PDA

View Full Version : Fnished!!! Clint Eastwood Portrait!

flyashy
05-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi All,
Just finished it.
Well, it's never finished, but i think this it it.
So have a look and tell me what you think.

ta,
ashy

coops
05-30-2009, 08:22 AM
This is outstanding Flyashy, I saw it in the projects and wow the finished paintings just blows me away. You are one talented person and hope to see more of your work.

sabena
05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
HI flyashy

This is special is wonderful:D

Rick
05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
This ranks with some of the top paintings i have seen on this forum.. It is a work you should be truly proud of..

fraser_paice
05-30-2009, 08:34 AM
This is great... made my day... sorry sorry... It is fantastic...

flyashy
05-30-2009, 08:39 AM
:)))
Thank you all for the kind words!!

weembaman
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Excellent work...Looking forward to seeing more...:)

Sketchism71
05-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Saaaawwwwweeeet Flyashy! I was in the mood for a good ol' western today;). This is just fantastic. Now I am a big fan of old Clint and of your artwork! Awesome!!!!:D:D

Eileen724
05-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, how I like that Clint Eastwood dude! What a great portrait painting you have done, Flyashy!

Jim Walsh
05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
well this made my day

Caesar
05-30-2009, 07:07 PM
A guy we love very much, in this country of Sergio Leone and his Spaghetti Western with him and a bunch of other great actors (such as Lee Van Clift) start starring in them!
Well done!

SCP
05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes very nice work and one of my fav actors/directors and movies.Great painting flyashy.:):)

Lima
05-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Beautiful and powerful paint.:)

flyashy
05-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Thank You!
:)
I was also hoping someone would be kind enough to critique, point out any mistakes, short comings, so i can improve.
ta,
ashy

Bumble
05-31-2009, 04:20 AM
That is awsome:eek: wonderful:)

screenpainter
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes awesome! Beautiful work. Love the touches of canvas showing through. Love the dark and light contrasts and great composition, but really a fine job of drawing and painting that ultimately makes this one stand out. The color choices are fantastic and very realistic.

Little_John
05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
This is a wonderful painting. I grew up on Clint Eastwood westerns and I think it does him much justice.

Very well done.

mojo1975
05-31-2009, 04:38 PM
To be honest, I think that you have done a fantastic job. Have you tried to make some smoke coming off of the cigarette? Just a suggestion to a well done painting

flyashy
06-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks.

I realise now, I should have put it up in the critique gallery for crits..

Taron
06-01-2009, 02:18 AM
That's very good, Flyashy!
It's also a really nice study to show some of the common challenges during the development of great skill and you sure are well on your way.

The first challenge is also going to be one that'll stay with you for a while, because it's tough to recognize and understand. It has to deal with the contrast of details, especially skin folds. You've worked out the skin folds on his forehead very carefully and explicitly, appearantly inventing the wrinkles over the bridge of the nose, but with it you've lost focus on the overall brightness levels or rather gradient along the forehead. It took away some of the volume of the head there, turning it a bit flat. These wrinkles, however, are actually a key feature of Clint Eastwood, as they are the center of his iconic expression. I'd always recommend putting the best effort into the key places of any image. In this case it's that. In other cases it may be the lips, a tree, a bump in a street, a shoe...it can be anything, but you can feel it when you look at it. Just trust where your eyes are leading you. They want to rest on something automatically.

Anyway, it's a great piece and you're displaying wonderful talent. Congrats!

flyashy
06-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi Taron,
Thank You Very Much,

I knew while making those wrinkles that there was something wrong with them (visually) but could not put my finger on it and hence could not correct it.

I think I know what you mean by the gradient; it's also visible in the leather band on the hat, except there it's a flat horizontally curved plane. where as the wrinkles sit on a complex plane and curve also in multiple directions. While the hat band appears (at least to me) a bit better resolved, the wrinkles are not part of the forehead and stick out I suppose. the Am I on track here?

I find it difficult to spot inconsistencies while working on something even tho I keep flipping it H & V.

