PDA

View Full Version : Byron's ArtRage Explorations

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

byroncallas
01-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Eileen: Thanks so much. I have surely enjoyed your continued visits and always enthusiastic comments. You always give me occasion to smile. I appreciate a lot your feedback on keeping the thread going. Your thoughts further encourage me to keep it current. :):):)

Jasminek: Thanks so much for your first visit and warm comments. To your color question,I gather you are referring to the first painting in the thread? It is constructed completely with the gloop pen. It particularly allows for a presentation of rich, bright and vibrant colors blending beautifully and cleanly together. Selecting colors near their "true" color hue on the color pickers with some slight moves left or right to alter luminance and saturation so they are not garish further helps bring a certain brilliance to color in AR. I guess the best approach is just practice with the beautiful range of colors available and, to your point of using only the oil brush, experiment with all the other tools and their various settings. Quickdry settings on some tools, as well as the "faster drying" tools like the ink pen and gloop pen can work wonders to control unwanted blends at butting edges. Experimenting with the various settings will yield results that are instructive. You can then make presets for those settings that will then yield predictable results for future efforts. Hope this helps a little. Again, thanks for your visit and upbeat comments. :):):):)

Lee: You're great and give me a giggle. :):):):D

RosyCallas
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Hubby,

This is my first day in the forum and I spent half the evening looking at your great thread without having to rush between cooking and watching you paint. This is really cool!!! I'm really loving looking at everyone else's paintings too.
I think I'm going to love participating in the forum. You know I really mean it, not only because I'm your wifey but because all the paintings that you've shown me of your friends here are all so great.:)

byroncallas
01-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Hey Wifey. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

I'm so happy you are here, but does this mean no more cooking???:D:D

byroncallas
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Updating the thread with some additional AR3 work - at least one previously posted to its own thread a few months back.

Titles:
#1: Thinking and Dreaming Outside the Box
#2: Gloop Pen Sticker Color Study #2 (or something like that)
#3: Birthing Chambers- All 100% AR3, No filters
- Designed visual affects best observed when blowing up full screen and viewing from a distance, especially the last of the three paintings.

pai
01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Love the last one especially that big psychedelic ball. If I look closely into this big one, I can see the 3D effects like so many small ones combine into one. Then, if I see the whole painting far, I am like inside a cave and into the alice in wonderland. Great one. :)

byroncallas
01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Pai, as ever, thanks again. And yes, for sure, with some of the paintings it's a whole different thing when blown up full screen and seen from a distance. It's the only way to see most of them correctly. Thanks for point it out. :):):)

byroncallas
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Adding: Byron's Shot at Albert's Red Spot
From the fun challenge thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258096#post258096
100% AR3
The texture in the green around the spot is from the JPG compression and is not in the painting - it doesn't belong there. Blow it up and it, happily, disappears.

Sketchism71
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Updating the thread with some additional AR3 work - at least one previously posted to its own thread a few months back.

Titles:
#1: Thinking and Dreaming Outside the Box
#2: Gloop Pen Sticker Color Study #2 (or something like that)
#3: Birthing Chambers- All 100% AR3, No filters
- Designed visual affects best observed when blowing up full screen and viewing from a distance, especially the last of the three paintings.

I believe I have seen the first and third paintings in previous posts but are most worthy of seeing again, and again, and again as is the majority of your work. In fact it is like a fine wine that gets better with age and I usually see something different or have a different take on it when I come back for a second, third or... look.

The second one is another firecracker! The gloop pen doesn't look anything like that when I have tried using it. Very cool Byron!

BTW, you better limit your time in the After Nine section now that Rosy is here...lol!:D:eek::D

Talk to you soon my friend!

D Akey
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Er, Byron, your three ball is looking kinda depressed. Must have missed his cue. :eek::p

byroncallas
01-07-2010, 12:44 AM
D'Akey: Hey, give him a break. He's had a hard day being surrounded by so much green but not allowed to spend it. :p:D

Sketch: Thanks loads for the great comments. :) (Er, that second part I thought you were, eh, keeping quiet.) :D;) LOL.

byroncallas
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Out of Chaos Comes...
I had to call it something. :D Hope you enjoy. Comments and commentary welcomed.:)
100% AR3
Airbrush, Ink Pen, Gloop Pen, Tube Paint, Glitter, Custom Made Stickers, Knife, Eraser. No Filters.
Visual effects are better observed blowing up full screen and viewing from a distance.

Sketchism71
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I know I already commented on this but I like to feed this hungry thread with words!:D:D:D Wonderful work!

Docsmith626
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I swear this looks sculpted. (I must learn this!)

byroncallas
01-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Sketch and Doc: Thanks bunches:

Meanwhile:
My process can result in several versions of an effort. Sometimes it's hard to choose which one is "it". I usually like to settle on one and the rest are filed away as also-rans. But after posting yesterday and then reviewing the alternatives, Rosy and I both felt like maybe we preferred an alternate take and I'm posting it here. The basics are the same but the visual with the sparser, cleaner, simpler background delivers a completely different impact (or at least I think so). So, on second thought, here is an alternate take. Your considerations about the differences would be fun to hear if you care to share them.

Docsmith626
01-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I do prefer the second version, it has a stronger visual impact. I would love to know how you got the 3D effect on the foreground objects. I want to do a composition that looks like it was assembled from old slabs of concrete.

SCP
01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
G'Day Mate!:D
Wow brilliant works Byron!
You really keep pushing and exploring the AR tool box, with wonderful Artwork to show for it.
The "Out of Chaos Comes" is very cool:cool::):):)

byroncallas
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Scott, thanks, much appreciated. Great to see you back after what has seemed way to long an absence. I've sure as heck missed you. :):)

Doc, thanks a lot for the feedback, and your choice of the two too. :) As for these 3d effects in objects, Artrage supports this to a degree by having three tools that put out paint with "bump" properties - they look 3d as you apply them. These are the oil brush, tube paint, and glitter. These paints can be further manipulated to produce a wide variety of 3D effects in objects. I have found a good way (there are others) is to mask an area with the select tool that has the shape you want and fill it with one of these paints. For me glitter works best. Then use (believe it or not) the blur blender (any of the blenders will give you interesting results, but the blur blender is great for initial forming for additional work) while containing it in the select area to near magically give it enhanced 3D properties. You can use other tools to do all manner of things to create texture by scratching and digging into the paint. Make a stencil of the object to support further work on the object as follows. Now make a new layer or layers above your construction. Use any of the tools (the airbrush and ink pen are marvelous here) to develop your color and lighting as appropriate to your subject, then merge the layers when you are happy with the results. These constructions can then become objects that you can further manipulate and/or copy and paste using the select and transform tools. The new objects can be further transformed in a variety of ways. I find it fascinating to play with. The words probably don't explain this that clearly and I'm typing on the run. I keep planning to do a tutorial for this, but just haven't gotten to it. Perhaps others have already done so on the tips and tricks forum section. Hope this helps a little bit and thanks for asking. :):):)

Docsmith626
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Byron. There is more than enough information there to get me started, though I may holler fror help from time to time. I had also considered piling up tube paint in a stencil, smoothing it with a knife, then doing several duplicate and add with the layers. Thanks again. Off to experiment.

byroncallas
01-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Doc, give a holler whenever. :):):):)

byroncallas
01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
These were two additional ones just to participate in the the Red Spot thread for fun:
Red Spot & RBG: pure red, blue and green for RBG color mixing

Real Color Blending + That Damn Red Spot: Experimenting with the real color blending settings and suddenly that damn red spot showed up.
OPTICAL ILLUSION: if you stand about 6 feet or more from your monitor and stare at the red spot and the yellow circle it sits in you might be rewarded with an optical illusion - what you are looking at may change from one thing to something else. Fun if you're into it. 100% AR3: Visual affects observed if blown up full screen and viewed at a distance.

