PDA

View Full Version : The lavishly red tulip interpretation thread

foxytocin
05-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I just had a little conversation over in the gallery thread regarding an image I made based on a photo of a red parrot tulip from my garden. I'm very curious to see what other people could do with this subject. So, I'm loading a series of images of this particular tulip with a dark and light background and several different perspectives.....have fun!

foxytocin
05-02-2009, 02:13 AM
My interpretation of this tulip:
I loaded one of the ref photos into ArtRage and ran it thru filters, painted over it, decorated with a few texture stencils and just plain had fun.

silvy
05-02-2009, 02:51 AM
It's a good idea. I save two photo and will try soon.
Thank you!;)

silvy
05-03-2009, 04:40 AM
This's my red tulip from the IV° photo, color tube and knife.
Custard like an icecream;)

yachris
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Wow, Silvy, you've got some great colors and textures going on there... like the shadow, too.

Taron
05-04-2009, 02:00 AM
I was just experimenting around and stumbled over your tulip project here, so I've made it a tulip inspired exploration...

byroncallas
05-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi Foxy. Thought I'd play along. I don't usually do anything that has something recognizable in a painting (my refuge in a context of incompetence.) But your idea is fun so I thought I'd meet you halfway and see what comes out in the middle. ;) Hope you like. :)

Taron: That is an AWSOME eye.

foxytocin
05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I think this is quite interesting to compare the different takes on the same subject....
These posts are all quite strong and dynamic...well-planned, too. What a treat!

Peter Pinckney
05-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Foxy,

this is a bit from left field but I just changed your beautiful tulip into a toxic plant....................... with the knife only!

Edit: just realised the spots were done with the airbrush:o

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Foxy,

this is a bit from left field but I just changed your beautiful tulip into a toxic plant....................... with the knife only!

Edit: just realised the spots were done with the airbrush:o

Peter, terrific interpretation. I'm glad you warned it was toxic. It looks good enough to eat - I was considering taking a bite. :D

Little_John
05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Peter...no, no, no...eat the mushroom, draw the flower...:D:D:D

These are really good, but after my run with Foxy's Crimson I am flowered out...or de-flowered...nope that's not right either...too many mushrooms...:rolleyes:

foxytocin
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Peter, I like it. Quirky, very quirky (that's a compliment.)

scratch
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
well here is my try at the pretty flower hope you like it

Liv Lukas
05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
What a neat thread! How fun!

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
well here is my try at the pretty flower hope you like it

Terrific Scratch. Darn lovely and imaginative, terrific design. Love it. You sure showcase Foxy's tulip to the max.

I'm working on a second version right now. For some reason this little game has captured my imagination. Will post soon.

See you later Scratch :D

Byron

jbyrjbyr1
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow...a fun and artistically interesting project; some great interpretations here. I thought I'd trippingly tip tap my way through the tulips myself...
jb

Sketchism71
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Well I think I must have had to many of Peters Magical Mushrooms because I found myself painting a bizarre impression of a lavishly red tulip! You have inspired us all Foxy!:D

This was a total experimental technique just to be a little different. I didn't have much time (about 45 min.) so I just tried to let light do the work for me. Interesting effect...Might keep messing around with it.

Everybody's post in this thread has been totally cool and inspirational enough for me to give it a shot... a quick shot... but a shot:)

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Well I think I must have had to many of Peters Magical Mushrooms because I found myself painting a bizarre impression of a lavishly red tulip! You have inspired us all Foxy!:D

This was a total experimental technique just to be a little different. I didn't have much time (about 45 min.) so I just tried to let light do the work for me. Interesting effect...Might keep messing around with it.

Everybody's post in this thread has been totally cool and inspirational enough for me to give it a shot... a quick shot... but a shot:)

Completely cool Sketch. I'm such a plodding painter it always shocks me when people post these little masterpieces with only 45 minutes work. Love your rich colors. Great second effort. I'm about to post my number 2 too.

