PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow ArtRagers!

JonHodgson
07-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Hi All,
I thought it was about time I showed some of the work I've been doing in ArtRage hereabouts. I absolutely love the software, and am a wild eyed evangelist for all things ArtRage!

Here are some paintings I've done using mostly ArtRage - hopefully I have correctly negotiated the attachment manager! Apologies in advance if I made a mess of it. I use Painter and Photoshop too, but the backbone of these is ArtRage.

This first one is for the cover of a roleplaying game supplement called Friends or Foes, for the newly reissued classic Brit rpg Dragon Warriors. The next was the first full painting I used a large proportion of ArtRage for. And the last is a cover for another roleplaying game supplement called New Beginnings, to be published by d101 Games

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to any comments or questions you might have! :)

byroncallas
07-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Wonderful. These are fantastic - all imaginative and so well done. You certainly have great skill. Welcome to the forum. Much look forward to seeing more of your works. :)

Madge
07-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Superb work. I'm so glad you felt happy to show your work here. I look forward to seeing more and maybe you'll feel able to share a tutorial or two in the future, for those of us who can only dream of such skill!

irishrose
07-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Your illustrative talents are superb! There is a person on this forum, Boxy, who would love to see this, and I hope he does. He also does illustrations. I love your work!

weembaman
07-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Welcome..Your work is excellent..:)

Bobbyray
07-11-2009, 05:14 AM
And the winner is....... YOU! To say Excellent artworks is an under statement. WOW! OK, I am outa words.... congratulations. I do hope to see more of your art in the future as you can. Thanks for sharing with us.

Caesar
07-11-2009, 05:26 AM
WOW! I bow in front of Your capability and skills! Welcome in here! I've got some other big opportunity to learn more about painting and drawing, considering Your outstanding results!

JonHodgson
07-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Wow thanks for the extremely warm welcome!

Annoyingly enough I have a whole host of very recent work which uses ArtRage, which I'd love to share, but unfortunately the publisher isn't going to let me do that until the product is announced. It's setting will be a very familiar name for anyone into fantasy. But hey I just have to be patient!

I'll see what I can do with regards to some tutorials. I do keep stage by stage saves for most of what I do, so I'm sure I can dredge up something!

In the mean time here's a piece which features some Artrage, (along with Painter and Photoshop) published by Paizo Publishing for their Pathfinder Chronicles periodical. The image is (C)2009 Paizo Publishing.

As an aside, if (in the unlikely event) there were to be any interest in using this particular to promote ArtRage, I'd need to clear it with the owners.

coops
07-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Welcome Jon and wow what great paintings. I like them all very much. Great job.

Mairzie Dotes
07-12-2009, 02:45 AM
JohnHodgson,
These paintings are wondrously fantastic in both artistry and imagination.
Can't help but visualize an adventurous tale of fantasy and intrigue being
played out in each enticing scene. Exceptionally well painted! :)

byroncallas
07-12-2009, 03:12 AM
I hope you'll let us now when the work is published and where we can find it.
I also hope you post those tutorials. Your work is simply outstanding. :D

foxytocin
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh, please do keep sharing future artwork with us. These are quite the visual/imagination treat.

screenpainter
07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
You are an amazing artist! It is good to know that you are using artrage as the foundation. These are utterly amazing. Fantastic work.

JonHodgson
07-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks All, much appreciated!
Its been a hectic week here, so apologies for the late response from this end! I'm feeling a little more comfortable so I should really start commenting on others' work, eh? Don't like to leap in too readily until I shown a few of mine!

OK, so I dug up another ArtRage based cover from my archives - this is one I did earlier in the year for classic German roleplaying game Das Schwarze Auge.