People have posted some fun exercises in the Red Spot thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25801 . Check 'em out. :)

byroncallas
01-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Not Exactly Avatar
An exercise in bump modes and layers.

100% AR3
The "object" is built with glitter, blur blender, ink pen and eraser in several layers with "add" bump modes. The globe is Airbrush and blur blender with the circle stencil. The background a design with gloop pen turned into a sticker, and ink pen for glazing. No filters or other stencils.Hope you enjoy. Comments and commentary welcome.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26070

byroncallas
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
This was an exceedingly fun project to construct. I hope you like it at least a little. :):) Comments and commentary welcomed.
100% AR3;
Ink pen, gloop pen, custom stickers for some form skins, glitter for bump lighting, blur palette blender to turn glitter into forms, select tool to block in forms, eraser. No filters or stencils.Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26151

Caesar
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
WOW, what a magnificent last addition, dear Byron! I just emerged from Your previous vortex with the red spot ....:D

byroncallas
01-12-2010, 01:08 AM
LOL: Thanks bunches Caesar. :D:)

saddy
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Awesome Byron! Looks so wonderful works you have added lately. :)

byroncallas
01-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Hi Saddy, thanks a bunch, and thanks for stopping by again. :)

byroncallas
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
EDIT: Jan. 11, 2010: TUTORIAL ADDED: There have been several requests asking for a tutorial on how to create the 3D-like appearance in the painting in post #278 just above. The attached image shows one simple way of doing it. Hope it helps for those who are interested. The construction process is actually quite a bit of fun and fairly straightforward. :)

It will be easier to read if you select and blow up the image full screen.

byroncallas
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I did a doodle for asking a question in the technical forum. Looking at it again today I thought it was kind of fun so posted here. :):):)
100% AR
Ink pen (plus glitter & palette knife with blur settings to mold form)

Vivien
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I love to look through your pictures. It's like looking at an aquarium full of colourful fish! :D

byroncallas
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Vivien, thanks a lot for dropping by and your warm comments. I rather like the analogy. :D:D:)

SCP
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Byron,like your 3D effects lookin really good mate!;) Also nice avatar:)

Caesar
01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Thank You again, dear Byron, for sharing both Your great art and Your interesting discoveries which I hope were taken also in the tips and tricks Section, as valuable as they are!

byroncallas
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Scott, Caesar, Thanks a lot friends.

Caesar, yes, this little tut is now in the tips & tricks. Thanks for asking.

Best to you both.
Byron

Lima
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Byron reviewed your work. It is simply breathtaking, it is a really innovative work.:)

byroncallas
01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Oriane, thanks for dropping by one more time. Much appreciated good friend. :):):):)

Juz
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Love that icon you've done Byron. Actually its been really fun to watch your avatars changing of late :):)

byroncallas
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks Juzzy, and lol and you are a dear. I've been so busy recently I've not been able to get to much painting. I guess the only thing I've been able to post is a switch-out of avatars when I've got a moment to post to other people's threads. Hope I'm back with more substantial entries soon.:):):)

D Akey
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Quite a presentation. Gives your work a context in the real and virtual world. Would make really cool buttons for web design and whatnot. Who'd have thought. I also like that other one that looks like a flag or curtain a bit. Adds a really artsy character to industrial design stuff. Makes it highly distinctive and higher energy.

Very cool Byron. I look forward to any future paintings whether in a traditional painting context or in a surprise setting as seen here. :):):)

byroncallas
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks DA. Great you had a chance to drop by. I guess you squeezed yourself out of that cake, hey cowboy?

as212
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
byroncallas, I have been surprised to learn that you have unlimited creativity, and I have been thinking your unique effects, and will continue.

byroncallas
02-07-2010, 03:53 AM
byroncallas, I have been surprised to learn that you have unlimited creativity, and I have been thinking your unique effects, and will continue.
Thanks as2i2. Much appreciated. I hope to be posting more paintings soon - life has been busy recently - it's been difficult to sit down and seriously paint. :)

Caesar
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
This is now a cult thread, dear Byron, because of Your creativity and generous, valuable and exciting contributions ... AVE!

byroncallas
02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks Dear Caesar, you really are a prince - and I much appreciate your warm thoughts. :)

as212
02-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks as2i2. Much appreciated. I hope to be posting more paintings soon - life has been busy recently - it's been difficult to sit down and seriously paint. :)

byroncallas, I really hope to see you more work!

byroncallas
02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Thank you AS212. Me too. :):):):):):)

weembaman
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
WOW....Just went through this whole thread...very impressive, nice work....!!!...:)

byroncallas
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Thank you Weemb - and it is so darn great to have you back. Welcome home.
:):):):)

byroncallas
02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Happy Valentine's Day to all. :)

Lee
02-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Dear Byron, Thank You for the Valentine's Day Greeting, a true love explosion!!!! beautiful!!! Best wishes to you and yours today too!!:):):)

byroncallas
02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you Lee, and likewise back to you. It's been a lovely day, and we intend a lovely evening. All warm thoughts from both Rosy and me. :)

Belvrog
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi Byron. Just took a look at the paintings I've missed. Particularly I was hooked by Not Exactly Avatar-ARUP.jpg, Real Color Blending + Red Spot-ARUP.jpg and inkgloopblurbumpmaina-ARUP.jpg . Wonderful work Byron, creative colorful explorations !!!

byroncallas
02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Belvrog, thanks so much. I've missed you - glad to see you are back. I love the girl in the fields and all the mystery and wonder in it. :)

byroncallas
02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Out for a Stroll
Discussion thread in the Gallery Forum:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27475

Gloop, Paing Bucket, Ink Pen, Air Brush, no Filers: 100% AR3
A fun color and gloop line experiment.

justjean
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
This thread holds such an explosion of wonderful colours, textures and shapes and of course your great imagination and talent Byron , thanks for sharing :D

byroncallas
02-19-2010, 04:02 AM
JustJean, thank you so much. :)

Lee
02-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Dear Byron, with a place like that to stroll one would be singing and whistling and have very comfortable shoes on, lots of fun and cheer!!!:)

FireFytingNut
02-19-2010, 05:53 AM
wow wow WOW!!

There's a particular rainbowish set of snakes up there that is SOOOO freakin cool!! There's actually numerous favorites in here. Most of them are the reaaally 3D type ones and the squares with different shades and things. Way way awesome!

We've never met but it's great to have ya back anyway! Thanks for sharing all of that, those were toooo cool!

byroncallas
02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Lee, thanks a bunch - you're always so encouraging. :):):)

FFNut - thanks so much. Great to meet you, great of you to drop by, and thanks for all your warm comments. Glad you're here too. :):):)

jibes
02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I am very impressed and you certainly know your way around AR3. Valuable info. Thanks!

byroncallas
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
jibes, thanks much, much appreciated. :)

byroncallas
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Galoopaglee
100% AR3. Just the Gloop Pen - No Filters.
Discussion Thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27591

Views better if blown up full screen and viewed at a distance.

