adventures in art!

Sketchism71
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Crazy good Byron - I'm in Awe!:cool:

Caesar
05-10-2013, 10:32 PM
With the first one You shattered old, past reality, breaking off into a new artworld of Yours You recomposed with the second painting ordely enough to quiet down and start understanding. Both breaking news in a way!

byroncallas
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks all. Robyn, D Akey, Caesar, Jean, Sandy, Pai: very much appreciated.
And Eddie, welcome back. So great to see you popping in. I know we'll ALL look forward to seeing here again.
Sorry no time for a longer chat, am on the proverbial road.
Catch you all later. :)

D Akey
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
. . .here comes BYRONZOOM and there he goes. . .

byroncallas
05-19-2013, 04:51 AM
That's right D Akey, zoooooooooooommmmiiiiiiinnnnnnngggg by once again --------------------------------------------------------and gone...................:D
Ah, the wonders of the road. :)

byroncallas
05-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Still traveling, I decided to post an old one that never made it to this thread. It was an early inspiration for a couple of paths later explored. :D
Meanwhile, while my chances are few to see them, it's been great seeing so much good work being posted in the Gallery.
I hope I've more time soon to give more thorough and engaged comments. :)

Caesar
05-23-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm sure Gaudì and Mirò would have used Artrage this way, dear Byron. What a wonder!

gxhpainter2
05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
byron... I like the architectural structure in this with all the diversity of encapsulated forms... :cool::cool:

D Akey
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
All I know is that if I see a Mole popping through one of these holes, I'm gonna Whack 'em like yesterday's piñata, I'll tell ya. . .

And you'll never hear the kind of idiot/intelligence test this could be. Well, maybe one:

You see, the way it transpires, as a primitive rite of passage, they sit down the boy on the verge of manhood in a thatched hut for 3 days with only water and hops, induce a bit of purple toad licking (where the toad generally opts to hop), and depending on which portal the initiate fits into (I hear shape matters), that determines which frat house he's to join. At which point there's general cheering and more toad licking lasting the next four years if the lad's keen. Thereupon he will take a job traveling around at varying speeds, unearthing old arklefacts for all the world to ponder. But that's just a guess. . .

copespeak
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
It's like looking through a frosted decorated window.... :cool:

byroncallas
05-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Gary, DA, Robyn, Caesar: thanks as always. I'm still on the road, but hope to be back in a more verbose form soon. Thanks for continuing to check in. Much appreciated. :)

justjean
05-31-2013, 06:10 AM
Great lot of shapes, textures and colours, Byron. Looks great :)

byroncallas
06-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Great lot of shapes, textures and colours, Byron. Looks great :)

Thanks a bunch Jean.:)

byroncallas
06-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Well, still traveling an not much chance to pop in. I see that the June ArtRageous Mag has published, sadly the last issue. Bobbyray was kind enough to include my article on abstract art written for the magazine. I hope those of you who check it out find it interesting. http://artrageus.net/archives2013.html . Meanwhile, I wish BobbyRay all the best as he takes on his new ventures. He put in a lot of great effort over the last three years showcasing a lot of great work by those of us who spend time here in this forum. :)

gxhpainter2
06-11-2013, 08:56 AM
byron, I just read your article and found it delightful and very cogent and I think helpful to a lot of people that struggle with understanding or appreciating abstract painting. You have a long background in the graphics arena and I am sure you have seen and dealt with lots of artists and consumers as well. Well done and greatly appreciated, and gave me an appreciation of your work as well.. great job ! :):)

byroncallas
06-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi Gary,
Thanks a lot for kind words.; much appreciated. Not a lot of action on this one. I wonder if the article was a bust. :)
Thanks again. Hope to be back in the forums again soon with more paintings and more participation.

JohnRitchey
06-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Hi Gary,
Thanks a lot for kind words.; much appreciated. Not a lot of action on this one. I wonder if the article was a bust. :)
Thanks again. Hope to be back in the forums again soon with more paintings and more participation.

I just read your article with great joy. I found it very informative and educating, thank you :)
Also, thanks to you linking your article, I found out there's an artrage magazine! Now I have alot of reading to do...

justjean
06-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Byron, would love to have read your article but only get a little box with a x in it when I try to read or d/l :confused:

byroncallas
06-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Byron, would love to have read your article but only get a little box with a x in it when I try to read or d/l :confused:

Hi Jean,
I'm not sure why you are getting that result. The link, pasted here again [ http://artrageus.net/archives2013.html ] should allow you to open or download the June Issue of the ArtRageus Magazine. There will be the article that Bobbyray so kindly requested that I write, that I prepared, and then he published. It requires Acrobat Reader to open and read if I'm not mistaken, or another good PDF file reader. You can also download the issue with an instant download link [ http://www.artrageus.net/June2013.pdf]. If these links still don't work for you, let me know. We can drop Bobbyray a note and see if he has any suggestions for retrieving. But when I test here, both links seem to work.

