PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Flickr Photo Reference Site

Raybrite
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
We have opened a group on Flickr to host photos for reference.
These photos are from members of this forum and are to be used as a reference for your painting if you wish.
The site is called ArtRage Reference Photos
As this group is a private group, nothing will show up until you are a member.
Please be so kind as to mention the source of your photo when you use one of them.
The group is a family group and is not an official ArtRage Site. It is the idea of some of the members of this forum.
Feel free to ask any questions you may have by sending me a message. I will try to find an answer to them.

To join this group, you must be invited. This is a rather simple process though it may take some time.

1. Join Flickr
2. Contact either Raybrite, IrishRose09, Bumblewales, or Silentmaan on flickr
and identify yourself.
3. We will check our messages and add you as a friend so we can send
you an invitation to join
4. When you recieve the invitation, follow the directions and you will be
added to the group.

Bumble
11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
:D:D:D Yay!

Silentman
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Okay i'm known as Silentmaan over at Flikr, my Flikr address is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentmaan/ you can send an invite to my Gmail account, [email protected]

Cya soon :)

Fashmir
11-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I went ahead and made it sticky, hoping the guys wouldn't mind. This sounds like an excellent project and resource and I thank you who started this up. Please consider me an interested party in being invited. :)

Silentman
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM
WoW twice stikied Twice as excited lol

Fashmir
11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Rose- That's so funny. He and I must have acted at nearly the same time. When I got the moderator's message from you and you asked Dave to do it, I was sleepy and thought I was being addressed rather than DaveRage (My name's Dave too). I went and looked at the flickr thread and it wasn't sticky so I stickied it. :D

pai
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I think I am finding a little issue here or the logic seems not right but I am not so sure.

In order to join this group which has set to PRIVATE to upload our photos and get admin/moderator to approve. Also avoid public/other Flickr members use our photos. These are the issues I found. These are few options:

1) Set all your photos to partially rights reserved to join this group.

Issue: If your Flickr account is set to view by public. Then all your photos will still use by other Flickr members because you set your license to partially.

2) Set all your photos to partially rights reserved and set your account only view by your contacts/friends.

Issue: All your photos will be used not just by Artragers but still also from the contacts/friends in your contact list inside Flickr account. I think this still OK but just if I also put my Artrage art works under the same account. It won't be abled to view by public.

3) Set all your photos to all rights reserved but set your account as public.

Issue: All your photos can be viewed by every public/Flickr member even any Artragers but not able to join the Artrage photo references group. (I tried but Ken couldn't get the photos approved and uploaded)

4) Two separate accounts. One just to upload photo for this private group. One maybe other photos / artworks you want to share with public/Flickr members.

Issue: Too many Flickr accounts to manage.

Could anyone good in using Flickr account can help me understand how this work. What type account should I setup?

Raybrite
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Pai.
Don't change anything yet. Your account is okay the way it is as far as I can tell. The problem is with flickr.
As to the copyright. I sort of understand that when you post your copyrighted photo on flickr you are giving permission to the members to use it as reference for their paintings and drawings on ArtRage and for their personal use. Any use that is more than that will require your personal permission.

This is the first time this problem of not being able to get a photo into the pool has occured. I think the flickr people are sleeping right now. They are in California. We should hear something from them by tomorrow.

I hope this doesn't confuse anything more.:):):)

Silentman
11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
As far as i understand, there isn't an issue, the photo's submitted to the Flikr group, will only been seen by the flikr group members no matter what copyright permissions is used, if you've uploaded them to your account 1st then they will be available to all Flikr depending on what conditions you have set, the only people who can see the photo's submitted to group are the group members, but that doesn't mean that if you have them in a set in your Flikr account that other Flikr members can't see them also, it all depends on what permissions and copyright you have set for the photo's.

This is becoming a little more complicated than it really needs to be i think.

Step 1) choose the photo's you would like to share with the Artrage Flikr group.

Step 2) Upload them or if they are already uploaded share them with the group, you will see the function for that.

Step 3) make sure that the correct Copyright is set for the photo's your sharing with the group, the correct Copyright is the Creative Commons Not For Commercial use, this allows the member to use the photo's you submitted for free for private use only, meaning they can not sell the photo, or artwork made with the photo's without written permission of the copyright holder.

Step 4) once approved your photo's will be seen and usable by the members of the ArtRage Flikr group only, "unless" you also have these photo's in a "public set" in your Flikr Account, the group only hosts copies of your photo's, so if you've previously uploaded them and they are part of a set that has been made "public", the public will indeed see them, but the group will also be able to see and use them.

I don't see the problem, the photo's and your own Flikr account is yours, the only things that changed is you decided to be part of the ArtRage Flikr Group, and submit a few photo's for it's members to use for free for non commercial usage.

pai
11-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Step 3) make sure that the correct Copyright is set for the photo's your sharing with the group, the correct Copyright is the Creative Commons Not For Commercial use, this allows the member to use the photo's you submitted for free for private use only, meaning they can not sell the photo, or artwork made with the photo's without written permission of the copyright holder.