Thanks for looking!

byroncallas
07-18-2009, 04:40 AM
I love the new entry. It is a wonderful piece of work. I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping to see your next post. This was worth the wait. You are very talented. :)

weembaman
07-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Welcome...Your paintings are Awesome to say the least...You surely have a great talent...:):)

jbyrjbyr1
07-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the forum and kudos on a terrific body of work, worthy of praise, study and just plain enjoyment (I plan on doing all three). And if you ever positively absolutely no-arguments-about-it INSIST on creating tutorials...well, it would be rude of me to complain :D.

jb

Mairzie Dotes
07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
JonHodgson.
Much fantastic artistry happening here. The latest painting is a gripping
tale of exciting thrills being played out on canvas. Wonderful! :)

Juz
07-18-2009, 08:58 AM
How on earth did I miss this thread?
OMG drop dead gorgeous works.... amazing how much depth you create.
I'm a huge fan of RPG's and Artrage, so these are a real treat :D:)
Welcome, thanks so much for sharing and I'm really looking forward to seeing more.:)

SCP
07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Fantastic works,really like your last addition.;):)

MaryS.Hines
07-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Welcome to AR, Jon ..your paintings are awesome...look forward to seeing more from you..:)

Lima
07-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Jonh your art is spectacular:eek:. Composition, color, contrast, light... wow:eek:

RobertSWade
07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Welcome to here Jon. What an incredible ambassador you are for the ArtRage software. Wonderful images. :)

Sketchism71
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
These are mind-blowing and so very well done! Love it!

cartuneman
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
wow! man I'm a fan, your work rocks my friend. I'd love to just sit and look over your shoulder

screenpainter
07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
yes... wow! :)

Eileen724
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
What an incredible artistic talent you have! All of these paintings are spellbinding, creative, fantastic and enchanting to say the very least! I am so glad I found this thread...it was sheer pleasure to see all your wonderful works!!!

JonHodgson
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, thanks again folks. I'm humbled by the warm response.

Hey, I just recorded an ArtRage speed paint on ustream, which you can view here:

ustream.tv/recorded/1861443

I don't yet have enough posts to post a url, so sadly you will have to cut and paste that into your browser.

You can see me paint this super-quick face in profile, and hear me waffle on with some tips. Sadly the resolution on ustream isn't perfect, but if you watch it small its not too bad!

Thanks again!

screenpainter
07-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's your speedpaint link. (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1861443)
Great speedpaint. Loved watching that. :)

JonHodgson
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for posting my link! Much appreciated, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm about to start on something a little more planned and well conceived than that test run. But still, the basic method is all there, before I completely run down what I've done so far!

chambersecrets
07-25-2009, 05:38 PM
amazing work! Plz keep posting more. Its nice to what you can do and what can be done on artrage. great work!!:D:eek:

Fashmir
07-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok as happens too often I missed this one when you posted it. Welcome and wow! Nice work. I love this genre of imagery and fiction. You've got a knack for making images that don't look like everyone else's take on the genre. There is something fresh and unexplored in what you've presented us with that leaves me wanting to see more. Keep posting.

Krondelo
07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Wooows.. Awesome work man.

Caesar
07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Master JonHodgson, once again my most heartfelt compliments and thanks for Your absolutely enjoyable and masterful pieces!

Rob in Denver
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I am usually not all that fond of this sort of Genre, but your work rises to a level that anyone would appreciate and applaud. I hope to see lots more, it just draws you in. Amazingly well done!

JonHodgson
08-19-2009, 03:26 AM
How rude! Lots of lovely comments and not a word from me! I'm most sorry. Thank you for all the kind words. Here's another recent piece which features some ArtRage. A twist on Constable's Haywain, for the cover of "Cthulhu Britannia" about to be publihsed by Cubicle 7 Entertainment.

The image is (C)2009 Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.

Alexandra
08-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi John, I don't know everyone here yet, and I am so glad to view your paintings today. Incredible and a delight to view! Thank you for sharing with us.:)

sandyg
08-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi John,
Just read through the thread viewing your incredible art along the way, thanks for sharing this fantastic art.

sabena
08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
hi JonHodgson

the last painting is fabulous:eek: you are a great artist :D

ENCHANTER
08-20-2009, 02:39 AM
wow, brilliant stuff..........:D

Gray
08-20-2009, 03:25 AM
RPG + AR = win

Mairzie Dotes
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM
JohnHodgson,
Your portrait painting and recent piece are both wonderful.
I feel emotionally drawn to the face of the man in the portrait
and pulled in by the whimsey of the second work. You are
quite talented. :)

Lima
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Amazing :eek::eek::eek:

screenpainter
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Fantastic! wow. Beautiful work. I love the fact that it could pass for a classical art piece even though it has a more fantasy bent. :)

Evart
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow,:eek: what a lovely work of art, a masterpiece!!!

