PDA

View Full Version : Hill_Giant-WIP

SCP
05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi there,
I had so much fun last time with Crabby WIP,thought I would start another.This time not using one of my old pencil drawing but starting from AR 2.5.I only just came up with the Tittle then,not very inventive, sorry about that;) Well I hope I can create something interesting along the way, that you can enjoy watching.

This is my start.

cathyd
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, I can tell this is not Monty, the dog. :D I just saw him in one of your other works, which I like a lot. But it certainly looks like you have fun with your monster paintings. You do great work! This definitely already looks like it is going to be very interesting. Great form work. ;)

SCP
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes it isn't Monty my fav puppy(8mths soon,where has the time gone??!)
Thankyou cathyd for your kind words,yes I have always drawn monsters:o
I got the monster bug after drawing dinosaurs when I was about 6 years old.I remember in grade 4 painting a mural with the teachers coloured chalk over the entire blackboard one lunch hour lol.:D

Anyway back to the year 2009;)
Some more updates.

weembaman
05-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Looking good so far..I think this will be a good one....:)

SCP
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Thankyou weembaman, nice to have you visit:D
I hope my next updates are more interesting?

I didn't like the aspect ratio,so I stretched it out,think it works better for the landscape style.I want more room for the sunset.;)
I also reworked the body of the HillGiant,the 2nd picture you can see subtle changes.
Thanks for checking it out.:)

yachris
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi SCP... it's looking great! Your changes, to make it wider and to put the foot above the landscape below are excellent choices. Looking forward to more!

byroncallas
05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Terrific Scott. Keep working ths baby - it's trying it's best to get born:D

Right on expanding the width - seems like "rules of 9" at work paid off, intentional or not.

As a mood, it's working pretty great. Has a wondrous light-heartedness - sort of a happy-giant sensibility, almost kind of gleefully nutty. I'm wondering what it would be like if you changed the emphasis, took the giant out of silhoutte and gave him full definition to match your fine technical skills with your utterly vivid imagination for surreal creatures?

Just wondering - he's such an interesting character to stumble upon - I feel like I want to know him better. Seems like he's been plucked out of some fairytail at about 25% through the story. Feels like he's got a tale to tell. :)

Looking forward to whatever your resolutions. You somehow manage to always resolve to the most wonderful conclusions. ;):D:)

SCP
05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
yachris Thanks for dropping in and leaving feedback,glad you like what you see so far.;):)
byron glad to have you onboard:D Thankyou for your kind words,yes I agree about him having a story.When I was changing his bottom foot,I was thinking this Giant loves to watch the sunset every evening.He is all alone,but takes comfort in watching over his wonderful valley and the beauty of every sunset.
Also get the feeling he is very old maybe as old as the valley itself.He might of even helped shape the mountains over time,so he had nice resting places with fantastic views;)
I'm not very good with telling stories,sorry about that:oThen again I hope the viewer might come up with their own story if the image is interesting enough;)

I will try to breath more life into him painting wise and leave the writing part to the experts.
Here is my next update.Then Im going to have a little break from him and do some sketches and maybe post more Speedpaints.
Thanks again for checking this WIP.

Cheers,
Scott.

byroncallas
05-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Cool Scott. I like where he's going. Clearly this guy does have a tale to tell. He seems such and ancient yet still young-at-heart old boy. I'm going to keep checking in and watch him develope.

Love your work.

Byron

SCP
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Byron thanks for the incouragement,also like your sig.Thats why sometimes I don't even have names for my paintings;)
O.k I have been messing around with HillGiants look,haven't made up my mind yet and blocked in the Cliff face.
Hope you guys like the update.

All the best,
Scott.

weembaman
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Looking good, I like the rock face, keep at it....:)

byroncallas
05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Fabulous Scott, he's really taking shape. I love the way you move methodically along on these thngs, just keep working it and letting the inspiration evolve at it's own pace in its own time. You seem to excel whether it's speedpaint or snailpaint. It all points in the direction of magic.
Again, I'll keep checking in on this big old boy.:D
Be well down under. Byron

SCP
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey thanks weembaman,nice of you to leave feedback:)
Byron you are way too kind,very glad you are checking my progress and have confidence in my ability.Yes thankyou... I'm well Down Under;)
Had family over ,a 40th and a 65th birthday party/dinners and most of the family staying here so not much time for Art.
So now I have been catching up on the AR forums lol:D

This update I have refined the trees,more refining of his body and gave our big boy a Thumb !lol
Now I'm thinking of shutting his mouth and just a smile.So what do you Blokes&Sheilas reckon.. ay?(bit of Aussie slang talk)
(Guys&Gals)

weembaman
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I think I like the open mouth better, the smile makes him look like a sissy, and he ain't no sissy....:):):)

SHAP00PI
05-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I think a face revision is due, he looks too comical or too soft for a hill giant in my opinion..