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow...a fun and artistically interesting project; some great interpretations here. I thought I'd trippingly tip tap my way through the tulips myself...
jb

Tripping paid off. ;) I love it.

byroncallas
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Well, I had such fun with the first one I thought I'd go for a second one with a completely different take. Hope you enjoy. I'm sure enjoying all the terrific interpretations.
100% Artrage, Mouse, No Stencils, Multiple Imports of Foxy's Tulip

foxytocin
05-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Anytime anyone here wants me to rummage up some pictures of a subject for a challenge thread like this, just let me know! If there's anything I have quite a bit of, it's photos. This has been and continues to be great fun.

case
05-06-2009, 01:31 AM
here's my try at the tulip

Sketchism71
05-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Great interpretation case! Trippy:p!

Hey Byron... Another great interpretation. I like how this is totally different than what you normally do with your abstracts and yet you manage to keep it very much in the style of some of your abstracts. Very Cool! Do you use a mouse for all your work??? If you do, I didn't realize that in which case makes ALL of your work even more amazing...Wow:eek:.

Also, Taron - I didn't mention it earlier but that eye is wickedly cool!:D:D

byroncallas
05-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Case: Love it. VIBRANT against that black background. Was fun, right???:):D

Sketch: Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Meanwhile, yes, I only have a mouse and small laptop. Drives me nuts. Gleefully, however, I'll have a new Wacom Intuios 4 and a better monitor at the end of May. I can hardly wait. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

case
05-06-2009, 03:50 AM
sure it was ,)

yachris
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Here's mine... should probably be titled something like "Rough and Smooth".

Thought it'd be fun to try two markedly different textures... not sure if it works :-)

Dial-a-cliche will probably weep bitter tears when I say that the 'rough' one is inspired by his style... sorry, it's the price of your fame.

(Edit: Hmmm... the image resize algorithm does bizarre things to the edges. Please click to view full size).

byroncallas
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Here's mine... should probably be titled something like "Rough and Smooth". Thought it'd be fun to try two markedly different textures... not sure if it works :-)

I like. Love the red jumping off the canvas on that mixed gray background. I like mixing styles and techniques in a single painting to push the optical effects, and think it's cool here. Works great. Cool painting. :cool::)

foxytocin
05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I think the contrasting textures and the dynamic lines in the background give it quite a jolt of energy.

yachris
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks byroncallas and foxytocin! I appreciate it.

Syl49
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi All!

Thanks Foxy for providing the pictures...here's my take on Foxy's tulips...(Fairy Tulip)
This is great, I see so many beautifully painted tulips and designs...I'm enjoying everyone's creations.

Syl

byroncallas
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Already commented in the Gallery; reiterating here, this is a lovely, charming, whimsical take on Foxy's now famous tulips. Very beautiful and lots of fun. :)

cathyd
05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi foxytocin, Thought I would drop by and say hello. Beautiful work on that tulip! ;) I am checking out your threads and trying to decide which one to participate in. :confused: Hubby is waiting for me to watch a couple of movies with him so I don't have time to see what everybody did here, but I will come back later. Blessings, Cathy :)

cathyd
05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Lately I have been checking out the "Art Project" forums and experimenting by participating in the various projects. :) It is this goofing off, which helped me to discover a style of painting I might use more in the future. For now, though, I am enjoying just having fun. :D It is nice to take a break from my regular art projects and learn more about the possibilities of Artrage and its various mediums. So, here's a quick one. When I get the chance I will probably do another one. I have been having fun with glitter painting, MisterPaint stencils, and so on lately. Anyhoo, here it is! :p

byroncallas
05-16-2009, 04:27 PM
That's pretty darn terrific, Cathy. Glittermainia paying off. :D

cathyd
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks, Byron! I guess I have become a bit of a glittermaniac in my goof offs lately. :rolleyes: Hah! LOL! :cool::D