JonHodgson
08-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks one and all! Most generous!

I'll be back with more work as and when I am allowed to show it by my evil publisher overlords! (I love them really. I have to say that. No I'm joking, I do love them really. Honest.)

JonHodgson
08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Here's one I managed to find time to paint for myself this week. It's interesting (to me at least) how this one has been received around the net. It is meant to be amibiguous, but in some places viewers were 100% convinced of one reading, whereas in other places everyone thought it was depicting something entirely different. Which either makes it really open to interpretation, or really badly done! ;)

Mostly ArtRage, probably 85%. Then some Painter for fine marks and mixed opacity square ended brushes, and Photoshop for tonal control and very fine marks.

Please do click the preview image below to see it properly displayed. Thanks for looking in!

Mairzie Dotes
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
JonHodgson,
Am attempting to translate my thoughts into words about this amazing,
thought provoking painting so please bare with me. I became overcome
with chills when viewing it because I did not know wether to want to
save this man or take his hand and become airborne with him. A range of
conflicting emotions swept over me to the point that it was hard to pull
myself away from metaphorically experiencing this gripping journey of flight
forward to either heart wrenching finality or soulful release and freedom!

I somehow though seem to sense the emotion of spiritual lifting of all
earthly burdens and a new and oh so glorious beginning ... a new day ...
a new horizon beckons.

This is, without doubt, one of the the most impressive, poignant, heart
wrenching, touching and most glorious paintings that I have ever seen
or experienced. I want to cry and sing Hallelujah ... all at the same time.
The artistry is exceptional ... cannot stop viewing this wonder... a visit
into the very soul of humanity this is. :)

P.S.
Do you have a title for this painting?

screenpainter
08-26-2009, 05:20 PM
A messenger runs out of the darkness and into the light. Interesting that the word angel means messenger. He seems to somehow travel quite rapidly lightly sometimes above the ground. To me it's quite a brilliant painting. A masterpiece. Much is open to individual interpretation it would seem.

sabena
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
HI JonHodgson
fantastic painting:D

dali
08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
This work is beautiful! I can't say enough about artrage, being another evangelist to the software. I can't tell you how thrilling it is to see it used with this genre. It continuously amazes me to see how people are using it in their work, and I think you have done a superb job. 10 STARS!:D

Belvrog
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Jon, welcome here. Absolutely fantastic paintings, all of them. The last one is my favorite. Love it.

JonHodgson
02-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi all, I've been away for so long! I'm really enjoying getting to grips with ArtRage 3, and am currently writing a tutorial for ArtRage watercolours for Digital Artist magazine, so watch out for that!

Just flying by to show some new works that I am allowed to share by my publisher, in this case Uhrwerk Verlag in Germany. All fantasy stuff as usual! Hope you enjoy them!

My other exciting news that I can now share after months of having to keep my lip buttoned is that I'm working on artwork for a new Lord of the Rings rpg, with my illustrations supporting those of the master illustrator John Howe, so I'm very excited about that. I've been using ARtRage to make a significant proportion of the work so far, so I'll be sure to pop back with some of that once I'm allowed to.

Evart
02-14-2010, 07:07 AM
This is perfect artwork Jon!

Caesar
02-14-2010, 07:40 AM
So glad You're back, dear Jon, with Your amazing jewels!

D Akey
02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I thought this thread looked familiar. If I didn't say it before, let me now say this is truly remarkable. It's both fun and very inspirational to me as an artist because you are beautifully solving many of the problems I was faced with as an illustrator.

You have a great sense of space, excellent drawing skills, while including all that detail with color in a way that is both full yet unselfconscious.

