PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Sketch "perpetual" WIP

Silentman
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi gang, i have come to the point where i realise to be able to paint i need to embark on a study to draw. I was walking past my favorite book shop and saw Peter Grays "The Complete Guide to Drawing & Illustration" in the window for $10 off the RRP bringing it down to $14.99. I'm now half way through and loving it, the book is organised in a course format, but is suitable for reference as well, i have been reading it before bed as i find that's when i absorb information best, and if i read an instruction manual through once before attempting the lessons, i find i don't feel so much like i'm cramming information into my head all at once lol.

Anyways my intention for this thread is to share with you all my journey into the scary wide world of sketching, i will update this thread occasionally with my current sketches both real media and sketched with ArtRage, i felt that it might be helpful for some and refreshing for others to see my progress, in any case i do hope you enjoy laughing at my feeble attempts, and enjoy the rewards of study and dedication with me as my skills advance.

I hope to have my 1st sketch up over the next few days.

The link to the book is here for those interested "The Complete Guide to Drawing & Illustration" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide-Drawing-Illustration-Inspirational/dp/0572032315)

ScottF
07-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to seeing your first sketch and your progression.

Sketchism71
07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Right on silentman! It's a wonderful journey and one that never really ends! I don't sketch as much as I use to, but for a long time...that was all I did. Another good book to read is "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It has some interesting perspectives and is great for people just starting. I look forward to following your work and progress!:D

Also... try not to become frustrated or feel you are not ready to paint. Painting really only requires some basic sketching, enough to get the idea down on the canvas. Composition, Value, and color do the rest.

Lee
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Dear Silentman, LOVE sketches and a chance to learn, looking forward!:)

screenpainter
07-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Sketches are so key to good compositions I think and the ability to draw is rewarding. The most valuable bit of info I ever got was to draw what you see not what you think you are looking at. Even perspective can be right by drawing what you see. I am not talking about abstracts and expressionism, but rather good drawing skills like fantasy drawing and figure drawing. Look forward to your progress and paintings. :)

Sunflower
07-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Hi Silentman, we seem to be at roughly the same stage in learning to draw.

I have the same book and it's great. I have been copying the most basic sketches in pencil on paper. Haven't tried them in ArtRage yet.

The other book I've just started on is Phil Metzger's "Art of Perspective", since my very first sketches were already wonky!

chambersecrets
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
this will be cool to see your progress. for years and years all ive done is pencil work. So i cant wait to see how it turns out. also you should try to do your sketching on the tablet because its very hard to go from pencil to tablet. Now i have a hard drawing with a pencil!!lol;)

Silentman
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys for the great encouragement, i started sketching "paper & Pencil" style last night but Mum had to move me "damn it" lol so i'll start again, even for that half an hour as i got over the anxiety it was great fun, i can see myself becoming very addicted, i already look at everything in "line and shade" form lol, i have big aspirations of going down to the local beach and spending hours just sketching in the peace and quiet, but i know i must take this one step at a time so i don't become discouraged.

Sketch - "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that sounds like my kinda book, i'll be hunting it down for sure, as soon as i'm ready to move on from my current one :D

Sunflower - that's really cool, if you have any suggestion's or questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM, i really hope to see some of your sketches too. I have found the book very good, i will finish reading it in the next couple of nights, but i couldn't wait any longer i just had to start the sketching :)

Raybrite
07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
The drawings I have been posting today on the Critique forum all come from the book The Art of Pencil Drawing By Gene Franks. You begin by drawing 4 or 5 figures.( Square, triangle, circle, oblong, and cone.) These are also to warm up. I still find myself drawing them. Everything is made out of them to some degree. After that, they give you step by step instructions for everything until you are good enough to do them yourself.
I couldn't draw anything until I started these books. Just practice.
I started with flowers. They don't complain about it not looking like them.
Hang in there. Look forward to seeing your drawings.

Silentman
07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Ok let the sketching begin, i have 3 offerings, 2 natural sketches, 1 on artist block (the birds of paradise) and 1 on photocopy paper, the other i reworked in photoshop, it was a poorly done sketch for a painting canvas project i bought for a couple of bucks.

