PDA

View Full Version : Colours of ArtRagers - palette thread (UPDATE - Request Your Palette)

Juz
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi ragers

After creating a master palette for Oriane (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showpost.php?p=195797&postcount=104), I got some feedback that suggested people might like to try out each others colours.

So in my spare time I will endeavour to create master colour palettes for the more active forum contributors.

In order to make a master palette, I download and factor in every image in a persons gallery in order to batch out the 64 most frequently used colours.

If theres anyone who for any reason who does not want me to do this for them, just send me a quick PM with your name as the subject and 'no palette for me' as the message.

Because some gallery pieces were only ever intended for monitor (rgb) output (eg for web, video, photoframe, multimedia, animation) there will be colours that are 'out of cmyk gamut' turn up in the list of 64. These values will be indicated in highlighted yellow. If you start observing these colours and their values you can train your eye to easily see colours that err from the printable cmyk gamut.

In the .col file for download I have knocked any colours that were rgb only back to their nearest printable colour. So the .col file contains print-safe values only.

I know there a couple of you who work purely for rgb output, so I may have to create a printable and a non-printable palette for your colours.

Use the link at the top to connect to the download for Ori's palette.:)

Juz
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I thought I'd start off with someone who is the spur that kicks off so many creative threads and works of art.:)

A big thank you Foxytocin for everything you do for the community :):D

PS. Credit to Oriane for the photoshop extrude idea to show off the colours

Foxytocin's master palette

irishrose
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Juz, this is awesome! Thank you for doing this, it must have taken a lot of time. Truly appreciated. And Foxytocin too! :)

Juz
07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
No worries Rosie,
Should be fun to see what colours come out for different people.
Will be good when i've got a few people up and a lot of variety in the palettes.:)

foxytocin
07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh my garsh-diggidley-garsh. My day has had several rather surreal moments that were quite unpleasant. Logging on here and seeing this made the day soooooo much better. Thank you so much! Can't wait to play with it....

Juz
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
:):D:)

We're just like a comfy pair of slippers here.
Now you can forget all that stressful stuff relax and paint :)

Lima
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Foxy your master palette is gourgeous. Juz I was not wrong... you are an expert in this color world. Thanks again for my palette. The extrusion resulted so beautiful. And as you mentioned "should be fun to see what colours come out for different people" and certainly it will be.:)

Juz
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks very much Oriane for both your comments and for being the inspiration for this thread :)

chambersecrets
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
wow this is a great idea. foxy is the perfect one to kick this off with a palette!

byroncallas
07-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Juz, an absolutely fantastic project. Your approach to it is splendid. FoxyT's pallet is gorgeous.

GREAT THREAD:)

Juz
07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Misterpaint needs no introduction, his enormous contribution to this forum is probably unmatched. A huge tip of the hat to such a generous person. So without further ado... let me introduce the

Misterpaint Master Palette

screenpainter
07-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Juz! Absolutely fantastic! This is not only a wonderful art supply you have provided, but also it is just fascinating to look at these palettes and learn. Thanks for all your time on these. A labor of love. You are truly a color master. They are just amazing!!!

Juz
07-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Chamber, Byron and GZ
Thanks so much for the enthusiastic feedback. :):D

Its fun to see where in the spectrum people hang;)

Juz
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
GZairborne is one of the many who help to make this a welcome and nuturing place for artists of all levels. You'd be hard pressed to find a piece of art in the gallery section that does not contain words of encouragement from him.

So let me thank him (GZ you rock!! :D) and present the:-

GZairborne Master Palette

byroncallas
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Juz, this continues to be a fabulous project. It's terrific reviewing the unique qualities in each pallet - a different take on the individual artists and their unique artistic inclinations. Hope you are able to keep 'em coming. Sooner or later certainly there will be the Puddy Pallet? :D:)

screenpainter
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
wow! thank you Juz. Hey I can use my own palette! in case I forget. ha ha. :)
you are very thoughtful and kind to do this. I would have thought I would have only purples and blues mostly looking at my gallery. ha. It does indeed look like I have a large selection of those. I assure you all my colors were scientifically picked for the highest degree of artistic color principles and theories. ya right. hee hee. Thanks again Juz! :)

Juz
07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Byroncallas is exactly the type of person that any forum would benefit from. Not only does he have a lively enthusiasm for all things related to art and technology, he willingly disseminates anything he's absorbed along the way.:D:eek::) So a huge shout out to a fabulous community member, and here is the:-

Masterpalette of ByronCallas

byroncallas
07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Yo Juz, mucho thanks a million. You're a princess if there ever was one, the bees knees, and all that other good stuff. Thanks for the wonderfully warm comments. And I love the pallet. I WILL use it. And I intend to experiment with several of the others you've posted too. They are great tools. Again, thanks a gillion.

