PDA

View Full Version : The July ATC swap sign-up thread - ENTRIES NOW CLOSED!

Madge
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, here goes. Our first sign-up for digital Artist's Trading Cards.

SUBJECT- The Beach. (Any style and interpretation welcome but it must be done totally in ArtRage)

DEADLINE - July 31st. (We'll post them on that day or soon after)

SIZE - Must be 3.5 x 2.5 inches. Preferably vertical format (that's the way most trading card albums display) but horizontal is ok too. You may find it easier to work at say 7x5 or bigger on AR then reduce the size at the end.

LIMITED to 10 artists on a first come first serve basis. If we're not lucky enough to have that many sign up that's not a problem - it just means a smaller edition.

QUALITY - please create and post your images at 300ppi for best print quality.

SIGN or initial your name on the front of your artwork. You'll need a certificate for the back of each ATC showing the title, date and artist's name. I've now posted an example which you're welcome to grab and use.

When you sign up I'll post your names here so we can keep track.

Please post your finished ATC in this thread so that those taking part can download them for printing. Please add your full name and the title of the piece. I'm unsure if we can have a dedicated gallery area so we'll stick to here for now.

I'll be happy to answer any questions or take suggestion for improvements to the scheme! ;)

Contributors:-
1) Madge
2) Silentman
3) Chambersecrets
4) Irishrose
5) Juz
6) Juliediane
7) Goldie
8) Cartuneman
9) Wenkat
10) Gzairborne

Silentman
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm in, not absolutely sure of what to do yet, but i'm in, something about painting a 3.5 x 2.5 inch Beach :)

Madge
07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks Silentman - I've added you to the list.

Here's a certificate of authenticity you are welcome to grab for your own use if you need one.
:)

chambersecrets
07-20-2009, 03:39 AM
awesome... im in!! but im new to this and dont know a whole lot about atc.:p

Madge
07-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks Chambersecrets - I'll add you to the list. If you Google the term ATC you'll find loads of info if you want to know more. You may be more familiar with conventional trading cards, aimed at collectors, often about sporting or comic book heroes.

Juz
07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Hiya Madge,
Was wondering if its ok to join 'unofficially' ? Mainly as I've just discovered my cats have broken my home scanner/printer in one. But also as there are only 10 places I don't want to hold one of those places and then find out later that I'm unable to commit fully to each job.
By unofficially I just mean would it be ok to paint the themes I want now and then (sticking to format rules etc) and post them here alongside the 'official' ones? Or am I missing the point of how ATC's are supposed to work somehow ?:)

Madge
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Rose - re the certificate - it's simply a matter of printing one off for each ATC and adding the artist's details, for posterity. You'll know that non-digital ATCs always have such info on the back, so this is just the same except we add it ourselves. You just cut them out and adhere to the back. It helps to stiffen the ATC too, especially if you print it onto card.
Of course it won't be signed, which is why I'm asking everyone to 'sign' their work on the front, as with any artwork.
The certificate is entirely up to you - if you just want to write on the back then there's no ATC police to stop you! ;)

Juz - welcome on board. I'm happy for you to play along. After all, you can save the work and print them off any time you like, when you have a new printer.

Guys - please don't worry about anything. This is entirely informal - just a nice way to 'meet' ArtRagers and share our work. :)

Madge
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I thought I'd post an image of my ATC album for those of you who are new to this. It's a standard trading card collector's album with transparent pocket pages. You'll see that the page on the left shows the reverse of some ATCs with their certificates or written details. Most of these are non-digital ATCs and some can be quite bulky collaged pieces!
I'm excited to have more digital ones though - I think they're perfect for this way of collecting. :)

Madge
07-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Sorry Rose - the idea is that we post our work in this thread, at full res, then everyone grabs the image to print out themselves. Saves a lot of time and postage, especially as we are an international community - the beauty of digital! Obviously the down side is that anyone can grab them so if you feel unhappy about that then please say.

If people want to create their own signed certs for their work then please post them with your ATCS in the same post. Otherwise we'll just add each artist's details to a printed cert ourselves.

One way around others grabbing the art is to get everyone to post them on a given day then once we've shared them they can be removed.
Any thoughts? Remember - this is just a fun thing. I like things to be as easy as possible. :)

Madge
07-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Sounds like a plan, now I understand. Thank you for explaining, and you've said it all. So, do we start whenever?? ;)

Please go ahead and create your artwork, but maybe we'll wait till the deadline for posting them here. I'd appreciate your thoughts on that?

