PDA

View Full Version : Misty Morning - Tree Fix Page 4

Sketchism71
04-16-2009, 09:58 AM
This one was a bear! Just kidding. Thanks for checking it out.

fraser_paice
04-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow... nothing else just Wow!

~Anna~
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
This is extraordinary :eek: I can't stop coming back to look at it

Sketchism71
04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Fraser and Anna. I still need to work on the tree a little more, I want it to have a focus blur but I spent all my time on the bear. Thank you!

yachris
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow, Sketchism, you've really achieved something great here! The detail and accuracy is fantastic... way to go. I like the misty trees, too.

weembaman
04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
WOW...This is excellent...Love the lighting on the bear and the fur is perfect...Very well done...:)

calico
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow, the detail is stunning and I love the wild flowers in the foreground! I really think you've found your niche with wildlife paintings, Sketch! Hi five ;)

your sis,
C

Sketchism71
04-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Thank you yachris, weembaman, and Calico:):D

INKwithN
04-16-2009, 01:08 PM
"jaw dropping"...awesome work:D:D:D

RobertSWade
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Wow, that's a stunner for sure. True, the tree doesn't match the level of detail in the subject and the foreground, but I'm not sure how much that matters. Amazing work by any measure Sketch. :)

byroncallas
04-16-2009, 02:45 PM
It's a stunner Sketch. Supurb. The bear is simply excellent. And that's some remarkable work on the grasses. It's a winner in every way. Think you'll fiddle with that tree :D:)???

Great going Sketch,
Byron

Rick
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have to join in with the others.. This one is a WOW!!!

Sketchism71
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Thank you INK, Robert, Byron, and Rick!:D:D

and yes, the tree, I know, I almost posted in the WIP section just because of it, but I was anxious to post it because I have to go back to work over the weekend. The problem is not so much the detail in the tree but that the tree appears to be part of the foreground. The initial intention was to have the tree back in the distance with loss of detail. When I finished the foreground, the distance effect didn't work out for me. I figure I have to choices, either detail out the tree in the location it is, or place another tree/object with detail between the tree and the foreground to push it back. I will work it out. Thank you everyone for your comments, I needed them:)

Caesar
04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
It's a masterpiece, dear friend!
I'm absolutely stunned by what You was able to catch, illustrate and convey through this masterful and outstanding painting! :):):)

coops
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Sketchism, this is absolutely stunning. Everything about it is wonderful, it takes my breath away. Great painting that I will always want to look at again and again.

nightjar
04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
stunning .

Taron
04-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Wuhhh, nice! I like your solution for the depth of field. It just stays in the realm of painterly looks, but it already feels extremely fotorealistic. You have even gras go out of focus before the focal point, not just behind, that's really extraordinary!

Very impressive piece of work, great job!:cool:

Liv Lukas
04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought it was a photo for a second. WOW!

Nika
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Great painting. Love the depth and the bear is terrific :)

Aureo Lima
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow!
This is perfect! Wonderful! :eek:

Rob in Denver
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Sketchism!! ( I am determined not to say "Wow" since everyone else rightly did so!). First word in my mind when I looked at it? "DAMN!!!"
I was stunned like all the rest.
Excellent!

Aged P
04-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Hi Sketchism,

I think there are two ways to deal with the tree.

1. Spend a month adding fine detail to indicate how close we are to it.

2. Crop it off.

The bear stands alone, it's a magnificent painting. The fur and the grass must have taken ages to achieve.

Congratulations

Phil

idiotiQue
04-17-2009, 05:55 AM
More then perfect. :eek:
respect for you!

Liv Lukas
04-17-2009, 06:43 AM
I agreed with Aged, Crop that tree out. The bear stands alone. (As a great beast must.)

foxytocin
04-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I think it's wonderful......just plain wonderful. It is also a showcase of your skill with the program and your creative eye.
The bear appears thoughtful. I wonder what is on her/his mind?

Tolhaller
04-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Sketchism, another awesome painting. This is superb. I really like the focus on the excellent bear, and that grass is marvelous. Even the tree is fine as far as I look at it, the focus is the bear.

Jim Walsh
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
did anyone say "excellent"? love the detail and realism of the bear and foreground grass and flowers.

Sketchism71
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Thank you Everyone! If you have ever posted art on here before, you understand how great comments like the ones I have received make you feel. I also want to say thank you to everyone that does post artwork on here. I enjoy and learn from EVERY post I see. Thank you.

Sketchism71
04-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Thank you Everyone! If you have ever posted art on here before, you understand how great comments like the ones I have received make you feel. I also want to say thank you to everyone that does post artwork on here. I enjoy and learn from EVERY post I see. Thank you.

screenpainter
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Superb. Gorgeous. Beautiful. An artrage masterpiece. Just like it is.

D Akey
04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
What a noble looking animal. That is soooo well painted, you should be proud.

I kinda get that were you to articulate the tree needles, it could sorta draw focus a little from the star of the show, the bear. But I'm not sure if that would be the case. Anyway, you can see from the responders that the tree is a little bothersome. But it could be easily fixed if you chose to do so.

This is so well painted that I figure everything in this picture is on purpose, so the tree looks like it was from an out of focus photo, and therein lies the rub. It's clinging to the photo. The painting looks like a highly skilled painting. And you created an atmosphere that goes beyond a photo. So the tree handling is a little bit of a back step. Anyway. . .

