PDA

View Full Version : Slow Going WIP

Sketchism71
06-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi everybody, thought I would post this in here to motivate me to finish it. The sketch alone burned me out a little. I just started the painting phase and it is slow going with my busy schedule but maybe having it here to post on will give me a reason to keep on truckin! Click on it for a higher res version if it is difficult to see. Thanks for checking it out!:D

SCP
06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
G'day Sketch,mate it is looking great!
Maybe to spur you on,I work on a few different ideas at a time as I will burn out on one longer project, that is me,can't help it:( I found doing speedpaints,or working on a different style whenever I need a break.Keeps me "doing",if you get my drift?
Anyway ,all the best mate;):)

Belvrog
06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Sketch,wow that's gonna be a really detailed work. I am sure it will look great when it's done.

weembaman
06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
looking good, that's gonna be really detailed. I'll be watching it grow here...:)

yachris
06-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Sketch, no fair telling us you'll be taking time off, then posting something as interesting as this! :-)

Seriously, it looks great, I'll be most interested to see what you do with this.

cathyd
06-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, thus the reason for your AR "id!" Amazing sketchwork...and painting! Can't wait to see the final result! ;)

Sketchism71
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you Scott,,Belvrog, Weem, yachris and Cathy for your comments!

Hahaha yachris, you are right but I actually had some time today for a little AR:D Come this week I will be back in the grinde. Im actually at work now...I am looking at this project and It looks totally different on this PC than on mine at home. The textured paper is much more textured appearing than how I view it at home. I didn't realize there would be such a big difference. Has anybody else noticed this viewing their artwork on a different computer? Now Im just curious.

flyashy
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Hey Sketch,
This seems to be shaping up brilliantly. I'm totally taken by the richness of the colors. Great Going!
& yes the paper does appear to be a tad over textured. dulls the impact a little.
May I ask a couple of questions?
What is the size of canvas you're working with? the detail on the eaves and such looks amazing and I was wondering if that has to do something with the size of the canvas.
Also, how did you manage to lay down paint so evenly?
would you mind sharing your brush settings?
ta,
fly

coops
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
This is going to be amazing Sketchism. I already like the colours and can't wait to see the next update. Great work.

Sketchism71
06-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey Sketch,
This seems to be shaping up brilliantly. I'm totally taken by the richness of the colors. Great Going!
& yes the paper does appear to be a tad over textured. dulls the impact a little.
May I ask a couple of questions?
What is the size of canvas you're working with? the detail on the eaves and such looks amazing and I was wondering if that has to do something with the size of the canvas.
Also, how did you manage to lay down paint so evenly?
would you mind sharing your brush settings?
ta,
fly

Thank you Coops and Flyashy!:)

Hey Fly, I do use a large canvas on my bigger projects. It is the only way I have figured out to get nice detail in AR. I also paint at a higher DPI setting for projects that I think I may print or have displayed in the Louvre! (hahaha).

This particular project is sized at 17" length by 11" width at 200 DPI. This allows me to zoom way in and get into some great detail on my sketch and painting. Painting any higher than 200 DPI causes the lights to dim in my house!:)

I paint on "Basic Paper" set to 0% roughness keeping the bottom layer the only layer with 100% opacity. I sketch on a transparent layer with pencil and keep this the top layer throughout the painting so I can see my sketch the entire time.

I primarily paint with the crayon tool, mainly because it is what I started playing with when I first installed AR and I understand it's blending properties better than the other tools. I set the crayon to 30% (or less) pressure on 50% softness. At this setting, the crayon tool becomes unlike any traditional media I have ever encountered! It is gooey blending magic! I then just adjust the size of the crayon to the to match what it is I am painting. I try to do the majority of my painting on the same layer, and allow the colors to mix together.

The textured paper is just added at the end to match the type of painting I want. I rarely paint on textured paper because it completely changes the dynamics of how the paint is applied. The image I attached below is with the texture removed and is what I see as I"m painting.

Hope that explained my process and I'm sure there are people here that understand these technical things much more than I do and can explain it better, but that's how I do it!:D

ScottF
06-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Sketchism, this is going to be super when you get it finished! It´s already quite promising! I think the textured paper is just fine here. The main problem with grainy textures is that it requires filling a substantial portion of the canvas before you can tell if it´s going to work. And then if you´re not convinced, you´ve already committed a lot of time anyway.

I understand your sense of getting burned out. When I have a large painting filled with lots of detail, sometimes the slow going gets to me too. However, as you mentioned, when you post in WIP it sort of obliges you to carry on. :cool: Just go slowly and stop for the day when you find yourself rushing, messing up, and then deleting. (Or you go cross-eyed, whichever comes first. :D)

Sketchism71
06-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey ScottF, Thanks for the comment. Im not sure you saw my comment before yours (I think we posted at the same time) about the texture.

