PDA

View Full Version : Khalid water tutorial - 20min first attempt

StephenFoster
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Guys,
I had a go at Khalid's great water tutorial and this is how I did.

I found that I didnt put enough paint on(hence the oodles of white) and didnt know where to start with the details but I thought it was ok as a first bash in 20 mins.
What was really difficult was the temptation I have to blend everything in the universe. Its probably just because AR blending is so much fun ;)

Its no where near a finished piece of work and may never and as you know I like to point out all things art are new to me but thought Id see what peeps thought.

PS: I think I should be brave and try to use a reference image instead of pulling things from my head. I have a great longterm memory but 2 mins ago is usually lost...so maybe a reference pic would help me to concentrate and poss improve my shortterm memory too ;)

SCP
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Very nice Stephen ;)

RobertSWade
09-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Take heart Stephen. Khalid's earliest works don't stand up well to what he does now. This is a great excercize. Keep at it and keep exploring the tools. ArtRage is more complex than it seems. And remember ... right brain, right brain.
:)

StephenFoster
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow I posted this like what seemed like ages ago so thanks for bumping it up guys.

Even though it was only like a week ago or so I feel like I've moved on so much even since then.
I have practised the water several times since with various colours etc and feel like I am happy to paint "still" water.
I've also taken a stab at Peters water tutoral with the gentle wave like motion and thats ok to.

So now I can paint, skys,clouds,water,reflections and apples ;) Its the whole "scene" thing that I know I am weakest on.
In order to improve you must accept your current skill level and understand that you dont know everything. Take that as a snapshot of you at that point in time. I'm good with that. I know I can improve.

For me and my right brain now, I'm just splitting my painting time between semi-structured tasks and random excursions.

More brushing and less blending on larger pieces for me...thats what i need.

thanks

StephenFoster
09-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Hi guys this is my second attempt :)

You might have spotted it already but the full size one can be found here
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22217

I'm happy with it but I dont think its finished yet. Also I my heart just craves to paint something with more paint on it and less blending.. still +ve thoughts, stephen. +ve thoughts.

Silentman
09-12-2009, 09:04 AM
You've done a great job, Khalid the water painting teacher extraordinaire :D

StephenFoster
09-12-2009, 09:25 AM
You've done a great job, Khalid the water painting teacher extraordinaire :D

Thanks fella :D

practice, practice, practice apparently.. however I'm inclinded to think that its largely due to a great tutorial.