PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Day Paint Challenge

cathyd
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I love a rainy day! And I had a great desire for some time to create a rainy day painting. So I looked at a lot of photos over several days to get an idea for this one. The idea for the lady came from two different images. One of the ladies had on a dress and the other one was wearing pants with a coat and scarf. One was wearing heels and the other was wearing another type of shoe. I painted my lady with a skirt and boots. Also I gave her a tied back hairstyle with a neck scarf and a couple of wisps of hair blowing in the wind. The final result is a combination of photo editing, painting, and special effects. Below my painting is the original public domain photo I edited to get the background. I can't wait to see what you come up with! ;)

cathyd
06-20-2009, 06:00 AM
I just created a few "rainy day stencils." Most of them are silhouettes. There is just something about those rainy day silhouettes. Perhaps because in a lot of rainy day photos that's all you can see. Anyhoo, these are just a few. More to come. I thought they might add a bit more fun to this thread for anyone who wants to use them for this or their own projects. :D Enjoy! Cathy

cathyd
06-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Okay, here's my latest. I added a little something to my "Simply Orange 2" painting for Mair's thread, "Food with Attitude." Enjoy! :D

Eileen724
07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I love a good rainy day myself, Cathy! I particularly like it when it's warm outside because it tends to "cool" things off especially here in MO!

When you first posted this thread, it must have been ESP working on me with you because at the time I was "experimenting" with abstract painting (not one to do abstracts) and I named it "Rain" not knowing about this thread. It took me awhile to work on it since I kept changing things with it. So, I am going to post this for you and hope you like it even though I have mixed feelings on it (Sabena I'm not!!!)!

cathyd
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow, Een! That is just absolutely one-hundred percent beautiful! I love it. This painting has such a pleasant mood about it. And might I add, absolutely cheerful! The colors are gorgeous. No. You're not Sabena. And I am definitely one of her fans. But I am also one of yours. You each have your own style. And I love them both. :D Me, I'm not Sabena either, or any of the other amazing artists here on AR along with yourself. I'm just me. And I just do my own thing. Keep doing your wonderful paintings in your own unique and fantastic style! I think Sabena would tell you the same thing. ;) Thank you so much Een. In your own words, "More, more, more!" :D Love and hugs, Cathy

foxytocin
07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I finally got this together! For you, Cathyd.....
Can't remember where the spotlight stencils came from...branches from here: http://cocacolagirlie.deviantart.com/art/Branches-Brushes-116298085
and webby looking circles from here: http://www.obsidiandawn.com/brushes-categories

foxytocin
07-21-2009, 11:45 PM
And another, Cathy!

Peter Pinckney
07-22-2009, 12:17 AM
I had already posted this one some time ago in the main gallery but I thought I'd be cheeky and re-post it here as it fits:D

Rainy day South of France

foxytocin
07-22-2009, 03:11 AM
The raindrops along the fence are a fabulous idea, Peter....

Alexandra
07-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Cathyd,
I love rainy days. The stencils make me think of a rainy week that we had and my son and I jumped in the puddles in our bare feet laughing and giggling. :D

Chibi J
07-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Had this in gallery but it also fits here. A friend said her dog hates the rain as his ears gets wet so my other friend said stick a rain bonnet on him lol

cathyd
07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Woah! Was I ever surprised when I logged on tonight after not being on AR for a few weeks (or at least it seems so). Wow, foxy, those pieces are absolutely amazing! I just love them. And thanks for sharing the stencil links. :) Peter, your piece is absolutely lovely. Masterful work as always. :) And Chibi J, that is too cute! Wonderful work too. Thanks for sharing. :) You guys really made my night as I have had a long bout with my health lately. And it was so nice to get this surprise after being away for so long. Thanks again to all of you! Blessings, Cathy

Gray
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
was bumbling around in the forums and I found this page. I was inspired by Peter's lightning bolt, and realized I could finally get the desired lightning effect if I used a soft light brush set to 5% opacity again and again and then applied a simple effect. So I did, and I have finally created a lightning bolt I'm happy with. It's not AR at all, I'm sad to say, but I can't figure out how to apply a soft light layer 400 times reasonably in AR. Any ideas?

sandyg
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Great pics everyone. I used to love and laugh splashing in puddles when little, my mum at the time didn't like it.

Alexandra
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh Sandy that is so sweet. I love it.:)

Lee
11-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Dear Sandy, soo cute, really pretty!!! and still young!:)

sandyg
11-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Thank you Sandy and Lee for your lovely comments, ah the memories of childhood, but young at heart.
Sandyg.

Alexandra
11-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes, we should never lose all of the child within us.