PDA

View Full Version : Hats of the earth, project.

heikki
04-15-2006, 06:40 AM
:)

Hei.

Nice idea this art-project forum.

I draw this winter hat. We use this kind of hat mainly winter, cold temperature air conditions. It is made by hand and material is woolfilament (if i translate word right). We called this type of hat many names like, pipa, pipo, villamyssy, villapipo.

I think that round of world is many thousand type of hat. What is yours hat or what type hat you use or like that is most useful or common at your country?

Or, what type hat is best art-maker hat?

Best Regard. Heikki.

Fashmir
04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Here's a hat from where I live. That is of course my imagination. Every time I feel like putting it on that furry little bugger goes hopping off with it. :)

bleepnik
04-16-2006, 02:41 AM
*giggle* Those furry feet look like they belong to a Maurice Sendak critter. =]

Thanks for letting us visit your "home" on occasion!

- Gita

Fashmir
04-16-2006, 04:30 AM
G- You and the rest of the ArtRagers are always welcome. :)

Fashmir
04-19-2006, 08:07 AM
What's up? Nobody likes our hats!?! C'mon people paint a hat! Hats are cool! 8)

bleepnik
04-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Very cool. Thanks, Sweedie. This thread is great, it's a lesson not only in beautiful art but also culture and history. (In some cases it's the culture and history of "imagi-Nation," but no less relevant because of it!) =]

- Gita

AndyRage
04-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow - very cool hats!
Sweedie and Fashmir I'm always astounded at the work and detail your pictures contain.

Harmony
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes I like these hats. You guys are sooooooo talented.

Harmony

Aged P
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Traditional hat of the Eskiglows.

AndyRage
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Wow, funky! And very very fuzzy!
Really neat technique, AgedP!

Harmony
04-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Eskiglows.-what a fitting name for that beaming hat. You have done it well.

heikki
05-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Hei.

New hat on hat-art project.

This hat is old original woman Saame-hat from Lappland.

Hat make me paint something nice in-under it.

AndyRage
05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
That's a really interesting piece, Heikki. The composition is interesting, and the content is very thought-provoking. Coolness!

Selby
05-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi All, this is my first ArtRage picture.

Thanks Heikki for a great Art project idea.

My hat is a 'Facinator' they're big news come racing season in Australia,and many Ladies wear one instead of a tradtional 'hat' as such-theyre not great to protect you from anything like the sun or wind but come 'Ladies Day' at the begining of the horse racing calander and 'The Melbourne Cup' they're everywhere, as the Ladies compete to be noticed, and win some of the 'Fashion on the Feild' competitions that get run.

This particular Facinator is not based on a particular real one, but on some of the ideas I've seen before .

Fashmir
05-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Selby that's delightful. You make it sound like such fun to go to an event like that too. Thanks for posting this.

bleepnik
05-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Hey, great! That's lovely. Thanks for adding to this thread, Selby, I love seeing new posts here.

- Gita

ENCHANTER
05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
i love the way the feather curls naturally, gracefully, nice one selby! :)

Selby
05-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Fashmir-thanks :) I've not actually been to the Melbourne Cup myself-its rather far from where I live, I'm up in New South Wales a little bit above Sydney on the map, and its all the way down in Melbourne in Victoria-but it is really heavily televised here, and all the events surrounding it, and many places like companies and schools and restauraunts and such, have special Lunches on Cup day which I've been to and they are a bunch of fun and do have their own hat competitions etc

Down here its known as 'the race which stops a Nation' and it really is. Most folks tune in for at least the 3mins or so of the race,everything stops,businesses stop, school stops, and the whole country seems to be holding its breath till the first horse crosses the line.

Gita-thanks *blush*:oops: its been great to have your warm welcome here.

Enchanter-thanks-the feather was the bit I was most happy with.I really wanted the main bit of the Facinator to stand out from the background and look a bit more round..which they are cause they sit on yer head...y'now heads beeing rounded and all and not flat as my pic suggests :( but with a bit more practice it'll happen.

