PDA

View Full Version : Modernized Classic Art: A Challenge

cathyd
05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi all, I was cruising through some public domain images early this morning for some angel art and found not only a lot of that sort, but ran across an artist who alters older artwork, adding her own interpretation to it. I found her art amazing and the concept so intriguing I had to give it a try. So, here is my first attempt. I created a background, altered the image itself, embellished it with stencils, and gave it a border. UPDATE: Hey guys, I found the image I originally worked with was not public domain! :eek: I was clicking between images so links so fast I lost track, but I went back later tonight and double-checked. So glad I did! I decided to choose another image to work into the same background and so forth that I created for the first one. I kind of think the first one worked better, but one thing is for certain, I don't want to use anything that belongs to someone else. :o Besides, this one is really cute. Anyhoo, here it my final result, with a copy of the uploaded image I used below it. At least you can get the idea from this. I can't wait to see what some of you are going to do with it! :) I got the cute little cherub image here (http://www.angelslight.org/gallery.php)

Here is a few more links to classical images. Some of them are listed as "public domain" and others can be purchased in the area of ninety-nine cents to around five dollars or so.

Vintage Resources here (http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/vintageresources.html)

Vintage Art Download here (http://www.vintageartdownload.com)

Karen Whimsy here (http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/)

Enjoy!

Blessings, Cathy

SCP
05-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Nice work and a great idea cathyd;):)

cathyd
05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks a bunch SCP. Your comments are so encouraging! :)

Eileen724
05-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Cathy...this is just so beautiful and unique! I really like this! You've really mastered the stencil work that's for sure. All I can say now is....more, more, more!!! :D

cathyd
05-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks so much Leen, You're so sweet to cheer me on! :) Love and blessings to you, Cathy

irishrose
05-28-2009, 12:39 PM
This is great Cathy!!!! I went to Books A Million today and there are tons of magazines on stamping and collage.. and this is all the rage these days.. you did an awesome job... I have seen some of these as ATC's or ACEO's on Ebay.. you could sell these as little pieces of art! :)

cathyd
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow! I didn't know about that, Irishrose. I mean the Ebay thing as a channel for this artwork and all. What do the initials stand for? I didn't know there was a name for them. :p Hmmmm! Now I'm curious. :D And thanks a lot for the lovely comment. :) I've been interested in collage for some time. I'll be waiting to see what you post when you get into these things. I wouldn't mind a little tip about those magazines too. Thanks again girlie. :) Love and blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Cathy, thanks for asking..

ATC - Artist Trading Card (normally traded)

ACEO - Art Card Editions and Originals (usually sold)

Size constraints are 2.5" x 3.5". Tiny little works of art.. they are all over Ebay, and Etsy. :)

Gosh, I couldn't even tell you the names of the mags... I couldn't afford buying them (I would have bought them all)... but they are in the craft section at Books A Million :)

cathyd
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks bunches. I hate to ask more questions, but what is an Artist Trading Card and that other thing? :o Guess I need to check out EBay, huh? And hey, I can look up some mags online too.

irishrose
05-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Ask away!!! They are tiny cards, have to be a certain size (the 2.5 x 3.5 inches) and sold for lots of money (many people make and sell them on Ebay). They can be done in many different styles.. watercolor, acrylic, collage, pencil, etc. Just have to be the right size. Many people take old playing cards, gesso them and paint over them. :) They actually have trading card sleeves for them to display them ... or to put into a book if you like. I have many.. but most of mine were traded, not bought. I have done many projects on WetCanvas where we trade with people all over the world. I usually try to do a theme. It's SOOO fun!

Oh, and on Ebay there is a whole section of supplies for ACEO's.. Just look up ACEO. It's a growing art, and it has just taken off in the last few years.

cathyd
05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks gazillions, Irishrose. I am definitely going to check these things out. Sounds like lots of fun. Can't wait to get started on these. :)

irishrose
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
You can buy packs of the ACEO size papers in all different kinds (watercolor paper, canvas, bristol board, etc.) on Dickblick.com and they are made by Strathmore. I think you just look up Strathmore ATC paper or ACEO papers :) They are like 2 bucks for a pack of 10. And Ebay has them even cheaper. :) They are so fun. They are even doing art now called inchies... yes, you got it, a one INCH square. I can't barely fit art on the ACEO size paper, let alone an INCHIE! ;) Fun though!

Will be back tomorrow... bedtime for me.. up at 5 am... and at least 20 mins of reading a night (a must as part of my OCD LOL) ;)

Hugs, Rose

Levent Suberk
05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Very good idea and very beautiful work dear Cathyd.

coops
05-28-2009, 10:06 PM
This is lovely and I do agree that it would make a super set of cards.

cathyd
05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks so much Levent and Coops for your lovely comments and encouragement! It is so much appreciated. And Coops, I am thinking seriously about doing those cards. Thanks again, guys. ;)

irishrose
05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
As Nike would say... JUST DO IT! ;) You're great at it! And Digital Art counts!

cathyd
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey, thanks a lot, Irishrose for the encouragement. You're the most! ;) Say, is it possible to get digital art printed on those cards??? If not, I thought of doing mixed-media collages, using images from my digital art and other sources and do a little painting on them too. And so on. ???

irishrose
05-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Cathy, you sure can... you just have to cut them to size, but make sure when you are printing that they are the right size for ACEO. You can do about 8 paintings and then print at the same time, cut to the size, and you're off. Collage.. that's a bit different if you are using glue and stuff, but I guess you could start with a digital background and embellish, I know a lot of people do. Jeremy Sutton (Painter, I know, but he's a true digital icon).. he often does his digital paintings large on paper and then goes over them with acrylic, etc. to make them pop out more. Just a thought. :) Hugs!

cathyd
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Gee, thanks, Rose. You are so full of info. What a blessing you are! That sounds about my speed and like something I had in mind. :D Thanks more than you know. Thx! Thx! Thx! Love and hugs, Cathy

irishrose
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Cathy, anytime. Just send me an email with questions and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction for anything you need (if I can! ;))

cathyd
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I think I am learning from Foxytocin. It looks like there needs to be a bit of a challenge here too. :D I found some great sources of public domain classical art images. I will post those as soon as I can. That should help. I would love to see what some of you come up with. And I would love to see more of the classical art revived and even modernized as I have done in my original post on this thread, except in your own style. Or if you like mine you are more than welcome to do something similar. Can't wait! :D Cathy

cathyd
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Okay, I posted several more links in my original post in this thread for "public domain" classical and vintage images -- and those, which can be purchased for as little -- as ninety-nine cents to around five dollars. Happy hunting! I'm looking forward to seeing the new and exciting ways you come up with for reviving classical art! :D Blessings, Cathy