PDA

View Full Version : Mariah Progression and Finished Piece

ENCHANTER
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Done!!!

Used ArtRAge 2.1 Free Edition and Wacom Volito (with broken nib) :)

Heres the progression............

hope you like it :)

ENCHANTER
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
and the finished piece by itself......I got a few things a bit wrong..... :(

Selby
10-06-2006, 11:49 AM
very neat enchanter...and with a broken stylus too? sheesh...some people have all the talent. love the lips...you got them so well.

Love your progression ...i imagine you doing another and it would be in a gallery as a 3x3 layout

Selby

speggie
10-06-2006, 12:00 PM
nice portrait matey ........you dont use layers either then ?....................do you know the subject of the piccie or not ?..........nice to see a work in progress through the stages ...thought about it myself but always get carried away and complete the drawing before ive realised it .....hee ......nice one

/

Stephen Lo Piano
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Broken nib on pen? Replacement parts are not cheap.
I have an Intuous 2 tablet with the transparent overlay plastic sheets.
I have worn out 2 of them already and a third needed replacement due to an accident of cutting one with glass while attempting to frame a print in a document style enclosure, glass fell right on the sheet, lucky tablet only occurred a slight nick from the accident.

Nice work.

D Akey
10-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Kowabunga!

What a beauty!

I can tell you like the subject for all the loving care you put into it.

Nice technique, Merekat.

Weeks
10-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Enchanter... She's... She's... Beautiful... and well painted...

Do you have another one ?

8)

Best,

Weeks

Roache
10-07-2006, 06:08 AM
excellent work man... lot of time spent on that..

her ear feels a bit dodgey to me.. maybe throw some more hair over it :)

other than that man... i certainly struggle doing the female portrait.. so good job. Love the black and white feel.

roache

ENCHANTER
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Selby : Thanks dudette,.......i dont think im talented, there are people on this forum who are more talented and original than I, I remember my art teacher at school saying to me......'Youre very good at copying pictures and still life.....but youre not very good at original paitnings ' ..........some of the stuff you do......well.......I wouldnt know where to start...the colours and objects you come up with....the freedom......well...its beyond me.... :D

speggie: well mate, Thanks......I lost my full version of AR2 due to crash, and while waiting for the next version , I thought I'd use the free version..henc no layers used .....but it made me think about all the strokes I had to use.........It was suppose to be Mariah Carey....but I got it a bit wrong.....shes got a rounder face..........I like to show people some of my WIPS so they know what AR can do...( and no...I dont get paid for it :D )

Stephen Lo Piano: cheers.............Ive just become a student at Uni..so a new wacom tablet has to wait for a bit..... :cry:

D Akey: thanks, I tried my best, with this beauty :wink:

Weeks: cheers....yeh ive another one....somewhere..... :D

Roache: thanks, yes I neglected the ear, the ref pic wsant that clear........I thought I'd try a monochrome potrait, to me it was easier than doing a colour one

maror
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
hey enchanter....

that's really a beauty... and i think YOU are talented...it's need also talent to compose refrence drawing to a neat image... and when you can do this is only a little step to your own picture :D so do it! :wink:

and it's always the same....draw draw draw....

greez

maror

PS: oh this good old times without layers....

D Akey
10-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Selby : Thanks dudette,.......i dont think im talented, there are people on this forum who are more talented and original than I, I remember my art teacher at school saying to me......'Youre very good at copying pictures and still life.....but youre not very good at original paitnings ' ..........some of the stuff you do......well.......I wouldnt know where to start...the colours and objects you come up with....the freedom......well...its beyond me.... :D

Either your teacher was himself uncreative and beyond hope as a teacher, or more likely your memory has edited what he said to include your whole being, like you have three heads or something and that's that.

You're an aspiring teacher. Please learn this much:

Students are potential. It's up to a good teacher to assist them in becoming who they really are. That's real creativity.

Creativity is often a projection and judgement on the part of the viewer.

Nobody whose lived on planet earth is 100 % original.