Part of the struggle was working on just the one layer,which due to bad practice and a bit of 'used to photoshop' lazyness I'm not used to at all-kept painting over my hat when i tried to add shadow under to make it pop out more

Im really looking forward to getting the full version in a few weeks time when I'll have loads of layer fun...and the glitter tool,I'm busting to play with the glitter tool :)

heikki
06-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks Selby.

New hat and something life-situation under it.

I try to make moon-hat but it looks like slice or something else. Anypath, image-hat still.

Selby
06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
heikki- I love your moon hat-its so soft and gentle :)

Deni
06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Well..a hat...a cap :wink: no comments about the background... :oops:

heikki
06-13-2006, 05:36 PM

MoHei Deni.

Clear colors that red peaked cap.

I dont make comments that backround because your drawing is your paintings. Hmm. Comments can devide three main gategoryes, good, normal, bad. and then more gategoryes like, feelings, issue, colors, mind, etc. Of cource school numbers too. And never can actually know how draw tomorrow and what draw after that.

I draw new hat and it is also same kind, but different colors.

I use this my hat mainly autumn, spring and warm winter. Then when i fish or hunt or take photos or just walk and travelling nature unknown paths like reindeers.

Please.
More hat can draw artrage-frends. Use free imagination and mind and artrage2 program possibilityes.

Quality and accurace of drawing is not so important. Colors, feelings and imagination is and still keep some kind of use-issue. Maybe some real hat-makers start to make these hats and we see at street our draw-hat to going real world.

br.Heikki.

Deni
06-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Well I just meant, that I wasn's very happy for my background =P But thanks for replying! I like your version of the hat, especially the "inside" of it!

tinggy
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
omg, these hats are wonderful!!! 8)

Deni
06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Sweedie! That helmet is wonderfull!!! :o I love the "scratchy" effect on the side!

gberdan
06-30-2006, 02:52 PM
This is actually a portrait of my hat I wear every day. (Sorry its so small, I painted this on a 80x80 for use as an avatar on the forums)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/Soldan/myhat.jpg

It is a cheap old cowboy hat that I bought for about $20. My uncle and my best friend hate it and they put a $100 bounty on it. Talk about a good investment. :D

When people who know me see me with out it they always say "Where's your hat at?".

Selby
07-01-2006, 10:04 AM
wow Sweedie great stuff -love your Vendel helmet and the Saftey hat...you have such a great way of capturing everyday objects and making them alive with feeling

Selby

heikki
07-07-2006, 06:54 AM

Few hat has come more, thanks all.

I think that this earth-ball has many more hat-style.

Hei artrage-frends, use your skills, art-mind.

Draw a hat. New hat, old hat, your hat, imagine hat, funny hat, future hat, or, hmm, why not draw artrage2-hat, or hmm. maybe santa need a new hat?

Please, join this hats-project art-rage frends, round of world. Quality is not a main thing at this gallery-project, free imagination is.

Finland is now quite hot so i dont need hat today. (+25-28 and summer)

Selby
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
this is a whimsical remembering of an 'easterbonnet' hat from an easter hat parade at school when i was very little maybe only 6. Everyone decorated a hat and wore it around in a parade while the teachers and parents admired and there was usually a prize for best hat but the competitions were a bit rigged-every child usually got at least a lolly or something..best creativity, most colourful.......lots of fun anyhow. i had foil covered chocolate eggs and fluffy chicken models on this particular one

Selby

Aged P
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Selby,

What a memory jogger!

I have a photo of my daughter and granddaughter arriving for an easter visit in hats like that about 10 years ago. They would kill me if I posted the pic!

That voille scarf around the crown came out very well, floaty and transparent.

Fashmir
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Selby- That's a sweet hat. Complete with color, ribbons and smooching chickens.

heikki
10-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Finally i made this my thought ready. Artrage hat pixpaint.

Because this program is so good it need ar2 hat. This is one image of ar2-hat.

This hat-style is not so common here in north, mainly summertime hikers and flyfishers use this kind style hat. I have one this kind style hat when i fish, without ar2-ornament :D

Hmm. This artrage2 program is perhaps quite usefull also to design new cloths, i think.

