PDA

View Full Version : Water droplet for ByronC

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Okay, so it started off over here...http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19175

Foxytocin wanted to know how I did the water droplets Byroncallas said he'd like to see a demonstration, so here we are...

You asked for it, you got it. Here's a tutorial on how to do water droplets, well, it's how I do them anyhow.
Hope you like it.
When I did the water droplets for my Crimson picture, I was working REAL close, zoomed in all the way. It makes a difference when you zoom out and look at the picture. For this tutorial, I did it the other way around, work big and then modify the layer to make it smaller. It seems to work either way. I'd suggest trying it small first, like I said it just seems easier, not so many pixels to deal with.
I started with a blue background for this, it just makes it easier. If you were putting water droplets on a painting you would want to put them on a new layer to make all this easier and to ensure you don't mess up what you have already.

Using my airbrush, I made a white dot for my highlight on the top. Then a black pencil to make the outline of where I would put the water drop.

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Next, select the background color using the color selector tool and lighten it up a little bit.

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Using your favorite drawing tool, start filling in your outline. I use pencil during all this, just because I find it suits my style and it's easy to smooth out.

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Now let's do some shading. I only used black and white for this. Once you start smudging it won't matter, it just all blends together.

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Keep adding black and white and then smudge with your pallet knife till you get something that looks like this.

Little_John
05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Shrink to fit and viola! Itís a water droplet.

John Little
AKA: Little_John

I'm still just a junkie with a pencil, but I'm high tech now!!!

case
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
pretty ;) i like the final touch ,) especialy on the flower ;) but still a mystery, how did you do to makes all of these on the flower picture ? ,)

Little_John
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Just like I did here only one at a time. This one only took about 10 minutes and I was typing the text and taking screen shots while I did it.

Really it's as simple as using these steps only on a small scale. Instead of of shrinking the layer you're working on, you just zoom in real close and draw each one small.

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
John, thanks. Terrific. Very straight forward, easy to follow demonstration. You'll probably see quite few paintings with water droplet's floating around over the next few weeks. :D

Very nice. Thanks for taking your time to demonstrate, and making it so simple to follow. I know I can take advantage of it. Much appreciated. ;):)

Best, Byron

PS: Yep, you're a high-teck junkie now, no doubt about it. :D

Little_John
05-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Byron - Looking forward to seeing those water droplets...they're just fun, don't know why, but it is. No problem...I've got nothing but time. :) Glad you find it helpful.

weembaman
05-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Thank you for the Tutorial..Nothing to it once you see how it's done...:):) Thanks again...

Little_John
05-07-2009, 06:46 AM
weembaman, no problems. Glad I could help.

To all,
By the by, as I mentioned briefly at the beginning of this, I zoom way in and work on a single layer. I only did it backwards for the tutorial. So, draw yourself a leaf, add a layer over it, zoom WAY in put a white dot with airbrush set to 1 or 2 and work from there.

Working in close-up makes it so you don't have to be AS detailed. When you zoom out it looks just as good, so there's no loss in quality.

Eileen724
05-12-2009, 04:49 AM
This technique is just too cool for words, LittleJohn! Thanks for taking the time and effort on creating this tutorial and sharing it with the rest of us!