PDA

View Full Version : MisterPaint Stencils and Texture Painting

cathyd
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
More stencil fun. Thanks to "foxytocin," and her blog I found these "MisterPaint" stencils and a lot more. After I found and uploaded these I was in the mood to goof off again in Artrage. But after completing this piece, it made me want to get busy with some traditional media and paint it on a large canvas! However, this is a lot less time consuming and messy. :rolleyes: :D And working with the texture mediums in Artrage has the feel of really smearing that smooth paint and the texture medium on the canvas. : ) Speaking of mediums I used oils, paint tube, the palette knife and four stencils. I used a rock stencil with black paint to create a rock like texture. Then I created a little more texture with my paint tube and non-metallic gold paint, which I smeared with the palette knife using the "flat" side. I used one stencil each with black paint for the butterflies, bird, and the flowers. For the butterflies I simply enlarged and reduced the size as I needed to and turned them when necessary (when I first started using Artrage I did not know you could manipulate the stencils so much!). And yes, I did use layers. :rolleyes: :cool: ;) By the way, if I still had my oriental style dining room suite and screen I would have this one hanging in the room with it since the black and gold give this piece an Asian feel (even though it is not an Asian design). *** Foxytocin has shared a wealth of information on art supplies on her threads here on Artrage. She has a blog here (http://paperplayday.wordpress.com/)

You can get MisterPaint stencils here (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14266).

"PAINTING TUTORIAL" & "USING STENCILS ON A MAC": At the request of a friend of AR I created a tutorial for this style of painting I developed with the ArtRage software. The tutorial is for the "Three Birds" painting. It also contains instructions for "USING STENCILS ON A MAC." You can view the tutorial here (http://web.me.com/kaspco/Art/Tutorials/Tutorials.html). And hey, while you're there feel free to check out the rest of my gallery site! Blessings, Cathy

cathyd
05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Here's another one using MP's stencils. I did this for Lee's thread, "Glorious Glitter," using glitter and the paint tube. Also I used a cloth stencil as well as one each for the butterflies and flowers.

cathyd
05-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey, nobody is posting on this one :confused: , so I decided to post another. :) Here it is! :rolleyes:

cathyd
05-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Okay, here is one for good measure. :rolleyes::cool::) I did this one for Gzairborne's "Crayons Only" thread. I know it's not a texture painting, but I did use MP stencils on it. Anyway, here it is. :)

Lee
05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Dear CathyD, those are all so beautiful!!!! all of them are so pretty, my fav is the aqua blue one, don't know why, just really love it,,, Mr.Paint is a real treasure and so generous!!! you made great use of his stencils and he will be proud!!! :)

cathyd
05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you Lee. ;) Thanks for all your encouragement. :)

cathyd
05-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Hmmmm! Still no artwork besides mine. :eek::p I guess I'll just have to enjoy posting work on my own thread! :D I would rather see some other AR artists' work on this thread than more of my own. :rolleyes: I know there are a lot of you who can do a lot better. C'mon you guys. Doesn't anyone else use MisterPaint stencils? :confused: If you don't have them, the links are listed in my first post on this thread. But it doesn't have to be "MisterPaint stencils. Any pro stencils are okay for this one. I mean, it's not like this is a rigid thread or anything. :D Anyhoo, here is my latest. :) I used several MisterPaint stencils and two of my own I made from photos) on this piece.

Kayla
05-17-2009, 09:00 PM
These were early play arounds by me using MP's galaxy stencils. Seeing as more artwork was required, thought I'd share :D

cathyd
05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow, Kayla! These are beautiful. Thanks a lot for sharing. If you do any more, please do share them too. :) Blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
These are truly wonderful Cathy, and Stefano (Misterpaint) would be so proud to know you are using his stencils. He works so hard on them! Keep going, you have a virtual gallery going here :)

Rose

cathyd
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Gee, thanks Rose. :) So glad you dropped by. I'll check out your artwork and your web site. ;) Blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Cathy, I don't have any art gallery posted here, but I do have my website below. :) Some are digital, some are ACEO's for projects I do on WetCanvas. I am a project manager over there and have done 5 projects already, we exchange the small or postcard size cards.. it's fun!!! I haven't figured out how to do just digital over there yet. ;)