Hope this hat fit all artrage-pixpainters head all over this earth-ball. :D

More hats can draw at this thread......

Selby
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
nice one heikki :D an artistical hat for artists

Selby

delog
10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Ottomans used this hat. we say fes but in english fez.

Aged P
10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Delog,

Beautifully shaded/blended felt Fez.

Are they still popular?

Phil

Selby
10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
good job on the fez,its really convincingly round looking and it looks really vivid against the green background too :)

Selby

delog
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
thank you Selby and Aged P. Fez is not popular yet, but touristes love this hat. It is nostalgic and characteristic of old turkish people...

speggie
10-27-2006, 11:02 PM
bet the fez was drawn "just like that ".....................uk refrence to the late great tommy cooper .............the best and worse magician in the world ..... :lol: :lol:

elilililisa
10-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi guys! I've been a member of this forum for a while now, and I frequently stop by to visit, even though it hasn't been long enough a visit for me to actually participate.

Sadly, though, I haven't been able to use ArtRage at all since I got it (I was referred by my cousin, who is totally in love with it), but I decided to join the forums anyway... that way, when this semester is finally over, I can start playing with AR and ask you for advice.

Just as a quick introduction, I'm a 22-year-old dominican girl studying to be a graphic designer...... meaning, I have absolutely no background when it comes to drawing/painting, etc.... only the minimum required to pass certain classes.... however, I'd like to learn... and since one of my real-life problems is mixing the color exactly as I want it, a digital painting tool -to me- is WONDERFUL!!

Anyway.... this project is very interesting.. and it's a good way to learn more about other countries (or, well..... their hats). So I decided to draw up one of our most famous hats... according to tourists, since they all leave the country with this hat.... it's made of plantain leaves... I don't know if you can tell, but they weave the single strands together to come up with it... nifty, huh?

Pardon the long post.... but who knows when I'll have time to sit down and write to you guys again... :(

PD: Not to make this any longer, but I did it with the mouse... I want to invest in a good tablet, but goot doesn't usually mean "cheap"... :P

heikki
10-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi, Delog. Thanks your hat painting and story of that hat history. :D

Hi, elililisa... hmm. is it your first name or....this internet world is so earthball wide that actually cannot known is name, name or a nickname or username.... :wink:

Thanks your nice hat. I have use this artrage since march and mainly i have use mouse without artistic backround so much. I buy that wacom small one pen-tablet and i use it, but it is not so good. Better one is on my shopping list,,,,like many other things also...money dont grow on the tree... :?

Keep your pixpaintings colors fresh and wild. :D

( I have name these computer painting to pixpainting comes words pixell-painting.)

elilililisa
10-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Hey heikki.... my name is Elisa.. I just decided to repeat the "li" for, err, no real purpose at all.... :wink:

I will invest in a good tablet.. probably around christmas... but I need to buy so many other things that I don't really know if it'll be this christmas or next year's.... I'll get one someday!

josephc4
10-30-2006, 12:52 PM
This is a rough version of the hardhat that I used to wear when i was working in construction.

heikki
11-01-2006, 05:27 AM

Thanks joseph.

I use same kind when i was a contruction works, only color was different, it was blue. I was a electrician and here Finland those safety helmet colors are, yellow, blue, red, white, hmm,,, any others dont remember now...perhaps.

Heikki.

Selby
11-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Earlier i painted a fascinator.....Well today is Melbourne cup day here so in honour of day.

A new hat....the fashion this year seems to be inbetween a fascinator and a hat.. a large confection involving lots of raffia that sits on the side of the head and with loads of flowers under the brim.

Selby

Fashmir
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Nice Selby. Love love the colors. :)

speggie
11-07-2006, 08:37 PM
nice hat collection here ...........love the hard hat and selbys race day hat would look good at ascot also 8)

Selby
11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
thanks Fashmir and Speggie :D

Selby

hinket
11-08-2006, 06:53 PM
[
Like your hat, Selby and your painting.
These hats are no longer used at the Post Office, but old ones are still sometimes given to part-timers.
Tried tracing for the first time in ArtRage ( surprisingly difficult) and took a stab at using (not always successfully) layers. And spent way too much time with finicky details!