Excellent animal painting and no doubt you would find a very welcoming home among both realistic paint lovers and wildlife fans alike.

Bravo indeed. Great tone to the work.

Sketchism71
04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks D Akey! Byron is on to something thinking you are hired by the government working in a lab probing our brains:eek: You are absolutely right on the money. The photo I used as reference was grainy. Enough I could visually make out the structures and even enhance. The tree is horrible in the photo, to the point I almost left it out, however, I felt it was important, at least the darkness of it for the overall composition of the painting. So I will go deep into a dark scary place of my brain and finish this from the minds eye. I call that "off leash art". Difficult to do but rewarding when/if it turnes out. Thank you!

byroncallas
04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey again, Sketch - playing off your starting words in the thread "The tree's a bear." ;).

Since you're on it about that tree: Have you considered 1) cropping the painting - cropping out maybe 2/3 of the tree and just articulating the 1/3 remaining, or 2) maybe replacing it with a large but dead tree (no leaves - huge trunk) that might increase the sense of the bears isolation and maintain the compositional integrity; or 3) using large boulders instead of a tree (all just thoughts)??? Whatever, that bear remains an awesome creature and I remain in love with the treatment of the grasses.

Beware, D.Akey continues to lurk in the shadows of your mind. :D

Best, Byron

Sketchism71
04-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Byron, I read your post just as I was posting this...Too Funny...I did exactly that. I cropped a portion of the tree but left enough of it for the composition. I also smoothed out the background which help bring out the hi-lites. I think! Here goes nothin!:o

Khalid_ipda
04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Great work, very beautiful.:D:D:D

byroncallas
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Byron, I read your post just as I was posting this...Too Funny...I did exactly that. I cropped a portion of the tree but left enough of it for the composition. I also smoothed out the background which help bring out the hi-lites. I think! Here goes nothin!:o

That IS funny. Great minds think alike (or is it "Weak minds sink alike."?):D Seems a successful solution to me; I like it. Again, that's one awsome bear; I do believe he stands out even stronger, but MAYBE the hi-light on his rear is now a little too strong - it's competing with the hi-light in the front???? Again, terrific, terrific painting.

Later Sketch,
Byron

ScottF
04-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Sketchism, this is absolutely wonderful! Your last version seems perfect in every way! This is one of the finest pieces IŽve seen in some time. Okay, IŽll say it: "Wow!" :cool:

Eileen724
04-18-2009, 07:53 AM
This is definitely huge on the WOW factor! The realism of the bear is incredible! It's almost as though one can reach out and touch it. I love it all just as is...

Bumble
04-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Wow this is absolutely amazing:eek:. I love this:p:D Great work!!

Sketchism71
04-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you Khalid, Scott, and een724! Your compliments mean so much to me:D:D

Byron, Thanks but now it looks like we both have a bright line to deal with:cool:

Bumble... Thank you sooo much, your words mean a lot to me. I can honestly say that you are the reason I was able to pull this off. I have stared at and studied your work since I joined this forum. You are an amazing artist:D:D

RobertSWade
04-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah! That's the "money shot" fer sher. Dynamite!!!

Caesar
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
You succeded to furtherly improve this masterpiece! Down with the hat! (no WOWs, You noticed?)

pai
04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Astounding painting. It's not just the detailed fine works attract me but this painting also gives me the peace and harmony feeling being connected to the wild nature. Masterpiece of yours. :)

jacktar51
04-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Sketchism71...Hello Sketch, this is one of the best pictures I have seen since the launch of Artrage,since I have been on the forum, very ,very good work......Jack.

Sketchism71
04-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Thank you Robert, it's funny though, I've never seen a penny from a "money shot"! Story of my life:)

Thank you Caesar, and trust me, Im not counting Wow's. An artist can never have too many:D

Thank you Pai, but I do have to lend some of the credit to the reference photo I used and to the bear in it. There is no way I could ever paint something this detailed from my imagination alone. I always feel that as long as we can paint, Mother Nature will take care of the rest:D

Thank you Jack... I don't even know how to respond to such a monumental compliment other than THANK YOU! With the talent I've seen on here, including your own, I think I have to disagree with you, but thank you anyway:D:D

SCP
04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Awesome image ! The fur,grass and mood captured well.

jbyrjbyr1
04-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I've been off the forum for a bit and was amazed with the first version of this a few moments ago; and then I saw your final version...even better (he said, as his jaw fell onto the keyboard).
The bear...the distant trees, the grasses...the tree; simply gorgeous. Well done...well done, indeed. jb

Sketchism71
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you SCP!:D

Thank you jbyrjbyr1... Thank you for the jaw drop comment. That's exactly what mine did looking at the final version of "Large Landscape"!:eek:

niqianjing
04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
it is great! I want to know how you work on the bear's hair ?

Liv Lukas
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
The tree is much better now! You did a GREAT job. You must just wake up in the morning and kiss yourself. LOL

Sketchism71
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL Liv:D:D That's too funny! Unfortunately no, as with many people who do a lot of art, I sometimes have a hard time enjoying my own work. Sometimes I only see whats wrong with it instead of what's right. But I LOVE hearing from people, like you, who see the right in it. Thank you!

Sketchism71
04-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Sorry niqianjing, I just now noticed your comment. First...Thank you
Second... The bears hair was done with the crayon tool starting with the darkest value and working into the light on about 30% pressure, all one layer. I kinda just kept working it until it had that bear hair effect.