PDA

View Full Version : My first painting...

Eileen724
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Okay, I've decided to brave the front and post my first painting for everyone's review and critique. I've never painted before but have always been inspired by others and their paintings...especially here at the ArtRage forum. I simply fumbled along, learning as I go and lo and behold a painting appeared. It also helped that I had a reference photo since I lack the imagination of a scenic view in my head!;)

jbyrjbyr1
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
This is a wonderful first painting (and far better than my own initial offerings). Welcome to a terrific forum; I hope we'll see more from you soon. jb

Sketchism71
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi een724. This is absolutely stunning! With the coloring you used in the wheat (the blue shadowing) and the values in the tree, I would have guessed that you were a very experienced painter. You have natural talent. Amazing and congratulations! :D:D

fraser_paice
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
That is very, very good...

misterpaint
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
wow!

really well done :)

Rowena
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Too modest by far ;)
..this is a beautifull painting and very skillfully done!

foxytocin
04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
It's a very pleasing image, the attention to detail is splendid, and it's obvious that you love creativity! You did wonderfully well.....

D Akey
04-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Stunning. The intense colors give is a heightened senses sort of feeling. It speaks of the richness of the land to me.

That's some entry.

yachris
04-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Wow, that's fantastic... wish my first painting had looked 1/10th as good! The wheat in the foreground, particularly, is nice. The leaves on the tree are also handled really well.

Since you mentioned critique, I'll mention two minor things. First, if the background row of trees were of a lighter value, the foreground tree would stand out more. If it's like that in the photo, well, I *really* like the line said by a number of my teachers: "Don't let reality get in the way of a good image" :-). Also, generally speaking, the further back the mountains go the lighter in value they get (you've done that exactly right) and the grayer they get. This helps with a feeling of depth.

Welcome to the group... looking forward to what else you do!

weembaman
04-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Very nicely done.....

ScottF
04-22-2009, 03:54 AM
What a wonderful first effort! (In fact, it would be wonderful if it were your 100th.) Great overall feel! Looking forward to number 2!

Lee
04-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Dear Een, WOW and Beautiful!!! if i were in a dentists chair i would want to be looking up at this painting, close and far away, so much peacefulness to look at, good job!:)

alinevada
04-22-2009, 04:01 AM
I love everything about this. It is a great landscape. The grain field looks amazing. Looking forward to your next efforts. :)

Eileen724
04-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks to all of you that took the time to check out my painting and all of your kind words! It's true that I am a "rookie" at heart with painting and using ArtRage. I have always loved to draw as a child and young adult but never took it anywhere. Once marriage and kids came into the picture, it went way, way to the wayside! Now that my sons are pretty much all grown (youngest graduates from high school next month) and I am currently an unemployed programmer, I have all of this time on my hands and drawing has come back into my life.

I've always been detailed oriented (sometimes to the point of madness!) so it does come out in my drawings. I've always been a fan of realism and have geared my creativity in that direction. But at the sametime, I've always loved the more freer and looser techniques that has little to do with "exactness" but with mood and utter self-expression. It seems when I've tried this technique, it looks as though I did it blindfolded and with the pen between my teeth! That is something I would like to explore more using ArtRage and this forum where I can learn from many of you masters. Thanks again and looking forward to being part of this talented community!

Liv Lukas
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Holy Cow! Wow!

RobertSWade
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome to here eem and please continue to "fumble" along and treat us to some more striking images. :)

scratch
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Very nice I like it good job

Caesar
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Stunning and beautiful prima! Now I just wonder what next if this is only the start!

byroncallas
04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I can only echo the other posts - stunning work. It's almost hard to believe this is a first effort. It is remarkably accomplished on so many levels, i.e. compostion, color, contrast, detail, light treatments and supurb execution. I'll certainly look forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to the forum.
Best, Byron

screenpainter
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Really beautiful landscape.

Eileen724
04-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I am glad that you've liked my first "showing" and I can only hope that I can live up to everyone's expectations on future paintings! :)

Syl49
04-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I just love the colors and serenity of your scape...beautiful painting!
Syl

Albert
04-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I like the grass. .......well done:D

Rob in Denver
04-26-2009, 03:02 AM
OK, here is my advice ( too late though) start out posting a really crummy painting, that way you will be seen as progressing as you post in the future! You don't leave a whole lot of room for improvement if this is your first effort! Fumbling along indeed.
I happen to like the colors as is. The are popping, and vibrant. Rich.
We will look forward to many great paintings from you!