Come on ArtRagers - be brave and sign up now! :)

juliediane
07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
HI Madge,

Please add me......I think I've grasp the idea. If I have any questions. I'll be sure to ask.

Hugggggggs, Julie

Silentman
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for posting your book, now i have a better understanding and am more relaxed about it, i would really like to personally sign mine, so i was wondering how others felt about that, it doesn't cost much to send a card, and it gives it a personal touch in my opinion, if no one agrees that's ok too, i just wanted to share my feelings on the mater is all.

I agree on waiting for the deadline before posting, hehe SURPRISE :D

Madge
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Julie - I've added you to the list.

Rose - it's just one piece of artwork you have to create.

Silent man. I appreciate your input and the fact that you'd like to sign for real. That will be a problem for Juz as she can't print right now so maybe for this particular swap we'll stick to digital signing. Any future swaps will likely take those preferences into account. I hope the signing on the front of the artwork will at least allay any fears that your rights may be compromised?

Goldie
07-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Please add me as well...I think this may be fun and great way to show off our own as well as others artwork!!

Madge
07-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Thanks Goldie - glad to have you join us. :)

Juz
07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Madge, i'd have to wait to the w'end to look into it but we may be able to post low rez ones here and link to a wordpress site where we could use a plugin to password protect the high rez ones. It would mean that only people who had the password could infact download the print versions. :)

Its a thought anyway, lemme know what you guys think.

Madge
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks Juz - a great idea. Please let us know what you find out. :)

cartuneman
07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
am I to late to throw my hat in?

wenkat
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Nice idea! kindly arrange to add me if there's still time left out!

screenpainter
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I would like to be added also.
Why not post the low res versions here and email the higher res versions directly to the person?
So the high res ones need to be about 3 times the dimensions. So 7.5 inches by 10.5 inches would yield a print the size you want at 300 dpi. approx. :)

Question do we get to trade with all of the other contributors? Is that the idea?

juliediane
07-22-2009, 04:37 PM
OK OK OK.....I'm blonde. how do I set up the 3.5 x 2.5, 300 dpi in artrage......I've looked and I don't have a clue.

Thanks, Julie

Please use short words and speak slowly when explaining this to me............LOLOLOLOLOL

Juz
07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi JulieDiane,

From the File Menu choose 'New Painting'

Pop the settings into the Canvas Settings area at the top :)

Madge
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Oh my goodness - thank you guys for throwing your hats into the ring. That means we now have our 10 players!

Great idea about the emailing of full res versions. Does everyone have their email addies visible on their ID page? Need to check. :)

Thanks Juz, for showing the set-up. I'm doing mine at 7x5 300dpi then reducing to 3.5x2.5 before posting. All I would do is resize the image in my photo software down to 72 ppi for showing here. We all seem to have our own ways!

Madge
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
OK, I've just checked and it seems like our email addies aren't available in our profiles - probably a good thing. So private messaging would be the best solution - that means that you need to enable private messaging. I know Rose has it disabled cos I tried! ;)

Madge
07-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks Rose. Can I have a show of hands from you 9 other participants for going down the sending by email route please? Isn't life complicated! ;)

cartuneman
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
OHtay by me!:D

Silentman
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Tis oky wid mey :D

Madge
07-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Madge.. I didn't find a place to put my email address, but pming is fine :)

Hi Rose - no, I don't think we can show our email addies but thank you for enabling pms.

Right - unless I hear a voice of dissent or Juz comes back to us with a password protected method that looks better, we'll go with emailing.

I'm happy to recieve your email addies via pm then collate them and send the full list back to you all, if that helps. :)

Just had another thought - to save you a lot of trouble - you could send your full res versions to me and I can put them together onto 2 A4 files (you can only get 8 max onto 1 A4/letter size) and forward them to you all. Does that sound like a plan?

screenpainter
07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
why did we have to limit it to 10 people? just curious. sent my email to you.
I think that is the easiest way and then you send us back a list of everyone's emails.

Madge
07-23-2009, 11:00 PM
why did we have to limit it to 10 people? just curious. sent my email to you.
I think that is the easiest way and then you send us back a list of everyone's emails.

Hi Gzairborne - it's standard practice for ATCs to either be one-offs or limited editions, as with any art really. For this first foray into ATCdom on AR I felt it best to limit it to 10 as it might have become harder to manage.
Hopefully others will take up the idea and host other swaps with different subjects after this one. :)
Thanks for the addie btw.

Madge
07-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Thank you Wenkat and Rose. Email addies duly received. :)

Juz
07-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Hiya Madge, I've set up a private blog which only the involved group will be able to access.