Everything else is looking epic though mate, those rocks are brilliant!!

Taron
05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about any single part being "too" comical, as the whole guy is very comical, but what is missing is a clearer reference to his size! I would definitely add birds and maybe even a deer or some other animal for reference. He could have also sat down on a wooden cabin, which broke under his weight. Behind the trees would be the hiding hikers or rather owners, who have to be so very quiet, but are completely pissed off, hehe! :D

Great start, though! I think it's really fun! :)

Also, clarify the lighting as much as you can! You have two major contributers to your lighting: The sun with her direct light and the sky with his ambience or rather global illumination. The tricky part is to figure out the proper color that either part creates with the skin. On top of that there is the different colors of the sky at such a beautiful sunset! You may consider the different colors you get from each direction! It's a little much, but it could rock tremendously, haha! But most important is that you stay consistent with the light that hits him and the rest of the landscape. Things further in the distance become more of a mush in that regard, including maybe a nice gentle haze that is essentially the sum of all hues with a slight inclination towards the colors behind it. (Ultimatively haze and clouds are refracting and reflecting gases, which sort of bend and diffuse the light that comes in. The less dense they get, the more the pick up influences from the refractions, I think, so colors behind it bounce through. Clouds burst the light that comes into them so dramatically that they look almost solid, but only because they're so densely packed and have tiny cores within each droplet. Haze may only be vapor without cores... not sure, but I think it makes sense.

AH, one more thing about the skin color: Again we have two major effects that are relevant to the proper color choices. One is the diffused light that mixes light and skin color and the other part is the reflective or specular component, which actually is true to the color of what ever it reflects. This could be the sun (as for the strongest highlights) or even the sky, where it is bright enough. Such reflections are mostly happening on glancing angles, when the skin begins to turn away from the viewer and mostly on oilier parts of the skin or where the skin is stretched.

In any painting we have the dilemma of not being able to show the entire dynamic range of brightness that is actually present. SO, even though the sky may be just as bright as the grass on the ground in our painting, it is in actually 100 times as bright as the lit grass, for example. To suggest that difference, highlights or reflections of the sky on skin for example can help to create the illusion of that phenomenon.

Also, the bounce he gets from the ground is of course only as strong as the light that hits the ground. However, depending on his position he may get bounce light from a really bright ground that is not visible to the viewer, meaning behind him or in such an angle that the viewer can't spot it. If you let a bounce light come off of such "invisible" ground, you actually suggest its existence, which works beautifully! So that you may consider, too, but it has to make sense of course.

With your light being optimized and clarified, you can focus again on form more vigurously. You chest muscle, for example, wraps completely into his shoulder, which is a little funky. Check out a bit of anatomy, just to educate yourself a little bit. Those are fantastic opportunities to learn! Find a similar position of a guy with similar muscle toning so you can identify what goes where. Ahm.... eh... when I was 16 and I was first exposed to ehm... erotic films, I noticed that they were great to see nude people in awkward positions and often with great, hehehehehe, muscle-tension, you know. You may find amazing references there that beat most anatomy books by far. By now I had my share of studies and rely on touching mys...no wait, that'll sound wrong right now... as I've noticed how definitions of muscles show, I've learned to rely on feeling my own muscles (the few that are there) to remind myself of certain connections.

Proportions you may keep which ever way you like, of course, it's only about some visual precision in regards to general forms. You can make the craziest proportions, but as long as you keep the normal key-shapes proper, it'll look fascinating. The moment you miss a key-shape, it all falls apart. The shoulder and its surrounding is a key area for sure.

Uh, that was fun... I hope it helped or inspired a little?! :)

byroncallas
05-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Hey there Scott. Love all the possibilities. :D:cool:
Can't speak for the Sheila's, but here's my take:

So far, I've seen this guy as a sort of joyful and formidable giant. In his inner being he is confident. He takes joy and pleasure in everything around him. He would be formidable if your crossed him, a deadly advisory. But in his inner core, he has total confidence in himself. He has no fear. His inner personal sense is enormous pleasure and peace being with the grand horizon before him. You may intend something entirely different???? But this is how he comes off to me.

That said, I lean towards the open mouth refined to define the same confident joy and pleasure expressed in his body. The closed mouth is fine too, more in the direction of serene, which also fits. The open mouth to me fits more with a deep belly-laugh of exuberant pleasure. Depending on if you want him more serene or more exuberantly expressed I think gets at whether you go open or closed.