Sketchism71
02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Just thought I would stop by and browse through here for a while! There is always something to do in this thread! Also wanted to make sure my seat was still reserved for future shows! Hope all is well Byron and tell Rosy I said Hello!;):)

Lee
02-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Dear Byron, What a lovely trip!!!! fantastical beauty!!!:)

ENCHANTER
02-22-2010, 04:55 AM
i think this piece of abstract work could be on my wall!

Sketchism71
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I knew this was missing something! Nothing Jazz's up a cold Winters Afternoon like a little color and design from an original Byron Callas!:D:D:D

SCP
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
G'day Byron this Galoopaglee art makes a fine addition to your Gallery and also to Sketch's Wall,nicely done Eddie;):)

byroncallas
02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Really, thanks a bunch to you each for the warm feedback (Eddie, Rose, Scott, Enchanter, Lee) much appreciated.

And Eddie, you've most certainly made my day. I can't wait to show this to Rosy - I will as soon as she comes upstairs from watching her Mexican soap operas - I don't dare interrupt - much as I wouldn't dream of waking the restful sleep of your magnificent pup. But she'll love this as I do. Thanks for the tribute in the integration into your painting. Knowing Rosy, this is likely to become her sceen saver for a a while. Cool on all fronts good friend. :):):):):):):):):)

Weeks
02-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Byron,

Maybe you know things we don't... ;)

Best,

Weeks

byroncallas
02-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi Byron,

Maybe you know things we don't... ;)

Best,

Weeks

Then again, maybe I'm simply delusional.:D
Thanks Weeks. :):):)

byroncallas
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
100% AR3, paint roller only, no filters.
Discussion threat at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27679
This was fun - the paint roller is such a versatile tool.
Hope you enjoy.

janetcwest
02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Byron, your cityscape with the roller inspired my "ribbon" paintings that are shown under the thread "interesting effects with roller." Thank you for the inspiration.

I LOVE your use of color!!
Janet

byroncallas
03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Janet, thanks so much. that's great. I did see your roller painting and commented. I thought it was really cool.:):):):):)

byroncallas
03-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Hold That Thought
Hi all. 100% AR3, no filters.
Ink Pen, Airbrush, Chalk, Gloop Pen, Eraser, Palette Knife.
Hope you find it worth exploring.
Better blown up and viewed full screen.
Discussion thread athttp://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=281748#post281748

byroncallas
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Still Wandering After All These Years
100% AR3: Gloop pen, custom gloop stickes, sticker spray gun with other custom stickers, ink pen, chalk, glitter,airbrush, tube paint, watercolor, pallet knife, eraser. No filters.
Hope you like wandering around too. :):)

Discussion Thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27916

jibes
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
There are some wild textures here. It really looks convincingly like actual real items like thousands of rubber bands and such. Great job!

Caesar
03-05-2010, 11:11 PM
This new last texturized, colourful abstract is another brilliant and fantastic composition, dear Byron!

Lee
03-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Dear Byron, look forward to your paintings, such happy colors and textures, Still Crazy are you!!!:)

byroncallas
03-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Caesar, Lee, Jibes: thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Jibes, that rubber band look comes from a sticker I built mostly using the gloop pen. The tool allows for developing your own custom brushes of this sort for building a painting with specific visual intents. It's pretty cool. :)

screenpainter
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Great stuff Byron. I had also missed Paintrollerageous. What a delightful piece of abstract expressionism. It is wonderful!!!

byroncallas
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Albert, thanks a bundle.
Meanwhile, here's a new offering:

Spring is Sprung
100% AR3: Ink Pen, Chalk, Airbrush, Eraser, No Filters.

Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28041

coops
03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I love Hold That Thought, it has me flying high above, floating in the sky. Its wonderful Byron :)

Lee
03-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Dear Byron, as if you have a scientific read-out printed of the spring spectrographology:confused: stirrings, proof positive that it is here, lovely thought!!!:)

Caesar
03-12-2010, 09:32 AM
It seems a weird, far futuristic town ... Magnificent!

byroncallas
03-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Caesar, Katie, Lee: Thanks much. And thanks again for revisiting "the thread". Much appreciated. :):):)

Alexandra
03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow Byron, it reminds me of a cityscape. Awesome!:):):):):)

byroncallas
03-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks Sandy. I've been away for a week or so - lot's on my plate. Was great to see you post just popping in before returning to the salt mines. Thanks a bunch. :)

Juz
03-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Fabulous image Byron. As show by the posts here it evokes so many different responses in the viewer. For me its very oceanic. :):)

byroncallas
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Juz,

I've been away for weeks and hope to be back in the Forum soon. Just popped in and saw your note. Thanks tons.

Hopefully I'll catch up with you and everyone soon.

Best,
b

byroncallas
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi All. I haven't posted in a long while. The discussion thread for this one is at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=328257#post328257
But I'm posting here to keep the aging thread alive after a long hibernation. :)

Lee
12-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Dear Byron, HELLOOOOOO Byron!!! so nice to see you back, with another fantastic painting! may i say, there is something nuclear about it, the colors of those musroom fireballs and sudden firestorms and burned matchstick trees, on the other hand, it could be a New Years Eve party!!! xox:)

Sketchism71
12-01-2010, 06:51 AM
YES! Keep it alive! Feed it, water it, keep this thread alive! Over 16,000 views... That's incredible! You can print it and make a coffee table album/book from it. I would have it on my coffee table!:cool::D

Alexandra
12-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Eddie, what a great idea!!! I would love a coffee table book of your works Byron!

Lima
12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
YES! Keep it alive!

Keep it alive!

coops
12-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Its great to see your wonderful paintings again Byron and this one is brilliant:)

byroncallas
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Coops, Sketch, Oriane, Lee, Alexandria: Great to touch base with you all after so long. Thanks for the re-encouragement on all the work. I have missed you guys. I hope I'm going to be back around more again soon. I have to catch up with everything each of you is doing.

Thanks again - and catch you again soon I hope. And I hope the coming holidays find you all in good spirits.

Best,
:);)

screenpainter
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Great to see this thread surfacing again! And you as well my friend!

byroncallas
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Albert, thanks. Hope to see you around more often too. It's been too long. :)

byroncallas
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
An exercise: Lots of different AR3 brushes. Discussion thread at:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=328972#post328972

byroncallas
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Discussion thread at:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=329130#post329130

Mostly tube paint, glitter, various pallet knives, transparent ink pen used as a glazer.

byroncallas
01-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello all. A new one for the thread. Gallery discussion thread is at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33257. Here's hoping January kicked off a good 2011 for everybody.

Alexandra
01-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Beautiful abstracts Byron. Great to see you!

byroncallas
01-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks Sandy. I had a chance to poke around last night, there are so many new and wonderful paintings. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to comment on many of them. You have posted quite a collection of eclectic and fine work. And there seems a wealth of great work from our compatriots. I'm so far behind catching up. :)

silvy
01-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Glad to see you Byron! Great colors for your new abstract...it's an invitation for spring;)

byroncallas
02-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks Silvy. Great to hear from you. :)

byroncallas
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Discussion thread at:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33330
Playing around thinking of Spring while half the Northern Hemisphere is buried in snow.

