PDA

View Full Version : The "Build a Bouquet Stencil Challenge"

foxytocin
05-24-2009, 06:24 AM
I made a set of stencils the other day and have had a blast playing with them. I thought that maybe other people here would have a fine time as well.
There were too many images to upload here, so I've put them up over at Deviant Art: http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/art/Flower-and-Vase-Clips-Stock-123349804 Click on the download link there and you should be able to dump the unzipped file straight into your Stencils folder on your computer.

These are simple and quick to use...I look foward to seeing what such a creative batch of people can make with them!
Florally yours,
Foxytocin/Leah

foxytocin
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Here are my first two contributions to the challenge.........with the teapot, I was going for a folk art flair...with the little vase, I was just having aimless fun.

yachris
05-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Fun challenge, Foxytocin -- I really like your vase. It has the feeling of being done very quickly, but it has a lot of verve!

Here's my take... again, can't resist mixing styles.

Eileen724
05-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Okay, Foxy...here's my challenge...of sorts! It's not exactly a bouquet but is done with your wonderful stencils (and some manual stuff done by me!)

This is pretty nostalgic for me since I loved doing this with crayons when I was young (so very long ago....!!!). I just loved scratching away the black crayon to see the delightful colors come through! I had just as much fun and delight doing it in ArtRage!!!

Thanks, Foxy....nice challenge and it was very therapeutic for me!!!

cathyd
05-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey foxytocin, What a neat idea! You did it again. :) Lovely and fanciful work, guys! Blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Will be back later after shopping, want to try my hand at this... thanks Foxy for doing this! The work is LOVELY, and Een... I have done that type of scratch board drawing many times with my kids and many crayons!!! I love it!!!

foxytocin
05-25-2009, 03:40 AM
It took me a moment to recognize that "to Foxy" meant to me. Hah!
Yachris, your's is both elegant and delightful. Een, I never would have thought to go for a scratchboard look. Clever....
I put some flowers in a shoe today...
And thanks for the kind words, everyone. I thought this would be something simple and fun and it cheers me to see other people have a good time.

Eileen724
05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Foxy, I absolutely love the shoe!!! Reminds me of the story about the Old Woman and the Shoe! Whoa...taking myself back a long ways...:D!

This was fun for me and I am glad you like my "scratch" art effect using your stencils. This was very enjoyable and I look forward to the next challenge by you!!!

cathyd
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Leen, I love your scratch work too! :) And foxytocin, I love that shoe. Wow! I just downloaded those stencils. Perhaps I will get to do one of these soon. :D

cathyd
05-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi foxy! I finally did it. I combined your stencils and MisterPaint's -- creating a colorful background with your flowers and hearts -- and using your vase and MisterPaint's stencils for the main image. Your stencils are so much fun! I made the background a bit transluscent to work with the vase, bouquet, and all. But the background was even more cheerful and colorful by itself before I lightened it for the effect I wanted for this piece. I think I created it almost entirely from your stencils. You have so many I want to really play with them and do another. Thanks again, foxy. You are so sweet to share! ;) Blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Foxy, that shoe is AWESOME! And Cathy, wow, vases with flowers and lace to die for! Wonderful! I am in the mood now to paint... just my kids won't let me and I hear the washer whirring ... ugh!

cathyd
05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks so much Rose. I was still playing with foxy's stencils when I noticed my feet were grotesquely swollen (side effects of chemo). :eek::eek: I wanna' keep painting too! But I gotta' get off this computer and put my feet up. Bah, humbug! :p Later, Cathy :)

irishrose
05-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh Cathy! ((((HUG)))) I feel for you. I will be praying the swelling goes down. I know how much you love playing with the stencils. God will hear the prayers and you'll be feeling better soon!! xoxo

foxytocin
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Cathy, that's beautiful....just look at that! I am so tickled to see other people have fun with these stencils.
Chemo, eh? That has got to be the pits. Hope that you are finding your art projects to be good therapy.
Rose, can't wait to see what you come up with too.....

