PDA

View Full Version : FOURTH DIMENSION_003 (Head Fortress)

SCP
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
G'day fellow ArtRagers,
I have been working on and off this one for ages,started off as a Speedpaint here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19201&page=5

So I decided to convert that into a print size painting (5000x3000 pixels)
This Jpeg I'm posting hides some of the details I have painted which is a shame.Anyway I hope all my effort was worth the effort and wait.

100% painted in AR,resized in Artweaver.
Please click on Jpeg.

coops
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Wow SCP what a lot of work has gone into this painting. Love the colours.

Juz
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Gorgeous SCP, details are stunning. Where do you get your patience ? :)
Did you use Alchemy for the symmetry of the underpainting ?

Lima
07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Absolutely remarkable with a professional look. Congratulations SC:eek:

wenkat
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Very impressive! You've indeed done a marvellous work on this stuff! Congratulations!:)

sunsetdreams711
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
wow great attention to detail

screenpainter
07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
wow a fantastic finish. I hope it is not on a beach near me anytime soon, but it is gorgeous fantasy work!

damasocl
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Congratulations!!!!
Amazing work!!!
:):):)

Silentman
07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Very Impressive, you have made my Desktop Wallpaper, this is my own prestigious award for outstanding artwork lol. I only put artwork on my desktop to A) learn from and B) for inspiration.

Your painting is both very knowledgeable and Inspiring to say the least SCP ;) :D

Vaik4zas
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I love it. Spectacular image!

SCP
07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Coops Thankyou I appreciate it.:)

Gorgeous SCP, details are stunning. Where do you get your patience ? :)
Did you use Alchemy for the symmetry of the underpainting ?
Hi Juz ,no I didn't use Alchemy for the symmetry,I actually made a video showing how I did this in Artrage 2.5.So all done in AR fom very start to finished painting.;)Glad you like it:):):)
Video here http://www.mediafire.com/file/yongmk0m2yz/Speedpaint_Trans.rar

orianelima Thankyou so much for posting comments here and in my Gallery.;):)
wenkat I'm very glad you think so,thankyou Wenkat.:)
sunsetdreams711 Thankyou for looking and leaving comment.;)
gzairborne Hey mate,hehehe I think your beaches are safe;)Thankyou:)
damasocl Appreciate your comments,thankyou.
Silentman Wow ..I'm blown away by your response.:oThanks mate that is awesome !:cool::):):)
Vaik4zas Almost missed you as I was setting up this post lol.A big thankyou!:)

Thought this might interest anyone that hasn't seen the original Speedpaint.This will also answer Juz's question,on how I started.Just painted shapes,then used duplicate/transform/flip and merge then paint over.Here are the first steps that inspired the final.;)

Cheers,
Scott.

Silentman
07-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh cool thanks for sharing that and the video :)

Silentman
07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I just finished watching your video and am downloading the rest, thankyou for your honest insight into your world of art, there were many things i learnt that i thought you may have done another way, you decreased the amount of time it will take to produce my upcoming projects.

Oh it was !DAMN NICE! to hear Aussie instruction for once lol

Thankyou very much for this :) ;)

D Akey
07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Very groovy colors. Doesn't exactly carry a feeling of dread and menace for me owing to the colors being so tastefully pastel and on the rich side. It feels nastier in the B&W version.

As a fantasy castle, it rocks! Great color control. Would make a cool villain's lair.

Caesar
07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
No doubt You're a first rank master producing these stunning macro-organisms, dear SCP!!!! Spectacular!

Madge
07-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Ooh - that's stunning and creepy at the same time. I love it. :)

I'd love to watch the video but am unsure how to do so. The site has horrible pop-ups and the file type is one I haven't heard of. Can someone guide me through how to do it please? I'm on a PC with Vista.

Lee
07-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Dear SCP, soooo good!!! amazing,, the brain fibers of a gnat? love the black and whites, like xray pictures:eek::)

Belvrog
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow turned out fantastic Scott. That must have taken you some time to do. That's some very fine detailed work. Nice combination of medieval, fantasy and scifi elements. Wow.