Caesar
02-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Dear Byron, as You probably discovered from weather forecasts in US (I heard about), not even this wonderfully kaleidoscopic propitiatory painting of Yours is going to anticipate spring and stop storms and snow in many parts of Your country.:D:D:D

byroncallas
02-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Caesar, I thought it was at least worth a try. They say the sun is peaking through here an there. ;);););):)

AT-TA
02-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Expressive and interesting... really a colorfull world you always present to us and we like it so.

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
great to see your art again Byron. welcome back. these are great.
I love seeing your sticker work and all the fantastic techniques you design as well through your experimentation. great fun and great art.

byroncallas
02-05-2011, 07:27 AM
AT-TA, Albert, thanks a bunch. :)

byroncallas
02-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33373

Mostly ink pen tints supported by other tools in the under painting. Looks a little better if blown up full screen. :):):)

screenpainter
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I've got an idea Byron. Your work as a visualizer choice on itunes for listening to music. I love that colored equalizer or graph in there. very cool.

L Skylar Brown
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Luscious colors, rich textures, complex images of great skill!

AT-TA
02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Delightful colors so nicely put together.Like this a lot Byron.

Caesar
02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Dear Byron, You're possibly the only artist who can compose so many different objects and stimuli into a marvellous painting rather than a messy muddle ...

byroncallas
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Albert, AT-TA, Sky, Caesar: Thanks for your generous feedback. :):)

Albert: That's both funny and a cool idea. :):):)

byroncallas
02-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Dear Byron, You're possibly the only artist who can compose so many different objects and stimuli into a marvelous painting rather than a messy muddle ...

Dear Caesar, Certainly it's an extreme exaggeration (..."the only artist who can...?:)) but the underlying point is so much appreciated. My painting goals are terribly simplistic, to approach the former in your note realizing most will fall far from the cup. The latter is my fear. Hopefully most of the latter have ended in the wastebasket. Probably too many get posted when they shouldn't. Regardless, in the most simple way you seem to have articulated the totality of my painting goals however often (and too often) they fall short. Thanks a bunch. :):):):):)

eighty+
02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Byron never bothered much with absract stuff but this is a different
kettle of fish you've wrote a Symphony in colour congrats

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D----E/S

byroncallas
02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Eighty - thanks much for such warm and encouraging feedback. :):):):)

byroncallas
02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33400

Not so abstract - just sort of evolved unexpectedly a little more literal than normal. Mostly chalk, airbrush, ink pen, and pallet knife worked in all of the bump paints (oil brush, glitter, tub paint), and a sticker brush snuck in there too. More an exercise than anything. :):)
Not sure why - the jpg upload seems to drop out some needed highlights.

byroncallas
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33429

The form is bump paint manipulated with the blur blender. The painting is all gloop pen, no filters. The jpg upload nearly destroys the bump lighting and somewhat dulls the colors, but blowing up full screen seems to help a little. :)

byroncallas
02-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33459

As a practice piece this fits good into the thread. It's not really a painting. It is more a graphic design that emerged while experimenting with the different AR3 tools playing with different effects. It began to organize itself into a fun visual. I think most of the tools are covered: oil brush, ink pen, gloop, chalk, crayon, pencil, watercolor, paint roller, airbrush, tube paint, sticker gun, glitter, blenders, type fonts, stencils, select tool, etc. Just no filters - straight AR3 tools.

It was a big AR file. Most of the highlights are sadly lost and quite a bit of color is dulled in the JPEG compression for the Forum upload. If you blow it up full screen it will help. But it's still duller than the original file. Especially the highlights are lost which further dulls the image. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable experimenting excursion and I thought to post it. :):):)

Mike Martin
02-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Really great stuff! Love the second painting posted.

byroncallas
02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank Mike, much appreciated.

All: Adding a new exercise here (Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=338986#post338986 ).

Will be a little brighter and look a little better if blown up full screen. :):):):)

byroncallas
02-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33503
Hope you enjoy. Blow up full screen for best viewing.

byroncallas
02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33545
This will look much better blown up full screen. Hope you enjoy. :)

J Witt
02-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Thats an interesting 3d effect you have up there at the top.

Sketchism71
02-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Byron! Sorry I have been absent lately... I have missed a lot of your recent work. Fantastic stuff and it looks like you have been experimenting. You are a true ArtRage Pioneer. I would like to spend more time looking at your recent work before I comment further on each of them but from what I have seen so far... Simply amazing stuff! I have been very busy painting as well... except it has been painting my house (they have not come up with a digital program for that yet!). As far as digital, I have been doing some experimentation as well on both technique, color, and light. Hopefully I will emerge from my labyrinth of frustration and artistic agony soon with something interesting to look at. Until then, be well and I will be lurking in the shadows! :cool::)

byroncallas
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
J Witt: Thanks.

Eddie: Hey, great to hear from you. I've had some house painting painting of my own recently. Life distracts. :) I have managed to pop in recently and post some paintings - thanks for your always generous comments. I like some of the new ones, but I do feel I'm bumping up a little against an artistic rut. Things seem to be getting a bit predictable. I think I need to explore some new avenues. Nevertheless, I look forward to your additional feedback on some of the recent posts. And I hope we get to see more of your paintings soon. I've missed both your paintings and our exchanges. :):):):):):):)

Lima
02-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Byron Your paintings are fantastic. Impress me the small overlap of colors that you can paint. Very C:):)OL.

byroncallas
02-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Oriane - thanks again for all your great feedback. :):):)

byroncallas
02-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Discussion thread at : http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33585

HI all. Hope you enjoy. Was a lot of work, in part an experiment in how the heck to get rid of all those pesky pixels at the edges of forms where they butt, and deal with the horrible dark-black shadows when making forms from the bump paints. It turns out it's possible all in AR3 without using 3rd party software. Anyway, it was fun. :):):)

pat1940
02-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Byron, I am absolutely just blown away by your paintings, you can look at them a dozen times and see something different in the same painting, so interesting, thanks for sharing, love the 3D look and all those bright, beautiful colors;););););):):):):):)

Lee
02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Dear Sir Byron, This is soooooo YUMMY, like a box of Whitman's Sampler Chocolates,,, delicious gems!! awesome!!!:)

byroncallas
02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Pat, Lee, thank you both so much. It helps the spirits getting a few "made my day" responses. Thanks again - much appreciated. :):)

byroncallas
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, probably not really, but then, maybe it could be???? :):)
Gloop for sure.

Discussion threat at : http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=340766#post340766

byroncallas
02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
This is primarily a "glazing" experiment and a little bit of a puzzle. How you look at it should affect how you see it. It should fall together more sensibly if blown up full screen and viewed from several feet back (hopefully). :):):)

Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33664. Hope you enjoy.

