PDA

View Full Version : Joined today, first painting

Mary
08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum today. Attached is my first painting with ArtRage 2. I used ArtRage a little when it first came out and recently decided to re-visit the nifty little program. I thought this original Macaw painting was great...so jumped right in to try the tutorial...but I felt like I was overworking it. Does it need to be cleaned up more or need more detail....or did I stop in time! LOL :wink: I don't know a thing about these kind of birds!!

drzeller
08-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I think this is a wonderful start! Great color and warm friendliness to the peice.

Welcome to the forums, too!

D.

Mary
08-29-2006, 02:24 PM
thanks for welcome and nice comments

Fashmir
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Mary- Welcome to the forum. I like the parrot very well. The question of where to call it finished is so subjective some times. It really depends upon what kind of image you want to express. This to me has the look of soft impressionism where the bird sits in diffused light as on a lightly overcast day with the sun still pushing through the clouds. A bright sunny day would perhaps require more contrast and this would doubtless be perceived as added detail. It's up to you. I like it as it is. I can see what I would add to it given my love of painting the effects of dramatic light.

Again welcome I'm glad you are here.

Mary
08-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Thank you for the feedback Fashmir. I was feeling a little insecure with this first attempt, but I feel more confident now and will tackle some original work.

You certainly have a way with the descriptive words...you're a poet as well as an artist. I also like dramatic lighting but I was afraid I'd make mud if I kept adding color. I used the palatte knife tool to push paint around after it was applied. Do you have any tips for manipulating the paint without adding MORE paint?

Fashmir
08-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Mary,

One thing you can do if you are using the full version, is to add highlights and shadows on seperate layers. This will allow you to experiment with placement, value, hue etc. without commiting it into your main paint layer. Once you have strokes that you are satisfied with, you can merge the layers and do some blending to tie it all together. I do this frequently and it helps me to get the results I am looking for.

Mary
08-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh thanks! I got so absorbed in painting I guess, that I never thought of moving to another layer! LOL thanks again!

Can you help with this question? I saw in a post somewhere that someone mentioned a "blender" tool. Do you know what are they referring to? I don't find anything labeled "blender".

Fashmir
08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
There are two or three ways you can blend color in ArtRage. None of them are the ideal blending tool... yet.

Using the oil brush take the loading down to zero and fiddle with the pressure and thinners to find the best setting for your needs.

Using the pallete knife tool with pressure set to zero has given good results depending on the medium you've laid down.

My third suggestion is more time consuming but can be worth the effort, again depending upon the results you are looking for. That is to use the Felt Pen set to pure white and 100% wetness. I have a brief on this technique here.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=860

you can go directly to the quicktime movie here.

http://www.vismag.com/Forum%20Posts/Watercolor_Pen_Sim.mov

Mary
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Very interesting technique you demonstrate. Thank you. I will try all methods. ArtRage is so easy to use 'right out of the box' but I can see there's still a lot more that must be learned by experimenting. Just wish I had a little more time to play! :D

Stephen Lo Piano
09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Just wish I had a little more time to play!

Play? I thought they called this artwork? It's not like sitting in front of the tele watching and relaxing. Sometimes it can get downright frustrating and painstakingly difficult to accomplish an objective, just like a job where you get paid to work.

By the way nice painting, looks good the way it is. I'm really not one to follow any discipline with painting since style and technique are different for everyone. Trying to get everything almost photo realistic is good practice yet lacks character and expression. You may want to accentuate a character of your own personal expression in the painting, depending upon your objective.
Through experimentation you might find the perfect ingredient for accentuating your paintings. Most artists are identified this way, you can tell by looking at the painting who was the most likely person to have painted the piece.

Mary
09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi Stephen.... I called it "play" because it's fun! Work can be fun if you enjoy what you're doing...doesn't matter how difficult or challenging it may be. Ya know what I mean? :wink:

ENCHANTER
10-04-2006, 02:47 AM
ive been away from the forum for a bit, i missed this one,

wonderful rendition of a macaw :)

Mary
10-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Thank you Enchanter. It was copied from a tutorial, so I have to give credit there! But I sure enjoyed painting it. :D

Roache
10-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey Mary

I just stumbled acros your work now.. I havent been back to the forums in sometime.

Good work lass... I think its looking pretty good.. As far as calling it finished.. thats always a tough one.. i always suffer with that myself.. my last image i tried doing more and eventually started over working the image and my main focus just got lost.

if there was something i would try (personaly) maybe detail the eye area.. so your eyes are drawn to that point .. making the viewer wanting to look at it closer..

but again thats a personal thought.

i think as is it certainly does the job.. Good work, two thumbs up

roache

Mary
10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Roache. You said "my last image i tried doing more and eventually started over working the image and my main focus just got lost." ....and that is exactly what I was thinking when I posted my comment. Most of the time I overwork it! LOL It's a hard thing to learn...when to stop! Putting more detail around the eyes is a great suggestion! Thanks!

halley
10-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I saw in a post somewhere that someone mentioned a "blender" tool.

Perhaps you saw it in a conversation involving me. If that's the reference, we were talking about a completely different application called Blender, which is for 3D design and animation. Of course, there are fifty bezillion other meanings to the word 'blender' which you may have seen.

Roache
10-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Howdy hey

indeed so, one tends to just procrastinate on a piece for sometime.. however .. after giving the advice to know when to stop.. i have just delved right back into my last work again.. haha.. but im trying a slightly new technique. so will see if this helps it along..

well do post up ur update if you do happen to give it ago.. i would like to see the progress.

anyways.. check this out

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3165

this is a tutorial by one of my favourite artists linda bergkvist. Anyways.. i think she mostly uses painter .. but in the end its the same thing ... you should have a look at her work.. (drool) its just amazing.. i want to just stop doing anything to do with art after looking at her work..

Mary
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for posting that link Roache. Amazing realism in that tutorial. I'm not familiar with this artist, I will have to do some surfing to look at more of her work.