Question: If I understand correctly, you've selected the nearest colors that should be reliable for CYMK print reproduction? If so, you've made my life about six-million degrees simpler. Am I on track?

Cheers for sure.
Byron

Juz
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes thats right Byron, I've reduced any colour values that were out of cmyk gamut back to within, to ensure print-safe palettes :)

byroncallas
07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
That's great Juz. Thanks again. Your answer raises questions, the first an obvious yes, but just checking; the remaining I'm not so sure about. The answers should be helpful for others too.

1. I can add a color from another of the pallets above to mine, and stay in CMYK gamut, right?

2. If I mix any of my colors to make a new color to add to my pallet, will the new color be in CMYK gamut, or is that a shot in the dark?

3. The extended question here, of course, is if I mix my colors on canvas while painting, will all the resulting colors remain in CMYK gamut?

4. Will mixing white or black with any of my colors risk moving the result out of CMYK gamut?

5. Finally, how do you determine if a particular color is in CMYK gamut? You seem to have that down pat. What's your trick, or tool for determining?

Thanks again for a winning thread. I'll be coming back frequently to find the pallets of each new artist you add.

Best, Byron :)

Juz
07-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Byron ... great questions

1. You will be fine with any value from any of the palettes in the thread as all palettes contain print safe colours

2,3 and 4. This one is a bit more hit or miss ... largely you will be fine to blend and still stay within gamut. Starting from colours within gamut helps and most colours tend to desaturate on blending. This is true for black and white too. However with values that are really bright instances of a hue you can blow some of the inbetween values in the blend out of gamut. I've included a pic with a test blend to show you this between the brightest yellow and the brightest red in your palette. As you can see in this instance the nearest printable colour is close enough that we wouldn't get too much of a shock at the printers.:)

In general stay away from supersaturated hues (all values in the second picture are out of gamut, this is also true for dark supersaturated values). Warm reds tend to shift to more pinky (magenta ink) reds.
There is a good diagram showing the overlay of respective gamuts so you can see which values are in RGB but not CMYK here http://dx.sheridan.com/advisor/cmyk_color.html

5. I use photoshop to determine if values are within print gamut. See picture also.:)

Flynn_the_Cat
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
This is fascinating.

Juz
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Weembaman has delighted us all for ages with the creative often crazy adventures of puddy. He is such a prolific artist that downloading all his gallery works to sample was half the job for this palette. Weembaman I can't count the number of times Puddy has made me smile, thank you for your constant delightful contributions to this forum.:) Here is the:-

Masterpalette of Weembaman (and puddy)

Silentman
07-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Good Work Juz, i can see you've been really busy, it's a real gift your offering here. When your done, i'm gonna collect them and create one Master Pallet hehehe, unless you do 1st and then i'll download yours, i think you could a much better job than i can :)

chambersecrets
07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
this is really awesome your doing this. i hope everyone is enjoying what your doing for them. keep up the great work!!!:D

Juz
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks so much Flynn_the_cat, Silentman and Chambersecrets :)

Great idea on the Artragers Master Palette Silentman :)

Lee
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Dear Juz, that may be very technical and scientific, but i think it is an incredible painting as is, just beautiful in its construction and surely must reflect Weem and Puddy very well:)

byroncallas
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Byron ... great questions

1. You will be fine with any value from any of the palettes in the thread as all palettes contain print safe colours

2,3 and 4. This one is a bit more hit or miss ... largely you will be fine to blend and still stay within gamut. Starting from colours within gamut helps and most colours tend to desaturate on blending. This is true for black and white too. However with values that are really bright instances of a hue you can blow some of the inbetween values in the blend out of gamut. I've included a pic with a test blend to show you this between the brightest yellow and the brightest red in your palette. As you can see in this instance the nearest printable colour is close enough that we wouldn't get too much of a shock at the printers.:)

In general stay away from supersaturated hues (all values in the second picture are out of gamut, this is also true for dark supersaturated values). Warm reds tend to shift to more pinky (magenta ink) reds.
There is a good diagram showing the overlay of respective gamuts so you can see which values are in RGB but not CMYK here http://dx.sheridan.com/advisor/cmyk_color.html

5. I use photoshop to determine if values are within print gamut. See picture also.:)

Juz, thanks so much. Much appreciate your thoughtful and clear answers to the questions. It's immensely useful for me. No doubt there will be others who will take advantage of your good input. Thanks again.