So is that means the photo I upload to Artrage photo reference group with "creative commons" permission changed will also use by other Flickr members, right?:confused:

I didn't mean to make it complicated. Just want to understand how this public/private and copyright thing works here. I think your suggestion is to choose the ones which both share with the Artrage Flickr group but also allow others Flickr members to use as "Creative Commons and Not For Commercial use"

Raybrite
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
The way the statement on the group is made, you give permission to the ArtRage members permission to use the photos (if we can ever get them loaded) for their personal use and to paint them and put it on ArtRage.

If they want to use it for something else, they must ask you.

From what I know about it, these are the only rights you are giving up regardless of your copyright.

As far as Flickr members who are not ArtRage members, they are bound by any copyright restrictions you have placed on them.:):):)

Silentman
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
So is that means the photo I upload to Artrage photo reference group with "creative commons" permission changed will also use by other Flickr members, right?:confused:
Only if it's in your own Flikr account and available for other Flikr members to use.

Nothing in the ArtRage Flikr account can be used or seen by other Filkr users unless you've made it that way, the ArtRage Flikr account is private, only viewable by it's members.

I think your suggestion is to choose the ones which both share with the Artrage Flickr group but also allow others Flickr members to use as "Creative Commons and Not For Commercial use"

No our suggestion and concept is quite the opposite, as i've said, it's only the ArtRage Flikr group members who can see and use the photo's that you've submitted to the group, Unless you've personally made them available else where on the Flikr site, that part is up to you. If you don't want them hosted on the general Flikr site then just submit them to the Flikr group, no one else can see or use them then, i hope i'm making sense.

The ArtRage Photo Resource Group is a private group, only it's members can see the photo's submitted to it, not all of Flikrdom :)

pai
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Ok. maybe I can give an example and to clear what my questions are. Here is one of your photo which is already uploaded to Artrage Flickr group but I can also view it even I don't need to log into Flickr or even a Flickr member. Anyone can view and use this photo since you used "Creative Commons/non-commerical use)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentmaan/3727765755/in/set-72157621792102835/

But thanks for the explanation. I just don't see the PRIVATE use in here. Unless as you said, your set of photos which you want to share in Artrage Flickr group is set to only allow certain contacts to view. Instead, I think it's a nice idea for all Artragers sharing their photos at the same group and make use of them to create art. Thanks again. Sorry for the poor writing. :)

Silentman
11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Pai that was a photo that i had previously uploaded quite some time ago, i wanted to share it with all Flikr users, it's a public photo, i also chose to submit it for use to the group, the mystery is now over, i really don't know how else to explain it you, hopefully someone else can chip in.

It's really simple, if you only want the group to see your photo's then submit them to the group only, if you want the Flikr community to use them as well, then upload it to your account and make it public for all to use, the choice is yours, the only thing the group offers is a safe heaven for photo's that you may not want the whole Flikr community to use, you may only want the members of our private group to have access to them, it is entirely your choice.

Somehow i think language is the barrier here, not the inner workings of Flikr Group Management, i can assure you, if you only submit your photo's to the group they will not been seen by any other Flikr member except for those in our group, the Flikr community cannot see our group, it is a private group, you can only see it via invitation...

All my Photo's are accessible by the group and the Flikr community because i want it that way, i could just as easily make them private, it's all in the Flikr settings of your account.

pai
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
It's really simple, if you only want the group to see your photo's then submit them to the group only, if you want the Flikr community to use them as well, then upload it to your account ...

I don't think we can just upload directly from our hardrive to the group without uploading to the our account first then add to the group.

Sorry for the language barrier, I try to point out where's the problem is as point form as I can.

Silentman
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
My apologies Pai, it does appear you need to have them in your account 1st, so the easiest thing to do is upload them make them private and add them to the group, they won't be made public by adding them to the group :)

Give me a little time tomorrow morning to look into this fully please and i'll come back with thorough instruction on how the whole process works ok :)

I'll work on it i promise, i just want to be sure of my answers from here.

Silentman
11-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok i went and deleted my spool about changing the copyright notice on everyones pictures, this should alleviate the problem Pai as you can leave your full copyright on your pictures, this means no one but the group can use them as they will be fully copyrighted in your Flikr Account.