cathyd
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks so much Rose and Foxy for the thoughts and prayers. And yes indeed, I do find the artwork along with the stencils to be great therapy! As bad as it is to go through cancer and chemo, I have used the available time to plow into the various creative arts that had been lying on the shelf far too long! So I started composing music again, writing poetry again, producing videos, and creating art again. Even on days when I did not feel I could do anything at all I would sit down at this computer and do one of those things. I refused to let my mind be idle. Combined with my faith, the support of my husband, and online communities with great friends like you guys here on AR, I have had a lot of joy through what would be considered one of the worst times in my life. Don't get me wrong, I have had my moments, but they have been "moments." So, I was once again playing with your wonderful stencils, foxy, when I realized I needed to stop. I was like a little kid. I wanted to keep playing! Hah! LOL! Anyhoo, your stencils bring a lot of joy to people. Keep on making and sharing them! By the way, I love your teapot bouquet and that shoe! I want to do something like that but it keeps coming out a different way! :p:D:rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to keep playing with your stencils (my excuse :D) until I do. :) And Rose, thank you so much for all your encouragement and sharing your vast knowledge with me toward getting my art out there. Love and hugs to both of you, Cathy ;)

irishrose
05-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Foxy.. will have to be this weekend... my son may have strep. And I was supposed to go in for my appt today to talk about surgery, oh well.. Murphy's Law! UGH!

Cathy, you know you have my prayers... and will be thinking about you. Write me ANYTIME!!! You are a blessing to AR!!! Will be back. xoxox

foxytocin
06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Rose, I would love to see what you come up with!
And Cathy, so good to know that you haven't grown up too much.....your young heart will serve you well in these times of strife....
Meanwhile, I having such a ball making stencils! Have you tried any of the build-a-birdies (http://foxytocin.deviantart.com/art/Build-a-birdie-ArtRage-Stencil-123915805) yet? I made them to match the floral stencils here. One of these days I'll get around to making a few shoe stencils as well......

cathyd
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Foxy, No. I haven't had the chance to do the birdie thing, yet, but I am so glad you told me about it. I am still playing with your other stencils. :D And I love that shoe! I will be glad when you make those. Ohhhh...I almost forgot! I made a couple of "white picket fence" stencils today! Will share ASAP. In the meantime, have a lot of stencil fun! *** Rose, I hope your son is feeling much better. Strep can be pretty rough. Anyhoo, love and prayers to both of you and your families. ;) Cathy

irishrose
06-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Cathy and Foxy, thank you for thinking of me, I will have something soon... I have some time today, FINALLY! Cathy, my son Luke ended up not having strep, just bad allergies. After today, only 7 days left of school. WOO HOO! These kids need a rest! My 8th grader has finals all week, so he's stressed too. I need to de-stress with the forum here! I have downloaded your stencils, Foxy. Going to give them a whirl! xoxox Will be back later, and thank you again for your kind words, you gals are my support system, better than a Wonder Bra! ;)

cathyd
06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Hah! LOL! Rose, you are just too funny! :D I have to agree with you about the Wonder Bra, thing. You girls (and I mean, we are girls, right? :D) are my support system too. And how! I am so glad about your son. Keep me in prayer -- a couple of medical things going on -- so I may not be on the computer as much for a few days or so. Hi Foxy girl, your stencils are a real blessing. Love and hugs to both of "yus!" ("Yus" is something I am hearing a lot in New Jersey -- where I come from in NC -- we have our own thing as "ya'll" know). Hee hee hee!

irishrose
06-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Cathy, you know I have you in prayer... glad you liked the wonder bra joke... really, I was over the top when i heard about that years ago.. I told myself no WAY was I buying one of those... like what do they do? Turn you into Wonder Woman or something? Yikes!

And sorry you will be away, we will miss you so... I know you have things to do, and so do I. You don't know how glad I am as well that my son doesn't have strep. This is finals week for my 14 yr old. Ugh! A long week indeed, but only 3 days then after Friday. Woo hoo!