[:confused::confused:]

Best,
Byron

PS: Again the link is http://artrageus.net/archives2013.html. The link will look like the picture below when you get to the site.
If that link doesn't work, there is an instant download link http://www.artrageus.net/June2013.pdf ] that should instantly download the 19mb pdf file to your computer.
Good luck.

copespeak
06-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Byron, I meant to let you know I read your article and enjoyed it very much, but time slipped by and I never did. You went to a lot of trouble, and thank you for that.

:) :)

byroncallas
06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks Robyn, for taking the time to read the article and for your thoughtful feedback. Much appreciated. :)

pat1940
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Byron, what an article, just fantastic, you gave so much of your time and it is so appreciated, your paintings are so wonderful and the tutorial was very inspirational, thank you so much

Mairzie Dotes
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
byroncallas,
I just had to comment on these absolutely delicious, creative, drenched with
color and design paintings. Very well done! :D

justjean
07-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Byron, this am my brain kicked into gear and I thought laptop and so I dug it out and lo and behold I could and did d/l the article :D now to read and study your words and tutorial in hopes that I will at least start to understand abstracts . Thank you my friend for all your time and effort for us here at AR :)

byroncallas
07-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Jean and Pat: Thank you both for the kind feedback on the article, as well as your general, supporting thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Mairzie: Thanks a lot. It's nice to see you here after so long, seems it's been quite a while. I really appreciate your dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

Thanks all,
Byron

SCP
07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey Byron great additions to your wonderful thread.:cool::cool::cool:
I also had a look at your article in the Artrage mag ,awesome job Byron ! A wealth of information shared.;):):)

byroncallas
07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Byron great additions to your wonderful thread.:cool::cool::cool:
I also had a look at your article in the Artrage mag ,awesome job Byron ! A wealth of information shared.;):):)

Scott, thanks, particularly re: the article - it is nice to get some feedback.
Say high to Monty. :D

byroncallas
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
First painting added in nearly a year. Not sure I'm awake yet, but hope this works as a hello after a long absence.
[Looks better full screen]

justjean
05-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Hi Byron, good to see you posting again with the nice shapes and colours :D

gxhpainter2
05-01-2014, 03:52 AM
welcome back Byron! it has been quite a spell since we have seen you here. this has somewhat of a different feel than your earlier works, maybe the black and white with just glimpses of color flashing through. It works well lots of interesting shapes and very volumetric ( has a sense of a very grand scale )... hope you have time for more posts soon:cool::cool:

silvy
05-05-2014, 03:46 AM
Welcome back Byron:) Lovely work as always

D Akey
05-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi Byron. This should be in After Nine I think. All those people naked as a door by Rodin. . . Wait. . . maybe I'm not awake yet either. . .
I'll get some coffee and take another gander when the fog lifts. . .

Good to see you back. Hope your foray into the world was good to you.

Caesar
05-06-2014, 12:55 AM
You sort of focused on mechanics and dynamics here rather than on colors and ... it works!:D Welcome back!

byroncallas
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone, sorry to respond so slow. Great to see you all again and thanks for the warm comments.

DAkey, regarding: could this be another case of Louie Louie and we'll have to wait for a Supreme Court decision akin to "it beats me!" ;)

pai
05-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Welcome back, Bryon. It's good to see your creative stuffs again even you're not fully awake yet ! :D

byroncallas
05-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks Pai. Happy to touch base again. I hope you've been well.

D Akey
05-08-2014, 12:53 PM
DAkey, regarding: could this be another case of Louie Louie and we'll have to wait for a Supreme Court decision akin to "it beats me!" ;)

By gadfrey, sir. . . I had no idea that Louie Louie stumped the FBI in the area of moral civility. . . So was that the reason it was proposed to be made a state anthem -- basically telling the Feds to go suck eggs? Ah, who knows from whence these accretions come, eh? Me, I just looked at your painting and saw enough T&A to fill to the brim the next Matrix orgy. . . a compliment, I'm fairly certain. . . and a tip of the hat to suggestive reasoning.