Before i post my sketchings, i would like to say, that i think as helpful as the book has been, somehow it got me worrying about the details and technique too much, which was stifling my attempts, you will see in the 1st one (Box & Leaves Attempt), i tried to follow the teachers instructions with using my pencil for measuring perspective and what not and i ended up with a complete mess, which i didn't really want to post but this thread is about my progress :)

The 2nd atemp, i got the shits and went out the front and drew the next door neighbors Birds Of Paradise Flowers, i did this following my own intuition and feelings on the matter at hand, and too my surprise i came up with what i feel is a very good sketch for my 2nd sketch in all time, never before ever have i sketched freehand from sight only. The experience was awesome, i can see myself heading down to my favorite beach and bush land very soon and getting lost in drawing for days on end, i may even go camping and do just that.

so without further adoo here's my sketches.

Box's & Leaves, BLUKkkkk.... (Bottom Left)

Birds Of Paradise WoooHoooo Right On Dude.... (bottom Right)

And the Sailing Boat rework for painting over. (Top)

Raybrite
07-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Good start. Keep it going with one and save the other two for later. Figure out if you want it to be pencil, pastel, oil or what and go from there.
You are out of the starting blocks now so hang in there and enjoy the trip.

Silentman
07-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks Ray my intension so far are too keep on Sketching, until i am refined, i may develop some into to paintings though. I will sketch the same branch tonight with ArtRage, i have the photo's i offered everyone in the Art Supplies section here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21168

Thanks for your comments :)

Silentman
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
What does everyone else do to get angles correct in freehand sketching. I have the most trouble with angles that are coming towards me, but generally speaking i'm having trouble with all angles, just getting them to fall in the correct direction is frustrating me, having to start drawings over and over again...

Any tips would be great, aside form the obvious, Practice PRACtice PRAAACCCTICE lol

weeun
07-31-2009, 01:48 AM
Practice PRACtice PRAAACCCTICE!

Your sketches are wonderful.
I'm no good with angles in freehand sketching, don't ask me to help! *backs away*

But, I have the same problem too, with angles. It's really frustrating. :(

Silentman
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Weeun.

Anyone care to share some expertise on the matter of getting angles correct, Hmmmm ?

Raybrite
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Weeun had is right . Practice.
I found a book awihile back. Astually it was a small booklet. Very inexpensive on perspective.
There was a free drawing lesson on perspective on the Internet. Google drawing perspective and it may come up.
Basically, you visualize a point in the background where things would meet if they kept moving away and place a point there.(It may be off the canvass.) Then draw your lines toward that point.
Think of a road. as it gets farther away, it appears narrower until it is a dot on the horizon. Same principle.
Hope this helps.:)

Silentman
07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Yup thanks Ray, i have a book lol, i have talked about it quite a bit, it talks a lot about perspective lol, i know your trying to be helpful, but what i'm really after is...

What tricks and techniques do other artists use to help them draw angled lines? to get the spaces and distances correct, i am practicing working with perspective and am going to move onto to buildings, houses and such to help me harness the concept of perspective, but perspective doesn't work so well with flowers lol and "itty bitty" details and blasted "ANGLES" hehe, there i feel better now lol

So if you have any advice from experience of how you managed to harness angles other than practice (which i am already doing, i have that one down pat thankyou), think back to your early days, when was your Uh Huh moment when you discovered a sure fire way to get those angles correct, that it is what i'm looking for.

SCP
08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Firstly want to commend you on starting your own Sketch thread ,a very good idea;)
Your first sketches look good.:)
You might also want to try some drawing exercises as well,might be some in your drawing books?(Doodling is often overlooked)
By Drawing angles do you mean foreshortning or actual angled lines?
Yep nothing beats practice or doing,but there other factors as well to improve your ability.;)
Keep up the good work mate!:D

Scott.

Silentman
08-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks Scott, if you take the Birds of Paradise sketch for an example, the prongs head off at different anlges, getting those angles and lengths is tricky :)

I finished reading the book last night but am going to go back through the perspective part again. One thing i have noticed in all the sketches he's done all the way through, is he redrew lines that weren't at the correct angles, so i guess it is practice and practice only that hones in your ability to get the angles correct in a more timely and accurate fashion lol but even the masters get the angles incorrect and have to redraw them several times, to get them correct.