Take care, y'all (we say that all the time in the South too, but I am a native New Yawker and hard for me to say it without laughing! haha)

Hugs and xoxo girlies. ;)

Lee
06-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Dear CathyD, you have been a real treasure here and sure hope and pray you feel better, even though you may not hear from us all you still are being watched:eek: and thought of, and our Miss Irish Rose sure is a true light! best wishes!!! xox:)

irishrose
06-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Awww, shucks, Lee.... you're making me blush! ;) xoxox

cathyd
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Gosh, Lee, I feel greatly humbled. :o You are a bright and shining light yourself here on AR, with you glitter and all (pun intended!) :D. Truly, you are. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. ;) And Rose, is true to your compliment. Not only has she blessed others on AR, but me too. Love and hugs to both of you, Cathy

irishrose
06-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Great new Avatar Cathy!!! And you know, I could get a big head from this (not that it isn't already blown up by now with all your kind compliments)... ah, just call me the cheerleader of AR since I have no time to paint.. just GO GO GO, girls!!! Give me an A, give me an R.. LOL... Rah Rah!

cathyd
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Hah! LOL! And hey -- about those cheerleading letters -- you got it girlie! I'm doing flips and cartwheels right now! Yeah, in my dreams I am! :D And thanks for your kind words about my new avatar. I will PM you about that. ;)

cathyd
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Foxy, I am sorry this is not another bouquet, but I was busy as a bee in my stencil garden! :D The white picket fence is from a stencil I made. I will share it soon. I had a lot of fun with this. ;) Blessings, Cathy

coops
06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Love your stencil garden Cathy and thanks to you and Irishrose for making me smile this morning with your great banter, you are both so witty. A great way to start the day:)

foxytocin
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Buuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-er-riffic! And that picket fence is great....makes me think we need to make some birdhouses for it. There's some scrapbookers out there who would eat that up.....

irishrose
06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Cathy, how delightful!!! Makes me feel like going out on the swings and swinging all day! :) So light and happy!!!! :)

cathyd
06-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Rose, What do you mean, don't laugh???!!! Your painting is full of love and cheer! Me, I didn't try to coordinate colors or anything. :o I just had fun! ;) Thanks for your lovely comment, though. :D I wish I had more time to play with Foxy's stencils. I have so much to catch up on when I can. The medical things seem to be getting better. But I will still need to rest more than I have lately. Will check into ArtRage as much as I can. Love and hugs, Cathy

Eileen724
06-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Wow, what a delight it was to come back to this thread since I've last posted to see so much banter and additional artwork! Bravo everyone for just adorable and charming pieces of art using Foxy's stencils! What a truly enjoyable challenge this ended up being, Foxy! Way to go, everyone!!!

cathyd
06-03-2009, 06:51 AM
It's good to have you, back, Een! I missed you. :D Yeah, we have been bantering away on here. We have all had so much fun with foxy's stencils. ;) Thanks for your kind words, as always. Cathy

cathyd
06-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Hey Rose, I forgot to mention. Swinging in the park or on our swing set was one of my favorite things when I was growing up. I still love it. My grandmother used to have a swing on her front porch too. How many happy days did I have swinging on that porch and grasping catalpa leaves off the tree and slapping them between my hands and hearing them make a loud "pop!." :D There was a catalpa tree next to the porch where the swing was and its branches leaned over into the porch a little so I was able to grasp them as I was swinging. Just thought I would share a little since these cheery paintings remind me of those days. And hey, I like your new avatar too. Very pretty. I forgot to mention it but it was on my mind to tell you. ;)

foxytocin
06-03-2009, 07:48 AM
So glad we've had so much fun here.....I'm at work so can't type much, but you all sure made me smile this afternoon...

irishrose
06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Ah, you girls... we have a girl's club here now! I love it! Een, good to see you!!! And Foxy, sorry you have to work, but your stencils ROCK!!! I had a lot of fun in the 1/2 hour I got to enjoy them today. Can't wait till school is out.

Cathy, yes, those were good times. When I was in school (2nd, 3rd grade, around there), I was always the first one to run and get a swing first because I knew I'd have to wait, so I'd push my way through the crowd to get one. :) And I almost always did. hehe... I'm glad you have great memories of those times too! It's nice to have something to look back upon that makes you smile!