I need a list of the names of people in the group from you.

I will then send each member a private message which details the url and initial login instructions. :)

Silentman
07-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Too save stress, why not make the 1st one go for a little bit longer, adjust the date if need be, i'm sure it would be easier to adjust time, than to adjust members involved at this stage, Just my opinion, it's really up too you Madge ;) :)

Madge
07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh dear - sorry to hear that Rose - you'll be missed. I'll pm you. x

Juz - thank you - what a good idea. I'll pm you too.

Silentman - I'm not sure that stretching this out is necessary, but it's an option. I'll get back to you. :)

Goldie
07-28-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm ready to post my first ATC...let me know when you private forum is ready! I just got my Wacom Bamboo...so my first one is definitely been fun but challenging getting used to the pen, etc.

juliediane
07-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Ok, my very first ATC is ready !!!!!

Hugggs, Julie

Madge
07-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks Julie - I've received your addie.

Well done, Goldie - this is getting exciting. I've done mine too! :)

Folks - if you haven't yet sent me your email addie - please do so asap. Juz has kindly set up a private blog, which will be password-protected, from where we can download the full res ATCs. A brilliant solution! :)

Madge
07-28-2009, 08:43 PM
By the way, since Rose has regrettably pulled out, if any of you know of a fellow Artrager who might like to jump in at the last minute please ask them. I shan't open this up again, and I won't be extending the deadline, but to make up the 10 might be more satisfying somehow! :)

Silentman
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm almost ready, should be finished by the night, it's related to the beach sort of, i know there's a beach somewhere near by lol hehee :D

Madge
07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Great stuff, Silentman. It will be like one of those 'guesthouses with a sea view' - only if you stand on a chair and crick your neck round the corner of the house will you see the sea. :)

Juz
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Hiya everyone.
Just wanted to let you know that the ATC forum setup is complete.

Either tonight or tomorrow (depending on when google apps comes back up) you will receive an email with your login details. This forum is being served from my machine here so you don't have to worry about your works existing on some unknown wordpress server out there.

I have provided you with an initial password which you will need to go in and and change to your own password for security. I have given each member author access which means you will have the ability to upload and delete your own paintings, comment etc (basically everything you can do here).

NB/ only members of the ATC group will be able login and see this forum to keep the high rez files secure. If you would like more audience to see your works then you can post a 72dpi version here :)

Now I'd better go work on a beach picture or i'll be handing it in with the paint wet.:)

wenkat
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks Juz, for your involvement and help! Best wishes for the success of ATS project!

Juz
07-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Most welcome Wenkat, and thanks for your good wishes too :)

Madge
07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
You're a wonder, Juz. Thank you. No sign of the password email yet ..... :)

Juz
07-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Madge, Right now the email for the domain isn't working as google apps which is handling it is still waiting for confirmation. I'll send them manually :)

Silentman
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Heaps Juzzie :D

Juz
07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Emails are sent, had to chase down some emotes for us to choose from and add them, so sorry bout the holdup :)

Now I must collapse and sleep

Madge
07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Crikey - you were up late, Juz. I'm in - and I even managed to find howto change my password - eventually. :rolleyes:

Cartuneman has deserted us for the time being. Who can shout loudest? ;)

Juz
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Hiya guys, i'm still tweaking some of the ATC forum to make it easier for people to upload. Could you guys indicate whether or not you've changed your passwords.. just so i can verify there's no big security issues before anyone puts their work up. :)

UPDATE: I've added a big huge button at the top of the Home Page named 'Upload your trading card pic here'... clicking that will take you through to the edit post window :)

UPDATE: I've uploaded my picture but its a little tricky so i'm currently writing some upload instuctions :)

Silentman
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Yup i haven't visited yet Juz, just let us know when your ready Ok my friend :)

Juz
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Upload instructions: Here are the steps for uploading your Trade Cards. Go for it :D:):cool::D

UPDATE: Just made some changes to make the process easier. Have uploaded the new instructions in place of the old. :)

We'll worry about captions, descriptions etc when people are comfortable with uploading.

If you want to add text commentary to your post its best to do that before uploading the images with the following instructions.

Juz
07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
There is now a tab with upload instructions on the site. :)

juliediane
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
HI all, it's 12:39 am here......I've posted my ATC!!!!!!!!!!

Huggggggggggs, Julie

Juz
07-31-2009, 06:04 PM
I've posted mine too and its goodnight from me as well :)

Madge
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Juz - will now upload mine - I hope ........ :o

I did it! I did it! *gulp* *fans face hurriedly*

This is going to be one fabulous collection! :)

Madge
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Can I just say how thrilled I am to see your artwork being posted. I don't think it was the easiest of subjects but you're certainly doing it justice. I feel like I want to frame them all and hang them in a miniature gallery with white walls and hand round glasses of chilled champagne.