What frustrates me is restarting the drawing over and over, not being able to decide on a start point, getting that correct then moving onto correcting the other area's according to said starting point, i seem to go around and round in circles, so... i dunno, i guess with some practice i'll get it down pat :)

Raybrite
08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I have that problem a lot and to avoid starting all over again. Draw it lightly on the base layer and then just trace over it on a layer above it a bit darker. That way when you mess it up, you only will loose what is on the base layer which you can erase later anyway. I do that a lot. Especially with the windmill. I had so many layers, I kept forgetting which layer had what on it and then i would forget to change layers when I changed colors.
As long as you get it right on another layer, you can trace it onto a "finish" layer and then do another part on the base layer and trace thaqt one. When something isn't right, just erase that part and draw it over again.
Good luck.
Ken:)

Silentman
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah i hear what your saying, so far i've found ArtRage to be annoying to sketch with "Sorry Ragers" :( but i want a Digital Pencil that sketches like a HB or even a 2H not a 2B or 4B :eek: it seems that when i'm sketching the lose rough, sketching lines in roughly i mean, the line gets darker and darker, that's not what i need, i need it to stay the same colour, something that can be accomplished in both Photoshop and Painter Essentials, the other thing is the keyboard shortcuts are frustrating for me, i rapidly shift between eraser and pencil, and the shortcut for the pencil is No.2 but the eraser is the = symbol which is more than a hand width's span away, for normal hands anyway, it would be much better if we can assign our own shortcuts i think.

Anyways i've asked others for what they do and haven't received many replies here, but i have received some suggestion via PM, i'll go check them out before i give up :)

Raybrite
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
The softness control is supposed to change the pencils. You might also try using a light grey color so it will not be too dark. I used the grey color with the windmill and reduced the width to about 1 or2. somewhere around there. It gave me a light line. The only problem I had was remembering which layer I put it on.
Have fun.
Ken.:)

SCP
08-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I have to say I was frustrated for ages comming from pencils to digital,took me a while to get use to it.I have tried PS,Painter(which I can't afford) But none really give a pencil feel,I think as your sketching improves so to will your digital drawing,it just takes time.So don't be so hard on yourself mate;)
Digital has so many workarounds.
I have mostly changed my methods to suit digital rather than get digital to copy traditional media.I think that was my first hurdle!lol:)

Sketchism71
08-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Hey Silentman! Nice to see your sketches... They are looking great! To answer your request about angles... They can be tricky especially when you first start drawing. All sketches;drawings/paintings should have a horizon line. Once determining the perspective and placement of the horizon line, you choose the vanishing point somewhere on it. The vanishing point is the point of origination to all the angles in your sketch. Everything stems out from or dissapears back into that point of your drawing. Practice with easy shapes at first and work into more technical shapes and figures. Sometimes, depending on the perspective of the sketch, the vanishing point is off the page of the sketch. Use the ruler tool provided in AR if this is the case and determine your vanishing point with two rulers place at the correct angle off the paper. Hope that helps a little.

Silentman
08-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Scott and Sketch :)

Sketch, i know exactly what your saying but haven't been treating it as something that is essential, i've read and re read the section in my book about perspective, to try and grasp it, maybe it's because he only talks about it with regards to buildings that i've failed to use it for ALL drawings Hmmm

The real problem i'm having at the moment is with objects that come straight towards me, i was sitting in the doctors waiting room (will post the sketch today) and i was doing fine until i tried to sketch the lights, both round skylight and flouro, they were hard angles for me to put into perspective, my sketch that i'll post later today will demonstrate this, perhaps because i didn't sketch in the cornice on the walls edge behind them they just look like there sitting no where, they could be floating in mid air lol hehehe.

Thanks heaps for the diagram, it has helped me to refine a topic that i'm trying very hard to grasp at the moment in my sketching :D

SCP
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
G'day Col,
Sketch gives some great tips for you.If your working in AR,add a layer and put some pespective guides in and then rework your drawing.You might find it helpful to import a photo and work out the perspective to train your eye.Also I put this together for your question on my pencil settings I use in AR.Hope this is some help as well.Not sure on your tablet but pressure and size of pencil is key to light sketching ,you could even use blue for your rough sketch layer then do your linework on a layer on top.
Now get sketching!;):D

Silentman
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh thanks Heaps Scott, i look right into that tonight, thanks for going to the trouble to put that together for me mate :D

PS: one of the troubles i have is i always try and bight off to much before i can chew lol, i try really hard to pick easy simple shapes but they bore the heck out of me, so i ended trying to sketch landscapes lol, oh and a self portrait this afternoon hehe (it sorta looks ok lol, Sorta hehehe) yeah i'll post it and the others before today's out, gotta rewards ya's for all ya efforts :D