LIkewise, thanks for the "digital experts" link. That's a good site.:cool:

Meanwhile, I'm already using my pallet. I use it now in conjunction with your master CYMK gamut pallet, which is a godsend (well, a juzsend). I will probably combine the two in some manner. I will also experiment with some of the other artists' pallets and see what alternative color results materialize in my own work.

Finally, it was great to see the Weemb/Puddy pallet appear. Weemb's color constructions in the Puddy Chronicles always lift my spirits. He does have a wonderful, exciting pallet (just needs some yellow :D;)).

Thanks again. This is going to be one of those threads that should get a sticky. Its value has legs. :D:):cool:

Juz
07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks Lee but I can't take the credit. It was Oriane's idea to apply an 'Extrude' filter in photoshop to affect this look. My original was just 8x8 squares of each colour before applying the filter :)

Byron you are most welcome, it gives me a lot of joy to know that you are having fun playing around with these palettes :D

Juz
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Robert S Wade is not only a masterful painter, he is one of those rare people that is able to mentor others, no matter their skill level or whether they require gentle handholding or a stern taskmaster. If you wish to improve your technique then listening to Robert is a great way to go. So hats off to Robert and let me introduce the:-

Robert S Wade Masterpalette

Lima
07-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Juz, very nice work. The links you have posted in this thread are precious to study and learn a bit more about color (colour). May I suggest one thing if you will OK? It would be nice for us who visit your beautiful thread, to have a general view of the gourgeous extrujuzes you have comeup with if at each 6 master's extrujuzes you joined them toghether. Than we could easily compare the general aspect... I can for sure link very well some of the extrusions with the paintings of the artist. What you think?

Juz
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Is this what you mean Oriane ?

Lima
07-15-2009, 01:47 PM
wow just flash... very nice:)

byroncallas
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Juz: Great pallet for Robert, and fine commentary too.
Likewise, love the pallet combinings. Very telling - the individuality of each is quite distinct through this display format. :cool::)

Lee
07-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Dear Juz, i know you said you use a program to create these artist palletes but i stll love them, a color DNA of the artists personalities maybe?;):)

Juz
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Oriane and Byron, thank you once again for you comments.

Lee thats a fabulous description, I agree totally about a visual dna :)

Juz
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I've decided to open this thread up to requests for palettes.

If you would like me to batch a master palette for your gallery just leave me a note in the thread and i'll work through them in order of request. :)

Feel free to request another artist's palette if you are wanting to tryout someone elses colours in particular

chambersecrets
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
awesome! i would love to have one these palettes when you get time. also this painting isnt finished but it would be cool to have these colors included.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20582

:):D

Juz
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
No problems Chambersecrets :), I can see your uploading currently so i'll start to download tomorrow to begin... Did you want greyscale images included (can end up with a lot of greys in the masterpalette this way) ?

chambersecrets
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
um thats up to you. i dont really need every grey i use.

Juz
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Here you go Chambersecrets :)
I didn't include the greyscale image in your gallery as it would have dominated the palette too much. Theres some nice greys in the palette from the other images, and greys are easy to find in your colour mixer, so I thought it better for the palette to have more colour. So here is the :-

Masterpalette of Chambersecrets

irishrose
07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Juz, just read through this whole thread again and you are a genius!!!! I love all the palettes and one of these days I am going to get organized and actually import some of them!

I don't have any paintings on AR as I keep my work on my website, which is listed in my signature line. But I sure would love my own palette. If you have to, you can sample from some of my bright colored birds for the ACEO's I do... I am really into bright colors. :) Fully saturated and complementary! :)

Hugs! And no rush, really, I just am amazed at the process and how speedy you are, as well as a real sweetheart to boot! :)