Hat sat by the monitor on a glass shelf in front of window.

heikki
11-09-2006, 01:16 AM

Fine hat selby. Do you have problem with water in autralian...i read news...hmm you must order snow in Finland. :D

Fine pixpainting hinket. It take time to paint quality hat.

I have under workprocess one wood-hat what i see on local country-market....hope that i get it ready some day. Sometimes feels that this world is so many things to paint that dont know what direction to focus. :?

Forever prhases...or how it must says in Egnlish.

"
Hat is hat,
hat has history,
hat has future
and under hat,
is always wild cat".
"

Peter Pinckney
11-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Here's mine from North America

Rkngel
11-09-2006, 09:37 AM
A typical felt jester hat you would see at Mardi Gras...

D Akey
11-09-2006, 09:46 AM
For a second there I thought we had gotten into the wardrobe van for the Village People, heh.

Neat images.

maror
11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
:D wonderful variation in here....

@selby this is great, do you some mode design or so...i think your style would fit very great in these business...

@Rkngel

remember of my old winter hat! it sound always as follow on a snow bob: jingle jingle jingle....ahhhhh bammmm ....... jin jin jin..... :lol:

greez

Selby
11-10-2006, 09:48 AM
wow some great hats guys :D

Hin-yours looks like a a usefull and well worn one

Peter-a good n fluffy look you got on the feathers

Rkngel-hehe a good jester hat is always a good idea...someone wore one to my year ten formal in highschool..it made us all laugh

thanks Maror :D

Selby

heikki
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks Peter and rkngel to join this hat-project.

I finish my woodhat painting. I see this woodhat on the marketplace last summer.

It is made birch-tree.

My thought is that earth-ball has thousands different hat-style so......more hat can paint at this thread....welcome to draw and send hat-pixpaintings.

Selby
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
like your tree hat heikki :) would be great help protecting your head if it hailed

Selby

whoops!
02-15-2007, 01:29 AM
"When I was young" said my Grandma, " we were too poor to buy hats, we had to make do with whatever came to hand"

so straight away I went out and...

speggie
02-15-2007, 06:05 AM
whoops!
hee hee great hat and a great piccie laughed alot when i first saw it nice work

D Akey
02-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Hahaha. Looks like a Rat Fink in the making.

whoops!
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks
still getting used to the package
I'm impressed so far & love the work on here

pai
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
:lol: Whoops, I really like your "bad hat" :lol:

Nika
05-10-2007, 09:30 AM
This is a typical Russian fur hat. There was time when only foreigners bought such hats, mostly as souvenirs. But the hats have been in fashion for a few seasons again

Selby
07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
good n cozy one...just the thing for me...was a top of 12deg C here today and shall be more like 2-4 tonight

Selby

alildevil
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Hers one I haven't seen in this post yet... sorry for the size...

heikki
08-16-2007, 05:21 AM

Few new hats was come of hat-gallery, thanks all.

I uptade artrage-hat version 2.5. :D

Welcome to pixpaint a hat and show it at here.

heikki
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM

New hat,,,,,fractalhat,,,on the non-fractal man head :D

Thanks net-name ÄlveKatt that your fractal address,,,nice tool that program.

pai
08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Cute hat. :D

Selby
08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
hehe nice one Heikki...the man looks like he is dressing up as a coral for a parade with the fractal on his head :D

D Akey
08-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I think I saw this guy in Finland dancing up a snowstorm.

alain boisvert
08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Here is my sketch.

Selby
08-22-2007, 12:42 AM
thats a fun hat :D ..no one would crowd you in a que in that one for fear youd peck them :wink:

D Akey
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Looks like a mascot head for a farm league baseball team.

Very fun. :lol:

alain boisvert
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
...no one would crowd you in a que in that one for fear youd peck them.
Or at least they would not stand in front of me :wink:

Looks like a mascot head for a farm league baseball team.
Everyone watching could put one on and schrill together.