MaryS.Hines
05-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Hmmmm! Still no artwork besides mine. :eek::p I guess I'll just have to enjoy posting work on my own thread! :D I would love to see some of your work on this thread. I know there are a lot of you who can do a lot better. C'mon you guys. Doesn't anyone else use MisterPaint stencils? :confused: If you don't have them, the links are listed in my first post on this thread. But it doesn't have to be "MisterPaint stencils. Any pro stencils are okay for this one. :D Anyhoo, here is my latest. :) I used several MisterPaint stencils and two of my own I made from photos) on this piece.

hi, Cathy...I really love the gold tones you used for the trees,,and the shapes/structure of the trees are perfect for this composition..the birds are the perfect compliment to the trees...this oughtta be hanging on a wall

cathyd
05-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks again Irishrose, for stopping by. I'm looking forward to checking out your web site. :) And Mary, thanks so much for your nice comment. ;) I was checking out your work earlier and left a comment for you on one of your pieces. They are absolutely whimsical and lovely. Wonderful workmanship. :) Blessings to you both, Cathy

irishrose
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Cathy, thanks... I will check out your music and poetry too! I love new websites!!! Maybe you could do a tutorial on how to use the stencil art... like Sabena does for her roses and her abstracts. Would love to see how you do it. I am still considered a 'newbie' here in Digital art as I have only dabbled and do most of my artwork 'hands on' for many kinds of exchanges... but I will get cracking one of these days! I am in the sponge phase.. absorbing all I can. :) Hope to see more of your work! xo Rose

PS.. Cathy, just checked out your website.. I'm a Christian and really love the music and the art there... you really have some great stuff, will have to check it out more later on, the kids are driving me nuts... dinner and homework next. Ugh. XOXO

cathyd
05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Irishrose, So glad to hear from you again. ;) I did a quick check on your site since I am getting ready for dinner and hubby wants to watch a movie. And we are getting the house ready tomorrow for an appointment on Wednesday. Your art is amazing! I used traditional media for years until I got my first computer and started experimenting with doing studies for traditional art work. Then I got hooked! And since I found ArtRage, I'm even more hooked! :D I have not been in the ArtRage community that long myself, several months maybe? :confused: Anyhoo, thanks so much for your invitation to post a tutorial. I'll give it a whirl. :) I am so excited that other artists want to get into the stencils. I just got into them myself recently through playing around with the basic ones that come with AR. Then I found the MisterPaint stencils through "foxytocin." They are so much fun! So glad to meet another believer in Christ. Thanks for your nice comments about my art and web sites. I really want to go through all of your art on your site. I love the one you did called, "When Your Daughter Breaks Your Heart." I have a wonderful daughter, but I can definitely relate. Hey, I'll send you a "PM" sometime so we can chat a bit more. I'm sure you don't have much time for it with children though. My daughter is in her late twenties so it's just me and hubby. Catch you later, Cathy

irishrose
05-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Irishrose, So glad to hear from you again. ;) I did a quick check on your site since I am getting ready for dinner and hubby wants to watch a movie. And we are getting the house ready tomorrow for an appointment on Wednesday. Your art is amazing! I used traditional media for years until I got my first computer and started experimenting with doing studies for traditional art work. Then I got hooked! And since I found ArtRage, I'm even more hooked! :D I have not been in the ArtRage community that long myself, several months maybe? :confused: Anyhoo, thanks so much for your invitation to post a tutorial. I'll give it a whirl. :) I am so excited that other artists want to get into the stencils. I just got into them myself recently through playing around with the basic ones that come with AR. Then I found the MisterPaint stencils through "foxytocin." They are so much fun! So glad to meet another believer in Christ. Thanks for your nice comments about my art and web sites. I really want to go through all of your art on your site. I love the one you did called, "When Your Daughter Breaks Your Heart." I have a wonderful daughter, but I can definitely relate. Hey, I'll send you a "PM" sometime so we can chat a bit more. I'm sure you don't have much time for it with children though. My daughter is in her late twenties so it's just me and hubby. Catch you later, Cathy