XO Rose

Juz
07-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Hehee Rosie would love to do one for you, you're one of the reasons I opened this thread up, as when I looked in your gallery here to do one for you I couldn't find the works... didn't think to check your website link (doh!) :D:)

irishrose
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Juz.. BIG HUG!!! Yes, it's just hard to keep up with putting pieces in different places.. so my website has all diff kinds of art I do... watercolors, oil pastels, encaustics, digital, zentangles, sketches, acrylics, mixed media... I just have never stopped doing what I love.. thanks to WetCanvas, otherwise I never would have had a jump start. Then in digital, I started with something called Painter Classic, and Deep Paint, and it was all a new experience for me. I'm still scared of digital art and haven't delved as much into it as much as the 'hands on'. :) I have so many supplies, colored pencils, brushes, wcolors, thick and thin acrylics.. it's hard to know where to start! :) It's hard to get rid of the hands on stuff, just like I won't revert to digital books, I still want to hold a book in my hand and go back a page or two, there is something REAL about it. :) I want HARD COPY! ;)

Juz
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Rosie, gorgeous works on that site. Currently I'm downloading all of the images to do the masterpalette. Did you want one for all? Or just for the Artrage works?:)

PS. I learned all about encaustics from your site. Never seen those before. Wow:eek: they are amazingly beautiful. Reminds me a little of silk marbling the effects.

irishrose
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Juz, you're a doll. I trust your judgment, but mostly the ones that are the most saturated and full of color. :) Yes, some of the AR work would be great.

Encaustics are WONDERFUL! I have never had so much fun with a medium as I have with hot waxes... oh, it's just great to spread hot wax all over a glossy paper and then watch as it immediately cools and if you don't like it, just go over it with the iron again. Awesome stuff... there are no rights or wrongs to this medium.. you just DO IT! :) Thanks for checking it out! Hugs! Rose

Juz
07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you need them printsafe?
RGB values for monitor output only will be the most saturated which is why I ask?

I can relate to mess-making in art, my original BA(4yrs) before I went into computer art was in Ceramic Design (Clay, Hot and Cold Glass, Architectual Ceramics). I majored in throwing (wheel work), or as I like to call it 'Mudbashing' :)

irishrose
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Juz,

You have an interesting background too! I never did any clay work, but loved getting messy! :)

Thank you for asking, but no, do not need any perfection for printing. I don't print anything (yet).. maybe someday, but right now, just so it looks good on the monitor is okay with me. :)

Thank you again for all you do! You are such a sweetie! :)

chambersecrets
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow!! thanks so much. i love this palette and its cool we can all use each others palettes for painting. are these colors the print safe ones or are they all the colors from the painting? either way thanks alot!

never mind i just read first page again...dah! :)

Juz
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
:Dhehee, most welcome chambersecrets... yeah your palette came out really nice I thought love the values in that one:)

Silentman
07-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I've got to stop stuffing around and finish some projects lol, i've got heaps started but none are finished yet.

I want a palette too :( *cry's* :p

Juz
07-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Hehee Silentman, no worries, just let me know when you got enough works up and we'll do it then :)

Juz
07-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Irishrose, here is the true masterpalette for all 250 something images you have in your various galleries. I've included a printsafe one also incase you need it, and for others who might wish to use it. As you can see only a couple of values strayed out of gamut anyway :) Tomorrow i'll go through the images and retain only the bright ones and push out another palette with those for more amped colour.

Masterpalette of IrishRose

Silentman
07-17-2009, 07:34 PM
YaY thanks Juz, your an awesome bloke, you know that! :D http://deephousepage.com/smilies/banana.gif

DaveRage
07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
These are really cool, great idea for a thread! It's really interesting to see the differences between different people's palettes. Byron's is such a happy palette :)

We've just featured this on the ArtRage homepage and the news in ArtRage's updater. Thanks for posting them!

For anyone new to the forums, to use any of the .col ( colour set ) files you can download in this thread, open your colour samples window either by going to Tools -> Show Colour Samples Panel or by pressing the S key on your keyboard.

Then, to load the colour set you downloaded, click the arrow at the top left of the colour samples panel, then 'Load Colours' from the menu and browse to the file you just downloaded.

foxytocin
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Yay, Juz! You got a feature! Well-deserved.....

Silentman
07-18-2009, 12:07 AM
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/praise2.gif http://deephousepage.com/smilies/clap.gif Well Done Jus, Well Done Indeed mate http://deephousepage.com/smilies/clap.gif http://deephousepage.com/smilies/praise2.gif

And for those who've lost their way to see it in all it's glory, here's the link :) "Jus's Feature" (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html)

Silentman
07-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Vote No.1 for sticky please Mr Dave Rage :)

irishrose
07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Juz!!!! THANK YOU!!!! You have done so much work, I wish we could give something back to you (though I see you have a spotlight on the main page!!!)