Silentman
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Madge just ignore the popups, the Download button is big, click it and your download will start, it will ask you where to save it on your hardrive, from there open it up and click on the file that says it relates to FireFox, it will then play in the browser :)

The popups are there, because they host files for free.

SCP
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Silentman Wow thanks Mate! Very nice of you,and I'm so glad you got something out of my video's,don't like to waste Web space lol;)
Hehehe yer it's rare you hear an Aussie voice,and your very welcome.:):)
D Akey I agree,I actually wanted inviting colours and not a doomsday feel.My idea was not unlike the Rose's wonderful colour and perfume but if you blindly go in you will get pricked by thorns!:D I didn't want the viewer to be repulsed...well not at first;) You have to see the full version maybe? Thanks again D Akey!:):)
Caesar Mate I love your statement "macro-organisms" that is a very good description! I'm no Master thou,I'm more like Grasshopper,learning my way as I go.:o Thankyou Caesar.:)
Madge Hi there,sorry you have trouble with my files.The format is Shockwave/flash(completely safe no nasties from me!).http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
IE needs the Adobe Shockwave player addon.
I found this to be the best size vs quality.I spent ages trying out different ones.When you download my file you have to unzip it then just Double click the IE icon.Shockwave 11 seems to work with Vista now ..so I read I'm using XP Pro.Maybe someone else here using Vista can help:confused:

Also I uploaded to another site if you don't like Mediafile(just ignore popups)
Here some links ,just click Free user and then wait for timer to runout.
http://rapidshare.com/files/261933564/ArtRage_Speedpaint_Trans.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/261933565/ArtRage_wetlook_pt1.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/261933566/ArtRage_Wetlook_pt2.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/256270201/GRAYTOCOLOUR.zip

Let me know if I can be anymore help,thankyou for your kind comments.:)

Lee Thankyou so much Lee!:):)
Belvrog Yes.. I lost track of the hours,and it's one of those painting I could still spend more time on.But I think I got it to a level,it can pass as finished.Thankyou I was feeling all those elements you mentioned when I was painting it.Very glad you had a look;):)

Wow a long post...
Thankyou Artragers!:D
Here some detail shots.

Lima
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Impressive SC and I agree with Caesar: your are a master.

PICASO41
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
This would definitely give H.P. Lovecraft a run for his money.
Fantastic detail

m

Juz
07-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Ah the old flips... You should take a look at alchemy for the sort of work you do, its free, and might speed up your production. You do need a full install of the sun java runtime to run it but it will take you to the download site for that if you dont have it when you go to install. :)

foxytocin
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Cool as all get-out. Really and truly. And then you share all this info, too, which makes it even more cool.

Silentman
07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Yep it works just fine on Vista, i'm running Vista Business, for me though i found a Firefox link not the IE one lol. Rapid share is much better SCP, another idea is Screencast, fairly reasonable size for free and it ties in both Camtasia and Jing which might be more user friendly seamlessly.

http://www.screencast.com

Sketchism71
07-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Absolutely mind-blowing Scott! It is beyond my comprehension how you conceive images such as this... A true fantasy masterpiece. I had this up on my screen earlier today and walked away to do something, when I came back to it my oldest son was sitting in front of it gazing into it as if he was in a trance...lol! Totally cool!

waheednasir
07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
this is good, very well done and dramatic. nice appropriate palette used...:).

