PDA

View Full Version : Paint this scene in a different style

Mary
09-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Take this scene, which I did for the 30 minute challenge, and paint it in a different style or with different tools....ie, make it a watercolor painting or crayon drawing. You can add some details or change position of person in scene, if you want, but try to keep the same basic composition.....OK? Let's go paint!

Levent Suberk
09-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Painting the hearts in green and purple.

Bumble
09-04-2006, 02:30 AM
I did This In Felt Pen...

Mary
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Levant, that's very clever! :lol: LOL Inserting 'yourself' in the scene doing a painting. But I hope people don't get the idea the challenge is to EDIT the painting at the top like in a relay .... the challenge is to paint another version that uses similar COMPOSITION but different ArtRage tools or a different style.

Bumble...That's it....a unique and different version. I really like impressionism and pointellism....so I REALLY like this look you've created! :D

Levent Suberk
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Simply love.

Mary
09-05-2006, 02:47 AM
hmmmm.....interesting texture.

Which tool did you use here, you didn't say? Looks a little like it's been run thru a PS filter.

Levent Suberk
09-05-2006, 05:09 AM
hmmmmm.... you are so clever dear Mary!!!! No, I didn't use PS filter, I made it with Artrage pastels and draw that heart with Artrage oils. When I want to paint this scene I doubled it's size then reduce due to small size. Allright Injun?

Mary
09-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Sorry Levent...I hope you weren't insulted by use of the word 'filter' LOL

This is a really nice look with the pastels. I love the looseness you have.

pls8xx
09-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Can I play too?

Mary
09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
ooooo--pretty! Nice water pls8xx. Nice accent on the birch trees too.

pls8xx
09-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks Mary. It was a fun project to do. But I think I need to disqualify myself.

I'm new here and should have checked out the forum a bit more before I jumped in. In the first place I took more than the 30 min to do the work, more like an hour. And at the time I had not yet downloaded ArtRage, so I used what I had.

I thought I was working with a handicap, but maybe not. My work was done with a mouse and the paint tools of a photo editor, PhotoImpact.

Now before everyone gets a rope to hang me, please let me say that what I did was not a cut and paste job. I started with a blank canvass and only used tools that lay down color and blend it.

I now have ArtRage and I think I am going to like it. It has the "feel" of working with real paint and not near so complicated as the tools of PhotoImpact. But at first glance, there are some things that ArtRage doesn't have, where the photo editor can speed things along.

maror
09-08-2006, 04:22 AM
welcome pls8xx

why disqualify? artrage is good (or the best at the moment :wink: ) solution for natural painting. but it is not a shame to use other tools! make it easy, what way and tools you use is unimportant!
only what you have to do is saing the truth... :lol:

btw nice pitures in here...is a good idea mary...

greez maror

Mary
09-08-2006, 08:50 AM
pls8xx, just to clarify....the "30 minute painting" is another project. No time constraints here. The painting that started this thread was a result of the 30 minute challenge, but that doesn't mean you can't take whatever time you want.

It would be interesting to see, now that you have ArtRage, how different your same painting could look if you re-did in AR instead of PI.

Mary
09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I've been wanting to try painting something using the chalk tool.....but pastels and fall scenes are not my strongest skills. LOL Step back from your monitor a few feet and this may look OK. :wink:

Bumble
09-09-2006, 10:06 AM
That is really good, I Love the colours in that one and the style. Very good Mary :lol:

Mary
09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Thank you very much Bumble.

Anybody want to try a winter version?

Selby
10-08-2006, 10:53 AM
well orinally i was going to try a winter version but thats not how it turned out....so here is a very loose version of your scene in blues

Selby

D Akey
10-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I really love your thick paint, Selby! Tough to control sometimes, but your color and strokes make it very pleasurable to look at.

You have purity in your color.

Keep up the good work.

Selby
10-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks D Akey I am making myself paint at the moment to practice....was something i alway shied away from cause it was harder to do than pencil or markers :roll: but actually now im giving myself permission to not have it perfect im finding it can be rather good fun :D

Selby

halley
10-09-2006, 06:46 AM
A quickie in pencil. I then gave just a hint of airbrush to "lead" the eye into color, without pushing it.