AndreaMG
05-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Welcome back, awesome stuff :cool:

copespeak
05-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Welcome back from me too Byron! You have been gone a while. I love the peeps of colour coming from behind the monochrome. :cool:

SCP
05-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Great to see you back Byron !:cool:;)

byroncallas
05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Scott, Maybe just peeps will be my new thing. :)

D Akey, perhaps in true "The Kingsmen" fashion, it's best to keep 'em guessing, if nothing else to avoid the long arm of the law. :D:D

byroncallas
05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Just a doodle, I guess some limbering up. :)

coops
05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Hi Byron, first thing I thought of was War Of the Worlds, great painting:)

Caesar
05-12-2014, 11:05 PM
I love B&W images and this abstract composition of Yours is exceptional, blasting, enjpyable, evocative!
Moreover I support a black&white striped soccer team which, after winning, consistently with a long tradition, is beating all records in our Italian championship! ;)

silvy
05-14-2014, 04:51 AM
If this is training, who knows what happens next:)

gxhpainter2
05-14-2014, 05:26 AM
interesting work as usual Byron.... you bring up something special in doing an abstract in black and white... food for thought for me...after this you artistic muscles must be strong and supple and ready for any challenge !...

justjean
05-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Great shapes, shades and textures , Byron

byroncallas
05-17-2014, 03:27 AM
Jean, Katie, Silvy, thanks a bunch.

Gary, I'm thinking of spending a little time with B&W and see what happens. It's a challenging departure. Somehow I'm in the mood. But then, moods come and go, yes?

Caesar, I'm glad to see you're all primed for Brazil. We shall have to battle, head to head, chasing the bouncing ball.

DAkey, I could have SWORN there was a lively post here, that has disappeared, on subject matter dear to our wondering eyes whether in color or black and white, and whether real or imagined within the frame? Have I gone bonkers? :D

D Akey
05-17-2014, 03:31 AM
. . .Have I gone bonkers? :D

Probably, but that's another tale.

However with your absence, I thought I might have offended you with my comment on all the nipples that go on for miles -- as if this were the painting celebrating the fantasies of a thousand and one school boys on the advent of their change. . . so I deleted it so as to not scare you off again. . . :o:rolleyes::p:eek::confused:

byroncallas
05-17-2014, 04:07 AM
=D Akey;472308]Probably, but that's another tale.

However with your absence, I thought I might have offended you with my comment on all the nipples that go on for miles -- as if this were the painting celebrating the fantasies of a thousand and one school boys on the advent of their change. . . so I deleted it so as to not scare you off again. . . :o:rolleyes::p:eek::confused:

LOL Old Boy. You know me well enough to know scaring me off is a near impossibility whether we're wallowing in the gutter of tripping the lights fantastic. Never fear, especially when it comes to typically-concealed anatomy. Meanwhile, you can rest assured any slow response at this end is the thrill of life (or the swamp, take your pick) pulling me (or sucking me) in a few too many directions, up or down. The Universe beckons. It seems to be a rather demanding little devil in need of unrelenting attention. It calls. I jump. Now and then it lets me come back here and play with my friends. Recently, though, it's been stingey about the time it allows. That will account for my absence or slowness to respond. No mention of nipples should scare anyone away. If anything, such things have a way of drawing us back to our, er, primal essence, at least for us aging schoolboys who, no matter the aging we see in the mirror, know we have not grown up and we are not going to. Behold, despite the unrelenting demands of the Universe, the little brat in us, bless his ageless heart, has not given up, at least not yet. :D:D:D:D

eighty+
05-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Hey Bryon Looks like the Sink is full Blast it !! looks as if I better do the washing up No room otherwise :( :( :( :( :( :(:) :) :) :) :)

Hey Caesar would that be Roma ? yeah we all know all the other Italian team's are going through a bad time thats why your breaking Records ;););););););)

ok Bryon sorry KIA ORA

stevemawmv
05-17-2014, 04:49 AM
Great thread, throughly enjoyed viewing all the images and reading in between... though it took some time.
It was time well spent.....
Thanks,
Steve

Alexandra
05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
A very energetic piece, Byron. It makes me think of a time warp...just grab a backpack and jump in!:cool::cool::cool:

pai
05-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Aww, I missed the first one you did when you come back. And, it's a great black and white one, one of my best combination I like. Haha..also it's nice to see you and Dakey , still not grown up as you guys said :p bratty brat ? :rolleyes::D:p

byroncallas
05-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Pai, Eighty, Sandy, Steve, : Thanks as ever.

