PDA

View Full Version : portrait

chambersecrets
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
alright here is a portrait ive been working on. im just going to show the steps ive took to get to the point im at now. this piece isnt near perfect. im still learning has i go here. im just trying to see what i can do.

-First i did the outline and the background

chambersecrets
06-23-2009, 06:00 AM
then after that i did like a thin glaze just to get rid of the white canvas and to give me the largest lightest tone. then i went in and started rough shading just trying to get the values going and adding in texture. when i was finished with that i did another glaze to smooth the shading out a bit.

chambersecrets
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
then i did more shading with the airbrush and started to refine everything a little more.then i put the base color of the eyes and did another glaze to smooth it all out and that where im out now.also ive turned the sketch off. so soon ill show how it turns out.
any input would be great. im still very new to digital painting.

yachris
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow, great going! Looking forward to seeing more.

flyashy
06-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey! That's turning out to be Kiera Knightly!

Good going CS.
I'm waiting for the color to appear.

P.S. erm..uh just noticed the palette (ref pic)
isn't that a lil too many colors? I always get a little lost with so many...
Usually I try to keep a max of 3-6 for skin etc..

chambersecrets
06-24-2009, 07:47 AM
i only use a few of the colors but i like to have options. also its the palette colors from that post about the right colors for printing. so instead of opening that palette i just made my own from it. Also it is KN. im shocked you notices. i was thinking no one could tell who it was because i suck lol.
here is the palette for you or anyone else to use. its a jpg so open it as a references.

weembaman
06-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Well done so far...Waiting to see the finished result...:)

chambersecrets
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
ok here is some of the base color.done with airbrush. man this is a pain! this is the first time ive ever used color in a portrait and its hard blending yellows,browns,tans,reddish colors (lol) to make skin tones. any pointers are welcome

Sketchism71
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
This is looking good chamber! My only pointer would be to just stay the course and keep painting painting painting. You will develop a system and pallette that works for you. Thanks for sharing it with us!;)

SCP
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Great to see other methods,and as Sketch said keep painting.
For pointers it's hard as everyone is so different ...which is a good thing!:D
Only thing I found with AR ,I prefer the crayon tool if I want blending of colour or softness.But thats me and I'm sure someone else will prefer the airbrush,paintbrush etc.It comes down to you and want methods feel best and work.

Best of luck,

Scott.

flyashy
06-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Hey CS, looking good.
I looked up a few tut on wetcanvas and tried to follow the classical method of blocking out the darkest shadows with the sienna/umber combination before moving on to the skin tones. there's some really nice tuts there and they help a lot esp about picking the right color tones.

chambersecrets
06-25-2009, 02:50 AM
scott- i agree with you that the crayon is the best blending tool in AR atm. my gallery has a grayscale done with the crayon.

skecth- thanks for the encouragement.

flyashy- with this painting im sorta basing it on the flemish technique (7 layers) but just loosely basing it. you should check it out. its really the best way of painting in my opinion. Plus when its done in oil (real life) on wood panels the work will outlast every other style done in oil. The way and order its painted in makes the light burst through every layer making it look as if it was painted on a pearl. If you look the flemish where using oils and doing this style way before the Italians started using oils and most of the Flemish painting are still to this day in better condition. The funny thing is alot of the original flemish paintings are years older then the 14th century paintings. So thats why i think the 7 layer painting is a superior technique. Now if only i could do it!! lol

flyashy
06-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey CS,
yup Flemish would be the way to go. tho i'm still unclear as to the dead layer part of it..
and I wonder if the layers would be visible..
wait a minute...are you painting each of the Flemish layers on a separate AR layer..?? would that work just like the glazing..??
Note to self: MUST TRY THAT OUT!
:)

chambersecrets
06-25-2009, 09:06 AM
yea im doing each on another layer. the dead layer in my opinion is to give you a nice bright working area for when you add color. plus i think it helps getting the darks dark and the lights light. go to youtube and search: portrait of anna. its an amazing piece. its my fav portrait that ive seen in awhile.