The story's the thing with you. It's perfect balance for helping people visualize the myriad possibilities that role playing games offer.

Thank you for sharing it. Made my day I can tell you.

JOSEPHINE.EARP
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
All I can say is wooooooooow I just wish I had a 1000 th of the talent you have.Best wishes Jo x

JonHodgson
03-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks as ever one and all. :)

Some more! The first two are from Paizo Publishing's Kingmaker Adventure Path Series, and are (C)2010 Paizo Publishing. The last one is all mine. :)

Weeks
03-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Jon,

First time i see your work...

:eek::eek: Fantastic Comic job style:eek::eek:

I'm a fan.

Best,

Weeks

mannafig
03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
WOW these are fantastic:):)

jibes
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
You do some fine work! Excellent stuff!

ARTGEEK
03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
WOW!!!!!! Your work is amazing!!! I'm a huge fantasy(D&D) fan. Do you have any tutorials? Can't wait to see more of your work. WOW!:)

Caesar
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank You for coming back again and go on sharing Your marvellous works, dear mate!

FireFytingNut
03-03-2010, 10:53 PM
OMGOSH! Great great paintings John! WOW! I'm amazed! Beautiful work.

JonHodgson
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks again everyone! (I seem to say that a lot!). I thought for once I'd make the effort to come back into the thread before months have passed. This is such a positive forum, I wish I could find more time to just hang out.

ARTGEEK: I do have various tutorials around, but I'm working on a more ArtRage specific one, which I will post here when it is done, as well as Deviant art. My account there is (imaginatively): http://jonhodgson.deviantart.com/

Alexandra
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
What a thrill to view your work Jon. Excellent in every way.:)

Boxy
03-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Holy bajingers. Amazing work Jon! :)
Cheers
Boxy

Krondelo
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm going to have to say you are the most influential painter! You make me want to give art rage another chance, I just struggle with the program to make what I want but these are amazing and truly inspirational. :D

Albert
03-17-2010, 11:35 PM
welcome......i'm quite amazed that you used artrage to do all of this art.......cheers :)

JonHodgson
03-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks so much one and all! I'm happy you're enjoying the work, and to hear my paintings are inspiring you to keep at it is wonderful.

Here's one I completed recently for the forthcoming Dragon Warriors players book. This is almost completely ArtRage.

Alexandra
03-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Excellent Jon. So happy that you are sharing these fantastic works with us!:)

coops
03-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Wow Jon thats terrific. You certainly have a wonderful way with AR, it great:)

PVIllustration
03-20-2010, 08:01 AM
fantastic show you got going in this thread, Jon. Can't wait to see more.

cheers,
Peter

Eileen724
03-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow, Jon.....you're one of several artists in this forum that have simply captivated me with your fantasy artwork! I never gave it much thought until I came on board to this forum and saw several talented artists, like yourself, do absolutely stunning and incredible pieces of work using ArtRage. I can't wait to see your tutorial depicting your techniques and usage of AR!

JonHodgson
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you once more!

Here's something less overworked. The new AR watercolours are really wonderful.

When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.

That will be ere the set of sun.

Where the place?

Upon the heath.

There to meet with Macbeth.

justjean
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Stunning and beautiful work, :D

JonHodgson
05-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Hey All.

I've been super busy with work, but I managed to squeeze just enough time to make this one for myself. I'm working on some illustrations for a new tabletop roleplaying game based around The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, although this piece isn't for that project, it certainly is inspired by it.

Cheers!

Caesar
05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
So many fantastic illustration and stunners. Thank You for sharing them with us dear mate! You're a real master!

eighty+
05-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi don't know much fantasy art but I think the 1st one would look better if you had little more light in background i e moonllight on snow

Docsmith626
05-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Puts me in mind of Old Man Willow. :D:D:D:D:D

javier
05-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, you do a great job congratulations.:):):):)

Alexandra
05-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Outstanding Jon! I enjoy your images so much!:):):):):)

Lima
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Jon, fantatastic work. Congratulations.

hanzz
05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Your work is way beyound Brilliant !