I will definitely give this a try today since Andy was nice enough to put the instructions close by (I am not much of a manual reader after the first two go rounds!)

You are so sweet, these colors are ME!!! To a tee! You really did a great job, and thank you again so much! All of us Ragers that have our names and color charts are VERY happy! BIG GIANT Canuck Aussie Hug!!! (and I'm Irish! ;))

XOXOX

cartuneman
07-18-2009, 08:33 AM
saw this on the main page and had to just hunt this down...wow what a cool thing to have... I saved everyone of the Masterpalette's Thank you Juz for producing these for us......what a great thing to have!

Juz
07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Wow , thanks everyone :D:)

irishrose
07-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Juz, you should be so proud, this was all your hard work! Thank you again so much!

weembaman
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
WOW.. I missed this whole thread somehow..This is great and thanks for including me in your project..I'll have to go back and check it out better when I have more time..I can't imagine the amount of work you put into this, thanks again...Oh great color master.......:):):)

Juz
07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
LOL Weembaman:D, a small return for all the smiles you and puddy have put on my face :)

Juz
07-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Bright Colours of IrishRose

As promised, here is a palette drawn from the brighter images in your gallery Irishrose. These colours are brighter in general. Basically i dropped Monochrome, Duotone and less than bright images from the collection to push this one out.

As I did for the masterpalette, there is both a monitor only and a printsafe version of the palette.

irishrose
07-18-2009, 11:45 AM
OMG, Juz, you are TOO MUCH! Thank you! Yes, this is just what I love, the brighter colors! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better!!! BIG HUGS! This is great. You know, now I am going to HAVE to start uploading gallery pictures just for you! You are so wonderful for doing this for everyone, and twice for me. Is there anything we can do in return, or I can do for you? You really have been so selfless in this whole project. What about you? You are a gem!!! Thank you again, so much!

Juz
07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rosie, you already do enough for me here by helping keep this place a thriving art community with open doors to artists of any level. PS. Yes please upload some of your wonderful work here for all to see :)

It is fabulous to me that I can talk to people who, for example, worked with Kai Krause, or tweened for Hanna Barbara (cartuneman :)). I feel like a fan as well as a member. It is unlike any other art forum, as it is kept non-competitive and nuturing, and for that, more than anything else I'm truely grateful to all here.

irishrose
07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Aw, Juz, you are so right. You've really said it all. No other forum matches this one in fun and sweetness, talent and reward. It's awesome. You're the best, you always know just what to say. :)

Lima
07-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi, Juz:eek::eek::eek:
One question; I wonder if you could give us an update simple and objective (in parallel to this thread) on the primaries, secondaries and tertiary colors. Thank you.:)

Silentman
07-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Ok i'm sorry :o your an awesome sheila (Australian excellent ladie) hehehe

RobertSWade
07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Juz, thank you for this thread and the time you have put into it; what a unique and contributary idea. And thank you especially for my palette and your incredibly flattering words about me. (insert smiley of me blushing here)
Canadalia ... lol ... love it. :)

Juz
07-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks Robert, glad you found your palette :)
Canadalia was suggested by Aged P and I took to it :)

Thanks Silentman (for that little correction):)

Oriane, heres a link to the primary, secondary, colours etc for RGB spectrum... its only for the weak saturation of the spectrum but will give you an idea of which colours are which
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showpost.php?p=189547&postcount=1
Of course in paint you work with the RYB colour model and so that is what painters are familiar with as a colour wheel but in artrage we work in RGB.

more info can be found from the links at the bottom of the Colour page on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour

ShockHorror
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
This is such a lovely and clever idea!

Would you do me a palette of my colours?
I'd be interested to see what I use the most (:

Lee
07-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Dear Silent, thanks for the link, haven't looked at the main AR page for a long time,,, Juz is surely deserving of the honor,,,,,!!!!!:)

Juz
07-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Shockhorror and Lee, thank you both :)

Shockhorror here is your masterpalette. As there are a lot of values that are RGB only (monitor output only), I've included both a printsafe and a monitor only version of your palette. :)

Masterpalette of Shockhorror

irishrose
07-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Another wonderful palette Juz!!! You're amazing!

Juz
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks Rosie, you're the sweetest :D

irishrose
07-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Aw, shucks, you too Juz! Thanks a million!