Silentman
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok some sketches, these are all real media sketching on A4 Cartridge and my new little Mont Marte sketch book A5 150gsm is great, i really am liking sketching a lot, i never new i could sketch at all until lately, i'm not great at it yet but i am starting to get a feel for it :)

Ok last Wednesday sketches, were roughly 25 mins each, the doctors surgery was a little longer. I went to the local headland with the intention to relax before my doctors appointment, we were going to have it out (so to speak) with regards to the strong pain killers i'm on for my chronic back pain, so i was looking for some peace and harmony before the war :P

This is what i came up with: The 1st Sketch was the Landscape at the bottom of the post, i don't really like it much, but it's important to show progress, the 2nd sketch is the one at the top of the post, i'm very happy with the results, these 2 sketches are my very 1st landscapes that i have ever sketched in my entire life, moving right along, the car i had been working on for a bout 5 mins and a bloody 4WD parked in front of it, geez wiz man, sketching on the run in public can be a hassle sometimes but rewarding all the same :D

Silentman
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok the doctors Surgery same day, the counter was about 40 mins, i gave up the battle once i couldn't seem to place the angle on the fluro and the skylight properly, i find it's better to move than to completely loose patience and maybe give up all together :eek:

The flower pot was only 5 mins, i was just trying to work on perspective, not so much details, trying desperately to get those thing that point straight at you correctly placed lol.

In hindsight Sketch, if i had of used the perspective guide in the counter sketch, i could have possibly gotten the angles correct :D

Anyways, that Wednesday out of the way :)

Silentman
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Today's Sketches, i didn't upload the Bridge sketch, it's just to depressing, the utter disappointment of being stopped by a freak sitting so rudely in front of me to stop me from drawing is beyond my comprehension, it's plain inhuman animalistic behavior that i hope i never come across again :(

But here's the pretty Pelican the stupid kids were throwing rocks at :mad: i did a reasonable job for a 5 min hurried sketch, i feel ;) :)

And finally my 1st self portrait, i seem to have the most trouble with the nose, the whole sketch is loose so to speak, i mean it's no terribly in perspective but it's not too bad i feel for my 1st, i'm happy with it :D

Finally i want to thank all of you that are joining me on my journey to becoming a competent artist with sketching, i am going to embark on some digital sketches over the next week or two, i hope you'll join me for those as well, the 1st one will be based on a sketch from the book i've been studying, after attempting a couple of sketches Digitally now, i feel i really need to follow a sketch that has already been completed, this saves me from worrying about the tones or creating the line work fresh, i will be simply putting the lines where he has, in order to get the feel for sketching :)

Turtleman
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Try this link, Google buys alot of books and places them free on there wesite, you just search what you want and bam.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&um=1&spell=1&q=Complete+Guide+Drawing&btnG=Search+Books

Lee
08-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Dear Silentman, sort of hate to say am enjoying your daily sketches as you are not so well but really do like to read your thoughts you are having on your journey right now,,, your sketches are getting better, seems you are taking the time to analize:confused: your subjects, you cracked me up a little when you said 'kids were throwing rocks' at that poor bird,,, anyway,,, i think your landscape is actually your best!!! can see exactly what it is without explanation, when your medical troubles lighten and you get busy again you may not have the time to sketch , so keep it up and be well!!!:)

Sketchism71
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey Silentman, those sketches look awesome! That's too bad about those kids and your experience while sketching the pelican. I see what you mean about the lights above the reception area in the Dr's office. I did a Very quick sketch to show how you could use a graph to get some perspective on things like that. After a while, you won't need the graphs, your brain will start to mentally figure out those angles (enough at least they will give the effect of perspective). I created my angles for the lights off angles you already had in your sketch (the posts on the reception area). Far from perfect but I just wanted you to get the idea. Another thing that has helped me sketching things like this is to NOT try to draw the item (the light), instead focus on the shape of what you see...Don't think of it as a light...just a shape. Otherwise your brain will try to draw a light like it thinks of a light. Hope that makes sense and helps a little. This is a great thread...Thanks for sharing your progress with us!

SCP
08-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Your most welcome mate!;)
Just hope I'm of some help.
Glad your posted your sketches,your really making the effort which is always the first step.No just remember not to be too hard on yourself and every sketch/ drawing,is a step forward.:)
Also wish you all the best with your medical dramas.
O.k from reading your posts it does seem to me you enjoy a challenge.So I have one for you,you might like to try.It's an old drawing exercise,not sure if you have tried it or not?