Nice to read your comments.

Lee
08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
she layed it on the gossip bench and it was the last thing she put on before going out the door to Midnight Mass, a black velvet beauty with red satin lining, a bow in front and tabs near the temples to hold it tight, perfect.

Lee
08-23-2007, 04:31 AM
,,,the threat of eternal damnation was resolved by wearing the most glorious hats to Church every Sunday, Easter 1950 featured the best ever, a crisp shiny navy straw, soft green silk leaves, clay-like bright red cherries spilling over, oh joy!!!

Selby
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Lovely ones Lee...and I like how your weaving a story for us to go with the beautiful hats as well :D ...the blue one for todays outing i think :)

D Akey
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Hahah. I just got it. . .

The 'pillbox' hat looks like it's for Alice, when she's 10 foot tall, and a couple or three decades past her Victorian, Lewis Carrol phase.

Actually I'm not up on pillbox hats. Weren't they the rage in the 20s and 30s?

Could be way off on that.

Cool image. Has a surrealistic, pillowy feel.

And the second metallic one (?) is great as well. Nice form. It's got an interesting surface. I just thought of metal, but on second look, there was a crafts thing I recall where you put down glue and little colored rocks, a bit bigger than sand. And this is a little reminiscent of that look. Not exactly.

Yet it doesn't feel quite like paint. more dimensional surface. I really like it.

Lee
08-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Dear Selby, Thank youvery much, i like the English ladies hats too, lots of fun and a great tradition,,,,,,,,

Dear D Akey, :lol: , Thank you too,,,the late 50's and early 60's, a Jacquie Kennedy signature, style ,,, sorry about the texture on the navy blue one, wasn't what i wanted but sort of liked it so left it alone, haven't mastered smoothing things out yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Selby
08-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Dear Selby, Thank youvery much, i like the English ladies hats too, lots of fun and a great tradition,,,,,,,,

yes we shall have to get some calling cards and go out visiting in the carriage :wink: :)

pai
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi Lee,

Lovely hat creations with those textures and the background of the first one. :)

Lee
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Dear Pai, Thank You Very Much, thanks to Heikki, this is a fun topic and brings up memories,,,,,,,

ginem_ginem
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
all hail the coveted butt-hat...

for the anal detailing in art, which I never have energy for...

screenpainter
08-25-2007, 09:57 AM
all the rage in Paris this year...

screenpainter
08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
the legend... Stetson...

D Akey
08-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Super painting of a Stetson. Nice shape to it.

Old times, the good guy hat.

Modern day, I can smell the cigars and the petroleum fields. Saw a lot of them in Texas.

pai
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
That's very well painted hat, GZ. :D Right away I'm thinking Clint Eastwood.

Selby
08-25-2007, 07:57 PM
hehe froggy made me smile and the stetson makes me want to start talking like the 'Duke'...good stuff GZ :D

screenpainter
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
thanks D Akey, pai, and Selby... glad you liked. This has been a fun thread.

alain boisvert
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I want a real hat of every drawing !

Thanks to all.

Selby
11-02-2007, 10:27 AM
ok ladies and gents its that time of year again its spring (horse) racing carnival here in Melbourne and the biggest race of all the racing calender 'The Melbourne Cup', is on on tuesday afternoon so its time to dust off your top hats and get those fascinators and sun hats happening because you need to look your best for the big day (because as we all know the horses are really a sideline to the pretty ladies and daper gents ) ...im working on my 'hat' now (soon to be seen here) and i encourage you all to make a silly, beautiful, fashionable,or fanciful concoction somewhat resembling a hat for the occasion :)

cheers
Selby

Selby
11-03-2007, 02:02 PM
ok heres my hat for this years cup :D

screenpainter
11-03-2007, 02:11 PM
T'will be all the rage at the Melbourne cup. God, I wish we were just starting Spring here. 'Tis a beautiful hat Selby!

pai
11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Selby, that's a refreshing style. Nice one. :)

Selby
11-03-2007, 03:12 PM
thanks gzairbourne :D glad you like

thanks Pai :D was feeling a bit rusty as i havent drawn much lately so it was good to get some practice in

Selby

DMerchen
11-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey, they have this hats as the topic over at IllustrationFriday.com this week. There are some pretty nice looking hats here. Thought somebody might be interested at looking at their hats over there, or even contributing their own.