ShockHorror
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Thankyou (:

I use a lot of blue it seems :L

On the picture, with lots of almost like blocks sticking up, does the height mean anything? Because all of the pallettes you've made have different height blocks in them. (:

Caesar
07-21-2009, 11:23 PM
This is an absolutely brilliant and interesting initiative, dear Juz, to dissect and analyze the ArtRagers from a chromatic standpoint.
What an amazing idea!:eek::cool::)
It would be interesting also a statistic on average tones distribution along the tonal range maybe, but it look a little complex to find perhaps.
Certainly this thread is quite useful to help emulating some of the magic behind the masters, to guess some of their psychology, but the entire recipe to reproduce their masterpieces is still, alas, beyond our reach I'm afraid! ;):D

Lee
07-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Dear Caesar,,, what a wonderful idea you had!, and why not?!!! couldn't a Mona Lisa be downloaded and then put as a layer in ArtRage and then color picked then Juz could work her magic color DNA analysis??? hmmmm???:)

Juz
07-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks Shockhorror, I love the soft colour of your print palette :)

To Caesar and Lee.... it would be no problem to make masterpalettes for the great masters of painting. The palettes however would only be the jist of the masters colours (not exact) as the works would have gone through many colour model changes. Photographed, printed, scanned, and then reduced to jpeg for web.

Still, when this thread gets no more interest it may indeed be a fun one for a new thread. I'll admit i've already done exactly what you suggest for an australian painter 'Albert Tucker' who's works I love.:)

Lee
07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Dear Juz, would be so nice, but, looked for 'Stary Nights', and there are a billion on the web, the reproductions are all different colors, guess it would be impossible to 'pick' a pallete from the web. you are so right!,,, :(:)

fraser_paice
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Me, me, me... ooh, ooh!... pick me! Please!

Sketchism71
07-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Dear Juz... How come I just now noticed this thread? I need to scroll down more ... LOL! This is awesome, fantastic, and a wonderful tribute! I wish I could download your knowledge of color directly to my brain!

Well if you ever get some spare time, I would love a palette from you. I have been slowly trying to create my own but so far have been unsuccessful:mad:

Again, Awesome thread and thank you!

Juz
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Lee, Fraser and Sketch, It would be my pleasure to create your masterpalettes :)

Juz
07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Lee here is a masterpalette of your wonderful gallery works (I spent a lot of time in there as there is so much variety to your work) :)

Masterpalette of Lee

Lee
07-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Dearest Juz, can't say thank you enough!!! thank you++++++++++ actually so pleased with the colors, strange to see them all in one lump, but have to agree, those are the colors i see every day, so wonderful of you to do such a nice thing!!!! thank you ++++++++++++++ again, what a great idea!:) xox

ps, being a little technically challenged, i wondered how to save the colors and WALLA there was the download link,,, thank you so much again!!!!!:)

pps;) just can't stop looking at this wonderful thread!!! all the artists have a different, well, what to call it, style? mood?,,, now i start to get heavy and wonder if this is a set-in-stone thing,? it opens too many questions in my mind:eek: to mention, will have to go to my chores to stop thinking,,, ;):)

coops
07-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Dear Juz , pretty please oh pretty please may I have one too:o

Juz
07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Lee you are most welcome.:D It is indeed the 'mood of the artist' as you describe or as I often think of it where an artist likes to hang in the colour spectrum.

Coops no worries, would love to do your masterpalette :)

Fraser, can you give me a link to where you are storing your images. Gallery is empty. I'll do Sketchism's in the meantime :)

fraser_paice
07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Juz I'm not keeping a gallery but if you view my profile (click on my name) and view threads started by me you'll find them there... sorry but I'm a compulsive poster with a butterfly technique so there are all sorts there.

Thanks mate.

Juz
07-24-2009, 12:10 PM
K Fraser, yours may take a little longer as the images aren't all collated in one place, will take me a little bit to track them down :)

Juz
07-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Sketchism71 here is your masterpalette (nice and organic looking, just like your works) :)

Masterpalette of Sketchism71

Silentman
07-24-2009, 04:28 PM
oooohhh very dark isn't it Sketch, lol :p

Sketchism71
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow... A lot of blue and gray and hardly any reds or yellows... Interesting. I guess it isn't surprising being that most of my work focuses on realism. We live in a blue/gray world. I agree with both you and silentman - Dark and organic!