I actually was thinking about you and some of your artwork when I was sketching this. You are great at paintings like these with lots of confusing details!:D I will defenitly take your advice and move slowly on this one...not that I have much choice with my upcoming schedule. However, Thank you!:)

byroncallas
06-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi Sketch: Terrific WIP thread for what certainly will be a terrific painting.
I guess I'm in the camp of "keep on keeping on", in your own time and in your own way - no worries. I have always liked that phrase, "you can't rush a cake". :D

This is going to be a great cake. :):D:)

Little_John
06-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Sketch, this is terrific. Don't you dare stop. It looks awesome.

I've got one I've been working on for about 3 weeks now. Just haven't posted it because I'm burned out as well.

Funny, I use the same process regarding keeping the line drawing on the top layer. The real difference for me is that I use bright red for my line drawing. It helps me separate the painting from the line drawing, especially if I'm working in black and white.

yachris
06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey Sketch,

Thanks so much for posting about your process.

I primarily paint with the crayon tool, mainly because it is what I started playing with when I first installed AR and I understand it's blending properties better than the other tools. I set the crayon to 30% (or less) pressure on 50% softness. At this setting, the crayon tool becomes unlike any traditional media I have ever encountered! It is gooey blending magic!

Cool, I'll have to try those settings. Amazing how many hidden gems like this there are in AR!

The textured paper is just added at the end to match the type of painting I want. I rarely paint on textured paper because it completely changes the dynamics of how the paint is applied. The image I attached below is with the texture removed and is what I see as I"m painting.

So how do you add it? Is the textured paper a layer above, with some particular blending mode? I'm firmly on the fence :-) about this because sometimes, particularly with chalk, I like the 'interaction' of the texture with the tool... it helps me not be too fastidious. On the other hand, OH YEAH, I don't like it getting in the way sometimes :-)

Thanks again for the clues!

Sketchism71
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks Byron, I will keep your "keep on keeping on!":D

Thanks Little John! That is a great idea with using the bright red to sketch, I will have to keep that in mind for future projects.;)

Thank you yachris! I add the texture to the bottom layer. Click on the small arrow on that layer, choose "Edit Paper Settings" and choose a texture. The texture appears to show through the above painted layers. It could be though, that this only works with certain types of paint...like the crayon. I've never tried it after painting with the other tools. Hmmm, now I'm curious to find out...but once again, I'm at work:(

And yes, I agree, sometimes depending on the style, it is very beneficial (like with chalk) to let the texture effect the coloring to achieve the look of chalk!;):)

flyashy
06-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi Sketch.
Thanks for sharing your secrets :)
I'll have to have a go at the crayon. I started on AR to do oils and I haven't even touched crayons yet. I must give it a fair go.

I also pretty much do the layers like you do except I mostly like to use a dull grayish canvas as a base, it makes any whites stand out. and I too keep switching it on and off.

I usually keep my DPI @ 72, since I don't think I'm going to be taking any prints at all. and if I need to I'll probably re-size it using s-spline or something.
So I work upto sizes of 24"X18", but all @ 72 dpi.
If I worked on a canvas of 24"X18" @ 300 DPI it'd probably cause a state wide blackout !! LOL.

Oh BTW, the window sill under the blue eaves looks just like mother of pearl. a bit of iridescent pink or something and it'd be like viola!!

Great Going!

thanks again,
fly

yachris
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Thank you yachris! I add the texture to the bottom layer. Click on the small arrow on that layer, choose "Edit Paper Settings" and choose a texture. The texture appears to show through the above painted layers.

Excellent, thanks.

It could be though, that this only works with certain types of paint...like the crayon. I've never tried it after painting with the other tools. Hmmm, now I'm curious to find out...but once again, I'm at work:(

I'm sure you'll want to try the experiment too :-) but it definitely affects all the tools.

Eileen724
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Hello, Sketch....this is just so wonderful and charming! How I love paintings of buildings and such! You have such a great sense of perspective which you do need to have to paint such things as buildings. This is just going to be awesome when completed, that's for darn sure!!!

I pretty much use the same crayon technique as you've described above. I, too, find that it is a great medium for blending which I strife for like I do for traditional drawing with pencil/color pencils. I just never thought of changing the canvas texture after I'm done to get that special look your final paintings seem to have. I'll have to try that one out the next time around!

Keep up the fantastic work and I can't wait to see the final piece when it's done!!! :)

screenpainter
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Take your time. This is going to be quite amazing. It already is. The colors are fantastic and the sketch is just phenomenal... what a beauty. The color palette is so rich and wonderful and loving the subtle details like where that patterned roof gets a shadow cast on it. Just incredible.

Sketchism71
06-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Flyashy, yachris, een, and gzairborne, thank you ALL for your comments, sorry for the delayed response I have been super busy. Hopefully post an update soon. Thank you!

jbyrjbyr1
06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Sketch, this is a wonderful start. And thanks for sharing your settings and techniques; I'm always looking to add to my meager understanding of the ins and outs of digital art. This will be stunning when complete so don't you DARE stop or you'll have a cadre of irate viewers staging a protest outside your house (or at least several disappointed fans of your work!).
Slow and steady gets it done.
jb

billbonds
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Great beginning; promises to have a grand finish.