We'll keep on bantering, it's FUN! xoxo

cathyd
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah, right? I enjoy our girls' club banter too. Hey, girls rock! :D And hey, foxy, so glad we could make you smile. Like your stencils make us smile. ;)

irishrose
06-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Amen to everything Cathy said... GIRLS ROCK!! ;)

Eileen724
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes, girls do rock! I have five sisters (no brothers) and grew up in a small three bedroom home with ONE bathroom! It was "girl-time" all the time in my home. We didn't have a swing but we used to get dressed up on Saturday nights in these frilly skirts (fu-fu's?) and dance in the livingroom to Lawrence Welk!!! Talk about hilarious and fun! Then, to round things off, we'd take off our frills and then pair up to have boxing matches...ding...ding...come out fighting...was what we'd chant! Now, we just have an annual PJ party in which we drink and eat to our delight without the men. My nieces and all of the daughter-in-laws now join us so we're usually in for a real interesting time!!! When my three sons were younger, I use to tease them by telling them, "Boys stink and girls are #1!!!!" It would rattle their cages everytime!!! Okay, that's my rant-from-the-past!!!

irishrose
06-04-2009, 01:54 AM
LMBO Een!!! We had 3 girls and one boy... and of course, the boy was the youngest, so yes, boys STINK! :) I also remember getting dressed up and dancing, mostly to Christmas Music like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra... every once in a while my mom would put on one of her favorites to get her motivated.. a musical Zorba the Greek.. we would dance around and clean! Ugh! I liked the music though! Those were the days... and yes, we had one bathroom too... for 6 people.. 3 of them girls... nothing like a jam up all the time... and having to 'hold it in' when someone took too long... and of course, the bathroom always had a problem. Thanks for the memories Een!!!! Lawrence Welk was my grandmother's absolute favorite, he and Liberace!

cathyd
06-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Hi ya, Een girlie! That is too funny! Sounds like you had a fun time growing up, and now with the PJ parties. At one time we lived near my grandmother and great grandmother when I was little. My mother and two sisters and my grandparents would gather in my great grandmother's living room to watch Lawrence Welk religiously as long as we lived near her. And yeah, there were the three girls -- my sisters and I -- and my mother until I was about twelve years old. Then we became a twisted version of the Brady bunch! LOL! We had nine people in the house and one bathroom. :eek: Ouch! When my mother remarried I gained four new sisters (two married and two at home) and two brothers. That was something entirely new! Brothers. My younger brother, a twin was a big bully, but my older brother was my music buddy. I never heard secular music before my mother remarried, only gospel music and Lawrence Welk. Turns out my big brother had a beach band. They were great! I just thought they were the most and I had a huge crush on one of the band members. :o One of my new sisters and me got to go with the band to a sock hop one night. That was my first experience with dancing. Boy, did I ever embarrass myself! But did I ever have fun! Then my new older sister at home used to let me play her top 40s and oldie goldies. She taught me a few dance steps. And then I was hooked! I'm afraid I was corrupted. :eek::D Heehee! Chuckle. Life was not all grand in a step-family and the Brady bunch we were not, but we had a lot of fun along the way too. And I had a wonderful new father that I prayed for. Within three weeks of my praying my very specific little prayer every night as a young girl my mother met my father and they were married three weeks later. Hey, I asked for more sisters and some brothers too! :rolleyes: In fact I made seven specific requests that were answered exactly as I asked, in a total of six weeks! Isn't our Lord wonderful! Hey, Girlies, do we need a blog??? Only joking. Hah! LOL! :D And hey, foxy, did you know your stencil thread was going to turn into a girlie club? Heehee! :p

cathyd
06-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Hey Rose girlie, I have a father-in-law, who sounds almost exactly like Frank Sinatra. He is Italian and in his eighties. Yet he goes to the rest homes and sings for the old folks. LOL! :D Isn't that cute? He also sings at various clubs and functions. When he arrives, the DJ always says, "Frankie is in the house!" He has a bit of a following. I'll try to send you a few tunes. He also plays golf and travels down to Florida for a few months during the winter. He stays very busy. He is in better shape than me! :o:rolleyes::D Anyhoo, thought you'd enjoy this. Later, girls.

sweetpulp2004
06-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey.

I painted this during my first days with Artrage starter edition.. Childish kinda work naa ?