Caesar
02-27-2011, 08:40 AM
A sort of weird flipper! Your works have such saturated optical effects! It's an absolute chromatic and rational pleasure to look at this!

byroncallas
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Thank you Caesar. Thanks for getting into the spirit of it. :):):)

byroncallas
02-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Difference is The Difference
Unfortunately, the JPG looks dull and muddy where the painting is bright and sharp. But hopefully you'll get the idea. This is all ink pen using the difference and normal settings always at 100% opacity. No transforms or rotations or tints, etc.; it's one layer with each stroke one on top of the other with the "difference" setting on the ink pen with judiciously chosen colors to give the impression of tints and depth. It's a bit of a careful stroke by stroke construction. I'm quite sorry the jpg is so muddy - I'm hesitant to even post it. It looks a little better blown up full size. Discussion thread is at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33681
Artifact for Framing
A fun 3d effect, best viewed full screen and viewed from a couple of feet back to get the full effect: Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33684

Comments welcomed. :)

byroncallas
03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
An experiment: if you blow up full screen and stand back a few feet, if the experiment has worked you should see a pretty decent 3D presentation. :)

Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33699

Comments are always welcomed. :)

EDIT: 1MAR11: I posted a little explanation in pictures in the discussion thread for those interested in images with these kinds of effects created in AR.

mannafig
03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
WOW it looks fab:):)

byroncallas
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Amanda, thanks a bunch.

byroncallas
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
The painting is 3000 X 9000 pixels so not possible to really grasp at this small upload size. Blow up full screen and view from a small distance will help at least a little. Hope you enjoy. Comments welcome. :)

Forum Gallery discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=342350#post342350

byroncallas
03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I have received quite a few recent requests to do a demo of how I construct some of my paintings. This painting was done for the demo. The demo discussion thread can be found at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33787. Check it out if you like. Comments/feedback, etc. are welcomed. :)

Edit: I have also posted the demo here after several requests, and it follows:

New Painting with Requested Demo

Hello Gang.

I’ve received several PM’s the last couple of weeks asking how I build paintings. I did this painting to illustrate one way I commonly work. It’s a simple painting to illustrate a typical approach.

I approach this painting pretty much the same way I would for a “real” media painting, starting with a base layer and then continually building on top of it a layer at a time in a consecutive and methodical order. The illustration of 14 steps below for this painting are pretty typical for me and I think easy to follow.

Steps 1 through 9 (the first nine images): Working on an initial idea, I use the AR bump lighting paints (glitter, oil brush and tube paint) with the pallet knife and eraser to build a textured base layer. The layer is the support form for giving various types of dimension to what will become the final painting. The select tool is helpful here for creating isolated areas for manipulating paint when building forms and texture. I’ve used the ink pen to lay bold opaque areas of color over the bump paints which will provide a base for glazing tints in the next steps. The ink pen is good for this because it reacts with the textured paint as if it is dry. It conforms to the forms for beautiful effects in both the under- and over-painting.

Step 10 (Image 10) is the first step in building the final design which was the original idea for the painting. This painting has stuck pretty close to the original idea. The ink pen is used to lay transparent “glazes” to build a color scheme that (hopefully) contributes to visual depth and interest, and that will invite visual exploration. (In other paintings many different things can be done with all the other various AR tools.)

Step 11 I begin to lay the design pattern at the bottom of the painting on top of what is already developed. I use the ink pen to start blocking out this new visual component.

By Step 12, I am using a combination of opaque and transparent applications of the ink pen to lay in the narrow, vertical straight lines one line at a time, constantly changing the pen size, aspect ratio, ink color and transparency. It might look complicated but this goes pretty fast and is a simple technique.

In Step 13 I added a new textured visual element (the textured circle) to provide a focal point that is (hopefully) a jumping off point for exploring the other visual elements of the painting. It is built with glitter, tube paint, pallet knife and eraser, glazed with the ink pen. Meanwhile I continue to refine the graphic elements at the bottom of the painting using the ink pen.

Step 14 is refinement and clean up. I used the pallet knife to somewhat reshape some of the base texture primarily around the textured circle, and to get rid of errant pixels. I used the airbrush to provide some atmosphere, lighting subtlety, and highlights at various points. It’s the final painting, also shown larger at the end of the demo.

Many of my paintings have considerably more complex “builds”, but this is a typical ordering. For those who were interested I hope it provides some useful pointers. Questions or feedback just give a yell. Comments and feedback are welcomed. [There were some nice discussions in the discussion thread.:)

Suha
03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
It's a wonderful, full of happy colors, I liked the offer of the art;)

byroncallas
03-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Suha, thanks so much for dropping by the thread and giving it a go. :):)

byroncallas
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
This is inspired by the chat thread running at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...504#post343504 (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=343504#post343504)
It's a playful exercise using the ink pen and fill tool only in one layer - coming off the related conversation in the thread. Enlarged full screen it will display better. Comments welcomed.
This is also posted in a discussion thread in the Gallery forum at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33888

Lee
03-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Dear Sir Byron, just love this!!! what was it called? floatsom and jetsum? or something like that? just a lovely seriously fun piece,,,:)

coops
03-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Wow wow wow what colours and shapes and ohhhhhhhh so much more . Well done Byron:)

byroncallas
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Lee, Katie, thanks a bunch. :)

byroncallas
03-15-2011, 12:15 AM
New addition: discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33923

byroncallas
03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Better at full screen.
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=345046#post345046

byroncallas
03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
This is my submission participating in Peter's great Art Project thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=28359 (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28359)

byroncallas
03-26-2011, 12:39 AM
100% AR3, no Filters, a fun exercise. Constructed to be viewed full screen and from a distance - it will be a more satisfying view. Gallery discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=345957#post345957

byroncallas
04-23-2011, 05:25 AM
100% AR3, No Filters.
Discussion Thread @ http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34681

byroncallas
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Having posted the following in response to a question in a different thread, I received a few PM's suggesting I post it here, being relevant to this whole thread. So, here goes:

Originally Posted by gzairborne http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/images/ca_morpheus_gray/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=351337#post351337)
hello kindred spirit. :) Do you do these at a rather fast pace? I visualize you making these thousand decisions rather rapidly. I seem to look at your work and sometimes ask the question why is this here? Oh, why is this one a bit differently placed? very entertaining art. Hi Albert. Thanks for the great question, one that gets asked now and then in one way or another. The answer is different for different paintings. However, in general there are some principles that guide my work which result in certain processes and behaviors.

In the early stages of the painting things generally go rapidly as an idea is sketched out. The idea becomes a skeleton upon which to build. As the painting progresses things slow down. The introduction of nuance, the rearrangement of elements, the introduction of new elements, and the precise placement of elements become thoughtful and methodical. The last 20% of the work takes 80% of the time. The 80/20 rule holds consistent sway over my efforts.

Generally most “artists” have some goals in their paintings whether or not they are well articulated. I have a few that act as guides for my output. My intents as a lyrical abstractionist (that seems to be the class most of my paintings seem to fit into though I never set out to be a lyrical abstractionist) are :

To illustrate order and integration in what at first appears randomness and chaos
To achieve visual harmony in a world of apparent visual dissonance
To achieve a whole that is many times greater than the sum of its parts
To actively engage the viewer in a coherent visual journey with many points of interest and surprise
To engage the viewer with visual introspections that provide intellectual and emotional pleasure
To leave an interested and thoughtful viewer with an experience that the time taken in the journey was well spent

Of course not all the paintings will achieve these goals. Certainly most fall short. But these are generalities that are my guiding principles.

In a way I think of myself as a landscape painter, except that my paintings are mindscapes. A landscape painter takes dozens, even hundreds of random artifacts in the environment and organizes them into a coherent whole. The best landscapes immediately hit you with a total and powerful visual harmony. But as you look close the many elements that make it up become interesting in their own right – various trees, buildings, streams, mountains, meadows, stone walls, caves, caverns, shadows, birds, animals, people, sunlight, even individual pebbles, sticks, flowers, or maybe even an individual limb or leaf on a tree might in its own right spark some interest as it is discovered. Each element in its seeming random existence will somehow be a perfection contributing to a thoroughly satisfying whole.