Madge
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info Silentman and SCP - I don't have Firefox just good old IE. Will try again. Don't hold yer breath. ;)

Mairzie Dotes
07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
SCP,
If I were to allow my imagination to fly free and invision a fantastic
nightmare in all of my favorite colors ... THIS WOULD BE IT!!! There
is so much to discover, so many dark entities both defined and lurking
in shadowy nooks and cranny's ... but beware ... they are just as
venomous as their formidable counterparts. Wonderfully painted and
the detailing is exceptional! What a dandy imagination you have! :)

SCP
08-01-2009, 09:31 AM
orianelima Thankyou very much:o
PICASO41 Hehehe very cool,my friend from my college days was a huge fan.Thankyou for your kind words.;)
Juz Hi yes I have used Alchemy in my Speedpaint thread.To be honest doing this in Artrage was faster,only had to open one program.The grey scale was from a previous speedpaint I did.So I recycled it!:D
Here is the Alchemy speedpaint I did.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/5/9/6/2/destruction_sm_thumb.jpg (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5020&c=member&imageuser=5962)

foxytocin Wow thankyou ,I'm glad you like it.Thanks for the feedback on the info I provided as well.;):)
Silentman Thanks for the feedback yer the Icon will be your default Web Browser.I looked at screencast not much bandwidth etc.I really need to setup my own website one day lol.
Sketchism71 G'day Sketch,wow that is so freakin awesome,thanks for sharing this...has made my day!:cool::cool::cool::)
waheednasir Thankyou I appreciate it:)
Madge Your welcome...any luck??

Mairzie Dotes Wow you have explained it better than I could,so wonderful you "Get it" like I intended.So very pleased to read your thoughts thankyou so much.:):):):)

byroncallas
08-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Scott, I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. Now that I'm here I have to express what an overwhelming experience it is to find such a thrilling masterpiece.

First, the first impression is the overall Majesty of the piece, a clear impression of billions of fully realized parts making an integrated and overwhelming whole pulsating with the energy and life of an organic-otherly world conceived in an incredible imagination. The THING just reeks of power, omniscience and near omnipresence, an almost Holy evil, lord over its universe that reaches everywhere and consumes everything.

It's fantastic in its inviting colors, its seductive attraction, its power of persuasion concealing the dark secrets that may (or may not) lie within. Its majesty is too huge to be easily understood, but without a doubt leaves no doubt it is a mystery to be reckoned with. It presence fully established it remains a mystery both attractive and repulsive while fascinating and frightening all at the same time.

The intricate detail that makes up the whole is wondrous, paintings within paintings within paintings into an almost molecular regression into nothingness giving birth to a magnificent everything. The thing is so good it's hard to talk about it, so I'm going to shut up and end with a few, like, HOLY COWS, and hope it communicates that I find this an extraordinary piece of work.

Man you really blew me away.

Great going Scott, you're the man.

Byron

SCP
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Dear Byron,
I was going over my old threads and haven't replied to your comments on this one.:o
Very sorry I have been away for awhile,but I was going to print this one out poster size but I have lost the original AR file and png file,bit sad...
Thankyou kindly for your warm comments.;):)

Sketchism71
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Good Lord! Fantastic work Scott! I got lost in the complexity of this one... Absolutely stunning work!:eek::eek::eek:

byroncallas
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Dear Byron,
I was going over my old threads and haven't replied to your comments on this one.:o
Very sorry I have been away for awhile,but I was going to print this one out poster size but I have lost the original AR file and png file,bit sad...
Thankyou kindly for your warm comments.;):)

Hi Scott, Amazing, well over a year since visiting this - having received your response today via e-mail. Great to hear from you. I've been away from the forums too for quite a while, but have managed to drop in with some frequency in the last six weeks.

Revisiting the painting today was a treat all over again. You know, if you've lost the file, you can download what's here and use something like PhotoZoom3 to resize it it up to a larger print size and see how it all comes out. Often it will come out great - it's well worth a try.

Great surprise to hear from you. I hope you've been well and that Monty has been behaving himself, though the latter seems highly unlikely.

Best,
Byron:D:D:):)

mannafig
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Superb dear SCP as always fabulous work:):)

MacPix
02-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Impressive!

Jules
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Blimey O'Reilly thats brilliant *faints*:eek:

Alexandra
02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Good gosh, this is awesome Scott!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

L Skylar Brown
02-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Geiger would be very impressed.

meeks
02-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Oh wow...this is really impressive work. Fantastic atmosphere, and extremely well rendered. I envy your imagination! Are you a concept artist for video games or animation?