Am looking forward to seeing the rest. Wake up you guys! ;)

Madge
08-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Because it's our deadline day I feel I should add a litle comment about fair usage, etc.

We're all decent fellow Artragers here and we implicitly trust one another - otherwise we wouldn't have taken part in this.

Please be aware that all images are the copyright of the original artists and you may print off one image to make your ATC. All rights reserved. Please don't redistribute the work or print more copies.

ATCS are for personal collections or for trading with others - they are not for sale. There is a small market for ACEOs, which are specifically for selling to those who may not feel able to create their own ATCs, so you may want to do a search for that, if you're interested.

Any questions? :)

wenkat
08-01-2009, 06:06 AM
I have posted mine. I don;t know whether I have posted correctly, too many options and buttons to confuse me! Please tell me whether it is ok. If any incomplete/leftover options to be edited, please go ahead and do it, as I have not changed the password yet.

chambersecrets
08-01-2009, 07:34 AM
alright!! so we post low res version here?:D

Juz
08-01-2009, 11:40 AM
If you feel like showing it off post a low res one here chambersecrets :)

Madge, disclaimer is terrific, thanks :)

Site looks great, the artcards really show nicely against the low-key theme.

Once Silentman, Cartuneman and Gzairborne have posted you can let me know the new theme and i'll update the topic section :)

Silentman
08-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok Ok i'm coming lol, just give me a little bit more time today to tweak a few little things, and i'll post it AHHHHH :eek: lol Scary...... hehehe

screenpainter
08-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I have logged in and changed my password...

I can download... just can't seem to figure out the upload. Maybe my file is too big in size. But can't find any specs on that.

If anyone wants my card and ATC backer pm me I will give you the link.

Silentman
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
It does seem a little more complicated than some sites, but it seems as though you got there in the end Gzair, i seen your painting :)

I have posted mine up today, i'll include the card shortly :)

Madge
08-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Well done everyone - that site sure is tricky - but it did the business! :)

Now - who's going to host the next swap?

Madge
08-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Help - has anyone else tried saving the images and preparing them for printing? I've found they're all coming out low res/too small. I can only think that the blog is reducing them as we post them somehow. *Insert appropriate sweary words here* :confused::(

Juz?

wenkat
08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't tried as I dont have a printer. When I go to town next ( I stay 4hrs drive away) I shall get it printed.
I'm happy that the first-ever ATC project went on well, thanks to all the participants for their contribution!

Turtleman
08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Any hope of getting one of these for august going? I'm keen, I'v always wanted a reason to do a artcard.

screenpainter
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
any image displayed online is 72 dpi or 96 on Windows. I made mine 3 times as big so it can shrink down to the right size at 300 dpi.

Silentman
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
yup i uploaded mine pretty large, you can have my spot Turtleman, i'm gonna be out of the next one i think, too much stuff going on for me :(

Madge
08-04-2009, 08:04 PM
any image displayed online is 72 dpi or 96 on Windows. I made mine 3 times as big so it can shrink down to the right size at 300 dpi.

Hi Gzair - it's made no difference, yours is coming out just as low res and small. I tried a test on my own Blogger blog and that's the same too. Sigh. Maybe we should upload to Flickr? Or take the bull by the horns and upload here - would that work?.

This is turning into a minor nightmare just when I thought we had it sussed! :(

Turtleman
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM

You can upload the image to a 3rd party site like DA to keep the DPI correct.
just make sure there is a DOWLOAD option.

If you don't have a DA account (You should have a DA account, its sweet) you could try a site like imageshack.

screenpainter
08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I used Photobucket to link it. I like them a lot. I also use Google's Picassa web albums.
I didn't care for image shack at all.
I have Deviant Art also, but don't want to post every single thing I do there.

Silentman
08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Imageshack is full of spam, All the shacks are lol, the only friendly non spammed site i've found and use is Flikr, they are the easiest and most comprehensive photo sharing site ever, you can organize content easily into sets, and sharing & linking to forums is a breeze :)

Goldie
08-05-2009, 02:35 AM
I say we just post here, and see how that works...especially since the ATC is done with ArtRage only. It might attract others to participate as well...especially down the road when people might need to drop. And why not show off our cards to the community? :)

wenkat
08-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Here's mine - a low resoluiton-vertion of my ATC submission! (Ref. #61):)

Juz
08-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Hiya guys... Make sure you click through to the large image to download. If there is not enough rez in the pictures, that happened at the 'creation' point of the file... (i.e/ people did not create the file at the right size to begin with), therefore uploading it anywhere else will make NO difference whatsoever. There is a couple I know were set up wrong (size and dpi) to begin with. Also there is a known bug with exporting straight to .PNG from artrage (the dpi above 72 is lost), so if any of you did that, it is there that you lost your dpi. Instead, export to photoshop, and from photoshop save as .png.