Hi Cathy, I appreciate your checking out my website. I do like hands on right now a little better, but that's because I'm still learning Digi art. :) If you do a tutorial, you will get so much great feedback, I find I learn so much through them. I have a lot of Stefano's stencils, they are great! I just don't know how to properly use them. And yes, great to meet another believe of the Lord. He has gotten me through so much. I have a daughter, she is 23. Two years ago she was really doing all she could to break me in two. She is still somewhat doing so but she doesn't live with us now so there is less of the fighting and arguing. It's really hard. And yes, with 2 kids at home, hard to get online as much as I'd like to. I have an older son too, he's 26 and will be 27 in Dec. My other sons are 10 (11 in Sept) and 14 (15 in in Dec... driving age here in Fla!!!!) Ugh.. time is passing too fast. Thank you for your time and yes, PM me when you can or write me at [email protected] :) Hugs! Rose

cathyd
05-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, here is a little help for Mac users. Sorry, I don't know the procedure for Windows, but if I get it I will post it. Or, if you know it feel free to post a link to it on this thread. I posted a thread in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the forum entitled, "USING STENCILS ON A MAC" at the following link: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19631

Eileen724
05-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Hello Cathy...I finally got on the bandwagon here and have decided that I should do something fun with Misterpaint's stencils since I really have not used them yet! Glad you did this! Your paintings are absolutely gorgeous and I only hope my painting does his stencils justice like yours do!!! :)

irishrose
05-26-2009, 03:41 AM
Oh, Leen, this is GORGEOUS! I would say you did more than justice to the stencils. Great colors.... :)

mojo1975
05-26-2009, 06:05 AM
awesome work cathyd. My wife only wishes I could do stuff like that. She would actually want to hang that on the walls of our house, unlike mine:(

cathyd
05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Gee, thanks, mojo. But I think your work is pretty awesome. I just posted a tutorial on how to do the art in this thread under "Tips and Tricks." Maybe you could do a tutorial on how you do some of your work? :) Just a thought.

Wow, Irishrose. That is beautiful! ;) So glad to see your project. I have been eagerly waiting for it. Thank you so much for doing it and posting it on here.

I hope you both had a great holiday!

Blessings, Cathy

irishrose
05-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Cathy, thank you!!!! I really needed the encouragement... was so frustrated for two days trying to figure it all out... didn't realize it would be so time consuming, but once I got it down (thanks to all of your help)... I was able to move along.

I still am a hands on artist... hard to get used to digital full time. :)

Hoping you are enjoying your Memorial Day too! BTW, email me your last email... my PC ate it! :(

cathyd
05-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Leen, I would say Irishrose is right! Gee, thanks for posting. Beautiful work! :)

cathyd
05-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi mojo, Gee, thanks for the lovely comment. But I think your work is pretty awesome. By the way, I just posted a tutorial about this thread under "Tips and Tricks." Perhaps you could do a tutorial about how you do some of your work? :) Just a thought.

Hi Irishrose, Wow. That is beautiful work! ;) I am so glad to see your project. I was eagerly waiting for it. And sure, I will resend my last email.

My love to all of you.

I hope you all had a great holiday!

Blessings,

Cathy

cathyd
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Here is my latest with MisterPaint stencils using texture. There is not any texture in the painting, but I made a glitter border. :D

cathyd
05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Here it is without the border.

irishrose
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Yowza Cathy! You rock! That silver glitter really does it... love the border!

cathyd
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Gee thanks, girlie! :)

foxytocin
05-27-2009, 06:27 AM
I just plain love these deluxe glitter stencil images.....gorgeously fun...

cathyd
05-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks foxy! I checked out your blog again and I love your new stencils! I downloaded them so I can do something for your bouquet thread. Can't wait to get started on it. Thanks so much for sharing these. :)

cathyd
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Wowee, Irishrose, That is amazingly beautiful! Very unique. I like the glittery moon. Hey, did you know it was going to look 3-D? That's totally cool. You ought to post that in the gallery. I love it! :)

irishrose
05-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Cathy!!! This just came in as I was writing back to you!!! I love the fantasy landscape stuff... I was taken aback that it looked 3-D too, don't know how I did that! LOL... I used my own photo as a stencil... and can you tell that I love Purple?? The first ever painting I did here on AR was in Purple :) I will have to branch out to other colors.. maybe GREEN for my Irish. :) Find an Irish Shamrock or something.. hm, got me thinking!