So, finally I get to your question and why the last 20% of the painting takes 80% of the time. Again, I think of my paintings as mindscapes. The mindscapes are composed of seemingly random symbols, usually in the form of simple shapes (line, circle, square, triangle, tube, grid, etc.), contrasting textures, and usually pure and contrasting colors, organized in a way that somehow results in a coherent whole that is harmonized through a plethora interesting visual points which, while distinctly separate, somehow work together successfully. Perhaps that is my metaphor for life (?).

While the first 80% of the painting, laying out the general landscape (mindscape), goes pretty fast, the last 20% is an exercise taking a lot of time looking and deciding what elemental details seem to be required where. I try a lot of things to balance objects, textures and colors all over the painting to develop visual tensions, harmonies, and integrations that seem to make it all come together successfully. Sometimes I’ll agonize over a single dot or nuance in color or degree and form of texture in just a certain place, relating that place to some other on the distant side of the canvas.

Lots of stuff just doesn’t work. A single misguided choice can destroy the integrity of the whole. It’s easy to go down a failed path. Too often I do. But now and then it all comes together. Most of the time, with the passage of time, it becomes suddenly apparent which paintings have fallen short. Those provide a world of input for now and future efforts, realizing that gems are few and far between.

So the short answer is that the beginning of paintings go fast and the end of paintings go slow, sometimes very slow. Towards the end of paintings things are placed with specific intentions for creating integration and harmony in an holistic, visual, abstract expression. I’ve provided the long answer so the short answer has context that helps it make sense.

I don’t think my process is uncommon or special. It mimics the way I think a lot of artists work in all kinds of fields from music to dance to film to writing. It’s of course not the only process, but I think it is a common one.

This is probably too long and I hope not too pretentious. But for those few here who seem to express more than a casual interest in my painting, this attempts to explain what guides my artistic choices and reflects my general sensibilities. I find my efforts only mildly successful. But the engagement is a thoroughly satisfying enterprise.

Edit: a subsequent thought, contextually, a different way of saying the same thing: The human body is an example of an integrated whole that is much greater than the sum of its parts. Each organ, and each cell come together to make a successful totality. You could not discern or predict a human being by only looking at a heart. However, when the heart is seen in context with all the other organs it becomes a perfection in its own right that is even more magnificent to behold.

Each organ in the human body is a total universe of interest which is critical to the perfection that makes a whole human being. You can spend a lifetime studying the heart. It is so rich and uniquely complex. But as you move on from the heart to observe a different organ which itself is fascinating and full of interest, you come to see how all the organs together conspire to make a deeply moving, overwhelming perfection that is the human being.

It seems a good metaphor for building a painting, taking pains to ensure every element of the painting is meaningful in its own right, and which contributes to a thoroughly satisfying whole that could not be predicted by observing any one element in isolation.

That doesn’t mean all paintings have to be labored or complex. It is simply a point of view which, as a guiding principle, can help the artist make visual choices at all moments in his creative process, and which elevates, by the artists own choice, the meaning and value of his artistic efforts.

waheednasir
04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
very lively thread to browse thru. nice collection..:).

byroncallas
04-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Thanks Waheed - thanks for taking a stroll through the thread. Much appreciated.:)

byroncallas
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Been busy painting the house recently, but thought to send a Twitter.
Best viewed full screen and standing back. Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=358386#post358386 :)

D Akey
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Byron. Glad you brought this thread back into view, especially in the context of that fascinating explanation of what your process tends to entail. I kinda got in your paintings that which you have taken lengths to explain.

I have always seen abstraction as unlocking the door with the key of imagination. . . Because beyond it is another dimension. . . a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. . . where we're moving into a land of both shadow and substance. . . of things and ideas. . .

. . . to one extent or the other. It's all about mystery. And part of the process, both in painting and in trying to get a verbal handle on it, is in fact making it all find meaning, at least in my case it is. And if one is looking for a metaphor, the idea of Life is not entirely dissimilar, is it? I strongly encourage you to get a book called "Man's Search For Meaning" by Dr. Victor Frankl. I had to read that in high school when I was preparing to make my leap into adulthood. Dug up a copy several years back just to see if it was as impressive as I recalled. It was.

He was a holocaust survivor, and he had seen many people perish and many survive, and he wondered at what made the difference. My guess is that were you to read it with an eye on the metaphor of the abstract artist and his creative process, you may find some further insights.

As to the process of 20/80, and your mentioning that it takes longer to finish it, as you mentioned also other creative disciplines may well have a similar ratio, I will bring up Stephen King, what he wrote in his how-to book "On Writing". He mentions (paraphrasing) that he writes as fast as he can at the beginning so he can stay 'hot'.

Then when he is done, he puts it away for a month or so to get away from it. And then he looks at it again. It's at this point he will be able to see what he was actually writing about. He never thinks in terms of theme as he writes his first draft. But it often happens that one was written into it unconsciously. And so he says that he can then see what he was writing.

I don't know if it's a 20/80 split. But between his process, then the folks he has as readers with feedback, and editors and all the revisions, it may well be that there's a bit of time involved in that phase.

Anyway, enough about all that. Great process. It's a pleasure to watch you create.

Be well! And keep up the great work!

D Akey
06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to make note and offer my congratulations, Byron, on your 20,000th viewing stat. Bloody hell, lad. . . that's really something. WOO HOO!!!! :eek::cool::cool::cool::cool:

byroncallas
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks D Akey. I'm astounded at passing the 20,000 mark and thank everyone for their interest and feedback over the past 18 months. Thanks a lot for noticing and dropping a congratulatory note. You remain as ever a Prince.

And particularly thanks for your feedback on my process articulation. Thanks for the recommendation for "Man's Search for Meaning." Funny, I've over the years meant to pick it up but somehow it never happened. You've given me a new reason to and I'll do it.

I'm familiar with Stephen King's process, one he sure makes good use of, and one similar to Issac Asimov's, who, I am told, simply never stopped writing. Certainly there are many different approaches. Ayn Rand took 13 years to write Atlas Shrugged and near as long to write The Fountainhead. I can't imagine that approach, and I doubt I'd be comfortable with King's either, two extremes of each other.

But with a lifelong occupation of dealing with "creatives" in many fields, something like the 80/20 rule appears to be a common creative process. Of course, with thousands of graphic professionals there is the process of "nothing happens until a few hours before the deadline when suddenly a flurry of activity produces magic (or s**t). And that's certainly true for much commercial writing.

I have an artist friend of 40 years whose process is working on many paintings at once with constant revisions, usually taking close to a year to complete a painting, going back and forth over many months. Sometimes I go to his home and a painting that was completed years ago suddenly has new elements, or a new face, or new color shirt, somewhat like Degas who simply never considered any painting finished.

Probably if we got very analytical we'll discover there are something like nine standard creative processes that can be mapped with their differences and distinctions in a grid. I'm SURE someone has already done it. And I'm sure all of them produce great work and, of course, not always such great work. But undoubtedly they all are relevant, efficacious, and integral to the human propensity to be driven to create.

Thanks again D Akey. You're one person here we can always count on for both good humor AND real introspection. I most personally appreciate your thoughtful feedback along with your more mischievous articulation.

Take care and best thoughts,
Byron

coops
06-11-2011, 07:01 AM
WOWEEEEEEEEEEEE congratulations dear Byron on your so many many post and thanks for the wonderful, colourful and veryintriguing paintings over this time. I hope to see many many more from you Byron:):):)

byroncallas
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank you Katie for such an enthusiastic cheer. You're the bees knees. Big hugs,
Byron

byroncallas
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Discussion Thread at:http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35569
Hope you enjoy.

