PDA

View Full Version : Julie Cox portrait...

dadicrunch
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Dear members,

I here start a portrait of Julie Cox, a british actress I love...
I am working here with a reference photo which is a wallpaper from Frank Herbert's Children of Dune movie... but everything is drawn without tracing cause I won't be able to consider it done by me in the end...

It will be a work in progress and in the same time exposed to your criticism due to the fact that I am really new to these oil techniques... and because I want to make it the best I could, the best drawing/painting I have ever made till now...

Please enjoy such as criticize it or me, and in advance a enormous thank you to you all, who have passed some time looking at it ;)

Cheers

Pedro

emenemsbis
05-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I think that those bigger lips from sketch are better :) great colours - I'mwaiting for other steps, because now it's hard to tell you anything about this drawing ;)

weembaman
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Looking pretty good so far, I'll be waiting for the next step..:)

mojo1975
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I am a self taught artist and I really like how you show the steps that you are taking and not just the final pic. I am eager to learn and your post has been very helpful.

dadicrunch
05-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi again all and a great thank you to yours answers and advice...

As you could have figured, and as I say I used oil... well the technique is appearing a bit strange to me... paint tube and then a lot of knife... and then the problem... when applying for example a darker tone on a bright one, when applying the knife it does not react as I wanted to :p

sometimes stroking from right to left the dark one impresses on the bright... sometimes doing the same it is the contrary... the bright one quite erases the dark one...

Well I tried today to advance it a bit but then I felt a lack of inspiration, or maybe the heart not at it with this technique... then I tried a variation of the technique, chalk and knife.... which is quite the technique I used to work with at work with dry pastel and cotton pads (and acÚtone too :p)

and here is a quick result...

so which technique do you prefer ? which version you love the most.... the first one ? oil and knife or the second one ? chalk and knife...

let me know how you prefer it friends and one more time thank you

Pedro