Chirag.

sweetpulp2004
06-04-2009, 06:47 AM
M sorry... Hope i havent disturbed ur talks... I didnt read them before i posted my paint... Anyways do carry on ... :D

Chirag

Selby
06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
dont worrry sweetpulp the ladies are all really friendly and you wont disturb their banter a bit:)

lovely vase you contributed...i dont think it childish at all:)

cathyd
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey Sweetpulp, That's really lovely, your painting. Very cheerful. And no, you did not interrupt our girlie banter at all. In fact, we gotta' get back to the art stuff on here, I'm sure. Before they tell us to knock it off. :o:D And no offense to you guys. We love you too. You know how it is. Girls like to do the girlie talk and you guys like to cajole each other. ;) So glad to see your post. Hi Selby. Nice to meet you. Bless you both, Cathy

irishrose
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Sweetpulp.. that's awesome! Not childish at all (you should see some of mine!!)... we're all still learning from each other here, so it's banter away.. I am the one always asking everyone for a tutorial... how'd you do that? and that sort of thing. Cathy, Een, Foxy and I, even Coops, we just banter away. We do notice new paintings though. Keep them coming... and, oh yeah, how about a tutorial? :D hehe

Cathy, yes, really cool what you wrote... will have to respond soon. We DOOOOO need a blog... any ideas?? LOL.. maybe we just talk too much! Ah, it's therapeutic.. like ART!

cathyd
06-04-2009, 08:19 AM
About the blog, how about "Girls Rock!" Heehee! :D Had to throw that one in.

cathyd
06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey Sweetpulp, Did you see my "Stencil Garden" on the page 3? That was more like child's play. :o:p:D I just had fun with those stencils. ;)

irishrose
06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, AMEN... GIRLS ROCK!!!! ;) You start it, Cathy!!

And yes, your stencil garden is SO CUTE!!!! It has to be up there with the best of the bunch! ;)

cathyd
06-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Heehee! Yeah, Rosie girl, I think I might just do that! We girls have been bantering so on here, I wouldn't want the staff to have to tell us to knock it off! :o:eek::p It looks like I'm in for a rough few days, medically speaking, but as soon as I can. ;) Worked on my music yesterday -- working on a new song -- been neglecting my music too much lately. Reconstructing my personal site too as it was in terrible need of updating. Actually it was an extension of my KASPCo. site (publishing site) and I decided I wanted to try and put everything on one site. Too much material though. Since I have iWeb on my Mac I can divide these sites up into the categories they need to be in and manage it all from there. Have so many sites, that is my goal I'm working on it! :rolleyes::cool::D

irishrose
06-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Will be praying for you (medically speaking) and also that you get all your updates done, Cathy girl! I know the staff doesn't mind.. , we're just having FUN... don't GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN?? ;) Keep on keeping on!

cathyd
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, right? And how! :D Thx much for the prayers! ;) And if you don't think they mind we'll just forget about that blog for now. :p I'm swamped! Added a little of my new gallery site today (that is part of this entire project) with the link in my signature below. Got a new personal site started too. My KASPCO II site was a jumbled up mess! Dividing it up -- well, hacking it up is more the expression that fits here :eek: -- and reconstructing. IWeb makes it so easy to set up several sites and maintain them from one spot. Gotta' rest now. Anyhoo, later, girlies!

irishrose
06-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, go rest, dear Cathy... thinking of you. No more hacking things up. :eek: You're scaring me!!!:o

cathyd
06-05-2009, 11:39 AM
:confused::eek::rolleyes::D

Selby
06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
hehehe hearing cathy say 'hacking it up' about her web page tickled my fancy and made me think of her with a 'hacking' sort of cough only everytime she coughed a new graphic popped out:p:)

wil have to have a go at the challenge here when i get a min:)

cathyd
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Hah! Hah! Heehee! Chuckle. Selby I got quite a kick out of your comment! I am still giggling. Thank you! That's really cute. :o:p:D

cathyd
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Found a nice bouquet photo and made a stencil from it. Was aiming for an impressionistic style. Sort of went by it and sort of added some of my own flowers into it as some of the details were not clear in the original. Created the vase since the original wasn't very clear. Created the background too instead of using the one in the stencil. Was up into the a.m. so it is not quite what it should be. My eyes have grit in them now, so it's to bed I go!