Tolhaller
05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
For a first painting that is tremendous, Een. Good sense of depth too in the grass. As Yachris states, adding a little blue/gray and weakening the colour can add more depth to the distant treeline. However, good detailing in the overall picture, which I like very much. Great work.

sabena
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Beautiful landscape paintings... very well done:D

Bobbi
12-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Leen, I almost missed this one. It is so difficult to keep up with all the postings here in the forum. I try to go back from time to time to see what I may have missed. Glad I didn't miss this one. What a wonderful job. Keep them coming!!

Alexandra
12-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Big big thanks to Bobbi for posting on your wonderful painting Een, or I would have missed this! Stunning work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):)

TOM!
12-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Is that first painting? Eileen724, itīs really amazing!

Bumble
12-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Beautiful work!:eek: Excellent:D:):):)

Docsmith626
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Een, I had no idea. This is. . .aah. This puts you right up there with our best! I have no idea how to express it more emphatically.

shechat
12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
This is a beautiful painting Eileen, well done.

Aged P
12-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Hi Eileen,

I go along with all the minor criticisms, but you wouldn't be getting them if you weren't seen as a talented and natural painter.:)

That is a beautiful picture, you must have been secretly painting in your head up to now. What a wonderful start. Congratulations.:):):):):)

Don't get to "loose" if you're not comfortable with it, "Realism" always rocks!

Phil

Caesar
12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Absolutely stunning, dear Een! I like iy very much!

pai
12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Stunning piece, Eileen. So beautiful and fine work. I like it very much. :)

Fashmir
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Another one I missed before. Glad it got bumped back up the line. Very nice first painting Eileen. You don't even want to see what my first painting looked like. Like Sweedie said you are a true ArtRager. :)

Jim Walsh
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm so glad this painting bubbled to the top again. Its great.

foxytocin
12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Eileen, I'd love to see the expression on your face when you see that this thread got bumped up. What a treat!

Belvrog
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
It's a truly wonderful painting Eileen. :)

Briex
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I remember what I said to myself when I saw this painting this morning:

O-M-G

That is nice. This painting makes me totally happy and brought me vitamines for the winter. Well done!

Eileen724
12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow...I am speechless (for a brief moment that is!)...and that doesn't happen very often! I am also full of gratitude and very humbled at all of the wonderful and warm comments about my first painting with AR (wayyyyyy back in Apr/09!!!). I can't believe Bobbi went back that far in the archives of this gallery to find it amongst all the other wonderful and beautiful postings. I blush at the thought that all of you think so well of my painting and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to comment.

I have always loved to draw for as long as I can remember (which may not say too much since I'm over the "50" mark and my memory banks aren't want they used to be!). To see what young people today have at their finger tips for their creative outlet, like AR, is simply astonishing and wonderful. For me back in the day, just having a piece of scrap paper, a No. 2 pencil and the Sunday comics was all I needed to be content to draw the funnies for hours at the kitchen table with some of my sisters!

I feel luck was definitely on my side when I happened upon the ArtRage program and this forum back in April of this year and found a creative outlet that I was yearning for all my life. I always wanted to do traditional painting whether it was oils or watercolors but it never surfaced since being a wife and mom took precedence over everything else besides having to work full-time on the top of that! I am sure a lot of you can relate to that!!!

Having ArtRage in my life has given me the contentment I've missed all of these years of drawing and bringing a concept to life by using some pencil and paint strokes in AR. I am truly in debt to the ArtRage team for their creativity for bringing AR to life and for this forum of such wonderful, warm and creative individuals who, like myself, who need an outlet from time to time to escape to from our busy and sometimes chaotic lives!!!

Many, many thanks!!!
Eileen

Juz
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
This is gorgeous.... love the detail in the foreground grasses. The tree and mountains are beautiful. You rock eye-leen and should be showing us more of your work, not hiding it :):)

iceaxe
07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey! I so like this work, please come back and do some more :-)

Marilyn Anne
07-27-2012, 11:40 PM
This is a beautiful painting. The colors are fantastic. Very nice job!