PDA

View Full Version : West African Black Rhino WIP

Fashmir
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi people,

I have missed you all since I haven't had as much time to be among you as I'd like. I started this back in July after learning of the presumed extinction of this species of Rhino. It depressed me for a couple of weeks and I finally decided to sort it out by painting. I'll try to get some momentum going on this image so I can upload regular updates.

florida girl
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi Fashmir,
A very nice tribute to the Rhino's dignity & life.
I believe I saw that documentary too. Wasn't it was the horn of the Rhino that poachers use that is valued by some as medicinal. High price to pay. Isn't there some type of program being set up, to protect & relocate, and restore the herds?
""On a more positive note, Black rhino numbers have increased to 3,725, up 3.2% over the last 2 years from an all time nadir of 2,410 in 1995. The major conservation triumph continues for the Southern White rhino. from less than 50 animals a century ago, to 14,540 now."" http://www.wildlifeextra.com/news-blackrhino.html (References)

Kind Regards,
FG

ENCHANTER
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
i think you should go to the doctor Fashmir

Theres something developing on your nose! :wink: :D

ENCHANTER
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
doh!

and heres my comment about the rhino,
wonderful brilliant superb

as usual, youre one of those people who i know will deliver a wonderful painting, all i have to do is sit back and enjoy the progression!

I love the light in this one :D

Fashmir
10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
florida girl- Thanks. I didn't actually see a documentary, I didn't even know they had done one. I would very much like to see it. I got the report from a friend and followed up with online research. I've been tracking the populations of endangered species on and off for years. It's so frustrating. I can understand people killing for sustainence and to provide for their families, but to take an endangered species of animal to extinction for avarice or status is unthinkable. It is not unlike the kind of massacre that white hunters commited upon the American Bison in the 19th century bringing a population of animals that once covered multiple states down to a few small herds. There has got to be a solution that provides an alternative motivation for those who become poachers out of need or greed. Whew I got a little long winded. Thanks for reading.

ENCHANTER- Yeah, :lol: it seems to have a life of it's own.

hanzz
10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Boy the light effect on that rhino...This prooves to get one masterpiece.

Really saddening indeed, to learn about this.What are we doing to this planet ?
:cry:

Q: What do you do to paint the background,and those trees like that ?

Fashmir
10-01-2006, 11:01 PM
ENCHANTER- :D Thanks for coming back to comment on the painting. I hope I can live up to what you expect. :wink:

Hanzz- Thanks for the encouragement.

It is sad what we humans have done to this planet. It seems we have forgotten the our responsibilities as stewards of this world. :cry:

The background and trees is just oil brush applied with a fair amount of thinners in a dabbing movement with a slight curved inflection. I did some dry brushing in there too. It's actually a bit of a mess as you can see in the actual size close ups below. :)

Selby
10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
lovely Fashmir-im with Enchanter i love the light and your pallet is tremendous I love the golds and the blues...its like the rhino is a jewell in a crown..which of course it is if you see it that way.

Selby

ENCHANTER
10-02-2006, 01:41 AM
extinction........i went to a safari park about one hour drive away from my home, last saturday, it takes about 4-5 hrs to walk around, but i prefer this to the city zoo in london......most of the animals seem happier there than in the city zoo........i came to the conclusion unless people realise that animals and plants were here first, and I understand that people need to live, and we need to keep a balance to ensure that nature can co exist, in a few years time, we will all be going to zoos and the like, to see them, and not all animals do well/breed in captivity........so we need to leave the land that they already occupy, and conserve,
unfortunately, im a pessimist on this issue, and i dont have hope that people will realise in time............so please world......prove me wrong!

sorry fashmir.went on a bit.... :oops:

waheednasir
10-02-2006, 02:07 AM
now thats an impressive piece fashmir...:). just wonderul...and thats what i call a gift for every viewer...:). the handling of the tree at the background (bigger one), is what i really like as well.
going on really fine...im following it...:).

speggie
10-02-2006, 02:55 AM
you wont need a thick skin like your subject fashmir haa -- the rhino is excellent mate ......... looking forward to the finished piece .....