Cool thread!

ailime
11-07-2007, 06:36 AM
i remember when I was in grade school - one of our teachers made us do a hat and she organized a whole contest where we would parade around the school wearing our creation, being judged and receiving a nice present :D

all that to say : I loooove your hats ;) and it,s a really interesting project :d

Selby
11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey, they have this hats as the topic over at IllustrationFriday.com this week. There are some pretty nice looking hats here. Thought somebody might be interested at looking at their hats over there, or even contributing their own.

Cool thread!hehe i noticed that too :D nice timing with me just having drawn a new hat

Selby

screenpainter
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Cool link to Illustration Friday. Lots of cool stuff out there. It sure makes you appreciate how easy we can view images here and discuss.
The links to the illustrations were very slow loading for me.
It really shows hows how amazing this forum is to work so effortlessly and quickly to show the art work.
:D

Aged P
11-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Selby,

Hope you're happy in Melbourne.

People who draw a face without a model often draw themselves, it's quite like your photo. Do you think it's you?

Phil

Selby
11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi Selby,

Hope you're happy in Melbourne.

People who draw a face without a model often draw themselves, it's quite like your photo. Do you think it's you?

PhilHi Aged P :D great to see you back around.slowly settling into melb. Yes she is very like me...but then i was imagining wearing my hat for cup day as i drew. hehe shes a bit of a glamorised version though rather more refined and coiffed than i usually look but then again if id actually gone to the races(rather than watching it on tv while in a cafe) i probly would have dolled up to the nines too:D

Selby

heikki
08-22-2010, 05:34 PM

New hat painting...

This come from Lappland,,,

Finnish name
- neljän tuulen lakki
- four wind hat or something at English

Saame-radio,,,hmm,,language is not so popular,,:)

http://yle.fi/sapmi/sami_radio/

Joiku,song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6I0Byg83M&feature=related

pat1940
08-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Did not know about this project, but Jasmine mentioned that I should put this painting in here so hope you like it

Alexandra
08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Pat inspired me with her lovely painting to try my hand at a hat too. Cool thread.:)

screenpainter
08-25-2010, 02:26 PM
That's a very cool art style on that one Sandy! Great to see this thread active again. A blast from the past. :)

Jasminek
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Pat and Alexandra, these hats are lovely. I use hats a lot, but would love to wear one of these hats you ladies painted, but I am afraid that the neigborhood dogs might hunt me down!:eek:

Well painted and very nice styles.:)

Alexandra
08-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks so much Albert and Jasmine.:)

Yes this is so cool Albert. I think we should go over the old threads once in a while.:)

That is funny Jasmine! I believe you are right with all the rooster and fox tails!:D

MJSparks
08-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Lots of neat hats.

Here's one more! No references, just stuff from my head.

Jasminek
08-28-2010, 11:39 PM
The background and the cards made this hat stand out, well done.:)

pat1940
08-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Sandra and Jasmine thankyou for the nice compliment, Jasmine thanks for telling me about this forum and Sandra thankyou so much for being inspired by my painting, such a nice thing to say:):):)

pat1940
08-29-2010, 07:29 AM
These are all such beautiful hats, love them all:):):)

MJSparks
08-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Thank you! It was a fun little 20 minute doodle painting.

I like the hats in here too. They're all excellent.

Jasminek
08-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Hello,

My second attempt on a portrait. I found a picture of this baby in the internet, a hill tribe indigenous to Asia, Hmong Tribe. I chose to paint the child simply because of the expression. Ones can find this tribe anywhere from China down to SE Asia. In Thailand, they live in mountains and I have a soft touch for this tribe due to my father’s experience. He was a patrol policeman, on patrol most of his time in far-away mountains at the border of Thailand and Burma. When he came home, he would tell me of his experience, one I remembered so well was about the hill tribe people. He said they were very generous, would feed him and his troop the best thing they had every time he stopped by. Even the food was not what he was used to, he would try to eat so not to offend; one of the food was tad poles mixed with pepper and grilled inside bananas leaves.