Once submitted to the group they will automatically fall under the groups terms, which is to use the photo's for anything but commercial !No Selling!, the main use is to make artworks using the photo's as references and posting them here on the forums giving everyone a blast seeing their photo's being used in an artistic way :D

Let me know if there's any further problems and my apologies for not being able to understand what it actually was you were originally saying, the language barrier problem was all mine :o ;) :) Both Ken and I are looking further into to this issue to see what other possibilities are available, soon we will have all the kinks worked out :)

pai
11-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Great works Silentman and Raybrite. Thanks. Still sorry for the confusion. ;):)

Raybrite
11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
No problem. I can find no reason why you would have been dropped from the group but we got you back.
I also can find no reason why the photos will not show up. They are .jpg so they should load. They are even for public view so they are not restricted.
I am not going to give up on this challenge.:):)

pai
11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Ha..ha...I was doing a testing to see if I dropped out the group and then you invited me back to see if it will work but unfortunately no. I will keep trying too. :)

Raybrite
11-20-2009, 07:30 PM
They didn't drop you?
Maybe if you quit the group and I re invited you it would work. I am here/there if you want to try that.:)

Raybrite
11-20-2009, 07:42 PM
If you do quit the group, make sure you check the box that asks if you want to remove the items you have added. Then any of those missng photos will go away.
I can send you a new invitation and you should be able to sign up and add the photos. ( I hope):):):):):)

pai
11-20-2009, 07:59 PM
My photos show no group belong to and when I quit the group, there is no checkbox for me to remove the photos in your pool.

Silentman
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome back Pai, i see your our 15th Member :D

Silentman
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Nika can you reply to this thread if you'd still like to join the group over at Flikr please, sorry it's taken me this long to get back to you, i've been extremely busy :)

Nika
12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Silent, that's OK. I still want to join the group :):):)

Silentman
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
That's great, i'll head over there now and send you an invite :)

Silentman
12-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the group Nika :D

If others are wondering what this group is all about, i'll explain it briefly.

Awhile ago we had an idea to create a Flikr ArtRage group to share photo's with each other, that idea became the ArtRage Photo Reference group, the group is private so only members of the group can see the group and it's photo's, if you would like to join and have access to some of the most excellent photo's i've seen to date, to use as references for your upcoming artworks in a private manner, then all you have to do is become a member of Flikr http://www.flickr.com/ and reply to this thread letting us know you would like to join, all ArtRage members are most welcome to join and share in the resources that are growing weekly :)

Silentman
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
annesofi61, i sent you a mail over at Flikr regarding joining the group, if you could head over there soon and reply to the mail i'll have you signed up in no time :)

Silentman
12-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Anne i've sent you an invite now :)

Members of the group if you get the time could you pop over to Flikr and reply to a thread i posted, i'd like to rap it up today if possible, thanks :)

Silentman
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the group Anne :D

kenmo
01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I have tons of car photos I've taken at the many car shows I attend during the summer. I'd be more then willing to post some to your Flickr group if there are any hot rodders or car buffs here....

Cars are my real passion....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenmojr/

Don't let the jr fool ya'.... I well into my 50's...:):):)

I also administer a Flickr group for Hot Rod & Car Art... If anyone is interested in joining pm kenmojr on Flickr...

justjean
02-20-2010, 08:28 AM
may I still join :)

justjean
02-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I just signed up , thanks for the help Rose and I'll pm Mr Raybrite now :D

justjean
02-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Rose, Raybrite just pm'd me and I went to flickr and posted on one of his photos so I hope that will help him find me I know nothing about flickr or yahoo so will just have to stumble along for awhile :D

justjean
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
thanks Ken and Rose for your efforts on my behalf and I'm in :D
thanks again

Jean

Silentman
02-23-2010, 12:33 AM
This is a note to all that would like to join the Flikr Photo site, i am no longer an administrator and will not be involved with the Artrage forum for awhile, perhaps for a long while, things have happened and i can not accept being harassed on a forum.

It doesn't matter about who or why, it only matters that it happened, i will say this though, always consider your words very carefully when responding to a post, the person on the other end may be offended and may very well be upset so much as to leave the forums.

This forum is founded on a strong principle, that is to treat others as you would be treated yourself, i pray it continues along this line, it is still very much the friendliest forum on the internet.

I have promoted Bumble wales to be a Administrator, Bumble can you please organize for someone else to do the job if you do not wish too, i am now only a member and may remove my membership as i am no longer a member of this forum which is part of the agreement of being a member on the flikr photo site.

My final words are, you cannot change the past any more than you can take back the words you have said.

To all but one of you i wish you a very very fond fair well, perhaps sometime in the future i will come back, and stay awhile, perhaps.....

Bumble
02-23-2010, 03:09 AM
So sorry to see you go Silentman:(. I am happy to be admin over on the flickr site until you come back:) Take care.

Raybrite
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Bumble, I am still an administrator on the Flickr site. Thanks for being there. I will PM you.

Raybrite
11-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I have returned for awhile. I seem to have been gone so long that I forgot how to run Flickr. I think I have it figured out now.
Ken

angelibutler
08-14-2015, 11:32 PM
I didn't get it. Which group i must join to connect my flickr and artrage photos?

magaretz
10-21-2015, 11:15 PM
My photos show no group belong to and when I quit the group, there is no checkbox for me to remove the photos in your pool.