I appreciate your thoughts! xoxo

cathyd
05-28-2009, 07:41 AM
That's funny that you were writing you back while I was editing my reply to your artwork! I just kept staring at it and adding more to my reply. Hah! LOL! :D And hey, I love purple too. :)

irishrose
05-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Woo hoo... let's declare today a PURPLE day! :) Will upload to gallery. :) Thanks!

fraser_paice
05-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Rose is back! Go girl!

irishrose
05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Neil. I need all the kudos I can get at this point before I lose my nerve again. ;)

Sher
06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
thanks for your help and letting me know about those amazing stencils!

Sher
06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
can we use the misterpaint stencils for our art on zazzle?

cathyd
06-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Hi Sher, Nice to meet you. Thank you so much for creating a painting for Justin's thread. It's such a good cause. My pleasure on the help. Are you new to AR? If so, then by all means, "Welcome!" :) You'll find an outgoing and friendly bunch here. About MisterPaint's stencils...as far as I know they are "public domain"...he is a member here on AR so I am going to give you a link to his stencils where you can also write him. He has several stencils packs available, and yes, they are wonderful! Here is a link to his threads here on AR where you can scroll down the page to find several of his various stencil packs: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/search.php?searchid=912911 (*** LINK CORRECTION). I am pretty sure his stencils are available for private and commercial use, but I don't want to give the ok. I would rather you get that from him. He seems like a nice person and is so generous to offer his professional stencils for free. He is slow about writing back, but he will eventually get back to you. It seems he's been more active on AR lately. I'm sure he must be very busy though, being such a master artist and creating all those stencils, and so on. I have posted my paintings with his stencils in my gallery along with my other paintings but for legal reasons I'd rather not come right out and say it's okay. Know what I mean? I almost think it is written on one of his stencils links, but I'm not sure which one. Otherwise I would not have used them in my gallery. If I come across the page with the info. on it I will send the link to you. I hope this helps a little! ;) Blessings, Cathy

Sher
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
thanks Kathy! I tried that link and it said page not found. I appreciate your feedback. I joined a while back but couldn't get on the forums for some reason. Anyway, I've been using artrage for a few years and just rejoined again. Thanks for your help!

Please add your store to my squidoo lens at magins arts and nature arts. My zazzle store username is magins.

I wasn't able to add my url's here yet.

Fashmir
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
What a great way to show off the power of using stencils. These are beautiful. I would think that scrap-bookers would L*O*V*E ArtRage for this feature alone.

cathyd
06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey, thank you Fashmir for your lovely comments. I hadn't thought about the scrapbooking thing for the stencils, but that's a great idea! ;) And Sher, Sorry about the link. Which link was that? Just let me know and I will look into it. Thank you for your invitation about adding my site to these places. How do I do it? More later, gotta' get to bed. ;) Blessings, Cathy

cathyd
06-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Sher, Gee, you're right. The link isn't working. Sorry. :o:confused::D Anyhoo, here are a few more links. The first is to one of MisterPaint's sites where you can get his stencils. The second is a page where you can translate the web page. Translate it from "Italian." The third is MisterPaint's profile page here on AR in case you would like to send him a private message. The fourth link is to his threads. If you scroll down that page you will also find several links to his various stencils packs. I hope this works better for you! ;) Happy hunting!

http://www.artrage.it/

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=en#

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/member.php?u=5779

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/search.php?searchid=912911

Lima
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Cathy beuatiful I've commented on that:)

Lima
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Cathy beautiful I've commented on that:)

cathyd
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Thank you, Oriane. ;)

cathyd
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Bluesman, Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I am not at all familiar with what you were saying? ;)