PDA

View Full Version : constructive crits, helpful tips?

hanhepi
09-11-2009, 06:28 AM
ok, not responsible for the outline, it was a coloring page i found through here (it's from the national geographic website i think)i was more using this as a good way to learn the tools available on artrage. one of my first experiments with layers (oh, layers are great! i love them. :D) i think i went a little overboard with them (there are 13 layers. if anything needs to be tweaked, it should be fairly easy.)

all in all, i think it came out ok. especially since i have no tablet. (that's all done with a mouse, yes.) but it needs something. help?

weeun
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I see nothing wrong with this.
Beautiful colouring.
I can't do anything but click with a mouse! I'm hopeless. You, however, you can obviously handle a mouse well. :p

RobertSWade
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
First of all, welcome to here Hanhepi. :)
My only suggestion would be to darken the area under the foreground horse to show some shadow effect. Other than that I'd only advise you to have fun with ArtRage and keep exploring the tools. This is a thoroughly delightful image.
:)

hanhepi
09-12-2009, 02:11 AM
more shadows, got ya. yeah, that would help ground the image a little more. thank you :)

and to weeun: i had lots of years trying to make artwork in MS Paint.... you learn to do lots with a mouse in that program. lol. oddly, i'm better with a mose than i am with a pencil, but i think that has more to do with the "undo" buttons on the computer. tablets are just so expensive! i do really want one though.

StephenFoster
09-12-2009, 02:19 AM
more shadows, got ya. yeah, that would help ground the image a little more. thank you :)

and to weeun: i had lots of years trying to make artwork in MS Paint.... you learn to do lots with a mouse in that program. lol. oddly, i'm better with a mose than i am with a pencil, but i think that has more to do with the "undo" buttons on the computer. tablets are just so expensive! i do really want one though.

Hey welcome hanhepi, I like the image and when you used to do all you art in paint.. this isnt you is it ;) ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

hanhepi
02-20-2010, 08:30 AM
hahaha, no that one's not me. i'm not that good lol! (sorry for the late answer by the way.)

terrygillooly
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I like how your experiment turned out. :) It's amazing you were able to do all that with a mouse!
To me, the (front) horse's head doesn't stand out as well as it might. The white shape of the body is terrific--it really pushes forward against the green background--but the head gets kind of lost because it is a similar brown to that mountain range on the right.
It may help to add some purple or gray-blues to the mountains to make them recede, or to stroke some light on the head to pop it out.

arenhaus
02-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes, the "something" it needs is aerial perspective. You have got the mountains the same color as the foreground, essentially. The distance should make them look hazier and bluer than this.

Jules
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
nice composition you chose anyway... needs more highlights shadows, shading and detail. :) Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

barnburner
02-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!
I echo Robert's words - experiment with the tools, and discover the many different uses each of them have.
As far as adding something to the painting, perhaps
a stream down in the valley?

Mike Severoff
02-21-2010, 03:46 AM
very high quality. but I say - not enough light :)

FireFytingNut
02-21-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm with Weeun! Shoot, I can't afford a tablet. It's mouse all the way for me! While it would be nice to have a tablet, I think you can produce much of the same great results with a mouse :) I agree with others on the shadows and lighting and even water in the valley but I love the idea and it's lookin good so far! :)

hanhepi
02-21-2010, 05:33 AM
awesome! i'll try working on it again i think. thank you all so much. :)

hanhepi
02-21-2010, 10:07 AM
well, i took a lot of the suggestions, and changed some things. after adding the haze, i got to thinking "hey, these horses look kinda scared... wonder why..." the answer was pretty obvious: a flood and another storm on its way! (and what a great way to add water to the valley like y'all suggested?) so i made the sky angrier (thanks to bumble's sky tutorial), and flooded the lower part of the valley.

my attempts to add uprooted trees to the raging flood have failed so far, and i need to clean up the edges, but over all, i think it's a much better picture!

i'd like to make the water muddier looking, but i'm having some trouble there. i'll get back to playin with this one eventually though.

so, what needs work now? y'all are really good at this. :D

terrygillooly
02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Love the changes! The painting is more compelling now.
A couple of comments:
1) The water looks good. I like the frothy bubbles on the far left (that are destined to get cut off, I guess). They look like turbulence.
2) My feeling is that a stormy sky would be mostly gray clouds with little or no blue showing. To me that sky looks more like a night sky than a stormy one.

FireFytingNut
02-21-2010, 11:38 AM
OOOOH yeah! The painting has a LOT more personality now! Great work on that! I love how the water looks. I think that you either leave it in this general tone that it's in now or if you do go with stormy, make the adjustments to the water you were talking about and things like that. Looking great!

barnburner
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
If you want to have a stormy sky, you might want to lower the size of the far mountains, to give you room to put the clouds in there with the different shadings most storm clouds have.
It's definately looking much better.
Good work!