(Never mind my jaw,it bounced out of it's sockets whilst browsing it. I will pick it up again later.....)

rozalek
05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
your imagintion is endless! all the sceneries will come to my dreams really soon. very impressive and finished in the smallest details. wow!

pai
05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
excellent work again. :) always like to see your work especially this piece about LOTR. just wonder if this piece is all done in Artrage.

JonHodgson
05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks as ever guys! Much obliged.

excellent work again. :) always like to see your work especially this piece about LOTR. just wonder if this piece is all done in Artrage.

Pai, yup almost entirely. There's a couple of texture layers scanned from real paintings which are evident towards the top of the piece, and there's some textural marks around the bottom which I did in Painter since it's just a tiny bit faster than using a stencil in AR to achieve the same effect. I adjusted my tones a little in Photoshop at the end. But otherwise all ArtRage.

Oops - tell a lie - I did the initial sketch in PS, but could have just as easily used the ink pen in AR.

screenpainter
05-29-2010, 11:50 PM
What a joy to catch up on your work. Fantastic. wow. The LOTR piece is amazing. Always a delight to see your artistic skill.

Lando
05-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Stylish very well done, congratulations!

JonHodgson
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey All,
Once again I have been off in the wilderness for a while to return with some stuff I caught and killed.

I've busy banging the ArtRage drum across the intarwebz. I made this video of one of these pieces being created, and I have a wealth of other videos just waiting for client approval to hit the net. Stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG10yOxMYw

JonHodgson
08-26-2010, 01:42 AM
A couple of new ones. One is very new - the cliffs and zombies is fresh from the drawing board. The other one is a few months older. Interestingly enough they have almost identical palettes. Hope you like 'em!

Bobbi
08-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I have to admit that the subject matter isn't my thing, but I have to say the execution of these drawings is excellent. Did you do these in Art Rage? If so, it amazes me what can be done with the program.

JonHodgson
08-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks Bobbi - yeah these are 80 to 90% ArtRage, with a little Photoshop for final polish and tonal control. It's a powerful program and no mistake!

Mairzie Dotes
08-26-2010, 02:29 AM
JonHodgson,
If I didn't know better, I would swear that the first painting has just
cast the viewer in yet another "Indiana Jones" type movie. Absolutely
amazing artistry and it's all there, intrigue and adventure, good versus
evil, magic, allure and the quest for sacred treasures but attainable if
only by sheer desire and will.

The second piece ... oh my! ... dreams of museful fantasy come true.
Enchanting artful incantations of whimsical tales of yore, an unimaginable
place of romance imagined, now real. I have been captured and captivated
with the grand artistic flamboyance of these pieces. Simply outstanding :)

RegnR8
08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Jon! I had no idea you used ArtRage. Great work man! Glad you've joined the forums here. I have a bad habit of coming in and commenting fro a few days, then disappear for a while and then return. I'm in my return faze. I've played around with Painter and Photoshop but for ease of use and simply loving the way the program works, I come back to ArtRage again and again!

Good to see you here! I hope we can work on something together in the very near future.

Jasminek
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Wonderful work with so much, incredible details, well done.:)

SADCLOWN
08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
good work .i like it .

waheednasir
08-26-2010, 06:23 PM
good work..:).

jacktar51
08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Jon...Pleased to see such excellent works using Artrage,your pictures here are very good and inspires me a lot as I like fantasy stuff myself, I am amazed that I havent seen this thread before, better late than never,thank you for posting this amazing artwork, I look forward to more....Jack.

Jules
08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Like!

Hey Jon, cool work, is this a matte painting? The first two images reminds me of York with it's shambles and minster type building in the background, did you use it as a reference? Good luck with this and well done. Oh and glad your enjoying the software ;)

Jules
08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
How rude! Lots of lovely comments and not a word from me! I'm most sorry. Thank you for all the kind words. Here's another recent piece which features some ArtRage. A twist on Constable's Haywain, for the cover of "Cthulhu Britannia" about to be publihsed by Cubicle 7 Entertainment.