Juz, this is just absolutly fantastic and I can't wait to jump in and get messy with it! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!:D:D:D:D:D If I can ever return a favor or you need anything i can provide, never hesitate to ask!:D

Juz
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Most welcome sketch, glad you like it :D
I'm certain i'll have some technique and improvement type questions at some stage ;):)

ujwala
07-25-2009, 04:20 AM
stumbled across this fantastic thread. please juz, may i have one too? I've put a link to the paintings i'd put up at a recent exhibition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ujwala/sets/72157618309189730/

Juz
07-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Fraser: Its far too much work for me to have to go through and collate your images on top of preparing a masterpalette. Please upload them to the gallery so I can find them in one place.

Ujwala: No problems, adding you to the list (will be a day or two) :)

fraser_paice
07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Ok Juz... I've been meaning to for a while... and now I've got an incentive.

Juz
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks mate :)
Just post a message here when your ready then

wenkat
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I should say you do a fantastic work; please accept our thanks on behalf of AR community! :)
While I very much like to have a palette of my works, I want to offer a suggestion: Why don't you write a tutorial, so that people can do their or someone else's palette on their own? This would make your work at least half easy!
Best Wishes!

Juz
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks Wenkat,
Get yourself a copy of debabilizer (if they still make it) and you can batch out all the masterpalettes you want.

I will only write artrage specific tutorials for this forum :)

Juz
07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Here is your masterpalette Coops. Lots of gorgeous values resulted from such a stunning gallery :)

Masterpalette of Coops

coops
07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow Juz thats amazing. To see all those colours together wow what can I say. Thank you so much it was very kind of you and I really do appreciate it.:)

ujwala
07-25-2009, 09:19 PM
thank you juz. looking forward to seeing it and using it :P

Silentman
07-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Your very pascally Coops, i can see myself using your pallet from time to time :)

Juz
07-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Ujwala, here is your masterpalette. Wonderful exhibition, by the way, love the portrait and linocut works :)

Masterpalette of Ujwala

fraser_paice
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Ok juz just uploaded a years worth to the gallery... I'm embarrassed, there's sooooo much stuff there...

Juz
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks Fraser, Rosie has the record number of works so far so i'll let you know if you top it :)

Juz
07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Fraser, here is your masterpalette. Your gallery looks great, nice to see them together, in order to see all the styles and variety :)

ps/ Rosie is out in front by a stretch, you'll have to catch up

Masterpalette of Fraser_Paice

Lee
07-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Dear Juz, so kind of you!!!! ,,,love these,,facinating these!!!!! the numers of the colors are intrigueing? lets say, if 255 255 255 is white and 0 0 0 is black, is 85 85 85 a grey in the middle of all the colors? have to stop thinking :eek:!!!!;):)

Silentman
07-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh WoW Ujwala look at all the rich browns, excellent, i'll grab those thankyou :D

Juz
07-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Lee :) To me it appears you are now thinking in RGB :):D

Wenkat here is your masterpalette. Lovely cool spring tones in this one from a very extensive gallery.

Masterpalette of Wenkat

Lee
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Dear Juz,,,:p;):D!

ujwala
07-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Woohoo! What a wonderful surprise! Thank you very much Juz. I hadnt realised I used so much of earth colours :D

hanzz
07-27-2009, 07:26 AM
What a great Idea ! Well done ! must be loads of work to do !

fraser_paice
07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh Wow! Thanks so much Juz!... Hmmm looks like I spend a lot of time at the dark end of the spectrum...

Thanks again mate.

Juz
07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Ujwala, no worries, I think your palette will be very popular with those lovely earthy tones. :)

Hanzz, thank you, just say the word if you'd like yours done :)

Fraser, LOL, hanging out at the dark end of the spectrum... use the force mate :D

wenkat
07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Juz, thrilled to see my own palette.
I'm indebted to you for the favor!
Salute your committed spirit!:)

hanzz
07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
"The word"

Juz
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Wenkat, my pleasure :)

No worries Hanzz.:)
Would you like me to factor in the images on your personal site as well as the artrage gallery ones ?

hanzz
07-28-2009, 01:35 AM
OK, If it's not too much trouble to do..