Weeks
10-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Oh my God Fashmir... What a marvelous painting, so fresh, so naturalist, so humanist..

Waourfff... ! You are the king of that african dream..

And i 'm wainting to see the complete scene.. So, don't sleep, don't eat.. Just finish that fantastic painting.. :shock:

Best,

Weeks

friendly
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
you really did capture the true life look. great works

Rkngel
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Your tribute will keep the species alive for us in your painting. If the people that helped to bring the rhino to extinction could see this I would hope they felt some remorse.
Empathy for others is your best technique my friend :)

maror
10-02-2006, 07:32 PM
:D ahhh another stunning piece from you! the light is wonderful! How big ist this picture.... look like a huge file :)

greez

CÚdric Trojani
10-06-2006, 10:35 PM
as usual, a great WIP. I hope our children will do more good things for the planet, will be more cool with animals.

Fashmir
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Selby- Thanks. I am enjoying working on this one in spite of my grief over the fate of the WA Black Rhino. I'm glad you like the colors.

ENCHANTER- I'm right there with you. Normally I tend toward optimism, but history has shown us too many examples of the tendency of human kind to think selfishly and short sightedly.

Waheednasir- Thank you for honoring me with your comments. And thanks for being specific about what you like. I have enjoyed the relaxed appearance of your work so much, it has inspired me to *try* not to paint every leaf individually. I tend to obsess over details too much at times. I hope to mature my art by placing my obsession for details only where they count the most.

speggie- Thanks. I hope I get time to finish this before the autumn holidays take over the rest of my year. :wink:

Weeks- Oh thank you! I wish I had enough energy to not need sleep and food. I really do love to just sit and paint for hours on end. I just have so many demands on my time. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

friendly- Thanks. I hope one day to travel to Africa myself and photograph as much as I can point a lense at. :)

Rkngel- Thank you for visiting and commenting on this picture. I don't imagine the people who kill these animals would be moved by a picture like this unless it first solved the challenges in themselves that lead them to become poachers. I don't think of these people as enemies because I have not walked in their shoes.

Thanks, empathy is good, but it can also weaken resolve and conviction if it is not tempered by reason and a thirst for the whole truth.

maror- Thanks for the kind enthusiasm. I do love to paint light. It is a fairly large image (not as large as I would prefer mind) at 3500 X 2400.

CÚdric- Thanks. I hope there is something left for our children to be getting on with.

Here is an update from last night. Here I am working out some ideas about the foreground to strengthen the composition and add interest.

Selby
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
ooh nice progression Fashmir...i love the sense of movement from the bird about to land on his back and the branch in the foreground does seem to bring us closer into the scene :D -delicious afternoon tea viewing

Selby

waheednasir
10-14-2006, 09:05 PM
good going mate...this is going to be good im sure...:).
all the best Fashmir.

ENCHANTER
10-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I think this is your best yet! :)

I love the subtle colourign you got on the rhino, and the subtle shadows you got on the ground in front,

yes, my fav of your pics so far!

:D

Fashmir
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I finally resurrected this one and finished it. It fell by the wayside for quite a long time. I hope you enjoy how this came out.

Lima
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
A marvel... very beautiful:)

Sketchism71
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Absolutely stunning Fashmir! The light is incredible!:eek:

radar
06-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Superb. Really like the lighting and especially the rhino skin. Great gradations of tone.

Fashmir
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
orianelima- Thanks for your kind words.

Sketchism71- Thanks so much. I enjoy painting light effects and playing with color pallets.

radar- Thank you. This tool we've discovered in ArtRage has made computer art a whole new ball game for me for the last few years. I am still addicted to it. :)

coops
06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Absolutely wonderful Fashmir, everything about it is great and it is just full of atmosphere.