Kaia
05-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Hello Everyone!
Here's my go at it. Still have so much to learn. I haven't even touched the glitter yet but it looks great, Cathy. I like everyone's so far but I'm particularly fond of the mushrooms:)

byroncallas
05-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Kaia - your tulip is superb, and your bubbles are terrific. Nice design, great colors - wonderful addition to the thread. :)

cathyd
05-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow, Kaia, That is one beautiful piece of work! Very imaginative. Thanks for your comment. :) Blessings, Cathy

foxytocin
05-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Glitter and bubbles! Cathy, the flecks of black in the white space of yours remind me of birds.
All these red tulips and I'm still not tired of seeing red. This thread has been fun.

cathyd
05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi foxytocin, I took a look at my piece and you're right! :D I hadn't noticed it. By the way that is a beautiful red tulip. I can see why you don't get tired of seeing it or images made with it. Nice shot. It made a great subject for a thread. :)

Kaia
05-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree - beautiful Tulips and fun Thread, foxytocin. Thank you and thanks cathy and Byron for the compliments!:):rolleyes:

Corniger
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Hey there!

OK, I took this thread as opportunity to try Artrage out more seriously than making strokes to see what the tools look like and how they work.
I actually never ever used oil, I actually started painting again 1 month ago when I got my Intuos4, after approximately 17 years of neither painting nor drawing anything. So that's why I have severe difficulties with technique and composition in general, but I think I somehow worked out, though I couldn't use layers as I painted right on the first one showing up.
Boring though, because a Tulip doesn't whisper anything in my head but "tulip", so there's nothing exciting or no "inerpretation" at all from me, but at least - my first sign of life.

cathyd
05-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Great comeback! Yeah, there is a lot of negative space there, but your painting work looks fantastic and at least you're back! ;) In the ArtRage "QuickStart" guide it gives instructions for a tracing image, which you definitely don't need. But in the same instruction it shows how to create a nice background for any image. I think when you start painting you have to create a second layer to start with and paint on that (just click on the layer panel on the right of the AR screen and click on "add layer," then click on the top layer to paint on it...you will see a checker pattern on this one). Then you can go back to the bottom layer and lay down some paint tube strokes in the colors, which would compliment your work like maybe several shades of green for this one. And then you can blend them with the palette knife, which I am certain you are apt at doing. I love your work! Blessings, Cathy

zooreka
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
HI - I just joined here

saw the post on the Ambient page and did a quick sketch - could develop it more if I had a little more time on my hands..

A bit of glitter here and there... why not??? but mailny knife and tube and a bit of brush

cathyd
05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Wow, Zooreka! What a start in ArtRage. Welcome. :)

Corniger
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey cathyd!

Thanks for the nice words and the advice! From a technical point of view I understand the software, I just didn't think about placing the painting on a second layer to provide room for the background. First I didn't even think about publishing it at all. So next time I will do better :)

foxytocin
05-19-2009, 02:49 AM
It's good to see the new life in this thread. I'm still not tired of that red!
Corninger, your "just a tulip" comment made me chuckle....I said to my hubby last night that I don't know when I'll ever get tired of taking pictures of flowers. Maybe never. To me, they are endlessly fascinating...I can't get enough. I looked at this particular tulip in my garden and for a moment there, my mind went blank with wonder. Funny, eh? It takes all sorts....

Corniger
05-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Hello foxytocin :)

I didn't mean to look down on your tulip, if that's what you think. Although I'm male, a very high percentage of my photos are flowers - especially alpine flowers. I just love them. So to clarify myself:the tulip doesn't ring any bells but "tulip", so I can't give an interpretation like someone did with a fairy or a fence, or whatever else. I just like it as is, and somehow it came out boring compared to others. Probably a lack of phantasy. To undermine this statement, I`ll very probably post one of my favourite flower pics these days to do the same as has been done with this tulip of yours!

zooreka
05-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Wow, Zooreka! What a start in ArtRage. Welcome. :)

Hi Cathy...