In brief choose a object in your house(start simple) for e.g a Pepper grinder/shaker,Kettle etc.Now try to draw the outline of the object without looking at your drawing:eek:That's right keep your eyes on the object.This can help with your hand eye cordination and getting better line work.Remember this is a line drawing,not worried about shading/tonal values just the outline.Sound easy:confused::confused:
Give it a go;)

All the best,
Scott.

Silentman
08-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Ahh thanks guys for all your input.

Sketch that's a great example thanks for showing it to me, i'll definitely incorporate it into my sketching.

Scott your right i love a challenge lol, and i sure will give it a go, i sort of do that a little bit with my sketching, i stay looking at an angle and continue drawing and look down after it to see if i got it right lol, funny as it sounds but i used to do this in class at school with writing lol, don't know why i just did, i'd practice writing whole words without looking hehehe

Turtleman thanks for the heads up i'll check it out :)

Today i'll be going digital with ArtRage, and i'll post my sketches over the next couple of days :)

Silentman
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
WoW just found something really exciting, i was messing around with the Bamboo Fun Tablet settings and found that the "Tip Feel" setting makes a huge impact on the settings in ArtRage for the pencil tool. I've set the "Tip Feel" to 5 notches - 2/3rds of the way to firm, and in ArtRage i have set 100% pressure and 14% softness which is giving me a grey line unless i push relatively hard on the styless, relative to a real pencil and pushing hard with it to firm up some details, the pencil size is 20 which is similar to a normal HB pencil ;)

This is awesome, it was just the feeling i was looking for, a real pencil feeling, push hard and you get a darker line, sketch softly to put in some initial shapes and you get a grey line, excellent :D:D

Now all i need is to able to set my eraser up so it's a bit closer lol

SCP
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Ahhh awesome yes that's how my tablet works,glad you got better settings now;):)

Silentman
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks Scott it's a big breakthrough lol, i'm really excited hehee :o :D

Ok, thanks to Sketch for doing up that diagram, i have gone ahead and made up a stencil, for all to use, it shows both the Horizon EyeLine and the Vertical Eyeline + i added the Rule of Thirds too as i thought that would be handy.

Hope you find some use for it in your upcoming Artworks. As a stencil you can fill in or leave what ever lines you like, you can even just make some marks to help guide your Drawings and Paintings to be correctly aligned and in the right position on the canvas :)

See attachments for download, the stencil is the red one, the other shows the outcome lol :)

Sketchism71
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Cool graph Silentman! Looks like it will come in handy. A graphing tool is a good idea for future AR tools! One that could be skewed for different perspective drawings.

wonder-w
08-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi Silentman,
I see that you have a strong will to sketching (I saw a portrait ) so I have sent this link, I am sure that will interest you
http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/index.html

Silentman
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks heaps Wonder, i'll be having a good look through that link :D

I had a moment last night lol. I lost all my creativity and was about to give up, Why you ask.... well because i've been trying to sketch the mona lisa instead of sketching apples lol, i give up, i've driven myself mad, i've going crazy...

I'm going back to box's and apples and this time, maybe i'll crawl until i learn to walk 1st lol

Silentman
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Been sketching from a Sketchup PNG last night, finished the rough, i'll get more detailed tomorrow :)

As you can see from the images, i need to do some work on scale and such, but i'll get there :)

Really enjoying using Google Sketchup, so much to choose from and the renderings are quite simple in detail unlike photographs :)

Silentman
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I have a question that i would dearly love to be answered by you pro's :)

In the sketch above, where would you put your perspective line, would you use 1 point or 2 point perspective for that sketch. The sketch is done by sight only at the moment and it reeks of perspective problems because of it.

I am having a great deal of trouble understanding where to put my perspective lines, is it just where i'm standing ie: my point of view, or is there a simple formula which will tell me where to place them, or do i look at my initial house structural lines and base a perspective line off of it.

I'm at a complete loss as to where to place my perspective line, so i can accurately draw the key angles of the house.

I would be over the moon if someone could either draw them into that sketch in a way that explains why they have been put it that place, or a detailed explanation of where to place the lines would be great also.

Please help me to understand the placement of perspective lines ???

furio
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
You can use the ruler in AR but that's a pain in the ass so I used the line tool in SAI to draw the vanishing points, alternatively you could use a square grid on the ground that should help you getting a feel of the perspective and see where the lines go in your sketch.