This people finally got the Thai citizenship less than 10 years ago with the help of the King and Queen of Thailand who said “People who love the country are better for protection around the border than soldiers. These people deserve the citizenship.” If my father was alive, he would be very happy.

These people are better off now, thanks to the King’s mother and the King himself who taught them how to grow other plants than opium.

This tribe was the most important one who helped the Americans during Vietnam War and many of them moved to the USA. They are not doing as well as other immigrants such as Vietnamese immigrations due to lacking education and traditional family values are so strong that it is difficult to assimilate.

Sticker sprays were use for the coins and beads, a Photoshop brush was use for the blouse pattern, thanks to all people who created them.

Any comments and advice is always appreciated.

JasmineK

drawnaway
09-07-2010, 07:59 AM
This is a caricature of me as a child. (I'm making the 'caricature' point clear because I wasn't exactly gorgeous as a kid but neither did I look quite this strange.) I remember this photo of my brothers & sisters & I sitting on the back porch steps one Sunday. I had this hat on that I had to wear to church. I hated the hat because it stayed on with a thin elastic strap that went under my chin... very annoying... and if it accidentally slipped from your fingers, that strap would SNAP (Ouch!!) against your skin. (weird, but it feels like I still have issues about it or something..) Oh yeah, I'm smiling because it's Easter!

coops
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Been looking at this thread and it seems such fun I just had to have a go. Went for a walk down in Gloop Wood and came across this little hat house. Hope you like it:):):)

Jasminek
09-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Real pretty Coops.:)

Alexandra
09-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Those are wonderful Magen, Jasmine, Drawnaway, and Katie.:):):):):)

Caesar
09-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Here in Italy we obviously have plenty of either folkloristic, ancient or elegant hat types (such as the legendary Borsalino or the Paglietta, vaguely similar, but older than to the most famous Ecuadorian Panam hats).
Anyway I would start here with this: a coppola!

Alexandra
09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Awesome Cesare, a wonderful portrait and caricature of a fantastic personality and artist Rick. Totally love this!!!!

Caesar
09-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Thank You, dear Sandra!
A quickly sketched addition: here's a traditional Sardinian masculine costume with the typical hat ....
I also made this gentleman to look like one of the possible typical Sardinian man as features. I'm not sure I provided him with a fierce enough glance.

Caesar
09-09-2010, 02:09 AM
A Venitian gondolier hat in few minutes ...

Alexandra
09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Excellent Cesare, excellent!

Caesar
09-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Here's the traditional hat of the little town of Scanno, placed near the omonymous lake, in Abruzzo, my region, east of Rome, Italy.
In that place there's also, inter alia, a great and ancient jewelry and lace craftsmanship. It's in marvellous nature of the Central Appennines mountain area where the highest peak tops to almost 3.000 m.

Alexandra
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I thought this was so well done and so beautiful Cesare.

screenpainter
09-25-2010, 05:26 PM
breathtaking beauty!!! what a painting!

coops
09-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Stunning painting Cesare, from the wistful look on her face right down to her beautiful detailed clothes. Beautiful work:)

Martha Weatherall
09-26-2010, 05:34 AM
I did a whole series of hat paintings, but rather than being an ethnic- generated one, this is just a contemporary hat. Ladies used to never go out without a hat and gloves. That was a strict rule in my (finishing school ?) college. For some strange reason, I have become a hat-type person even though hardly anyone wears hats now, unless you are going to the Kentucky Derby. This hat and lady would fit in well there.

Jasminek
09-26-2010, 06:06 AM
This hat can be worn and it brings a nice look to a lady.

I am with you about hats, I still do wear hats, especially out in the sun and I wear it indoors when I shop too, could be one of my thing for the sun can burn my skin pretty fast.

So glad for your contribution.:)