Thanks...

As mentioned this is a quick 10 minutes sketch I did last night before hitting the hay.... I mainly use Painter for Painting or photoshop depending on what I am going for.... realism and matte is perhaps better suited to the latter, AR Full I have had for 2 and a half years for Mac and until this weekend I have only ever produced one piece with it - not for lack of desire or skill but because the app continually crashes - particularly when images are involved either as reference or tracing. I contacted the help dest several months ago and go a reply thatit was a startup pointing device causing the issue - remove it and am still plagued.... I sent 2 further emails to support and still have not had a reply on either some 4 months later....

So I had a play friday and knocked out a few images - no reference, no tracer and no problem.... and then did 2 or 3 pieces using images sparingly and yep - crashes....

I have always seen the potential of theis app for 2 things alone - the tube and the knife - how they lay down paint and interact with the paper... Doing a combined textural piece with AR and Painter could be quite a treat and hope to try do something on those lines soon... Art Rage is no painter but for the low low price it is efinitely a must have tool if you are half way serious about digital painting

Images are up in my gallery here - since I cannot post links here yer I also have 2 accounts on dA Zooreka and Zoofractals. Please feel free to ciew any or all.

Thanks
again

Zoo

peggy1917
05-19-2009, 11:17 AM
This is the first time I've picked up anything that resembles a paint brush in more than 11 years.... What fun!! I had been skimming the site, and saw "red tulip"....and, obviously without reading instructions or even knowing what a parrot tulip looks like, I just set out, creating my own hybrid version.... Here they are.... Thanks for looking!:o

Corniger
05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey Peggy!

Very nice. This is how I would have liked to solve the background if I had had the chance with this one :o

byroncallas
05-20-2009, 01:05 AM
This is the first time I've picked up anything that resembles a paint brush in more than 11 years.... What fun!! I had been skimming the site, and saw "red tulip"....and, obviously without reading instructions or even knowing what a parrot tulip looks like, I just set out, creating my own hybrid version.... Here they are.... Thanks for looking!:o

These are BEAUTIFUL. Hard to believe it's your first in 11 years. Remarkable. Lovely. Love 'em. :)

foxytocin
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Corninger, I'd love to work with a photo of an alpine flower any day. Sounds like a fine follow-up challenge to this one.
Byron, you are so supportive to all posters here. You sure know how to make people feel welcome on this forum.

peggy1917
05-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree. It keeps us amateurs coming back! Seriously, thank you, Corniger and Byron, for your kind remarks. I appreciate your even looking at my hybrids. ;) Now, onward and upward!!!

Juhoover22
05-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey Foxy thanks for the awesome pictures!

Cathyd you glitter painting of the tulip inspired me to try a glitter one.

Here it is:

foxytocin
05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
It's a party-tulip! Fun!

byroncallas
05-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Hey Foxy thanks for the awesome pictures!

Cathyd you glitter painting of the tulip inspired me to try a glitter one.

Here it is:

Wonderful. The glitter-bluebird is an extra special nice touch. :)
Terrific addition to this fun thread.

Juhoover22
05-24-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks foxy and Bryon :D

Heres one of it i did late last night:

cathyd
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Juhoover, Just saw your glitter painting. Wow! I love it. Nice work on your other one as well. :) So glad you enjoyed mine too. :rolleyes::D Thanks. Blessings, Cathy

foxytocin
05-25-2009, 03:41 AM
Juhoover, it is glittericious.

Juhoover22
05-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks ya'll :D

Turtleman
05-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post here, enjoy my flower. I wanted to finish this off but it turns out I hit export instead of save so. Looks a bit to flat for me.

yachris
05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey Turtleman, welcome to the group! That's a great flower, wonderful colors and lots of energy. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Turtleman
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Turtleman, welcome to the group! That's a great flower, wonderful colors and lots of energy. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Check out my DA then!
severeo.deviantart

foxytocin
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Your tulip is so vibrant! Lot's of life there....