The image is (C)2009 Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.

omg thats the best painting ive ever seen used with Artrage and thats saying something!!! Ive been here 4 years! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool:

JonHodgson
08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks all! Everyone here is so nice! I'm always struck by it.

Hey I thought you might be interested in a video I just put together showing some of how I use ArtRage for underpaintings using tracing images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OwoLHx6to

misterpaint
08-27-2010, 09:24 AM
GREAT!!!! Jonh! you are great!! This video is amazing :D thx thx thx
See you in deviantart ^_^

RegnR8
08-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Nice tutorial Jon!

RegnR8
08-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Jon, I have a question for you. What size do you start a painting, say a cover or full page interior (inches or pixels it doesn't matter) and what DPI? I've found my computer doesn't like to work at 300 DPI so I have to work at 200 DPI and then resize it when I am about 90% finished and then add details to that.

mikejl
08-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Love the work Jon! I love to do fantasy art and you work has inspired to go do more. And love the under-painting video; great tips and inspiring work.
I look forward to seeing more.

:D

screenpainter
08-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Fantastic artwork Jon. Amazing!!! The two latest ones are jaw-dropping, breathtaking, beyond superlatives. Love your ability to make so many figures work in a composition and all in perspective and the depth of field in that castle piece is just amazing. That's talented. Great work!

javier
08-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Congratulations your work is very good.:):):):)

Alexandra
08-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Wonderful talent, wonderful to view.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Valerie
08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Welcome your work is awesome
Val

mannafig
08-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Like them I love them they are both terrific:):)

JonHodgson
09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jon, I have a question for you. What size do you start a painting, say a cover or full page interior (inches or pixels it doesn't matter) and what DPI? I've found my computer doesn't like to work at 300 DPI so I have to work at 200 DPI and then resize it when I am about 90% finished and then add details to that.

Hi Darryl, this last multifigure one was 3400 x 4400, which is print size at 400dpi - I kept it modest because I knew it was going to be mostly ArtRage which just runs smoother at smaller sizes. No point in vexing myself by deliberately making lag.

If I'm using primarily other software a bit more I'd work bigger - probably print size at 600. I generally try to avoid upscaling where possible due to the inevitable loss of quality. I'm working with 4 gig of RAM in a pretty new iMac, so I'm lucky enough to be able to work big.

In other news, here's another little video I made using stencils and wash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1kkWrxvgo

iggy2000
09-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I really like em, cool:

RegnR8
09-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Hi Darryl, this last multifigure one was 3400 x 4400, which is print size at 400dpi - I kept it modest because I knew it was going to be mostly ArtRage which just runs smoother at smaller sizes. No point in vexing myself by deliberately making lag.

If I'm using primarily other software a bit more I'd work bigger - probably print size at 600. I generally try to avoid upscaling where possible due to the inevitable loss of quality. I'm working with 4 gig of RAM in a pretty new iMac, so I'm lucky enough to be able to work big.

o.O! My computer would totally freeze up at that! I have a 5 year old computer, so I don't have that luxury. I've never even tried to do anything at 600 dpi! I may try it just to see how much it stutters and chokes. ArtRage definitely runs better on my set up that Photoshop.

Lima
09-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Jon, outstanding work. Congratulations.

Caesar
09-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I would re-iterate my great admiration, dear mate! Such neat and fantastic images are really impressive and enjoyable!

JonHodgson
06-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, it has been too long!

So over the last couple of months some images from the forthcoming Middle Earth project I have been working on these last 2 years have started to be released, so I am able to share them at last. Lots of ArtRage in these.

Please click the images to see them larger and less compressed.

Alexandra
06-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Wow! Amazing work Jon, amazing talent!:eek: (hands clapping):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

pat1940
06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
WOW Jon, I am in awe, what a talent you have, cant wait to see more, superb work;);););););););):):):):):):):)

limey-g
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow your paintings are amazing and I for one certainly welcome seeing more of your work in the future, and possibly learning from any tutorials that you share with us.
Geoff

Caesar
06-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Hello, dear master Hodgson! We missed Your stunning artpieces for quite some time in here! Thank You so much for sharing these new fantastic works of Your art! :eek::cool::):):):):)

Boxy
06-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Amazing paintings Jon. :)

kenmo
06-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Great stuff Jon...

fornes
06-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Very nice, and fun to see someone working professionally with Artrage.:):)

Jasper
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
A lot on detail on every painting :eek: .The atmosphere from these paintings are amazing. When i see this i want to grab my d20's and start playing ;).

gioulin
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
amazing stuff! Nice work with the enviroment!!