The fullsize image is NOT changed in anyway when uploaded. Hope this helps :)

@silentman, please let me know if you are continuing. I'll need to change security if you are not. Thx.

Turtleman
08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm doing a series of these, if anyone wants to trade some of these for mine, pm me.

Madge
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hiya guys... Make sure you click through to the large image to download. If there is not enough rez in the pictures, that happened at the 'creation' point of the file... (i.e/ people did not create the file at the right size to begin with), therefore uploading it anywhere else will make NO difference whatsoever. There is a couple I know were set up wrong (size and dpi) to begin with. Also there is a known bug with exporting straight to .PNG from artrage (the dpi above 72 is lost), so if any of you did that, it is there that you lost your dpi. Instead, export to photoshop, and from photoshop save as .png.

The fullsize image is NOT changed in anyway when uploaded. Hope this helps :)

@silentman, please let me know if you are continuing. I'll need to change security if you are not. Thx.

Thanks Juz - I was simply right-clicking on the page images. D'oh! Now I can go back and get the bigger ones. I certainly uploaded the full res version of mine. :)

I'll say it again - Phew! :o

Madge
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Turtleman - thanks for your interest - sorry you were too late for this one - maybe you'd like to host a new swap? :)

Silentman
08-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Madge am i too understand there won't be another swap organised by you, this was your thing, i was hoping like all the others it would continue :(

I over reacted in an earlier post, i am just so busy this month, but i would rather not give up my spot because i enjoyed it so much, i'll make some time lol :p;) :D

Please don't give up on it, don't let the size thing get you down, this time we just need to be aware "myself included" that we need to create our paintings with the settings at 300 ppi and not save out as PNG, but rather save as PSD and resize it with Photoshop, if some don't have Photoshop i would be more than happy to resize paintings for them.

Come one lets give it another shot AYE, don't let good things die ;) :D

wenkat
08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm with Silentman on this. Madge, please let us continue the porject and we're with you for taking it to next level. if you're pressed wtih time, share the reins with some avid enthusiasts like Silentman....:) Anyway, we got to march on.....

Madge
08-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks Silentman and Wenkat - both for your support and your enthusiasm. I was hoping that someone else would start a swap, with a new subject - their rules. I'm happy to take part but having got the idea rolled out, I'd prefer to take a back seat.

So - how about it? :)

Silentman
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Ok well Turtleman has started one, so i guess it's over to you Turtleman, i am concerned though with the amount of work this will create for Juz, so if you wouldn't mind pitching in here Juz with your point of view regarding the ArtRage Cards forum and the passwords, security and what not that would be great :)

Other than that i'll go sign up too Turtlemans one and then i guess it would be good to rotate responsibility for each month, i really like having a theme though and i did suggest Buildings, on the Art Card forums, so, if we could do something with that i'd be crazy about it, i'm trying to ge the hang of 2 point and 3 point perspective at the moment lol

Madge
08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok well Turtleman has started one, so i guess it's over to you Turtleman, i am concerned though with the amount of work this will create for Juz, so if you wouldn't mind pitching in here Juz with your point of view regarding the ArtRage Cards forum and the passwords, security and what not that would be great :)

Other than that i'll go sign up too Turtlemans one and then i guess it would be good to rotate responsibility for each month, i really like having a theme though and i did suggest Buildings, on the Art Card forums, so, if we could do something with that i'd be crazy about it, i'm trying to ge the hang of 2 point and 3 point perspective at the moment lol

Thanks Silentman - I agree and I'm wondering about Juz's involvement too, but maybe Turtelman is organising that aspect too.

I think it's best to have a subject - it helps concentrate the mind somehow and stretches us into new territory. Buildings would be a great one. :)

Turtleman
08-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Its not a issue, I will be setting up a website for the people in the trade to veiw each others works. This website will be passworded and wont have anything to do with this forum aka no work for juz for the admin side of things.

What happens is that you email your card to me, I upload it to the website or I can email to the others in one big mass email with everyone attached. that way, it keeps the dpi high and is easier for everyone.