Goldie
06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
My interpretation...a tulip in the snow giving a thumb's up!!! He he...It's just too darn hot here...

foxytocin
06-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Hah! Don't you love those snowflake stencils? Are those from MisterPaint? I've been itching to give them a try.....

cathyd
06-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Of course we love those stencils! Heehee! :D Hi Foxy, Those stencils came with ArtRage 2 and are in the "Festive" section of the stencil menu. They are beautiful, aren't they? Lovely painting, Goldie.

creationsings
06-06-2009, 03:05 PM
These lovely tulips gave me inspiration to bring out the digital brushes again. It's really just a quick sketch, but it was lots of fun! Thanks for the photo references!

billbonds
06-07-2009, 02:46 AM
What a great thread.

irishrose
06-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I love all of these Tulips... they are really bringing me into the spirit of Spring (though that's nearly over)... gorgeous!

Sher
06-07-2009, 11:44 AM
the details are really amazing!

chambersecrets
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
ok here is my take on this project. Its my first official Digital painting ever on any program. So im very happy with this. Thanks for giving me such a great task. lol

cathyd
06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Woah! :eek::confused::D If that is your first, I can't wait to see what you come up when you get rollin'. Hah! LOL! :D That is fantastic work and so beautiful! Blessings, Cathy

chambersecrets
06-09-2009, 04:16 AM
thanks you so much for kind words and encouragement. It really means alot.

cathyd
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Erica, couldn't find a way to "PM" you. I love your tulip! Like your banner too! And how did you get manage to post your banner in your signature? And get them and your links to be in the middle of the page? Did you use an "html" code or something? If so, could you send it to me or post it here? Thanks, Cathy

foxytocin
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I would never, ever have guessed that was your first ever digital painting, Chambers! So what did you think about the process? Was it enjoyable?

creationsings
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi Cathy,

I tried sending you a PM with my answer to your questions about my signature. Let me know if you don't get it for some reason.

Thanks for your comments about my tulip painting. I'm enjoying re-discovering ArtRage after a long hiatus.

chambersecrets
06-11-2009, 03:25 AM
FOXY,

yes the process was alot of fun. The process was alot like painting in away. I did the flower on one layer and the background on another. So to me it was alot like painting. I still have alot to learn. thanks for the nice comments.

BlackSquall
06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey I know i am kind of late with this one but i just came across your post and i wanted to give it a try.Thanks for the project:)

foxytocin
06-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Blacksquall. I think the washed and blended look of the background that you achieved is quite interesting in particular.

Sansonnet
06-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Here's mine.^^ (First post, btw! Hello there!)
I just did a painting of it.

yachris
06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome Sansonnet! You've made a beautiful painting... looking forward to seeing more from you!

screenpainter
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Sansonnet, You are doing amazing work in the artrage already! Also your self portrait is amazing... the polar bear was great. Anyway, amazing art work you do. That's really beautiful. Welcome!
Oddly enough, I did this same tulip project today too. So here is mine.

yachris
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Nice one gzairborne -- that's a beautiful tulip, and a particularly nice background. Really sets the flower off well.

screenpainter
06-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks kindly for your comment Yachris. :)

smashinAsh
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
hey everyone. this is my first time posting a painting. i am still just using the mouse. i'm hoping to get a tablet for my birthday in august. i enjoy looking at all your work and hope to someday be as talented as you all are :-)

drifteremage
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Everybody's tulips were absolutely amazing. Really inspired me to try. Decided I would play around with layers and this is what I got.
I took the red a little too far I think.

yachris
06-30-2009, 09:48 AM
drifteremage -- that's a beautiful image! I really like the streaky light in the background... brings out the flower nicely.

screenpainter
06-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Beautiful smashinAsh!
Very nice red drifteremage.

smashinAsh
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Beautiful smashinAsh!
Very nice red drifteremage.

ty so much for the compliment:D