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/59197HouseSketch01resized.jpg

All lines converge to an imaginary point in the horizon, if you draw two vanishing points in the horizon and draw a box, one side will go to one point while the other side to the other. Use primitive shapes like cubes while learning perspective.

Edit, maybe someone could make vanishing point and perspective stencils.

Silentman
08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks Furio, that's excellent, makes perfect sense, i'll do that next time, i'm drawing anything that's not organic :)

Silentman
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Just one question there Furio, it seems like there's room for 3 point perspective in that drawing, or perhaps 4 if there's such a thing, there are angles which aren't covered with the perspective lines that you've drawn, how do you go about those other lines. Nope it's not clear to me :o

1 such line is the opposite driveway, although you could do one side and level the other with the 1st line, on the roof there's some lines that are virtually pointing straight at us ??

Taking another look those lines only take care of the straight horizontal lines, not the semi vertical angles which i was also talking about ??

Gray
08-21-2009, 04:32 AM
I just continued with furio's work. I added a few colors where thought the perspective was a little tricky to see. The yellow and green lines don't align with any particular perspective lines, those are the geometry of the roof. The top and corners of the roof all line up, and at that point you simply fill in the missing lines to get the triangle look. (The cylinder I attempted is a little crooked, but I hope you can see how that fits in there. It's hard to get those ovals just so in MS paint :o)

For the really weird angle line on the roof, find on the top of the roof where the blue perspective line runs into the roof, mark a point, and draw a line from there to wherever you want the bottom of that section of the roof. The whole situation is sort of confused by the chimney, but that is what makes perspective so fun.

I hope this helps!

Silentman
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah it did Gray, i see you point with the triangles now, the chimney wasn't a huge problem, it was those triangles, but i think i have it sorted, guess i could have worked it out, but with everything else that going on in my life, i seem to have lost my ability to fathom most things :(

Thanks for pointing that out Gray i really appreciate it :)

Sketchism71
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Lookin great Silentman... Check out your PM!:)

Silentman
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks Sketch, i'll remember to be more lose in future :)

SCP
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Great idea Col,and nice to see you work things out.Sketchup is a great tool in the Artist Toolbox.;):)

Silentman
08-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks Scott :)

Silentman
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Just want to say how much it means to me that you guys are following my progress. It's a real encouragement to keep me on the straight and narrow :o :)

I'll get a few more sketches up soon, i've just discovered charcoal and i love it, there's something about it that makes it feel easier, more relaxed to sketch, not sure what it is about it, it's very relaxing :)

Gray
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
The weird thing about sketching for me is that once there are enough missed lines, you can tell which lines are the correct ones. And as long as you have the right lines in place, the mind discards the incorrect lines as artistic. for example: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/416165203_4250d74f41_b.jpg as opposed to this very down to earth image of master chief's helmet: http://www.loadedbrush.com/RoughSketches/SP.jpg

I think that's why you like the charcoal. It's easier to get the impression that the right line is in there somewhere. =D

Sketchism71
08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey Silentman... Still sketchin? Just checkin in on ya... Hope all is well;):)

SCP
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Gidday Silentman...don't be soooo silent with your sketches;)
As Sketch said hope your o.k?

Silentman
08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh hey guys, thanks for checking in on me, been caught up with life of late, i've also been studying one of my favorite art styles, Celtic Art or Knotwork to others, it's fairly complexed but i love it, i will be sure to post something up soon, the latest sketch i've been working is a birthday card for Mum, it has the tree of life on it, sketched from an Oak tree photo reference, i'll post that one shortly once i've got it a little more finished.

Again thanks for checking in on me :D

sandyg
08-31-2009, 04:03 AM
The sketch of that house is good Silentman, I'm lousy at buildings.

Silentman
08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks alot Sandy, it's a bit out of perpesctive though, but i'm trying hard to learn the perspective techniques, practice practice practice so they say lol

michellebus
09-13-2009, 09:06 AM
How do I upload artwork?

sandyg
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Michellebus,
To upload artwork michellebus, click start a new thread put the name of your work in the title, tell us a bit about it in the message part. If you scroll down, you will see attach files, click on manage attachments, it tells you the limit your file can be. You browse and locate the file you want to upload from your computer mines pictures, when it's uploaded close it. your file will be in the manage attachments a coloured bit will show there.
Below it's got submit reply click on that and your post and painting should be uploaded. Hope this helps.