Caesar
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I hope You're back in action now (if Your house refurbishment is up), dear mate. This colorful composition is the best way to start well the day!

byroncallas
06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks Caesar. There still seem a plethora of chores beckoning. But I do hope to be back in action here soon. Besides, I miss you. :)

byroncallas
07-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been trying to extract myself from a number of "chores" so I can get bac here at the forums and stay up to date with everyone's efforts. A quick review shows so many wonderful paintings posted over the last weeks.

Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35755

Caesar
07-04-2011, 10:24 PM
You cooked up another wonderful artpiece here! I'm afraid there's some substance too that makes us addicted to your fabulous compositions, since they call us back to take more and more delight from them ...:D

pat1940
07-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Byron, I just love your art, you come up with such beautiful colors and designs, it is so alive and exciting, love it:):):):):):):););););););)

byroncallas
07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Pat & Caesar: Thanks a bunch, and for continuing to visit the thread. This one was done with the AR 3.5 upgrade. It's such a terrific set of improvements, including everything runs so much faster. Hard to beat such a terrific free upgrade.

byroncallas
07-10-2011, 08:39 PM
An experiment with the new AR3.5 upgrade. Just a fun exercise pushing the paint around - no filters - mostly tube paint, ink pen, eraser, and knife with a little air brush and chalk thrown in here and there.

Is a little more fun blown up full screen and standing back a couple of feet.

Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=363220#post363220

justjean
07-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Byron, always a wonderful sight to visit this thread to see your great compositions of colour and design :):)

byroncallas
07-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks so much Jean. Much appreciated. Thanks a lot for dropping by the thread now and then and your always warm comments. :):):)

byroncallas
07-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=363857#post363857

AR3.5 effort, takes advantage of some of the new tweaks in the tools, hopefully. :)
Better if you blow it up.

byroncallas
07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
SomeOneSane made a terrific sticker for making mazes. I took the sticker and made a variety of presets to build a maze of a different sort and here's the result. It is 99.9% SOS's sticker run through the sticker-gun brush at various settings. Hope you like. Blow up full screen for the best visual effects.
Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=364504#post364504

Also, SOS has a fun Maze project at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...499#post364499 (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=364499#post364499) Check it out and contribute your own maze. It's fun. :)

justjean
07-17-2011, 01:42 AM
worms, worms, worms LOL,a great and amazing maze Byron, I think I just might go and play with that sticker :D

byroncallas
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
JJ, thanks a lot. And the worms thank you too. :):D:)

byroncallas
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
It's been a long while since I posted. Here's an unmitigated mess. Blow up full screen for better view. Discussion thread at: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=379797#post379797.

coops
10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Great to see you again Byroin and like the painting very much. Conveys to me for some reason, speed, maybe its because I also see a train, anyway great work again:)

Caesar
10-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Fantastic new entries, dear mate! Where have You been for so long? Looking at Your painting Your originality and creative force is strong as ever!

pat1940
10-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Byron, so nice to see you back, missed your wonderful paintings, the last ones are great, always lots of colors and designs:):):):)

byroncallas
10-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Katie, Caesar, Pat: thanks a lot, and particularly for the warm welcome after such a long hiatus. I hope to be in there commenting again on all your great work soon. I've missed you. :)

byroncallas
10-21-2011, 07:03 PM
This was a practice piece I somehow missed uploading during the beta for AR3.5. It was just trying out stuff with the color loading flat and edge knives.
I didn't know where this would lead. Looking at where this started I'm surprised where it ended up (see the progression of the 18 panels, starting with tube paint, then flat knife treatment completed with edge knife treatment). :)
Discussion thread at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=379927#post379927

Caesar
10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Interesting experiment! You got a sort of mirrors house.

D Akey
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Very groovy process. Like playing with rainbows or prisms. :):):)

EB
10-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I looked at this artwork you posted the other day. I liked it and I thought I left a comment. I went back about 9 pages looking for it to see your response and to my surprise I found no post from me. I think I may have taken to long on the add comment page and artrage made me log in again. I suspect when I did log back in the post was dropped or maybe I'm going crazy. At this time it may be to early to dismiss either possibility. :)

byroncallas
10-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Caesar, D Akey: Thanks loads. :):):)

byroncallas
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I looked at this artwork you posted the other day. I liked it and I thought I left a comment. I went back about 9 pages looking for it to see your response and to my surprise I found no post from me. I think I may have taken to long on the add comment page and artrage made me log in again. I suspect when I did log back in the post was dropped or maybe I'm going crazy. At this time it may be to early to dismiss either possibility. :)

EB, thanks. Maybe you've entered the Twilight Zone? All things are possible. Thanks for the good chuckle, and for your warm comments. :)

Edit: Mystery solved. You commented at the discussion thread link. I just thought you'd like to know you still have all your marbles. :D

Lima
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Last edited in 10-23-2011... fantastic thread.

screenpainter
02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
we can't let Mr. Callas fade away... good call Oriane!

pat1940
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi Byron, nice to see you again, these are so exciting to view, all so powerful with wonderful colors and great designs....love them all:):):):):):):):):):)

SCP
02-08-2012, 12:04 PM
I have missed the wonderful Byron .;)

Shibui
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
1st time seeing this,want to see more!

D Akey
02-08-2012, 03:08 PM
How did I miss those leading paintings! WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

I'll have to go through and really look. Fantastic save!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

coops
02-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Byron really rocks, great to see this one again:)

byroncallas
02-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Katie, D Akey, Scott, Pat, Albert, Oriane:
Well, hi there old gang. I'm sorry I've been away from here for many months. Rosy and I have been up to our ears with this and that - projects galore. I do hope I can get back here and spend more time with everyone soon. I was getting all these emails about posts to the thread and it's a delight to come and see all of your delightful and warm comments. I promise not to fade away. I'll come stumbling back in here sooner or later. Meanwhile I hope each of you are well, and I miss you.

Shibui: Thanks for stopping by. One of the joys of this forum has always been meeting new and talented people. :)

Best to eachof you.
b

silvy
02-10-2012, 04:34 AM
:)I'm glad to see you again, miss your colors;)

byroncallas
02-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks Silvy. I do hope to be back here more often. I miss you and everyone else too. A quick peruse shows I've missed a lot of great work. :)

byroncallas
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi All,

I've been away for months. It looks like everything has changed? It all looks nicer.

I hope to catch up with everyone's paintings soon. This one was done the end of last year. I didn't like it at the time. But I ran across it today and felt better about it, so here you are.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back here more ofthen.

I miss you guys.

Best,

Byron

Tanzenkran
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I have looked at your other paintings while you have been away and think your art is so good.

Caesar
07-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Great to have You back, dear Byron! I see You switched on Your colorful neurons and had a new artistic blast!

coops
07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Its great to see you back Byron and with such a colourful painting:)

gxhpainter2
08-01-2012, 03:39 AM
byron...good to see you back, can't wait to see some new paintings!..:cool::cool:

pat1940
08-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Byron, am so glad to see you back as I always love to see your artwork, it is so good, I missed it

silvy
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Good to see you back Byron's:):):)
I missed your art!

byroncallas
08-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm words.
Meanwhiile, I hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics - lots of inspiring stuff going on there. Rosy and I have been glued to the TV, so forgive the late response.
:)
b

Alexandra
08-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Wow Byron, another fantastic pattern. Great to see you!

byroncallas
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Sandy. :)

D Akey
08-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Hey Byron. Great to see you back again! Hope all's well.