So you can forgive yourself for constraining yourself with that one and let it go.

Copying is good to learn how form and light work and how to manage your tools. So you can take that to the bank.

Here's a hint: Most people copy something, either a style, a subject matter etc. Eventually it takes on their characteristics.

And so called creative people are often combining bits and peices of this artist and that one, this cultural artifact or style or some other one. Yet to look at some of their work, it looks original because you don't see the path they took to get there.

It's not a mystery and it doesn't come from a gland.

Keep copying, and what will come will come.

I love your efforts as an artist. Give yourself a gift. You get to pick it out.

ENCHANTER, enchant thyself.

:D

ENCHANTER
10-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Cheers Maror.......thanks for popping over :D
I guess i am a bit harsh on myself sometimes.....but sometimes that is what is needed to help me move forward............

ENCHANTER
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
D Akey: what can i say to that :oops: ..................well im off to enchant myself.......and do what im best at, teaching and art :D

Selby
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Im with Maror i think learning to draw well from a refrence is a great skill...first you capture what you see in front of you and then its a little leap only to draw things you see in your mind.and to be honest thats the bit i struggle with learning i can do pretend ok but drawing real stuff is really tricky

meanwhile...I think I may have had your art teachers sister in highschool told me not to do drawing for my major work because 'you can't draw' which crushed me for some time out of trying(people like that should be banned from teaching )

till a very lovely uni lecturer told me 'everyone can draw who can somehow hold something which in some way can make a mark on something else' ...she was determined to find the talent in everyone and bring it to its fullest potential and i think she was right...we all can draw just not all the same...but where would the fun in that be :D

and i like how you draw

Selby

ENCHANTER
10-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Thankyou Selby,

Now I have to go and search inside to see what i can come up with :D

ingie01
10-11-2006, 03:47 AM

Either your teacher was himself uncreative and beyond hope as a teacher, or more likely your memory has edited what he said to include your whole being, like you have three heads or something and that's that.

You're an aspiring teacher. Please learn this much:

Students are potential. It's up to a good teacher to assist them in becoming who they really are. That's real creativity.

Creativity is often a projection and judgement on the part of the viewer.

Nobody whose lived on planet earth is 100 % original.

So you can forgive yourself for constraining yourself with that one and let it go.

Copying is good to learn how form and light work and how to manage your tools. So you can take that to the bank.

Here's a hint: Most people copy something, either a style, a subject matter etc. Eventually it takes on their characteristics.

And so called creative people are often combining bits and peices of this artist and that one, this cultural artifact or style or some other one. Yet to look at some of their work, it looks original because you don't see the path they took to get there.

It's not a mystery and it doesn't come from a gland.

Keep copying, and what will come will come.

I love your efforts as an artist. Give yourself a gift. You get to pick it out.

ENCHANTER, enchant thyself.

Thank you d akey, it caught my attention and you are so right about that.
(you probably know I spent 30 yrs. as a jr.high art teacher)

Fashmir
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Not sure why I missed this one ENCHANTER. Nice progression. Monochrome studies like this can teach sooooo much about light and shadow. Nice post.

Fashmir
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Not sure why I missed this one ENCHANTER. Nice progression. Monochrome studies like this can teach sooooo much about light and shadow. Nice post.

Fashmir
10-11-2006, 07:05 AM

ENCHANTER
10-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Fashmir thanks for dropping by......well........Thankyou....3 times :D

D Akey
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Fashmir's the Andy Worhol of ArtRage. :lol:

D Akey
10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Ingie,

I didn't know you were an art teacher. Must have been an interesting experience, espacially with that age group.

My hat's off to ya being able to combine three things in one profession: doing art, teaching art, and job security.

I remember art class was the high point of my day in high school. Didn't have a junior high level in my curriculum. K-8 then 9-12.

Would have been nice if the teacher taught us something -- anything at all. I think his job consisted of locking and unlocking the supply cabinet. For me, it was playtime. But I really got into art at that time. Let's say, he didn't screw me up regarding art, which is quite an accomplishment.