Juz
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Hanzz here is your masterpalette made from both your artrage gallery and private site works. The Amy Winehouse tattoo is hilarious. :D:D

Masterpalette of Hanzz

hanzz
07-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks a lot! weird to see it that way.:cool: Cool, thanks, Juz

byroncallas
07-29-2009, 04:33 AM
oooohhh very dark isn't it Sketch, lol :p

Hey Sketch, they can never accuse you of using too much yellow.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Juz
07-29-2009, 08:26 AM
:D:D:D:D:D ROF Byron

Dany51
07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Interesting idea Jus,
I don't know if you can find my palette because I am changing often but if you like and if is not too much work I will be glad to see which are my palette
after your criteria .

Juz
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
No problems Dany51, here is your masterpalette :)

Masterpalette of Dany51

Turtleman
08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Can you do me please? That would be interesting, I do think I have a wide range of colors.

http://severeo.deviantart.com/ or search my name here for images.

Lee
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Dear Juz, love these!!! soooooo interesting!!!! thanks again!:)

sandyg
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Juz,
Very interesting to see all the colour palettes, if you get time could you please do mine, I think my colours might be a bit boring but I'd like to see them together as you display them, my images do get printed, so could I have a print col: version. I have images on the user gallery here, I haven't got a link, wouldn't know how to do one.
It's very kind of you to do these colours palettes for the artists here.

annie_okay
08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi, Juz - I am brand, spanking new to ArtRage (and painting) and have only done one picture so far - so I have much to learn from all these fabulous artists you have featured. If I might make a request - it would be nice if your posts of the master palettes also included a link that that person's gallery. Easy one-stop shopping. I know that is an extra step for you. But I like quickly scrollling to the posts with actual palettes in them and then I end up having to do a separate search to get to that artist's gallery. What do you think? Please excuse my noobishness.:)

Mbenzi
08-26-2009, 07:20 AM
What a nice idea!
I just purchased the application and I am trying to learn, so I played with that color sample thingy to get acquainted with it.
Doing so, I picked (manually, puh) 184 colors from the RAL Classic chart. I guess it will not be precise because of individual screen qualities and -settings, but they are close enough and will work relative to eachother.

I don't know if it will be of use to anybody, but I enclosed it.

sandyg
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Mbenzi, I just downloaded the colours you created. Thank you for sharing.

dismagartist
08-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I have been absent from this forum for too long. I see there are exciting things going on here and I am excited to be back. Juz, what a wonderful tribute for the many artists on this forum.

Silentman
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmm i've been wondering where Juz has been, i hope your ok buddy, haven't heard from you for ages :(

byroncallas
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Hmm i've been wondering where Juz has been, i hope your ok buddy, haven't heard from you for ages :(

Likewise, Juz, if you're out there, many of us miss you :( and hope you are well. :)

Juz
09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry that this thread has been neglected while I was unable to be here. I shall endeavour to catch up the requests :)

Masterpalette of Turtleman

Turtleman
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow thank you so much, as you can see I really go for the dark/light thing lol. Really interesting, tells me alot about how I work.

margot
08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
double post.

haven't used a message board in ten years...

margot
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
largely you will be fine to blend and still stay within gamut.

Is there a thread in which we're sharing our print-safe .col files?

Juz
08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Margot
Just about every .col file i've put up is cmyk safe as I always check each individual colour value to make sure its within cmyk gamut. So a good start would be to check the threads i've posted for palettes. Faber castel pencils, TRIA markers, DC Comic inks etc.

The oil spectrum for giclee one is now included in the Artrage product its called Oil_Spectrum.col and is in the program folders resources (not the user resources). This one is an excellent palette as its been tested to match both real world oil paint colours to real world giclee printers ink colours.

Note: Blending can take you out of cmyk gamut range but starting with print safe palettes will mitigate how much colour is out of gamut quite a lot.

There are a couple that are just for monitor output (eg/ some of the ones for making stickerbrushes in my Understanding sticker colour tutorial), but these all state that they are monitor safe only clearly.

margot
09-20-2011, 08:29 PM
That's so helpful - will do! :-)

But so much for work and printing ... I've been engrossed with scribblings for my own enjoyment since I purchased my new Asus EP121. CMYK? Who cares! lol

Juz
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I've been engrossed with scribblings for my own enjoyment since I purchased my new Asus EP121. CMYK? Who cares! lol

I can totally relate... I just love my ep121 too... so much fun to use :D

Speedy
03-30-2015, 05:35 AM
Hello, I was wondering if you were still making these kinds of palettes and if so, would you mind doing one for me? YThe link to my dA paage is in my profile...