PDA

View Full Version : Greenback

Sketchism71
07-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone... Been a while since my last post and I would like to apologize to any art I may not have commented on in the past few weeks. I have been busy busy busy. I still try to get here when I can and at least check things out. There has been some awesome posts lately.

This is a Greenback Cut Throat Trout. It's the Colorado state fish and I painted this for my son who is learning to fly fish. The Greenback is a protected species of trout and is the only native form of trout to Colorado. All Greenbacks are catch and release (not that I need to worry about that the way my fishing has been going lately...lol) Thanks for checking it out!:)

Gimnir
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Beautiful colors and lighting. I am amazed at the detail you have put in.

screenpainter
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
wow! that is some really amazing work Sketch! Beautiful and perfect job on the fish. It looks professionally done... really awesome work. The colors are amazing also and you really get a sense of being in there up close under water. Love the light streaks on his {her} back. :)

Sketchism71
07-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Thank you Gimner!:)
Thank you gzairborne!:D

yachris
Beautiful one Sketch!

Mairzie Dotes
Sketchism,
What a gorgeous painting this is. You have made a Greenback a work
of beautiful art. Oh the wonders of creative minds mixed with artful
talent. Love those lush colors and details. So well painted! :)

byroncallas
07-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Sketch, he's a beauty. You captured that intense moment as he's about to take the bait. It gives the painting an exciting energy the way his body has swirled to strike, mouth open with aggressive intent. All that not to mention the superb detailing and the real sense of peering through the murky depths.
Terrific.

I've missed you. Was a terrific hit to wake up and find your new post. :D:):cool:

coops
07-12-2009, 02:54 AM
What a wonderful painting Sketchism. The fish looks so alive and well, lets hope that he swims on forever he's such a lovely guy. Well done

Madge
07-12-2009, 03:39 AM
What a catch! Beautiful, beautiful work. ;)

ScottF
07-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Glad to see you found some time to paint again! This is very fine indeed! Until I read your description I was thinking, well here´s lunch. :)

Ailaya
07-12-2009, 05:39 AM
This is outstanding! It's the moment every fisherman waits for, the moment right before that instant adrenaline rush when the fish bites onto the bait, and now we get to see what that moment looks like from the fish's point of view. There's so much energy in this painting, much of it dormant and waiting for that fish to finally decide whether to take the bait or not. The colors and lighting are beautiful and exceptionally well done. It's just a masterpiece. And now I think I shall soon take a much needed fishing trip ;):D

weembaman
07-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Very well done..Love the detail in this one...:)

Sketchism71
07-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you yachris!:D

Thank you for the words Mairzie... I always look forward to your beautiful pink poetry:D:D

Byron, thank you for the comments. This was a fun one to do and I don't even need to kill it to have it mounted on my wall.:D I have missed you as well and the interaction that is so fantastic here on AR! I will be back to full speed here soon...I can't believe summer is half over! Yikes!:eek:

Thank you Coops! Don't worry about this fish... They have proven all summer that they are much smarter than me.:D:D

Madge, thank you for the comment!:D

Thank you ScottF! LOL... That would have been a great name for the painting "Here's Lunch":D

Thank you Ailaya. I remember now that you enjoy fishing! You described the moment perfectly. By the way, your novel is fantastic, you are extremely talented with writing and painting! Now go catch a fish!:D

Weembaman, Thank you for the comment:D

foxytocin
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Sketch, you sure got the feel of
underwater light....great green tones and very enjoyable painting...

radar
07-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Really nice, sketchism71, well done!!.

Rob Kulas

Lima
07-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Striking image:eek: that redish tones just complemented the composition. Totally agree with the commentaries.

fraser_paice
07-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Great picture mate... and about as close as I'm going to get this year...

Sketchism71
07-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Thank you Foxytocin for the kind words!:D

Thank you for checking it out radar!:D

Thank you orianelima! Yes, I worked a bit at the reddish color to keep the color red yet still appear to be surrounded by the greenish water. Thank you for noticing that. :):)

Thank you for checking it out Fraser! After seeing the photo in D Akey's latest post, I can understand why you have not had any time to fish!:):)

flyashy
07-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Whoa ho ho!
This is brilliant sketch!
Is this also done with that magic crayon?

Bobbyray
07-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Wow, OK, I am ready to go fishin.... but all I ever catch is sharks here. Mon. Love the art!

Sketchism71
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Fly! Yes, I did use the "magic" crayon on the majority of it...some of the smaller detail in the fish I used pencil. The background gradient in the water was extremely difficult to achieve with the crayon because of the large size of the painting (14" x 17" at 200 dpi). The crayon tool even at 100% size is tiny on a painting of this size. So...unable to figure out how to cover a large area with my favorite tool...uurrrg:mad: I ended up using a gradient stencil with the paint roller. So if you or anybody has any suggestions on achieving smooth gradients over large areas without using a stencil would be awesome and I will keep experimenting. Thank you for the comment!

Thank you for checking it out Bobbyray! I would love to try some saltwater fly fishing where you live... That would be a blast!

Juz
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Absolutely beautiful, the pose and look of the fish is spot on. I love the stylized caustics too :)

SCP
07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
G'day Sketch I haven't been active on the forums for a few days,sorry I missed this one.Fantastic painting mate,really well done!;):)

Caesar
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Amazingly dynamic symphony of greens. I can hardly believe You used a reference, since You were the fisher, thus out of the water:D; this makes it even more stunning!:eek::)

Sketchism71
07-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Juz, Scp, and Caesar thank you for checking it out!:D

sandyg
11-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Stunning fish Sketch, love the whole lively scene. Well done.
Sandyg.

pat1940
01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi Sketch, glad your posting again, this is a beautiful painting, the colors are superb, wonderful job;););):):):)

Sketchism71
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Thank you for checking it out Pat and for the great comment!:D