I've been playing Lineage II ,WoW, Forsaken World,and more.

I know that game graphics can do incredible improvements for graphics but i also think that there are not many things to improve! lol!

Love your work , keep going! You creating marvelous environment ,witch is soooo important for games.
I wish i could do those things too! ^^,

gxhpainter2
06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
jon - superlative art and great visualization of complex scenes.... totally amazing work... a real pleasure to see.:):):):):D:cool::cool::cool:

Mairzie Dotes
06-02-2011, 09:38 PM
JonHodgson,
From out of the mind and brush of an artist can come the most amazing
expressions and WOW! ... your latest paintings are absolutely riveting!
I cannot help but also move beyond the fantasy themes and stare in
amazement at the artistry involved. I am not a game player but don't
have to be in this case because my imagination is doing all of the
dungeons and dragons work just viewing these dramatic pieces! Utterly
exceptional! :)

dupart55
06-09-2011, 02:13 AM
I love your work, great skill, great talent, great imagination.

JonHodgson
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
:)

The Lord of the Rings game I spoke about here some time ago goes on sale tomorrow. Loads of artrage used on these pieces!

You can learn more about the game here: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/

I chat about the influences on the art here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPsSE1vyMBw

And there's an hour of video showing the roundhouse piece from sketch to completion with er ample commentary here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJonHodgson

Phew!

Thanks for looking in!

misterpaint
08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
OMG!!! O_O WOW!! fantastic works! I love your style Jon! :eek:

mannafig
08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Simply amazing Jon:):)

Caesar
08-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Incredibly outstanding images! A likely world in a fantastic personal and unique style!

Sparkybrown
08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
You need to be in the Best of Artrage section. Especially the creative way you apply stencils. I just watched the videos you've posted on your website. The Aero Maid is amazing, and the little video about how to use texture stencils is just fantastic.

I will be applying this to my own work. love the part...

"USE MR. PAINT CANVASES! Mr. Paint canvases ROOOOCK!" ... well something like that.

Cheers.
~SB

JonHodgson
07-07-2014, 02:41 AM
Well now it's been a long time! How's everyone been?

I'm still using Artrage for almost all my commercial work. Here's some newer paintings from the last couple of years.

All images ©2013 and ©2014 Sophisticated Games and Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.

Please click the images to see them a little less compressed/sharpened.

Nazgūl:
Cover to "Rivendell"
Cover to "The Darkening of Mirkwood"
Cover to "The Heart of the Wild"

Boxy
07-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Amazing work Jon!

gxhpainter2
07-07-2014, 04:40 AM
Jon nice to get treated to your fantastic works, I like the way you build depth within a limited range of hues and values.. with excellent drawing skills of course..!

JonHodgson
07-07-2014, 06:01 AM
Thanks to you both!

Caesar
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi Jon, our dear fantasy illustrations superstar! Nice to ahve You back pal! Your artpieces are exceptional, mastery and mood merge perfectly together.

SCP
07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Always great to see your work,very nice additions !

Alexandra
07-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Always a pleasure viewing your beautiful fantasy artwork, Jon, thank you!

kenmo
07-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Very nice Jon...always a pleasure to view your work....

D Akey
07-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Excellent! Glad you posted again. Allowed me to revisit all the pics you've posted. Great fun to view. Congratulations again on a super style.

Syl49
07-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Wonderful paintings!

pai
07-08-2014, 05:42 AM
I love LOTR arts from all different artists. So happy to see another great paintings of LOTR from you. Stunning works and details in all your last three paintings above. I especially love the last one "Heart of the Wild". Like it a lot :)

coops
07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
More great work and so much fun to look through, well done:)