Mary
10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Selby....Nice twist on the theme....I like the monochromatic blues...makes me feel like he's fishing on a warm summer night.

halley....gosh! that really makes the scene look different. Good pencil work....great suggestion of detail. You have good control of that tool.

Levent Suberk
10-10-2006, 01:13 AM
I just want to say, this topic is most interesting one.....keep going...where are the other artragers?!

Mary, I want to see your beautiful works in gallery page... you Injun.....

Mary
10-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Spread the word Levent....I'd like to see more interpretations too. :wink:

I've been swamped lately and haven't had any time to do any ArtRage for Gallery or anything else. I signed up for a couple of online software classes and it's proving to be "too much at once". I kinda knew that when I signed up.....LOL.....but one of the programs has turned into a real challenge! Not the nice, smooth operation like ArtRage!

Levent Suberk
10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Dedicated to inblue.........

Selby
10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
hehe Levent thats very neat :D

Selby

mbarren
10-14-2006, 05:13 AM
After finishing i saw selby's version, i do notice the similarities

TheOcean
10-15-2006, 10:20 AM
I made a surrealist version of the painting... Everything's different, but I tried to keep the shapes of things close. Hope this isn't TOO far away from what you meant, Mary. I'm glad I didn't go with my first idea: a minimalist one!

Selby
10-15-2006, 04:46 PM
ooh good stuff mbarren and TheOcean nice to see your take on this :D

Selby

Mary
10-16-2006, 07:47 AM
mbarren....nicely done moonlight hitting that tree. Makes a great focal point. Cool. 8)

TheOcean....well, that defintely is surrealist! Took me a moment to see the relationship to the original project. :wink: But I do see it. Very unique and original. Forks as trees....hmmm. Pray tell, what is the meaning of the 8-ball in the sky?

Now you've got me curious about what the minimalist version would have looked like!

TheOcean
10-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Pray tell, what is the meaning of the 8-ball in the sky?

Now you've got me curious about what the minimalist version would have looked like!
Well, Mary, if you imagine a hippopotamus in a tuxedo climbing a defective plastic house, you might understand the eight ball. Oh, and he's whistling the theme to "Bridge Over the River Kwai." In other words, it means absolutely, positively nothing.

On the minimalist version, I would picture something like this. Beautiful, eh?

Mary
10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
****On the minimalist version, I would picture something like this. ****

Gosh, that's dark. LOL :wink:

D Akey
10-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Aaaah so, Curly Joe.

Minimalism is manner which you paint eightball of Damaclese hanging over head.

Must to contemplate is 8 on the hidden side?

Too complex for simple werewolf.

TheOcean
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Forsooth! The autocratic cockroach glistens upon the upper syntax of Democratus, as the eightball traverses counterclockwise to Virginia.

Found amongst a pile of consumed innovation, the beach lifts to denial.

timq
11-17-2006, 12:32 AM
my version

PurpleSmash
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
my first post, all comments and critisism appreciated.... seriously i need it!

Mary
02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
LOL....love it! :lol: Great interpretation! Very clever!

PurpleSmash
02-17-2008, 12:06 PM
cheers, one my first so thnx!

Caesar
02-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Challenging and interesting proposal. i'll try as soon as I've half an hour, but I think we should also paint with different styles the lovely Mrs Mary amusingly smiling and holding the hat on her Avatar! :lol:

Caesar
02-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Here's the first delivery. Just one layer, brush only, standard paper, less than one hour. Nothing pecial I'm afraid.

PurpleSmash
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
nice i like the textures and i like the ease of it if you know what i mean.... its not flashy but its not to simple.......... better than mine atleast :o

Caesar
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Thank You Purple! :D The AR version resolution and colours are better, but still not such good work.
I saw You used paint tubes (I guess) and it's not easy at all. I worked with them experimenting their plastic effects some month ago and it takes time to get good results. :wink:

Caesar
02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
As proposed to enrich this thread. Scene + Mary

PurpleSmash
02-22-2008, 05:34 AM
lol what the hell, i like it very kool

cryztalwing
03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Here is mine.

PurpleSmash
03-06-2008, 10:05 AM
very smooth.... the seal like animal ( i dont know exactly what it is lol ) kinda reminds me of pokemon!