Pai, yes, the brats run rampant; resistance is futile. :D;):p:rolleyes::D
Eighty, maybe we just need a bigger sink? And maybe a bigger net at the goal? :D
Sandy, pack your bags. ;):D
Steve, thanks, really, for takings some time to wander the thread and your warm feedback. :):cool::)

Thanks again, all. :)

D Akey
05-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Aww, I missed the first one you did when you come back. And, it's a great black and white one, one of my best combination I like. Haha..also it's nice to see you and Dakey , still not grown up as you guys said :p bratty brat ? :rolleyes::D:p

Yeah, Byron really needs to be monitored more closely. . . Adult supervision seems to be the prescription. I'm sure to never let one of his paintings go by for all the nudes he manages to imply -- You know they used to ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. . . Well Byron's koan is a little more of a poser and physically extreme. . . phew. He needs to be supervised. That's all there is to it.

byroncallas
05-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah, Byron really needs to be monitored more closely. . . Adult supervision seems to be the prescription. I'm sure to never let one of his paintings go by for all the nudes he manages to imply -- You know they used to ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. . . Well Byron's koan is a little more of a poser and physically extreme. . . phew. He needs to be supervised. That's all there is to it.

Dear Akey, to your close, surely Ron Popeil has an alternate declaration. :D:D:p;);):)
Meanwhile, if dogs run free...
But wait, there's more!
:D:D:D:D:D

byroncallas
06-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Maybe it's a reaction to being monitored too closely? Or being blown away by Mexico's goal keeper today [Memo was incredible]. I hope you all have had a nice spring, and a great summer awaits you. :D

Meanwhile, as usual, this will come together better full screen and viewed at a distance.

Caesar
06-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Either right or wrong, I can see a horse race and a football match here. The painting is so dynamic and the description of movement and action so vivid that You fully got into a sort of neo-Futurismo. Congrats!

coops
06-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Viewed from a distance this one look like Ware of the Worlds. nice one Byron:)

SCP
06-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Hey Byron I really dig your Black & White Doodle and your latest Work in full blown colour is Hypnotising ! Great mate !:cool::cool::cool:;)

D Akey
06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Dancing the colored Light Fantastic. I may have missed the point, but I would have to call this a process painting wherein the process of manipulating the colors was an end in itself. Looks great fun. . .

By the way, to me, if I were actually talking about what I see in this one is that there's an artist's beachcomber's style of shanty cabin on a low cliff over the ocean. The resident artist, out of disgust, in a mad creative fit to rid himself of triteness in his painting, cast all his powder pigments and paints and canvases into the sea, easel, brushes and all.

Coincidentally, down below the cliff, in the water where it was seeming to rain art supplies, there was at that very moment splashing around a formerly very famous porpoise actor who had been praying for a sign as to what he should do with his life now that his career in front of the camera was on the wane. He was aging out, and jobs began getting harder and harder to come by, as is so often the case with actors. So when he saw what had fallen from on high into the water around him, he took up plein water painting and grew happier and happier.

justjean
06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Byron, great use of great colours :)

byroncallas
06-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Jean, Katie, Caesar, Scott, DAkey, thanks as always for the spirited feedback. Much appreciated.

Akey, it was more likely an aardvark, or perhaps an armadillo, or a rabid honeybadger. Who can say, even on close inspection. :D:D:D:D:D:D;););):D

pai
06-24-2014, 04:32 PM
haha...it's just so interesting to see how the FIFA games so affected our artists here. It's so much to see and tell from these images how you expressed after watching so dramatic/intensive ball games ...like Caesar and Bryon now..haha :p:p:D:cool::cool::confused::confused::D

byroncallas
06-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Ha Ha Pai. And yes yes yes, especially after Mexico's WONDERFUL performance today, 3 to 1 over Croatia. What a second half. GREAT FUN.

stevemawmv
06-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Hello Byron.....Well, I full screened it and instantly saw the Mexican Eagle landing on the prickly pear cactus...like on the flag.
Must have a meaning to it....maybe not. So I did scrutinize your piece, but not at a microscopic level of viewing. Cool painting, dig it!
Take care,
Steve

pat1940
06-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Byron, great work and so interesting with many wonderful colors and shapes

Alexandra
06-27-2014, 02:04 AM
A fantastic piece, Byron, great to see you!

byroncallas
06-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Steve, Pat, Sandy: Thanks.

Steve, I just saying, I'm not saying.
But watch out Holland. :D

Belvrog
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Hey Byron. Good to see you found your way back to painting or finding the time to post them.:D I love the black and white one. To me that one plays perfectly with the illusion of a third dimension. Fantastic, rich... much to explore here.:) Great! Take care. Hope you'll be here more often!!!

byroncallas
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Belvrog, thanks. It's great to hear from you again. All best.

byroncallas
09-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Popping in for a quick hello.
Contemplating this and that, here is one explanation for us. Among the millions proposed, odds are it's just another bad guess.
;)