Having worked his basic personality to your liking (whatever that turns out to be and however different from my or anyone elseís take) I think will help define the ultimate color and lighting scheme and the degree of atmospheric reality you want to bring to it (ala Taron's instructional missive). You can always have all the lighting and color stuff "wrong" by choice shooting for a particular artistic expression and style. That is all in your artistic and esthetic court; seemingly you're still playing with it for this guy.

I agree with Taron that a reference or two is useful to show just how big Bigguy is.

Clearly you are still working the old boy, letting him and his surroundings unfold. My take is simply where I see his personality at this stage, whether or not matching your intentions (???). The end product and your fnal intentions may be quite divergent from the current take. It's one of the things fascinating about watching another artist displaying works in progress. The journey and the destination are two entirely different things. Usually we don't see another's journey, only the arrival points, failing to appreciate just how the traveler got there.

At any rate, the short take is I love how the big boy is shaping up and much look forward to his next iteration. :):D:cool:

SCP
05-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey thankyou weembaman and SHAP00PI ,good feedback.Also thankyou for your time.
Ahahaha yer his proportions are funky/cartoony but I know this and often see Giants designed with huge bodies and little heads,I didn't want that for this guy.So his head is huge,maybe it kepted growing over the 1000 years or so.I just hope it's not a waste of a good sunset ahahahaha:pI actually like this sunset:eek:

Taron thanks heaps for your detailed comments and crit.Yes he isn't meant to be realistic not what I'm after,tell the truth I have taken it further than planned.I agree abut the shoulder area, I haven't finished his body the last update was mainly the trees,feet and hand.So hopefully next update his shoulder won't look so funky;)
I really like your comments on colour and lighting,it is a hard one for me to pull off.I spent far too many years doing black&white mainly pencil or black biro/pen and ink couldn't afford paint back when I was doing Art(over 20 years ago).So my colour is a big weakness in my work.This last year I have tried to improve,getting to terms more with digital media etc.
Also very good points on skin tone.
Regarding his scale well I was hoping the trees would do that,the trees are inbetween his fingers.To paint birds they will be to small,unless in the foreground and humans don't exist yet ..YAY! Not sure about animals,maybe ..will have to think about that more.My brain hurts now:(
Thanks again Taron:):)
G'day Byron thankyou for your thoughtful,detailed comments and input.Might of bitten off more than I can chew,I find it hard to keep working on one artwork.Other things beckon.I have upscaled one of my speedpaints and before I knew it I had spent 3 hours rendering over it!lol
Anyway better get off the forums and back to it.
all the best,
Scott.

RobertSWade
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Fantastically developed Scott. :)

SCP
05-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Thankyou kindly Robert.
Been busy so just a small update,at first glance doesn't look like much....but for me there was a fair amount of work.;):o

SHAP00PI
05-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Coming along nicely, the muted background colour is nice :)

I agree with Taron, a scale reference needs to be put in, it'll just add so much more to the image, even if the scale references are just little black dots for people! :)

SCP
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey thanks SHAP00PI:)
I think I'm at that point of moving on from this painting, spent all day on it refining ect,little bit of a pain as the painting is at 6000x3000 AR bogs down some when trying to transform layer etc.Anyway now there is scale reference in the painting.Birds and some crazy guy?!!:eek:
Hope you guys like it?

SCP
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
The complete image,will try to upload larger one to my Gallery or mediafile.
Cheers,
Scott.

byroncallas
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Scott, I thoroughly love it. He turned out great. If you think about it you've created quite a collection of outstanding compatriots (Dogman, Crabby, Hill Giant). I think you'll have to put them all together in a single painting, wrapped in a superhero context, walking out of the flames, saving the world from, oh, I don't know, maybe the global herd of bungling bureaucrats and reality-show celebrities(?).

Hill Giant's a great guy and itís a terrific painting. :D:D:D;););):):):):cool::cool::cool:

weembaman
05-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Excellent painting.. I think his hand in the trees was enough to convey the size of the giant but the guy painting adds to it,,,Well done...

SCP
05-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey Byron big thankyou for checking in on my work,glad you like the painting.It would be funny seeing all the characters together for sure;)
Also that would be a good cause to save the world from those people lol.:D

Hi weembaman,thankyou for your kind words.;):)
The version of my image in this post looks very compressed,I will upload to the gallery hopefully it will look better.

Oh yer.. the dude painting and enjoying the sunset is "me":p