The painting looks to me like optic nerves coursing with artistic stimulation from looking at a painting, or intent of projecting it onto a canvas to paint. 2 way street sort of thing.

byroncallas
08-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi D Akey, thanks a lot. Yes, doing well, but busy as all get-out. I like your 2-Way Street. :D
And I hope you've been well too!

byroncallas
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Revisiting the gloop pen for old times sake, some transparent ink pen thrown in.
The jpg compression loses a lot from the png, but it helps a bit blown up full screen, and standing back a little.

coops
08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Great to see you painting again Byron. This one reminds me of a diver in a helmet looking out at the wonderful creatures under the sea.:)

pat1940
08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Byron, I really like this last one, and it is so nice that I can view your paintings again

byroncallas
08-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Pat & Katie: Much thanks. :)

byroncallas
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi all. Thought to pop in, say hello, share some thoughts on globalization. :)
I hope you all are doing well, and maybe you'll enjoy the painting.
FYI, this is all one layer.
It's more fun full screen and standing back a bit from your monitor.
Meanwhile, winter approaches!!!!! Keep warm.

jibes
11-05-2012, 06:38 AM
All cool stuff. Enjoyed the trip!

justjean
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
They are all so interesting and that last looks like the trees around my place after the snow :)

byroncallas
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Jean, Neal,
Thanks a bunch. :)

Caesar
11-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Dear Byron, I'm glad You resumed Your extraordinary, creative, visual trip in here!

artage
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice, very 3D-ish...

byroncallas
11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks Caesar. Appreciated. :)

byroncallas
11-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Sometimes it's fun to just take one tool and see what the heck happens. This is mostly the paint roller (a little airbrush here an there). No blends and such, but a few layers.

Zeropainter
11-25-2012, 11:56 PM
whow, the last one is so nice. An nice eyecandy.

Caesar
11-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Your last colorful pleasure-gear is a most enjoyable image!

gxhpainter2
11-28-2012, 04:53 AM
byron....very nice... I like the circular area it appears to be floating above the background a bit but also has transparency to tie it back in...very interesting work..:cool::cool::cool:

coops
11-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Wow Byron, the world does revolve in colour, well done on another super painting:)

byroncallas
12-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Katie, Gary, Ceasar, Zero: Thanks for the kind comments. :):):)

justjean
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Great explosion of colour

pat1940
12-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Nice one Byron and so nice to see you again

Fashmir
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I enjoy your use of color Byron. I also really like the way the circular shapes provide anchors, a solidity for the eye to navigate around, while also adding dimension.

drawing4art
12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Been through all of this thread and got to say that I love all the vibrant, funky,colourful work that you have created and shows what AR can really do, plus also it gives a lot on inspiration to noobees like myself. Thank you for all your experimenting and testing.:D

byroncallas
12-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Thank you everyone.

drawing4art: you might want to visit the MOARA thread. It is inspired. It is a tribute thread covering every type of art imaginable. If you're looking for inspiration and what AR can do, it's a wonderful journey. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?19695-Moara-Coops

David: You're are always generous. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Pat: Thanks for dropping by. Yes, a while since we connected. I hope I can visit more frequently. I'm sure glad you are still here and posting your wonderful work.

Jean: Thanks a bunch and likewise. Great to hear from you.

Thanks again all. :)

D Akey
12-14-2012, 05:46 AM
I can hear Sulu now. "Captain, we're approaching the planet ArtRage 3 in the Callas system. . ."

Very lively world view, through the eyes of a visionary. Go Byron! Take us out. . . yonder. . .

byroncallas
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks Akey. We're engaging warp speed now; Sulu, make it so. :D

note. one layer. mostly paint roller worked with edge knife.

Caesar
12-17-2012, 10:28 PM
A quite original creation, partly a futuristic painting, partly a weird dimension where the marvel character of Dr. Strange, the sorcer, the magician, would feel comfortable. The palette and the arrangement of the colors are absolutely delightful.

coops
12-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Wow Byron what great colours, love it:)

byroncallas
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Coops, Caesar, thanks bunches.

D Akey
12-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Inside the artist's bag of tricks.

It's as if these artistic bubbles are thought clusters about color and the linking lines are configuring a Jungian complex for the artist, the how you say, the 'go to' forms of one's expression -- the seed of what one will likely do using a painting style is here. . . it's DNA level theme park adventures - the flume ride o' life. . . Better be fun, having had to stand in line forever it seems.

or for the more genre inclined subjective interpretation, it's a macro shot of a bubble bath and I have to Conan my way through it to get to the girl with the curvy bits -- Bettie Page via Frazetta.

gxhpainter2
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
very nice byron... these seem well organized and pleasing to the eye and spirit... your work seems to have made its own warp speed adjustment into a new realm..

byroncallas
12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys.
Much appreciated.
And I hope everyone has had good holidays so far, and will prosper in the New Year.

Lima
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Very cool to see your work again. A beauty how you transform the colors in an abstract tangle of details. A treat for the eyes.

byroncallas
01-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks Oriane. You're ever the encouraging friend. I hope to get more uploaded soon. Thanks again.

byroncallas
02-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Goodness! I haven't posted since Dec 17 (2012). Where does the time go? One place it went for me; I had the good fortune to participate in the recent AR4 beta. Of course in Betas you just try all kinds of stuff trying to find stuff that ain't working like it's supposed too. When you do that you sometimes just try wild things. Some of those wild things can come out pretty interesting even if they aren't all that great shakes as paintings (maybe?). One of the fun new tools in AR4 is the symmetry tool and its endless uses and fun paths. I spent a lot of time testing it. Over the next week or so I'll post a lot of these tests, just for the fun of it. Maybe it will give people ideas. Following are five. Two of them use Sav's (Boxy's) new Mosaic brushes to build the paintings. Two are variations on the same exercise, and the fifth is heavily layered with tube paint. They are more designs than paintings. I hope you like 'em anyway, and that they will illustrate some of the opportunities afforded with the Symmetry tool. I'll post more in a few days, along with tests of other new tools and features in the new AR4. I LOVE the new version. Really elegant, terrific speed improvements, some wonderful new tools, and great enhancements to several old ones, an engaging and efficient alternate "workbench" interface while retaining the old but wisely tweaked interface (they integrate well together) and just general all around great touches that elevate the program substantially. LOVE IT. Anyway, here are five Symmetry Tool exercises. I hope you enjoy them.
As usual, these are built to be viewed large size and seen wth a little distance - you may want to view full screen.

screenpainter
02-22-2013, 12:58 AM
love to see you posting work again Byron. I was especially fond of wild symmetry tube paint.

coops
02-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Absolutely stunning Byron:)

Lima
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
WOW, Dear friend. Fantastic images, all smartly elaborated from your mind and finelly executed. Brilliant.:cool:

byroncallas
02-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Lima, Katie, Albert: Thanks. These were fun. I'll post a few more of these Symmetry Tests before posting more of the AR4other Beta squiggles, maybe tomorrow. Thanks a lot for stopping by and commenting.

Caesar
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Byron, You went symmetric in the most outstanding way. Your last artpieces seem about to leave the Flatlandian frame and get the third dimension by entering in our universe.