Thanks for the error spotting. I'll have a go at it.
ashy

Taron
06-01-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm always happy to help! ;)

You've also been splitting the main fold over the nose in two, by the way, which causes it to flatten out. Turn it back into one a bit fatter "sausage" and the wrinkle itself will get back volume. Watch the skin tone and specular components. In the shade it either gets bounce light or reflects the brightest object being lit infront of him, which could well be the ground. It'll be diffused, but it'll show up only at directly reflecting angles and vanish quickly as the skin turns away from it. It should be consistent throughout the whole face, though, especially in the shadowed areas. The image you've used as reference shows it quite well, by the way. Trust it, but it's very contrasty. You might want to scout for similar reference. It's well worth it and a fantastic study!

flyashy
06-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Taron,
I must try that out.
Hey any advice on blending in ArtRage?
I had such difficulty while blending colors smoothly..that I left a few things I knew were wrong..(the bright orange patch on the forehead etc..)
I find that to do a brushy painting is very easy and cool in AR but to to that detailed smooth blended tone is very difficult..
Or am I missing something? I read about setting the loading to 0% but that doesn't seem to do much, or using the crayon, which always loads a lil color, and hence is not for me..
Any advice would be quite helpful..
ta,
ashy

ScottF
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Super job!

As you mentioned, nothing is ever really finished--you just get to the point you donīt want to do any more. Regardless, this is one very fine painting. I look forward to seeing a lot more of your work!

RobertSWade
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
That's Fist Full of Fantastic. :eek:

Taron
06-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Hmmm, I'd think you you wouldn't show any difficulties with blending, meaning that it looks great in that regard. But either way, there are many ways to go about it, depending on what it is that you're after.

For the most control you might want to turn off grains and use chalk or oil pastelle and a lot of color picking. Don't forget that the settings are your best friend with all tools. It takes a moment to figure out what's your favorite dials.

I often love working with oil turned off insta dry and little thinner, but it's a tough esotheric thing, because blending can create some sense of no control very easily. I believe the main trouble is only the color bit depth that creates high saturations the more you blend around with oil. But if you vary and turn on insta dry strategically well, you can get wonderful dynamics. I love that it gives you far more than perfectly smooth gradients.

Also when you do color picking, make sure you use proper settings there, too. First and foremost turn off lighting for the picker! The rest you'll figure out yourself, too!

michaelw
06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
heh hh he, I'm a big fan of Eastwood and this is a nice tribute to him!

case
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
nice painting, i really like it :)
i'll use it as my desktop background for a time if you don't mind :)

blurymind
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
awesome... I love the canvas texture too

flyashy
06-02-2009, 09:54 PM

@Case you're welcome to use it as your wallpaper. No probs :)

@blurymind, thanks, I see you're already a fan of the "man with no name'. :)

@michalew, thanks, and Mr.Eastwood was one of the coolest isn't it? (well except for the cigarello I suppose..HAHA!!)

:D
ta,
ashy

byroncallas
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Great painting. And I've appreciated the give and take exchange you've had with Taron - I've found it instructive.

Your work is wonderful.

flyashy
06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks ByronC
and the exchange was thanks to Taron, he's been a great help.
ta,
ashy

flyashy
01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh Wow, Ambient Spotlights?? :D :D

when did this happen??

Thanks for putting this up here.
Proud to have my work in this section :) :)

Jasminek
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Like this portrait.

I always love to do the portrait but have all kinds of problems. I studied with an art-teacher when I was little, he told me to excel on other things not portraits, still I WANT to do portraits!!!:(

kenmo
01-26-2010, 04:50 AM
I'm in complete awe....!!! Incredible art....

flyashy
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
@kenmo, thanks :)
@jasmineek, thank you, & yes I find portraits and painting with human figures the most gratifying. It becomes much more personal and has a story to tell :)

Stephen Lo Piano
10-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Good work and well done. Facial details are excellent.

leechie
10-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Very cool and well done

flyashy
12-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Thank you so much leechie & stephen.
Cheers!

Bobbyray
12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Ahhhh your back...good to see you again on the forums.

Hey we have a new way for Ragers to be in the ArtRageUS magazine....submit some paintings to me at [email protected] (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/[email protected]) this one is awsome my friend....wow :eek:

vanGoo61
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
That,s good !, josie wailes is,nt that scene where that nervous bounty hunter ,came back in to die? i igot a clint pic. in my future to do , and you just raised the bar !

danny72
03-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Hi All,
Just finished it.
Well, it's never finished, but i think this it it.
So have a look and tell me what you think.

ta,
ashy I would like to see the reference picture. Nice painting, but its hard to see,that it is Clint Eastwood.

Trex 550 Pilot
05-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Awesome! Clint Eastwood has always been one of my favorite actors and I really like this painting. Fabulous work!