PDA

View Full Version : Calm Before The Storm

Sketchism71
04-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Thank you to everyone who walked with me through my dizzying WIP post on "Leopard Concept". I finally found my way. I appreciate everyone's point of view on which Cat to use but I had to finally put the pen to the pad and wrap this baby up. Im still working out some details on the rocks in the foreground and grass placement... but I need a break..."THE PRESSURE!"...Just kidding. I had a blast painting this one. Thanks for checking it out!

D Akey
04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Looks like a wonderful diorama at the museum. Amazing amount of information you put in. Love it all but the varied sky is a great touch - dramatic and evoking a real outdoor mood. Reminds me a bit of my long camping trip in Arizona. . . except for the kitty.

Did I say 'epic'? No? Well your painting surely is.

pai
04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I am so lucky to pop in now to see this awesome painting, Sketch. Looks like he's searching for a target after sunset. So much to look at. I really like your sky and that tree. Excellent piece. :)

byroncallas
04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Stunning Sketch. It's remarkably rich. I know I voted for the other cat, but seeing the final, I've gotta say you pulled it all off and delivered a feast of a painting. My wife is a fan of your stuff and she's gonna love this one, as do I. It knocks my sox off.

Since you said you'll be doing some touch-ups here and there, one minor suggestion: maybe consider toning down the white in the cat's left hind leg. It's the brightest spot in the painting making it I suspect the unintended focal point. Meanwhile, the cat is an awesome piece of work.

Best, Byron

Sketchism71
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
D Akey, Pai, and Byron. Thanks for the kind words. It is so cool to do something like this and have the ability to show people. Talented people!

coops
04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Thats wonderful Sketchism. I really like the way you have done the rocks and the sky is so atmospheric. Really great painting.

byroncallas
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
PS to previous post: showed my wife, she's raving about it. :)

Sketchism71
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Byron...Tell your wife thank you! I've never had a fan before:) My wife says she is...but she has to LOL. Thanks for the input by the way about his rear leg. Ya know, I had that duller at first and actually lightened it. I thought it would balance the white in the sky, but you are right! It's to bright! Unless of course the entire focus of this painting was for you to look at his rear leg...then of course I nailed it!...LOL.

byroncallas
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Byron...Tell your wife thank you! I've never had a fan before:) My wife says she is...but she has to LOL. Thanks for the input by the way about his rear leg. Ya know, I had that duller at first and actually lightened it. I thought it would balance the white in the sky, but you are right! It's to bright! Unless of course the entire focus of this painting was for you to look at his rear leg...then of course I nailed it!...LOL.

LOL indeed :D.
And I'm sure your wife really really really is a real fan, so for sure you have at least two (three including me :)). Don't be surprised if you find a lot more fans chiming in.

Best to you and yours Sketch. -- Byron

Peter Pinckney
04-02-2009, 07:59 PM
This is without doubt stunningly good..............BRAVO!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):)

Caesar
04-02-2009, 09:15 PM
An awesome work for an absolutely stunning result!
This scene is so richly and intensely shaped and coloured that it seems to have both the contingent and the ideal essence and content of it fixed on the same painting; moreover it looks superbly emphasised as if You took a shot using appropriate filters to have all the colours, tones and nuances emerge!

monicka84
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Wonderful work, great details... bravo!:)

Mairzie Dotes
04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Sketchism71,
Exceptional, just exceptional artistry! You have captured the very essence
of this scene in all of it's natural beauty and wonder. The palette, detail
and presentation is to be admired. Awsome! :)

Rob in Denver
04-03-2009, 12:44 AM
There are some really talented folk here, and Sketchism, you are one of them.
Since I almost never make it over to WIP to see what's going on there, paintings like this deliver a completely out of left field wallop when I open them. Then I just sit here stunned, which is what I did when I saw this.
Just excellent work, and the input from Byron was spot on. I am looking forward to that coffee even more now!

Vaik4zas
04-03-2009, 02:34 AM
It is a stunning work , well done! Very artistic.

Sketchism71
04-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Ok... I toned down the leg a "hair" If this seems the correct tone, I will finish shadowing it. Also... Thank you Peter, Caesar, Monicka, Marzie, Rob, and Vaik4zas for your nice comments:)

ScottF
04-03-2009, 06:08 AM
I just finished commenting on the WIP version. I always start there. This turned out very well, as I mentioned a few minutes ago. :cool: A wonderful painting!

Rob in Denver
04-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Better on the leg I think!

byroncallas
04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Ok... I toned down the leg a "hair" If this seems the correct tone, I will finish shadowing it. Also... Thank you Peter, Caesar, Monicka, Marzie, Rob, and Vaik4zas for your nice comments:)

Hi Sketch. Yeah, for sure the tone is considerably in the right direction, a marked improvement. I know it can get NUTS dealing with this stuff at this stage, but I do suggest perhaps introducing more of the golden brown hues throughout the leg since there is so little of the white-gray in our cat. As such a large mass of white-gray set off by itself, it still seems to act as a bit of a focal point. Breaking it up a bit with some of the golden-browns should even further reduce a potential tendency for the eye to wander there. Meanwhile, I'll say it again, this is an awesome painting. - Best, Byron

sabena
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Sketchism71

Wonderful painting:) great work :D

yachris
04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey -- that turned out REALLY good! You definitely did the right thing on the leg... now it doesn't grab all the attention.

I would be tempted leave it as it (now) is, and then lighten up the white clouds on the far right. Then you'd have a nice triangle between the white clouds and the cat's leg.

OH YEAH: Everyone who (like me!) forgets to click on the painting to see it at its full size, DON'T MISS IT on this one! The details are great, and get a bit blurred by the forum software making it fit.

Dany51
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi Sketchism71,

Beautiful painting,

I like the rain that we can see on the horison,
the general stormy athmosphere
and the "nice" kitty in the foreground,
it is a delivery for the soul.

Tolhaller
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey S71, great work. I knew it would be great however you ended up painting it, as it started so well to begin with. Beautiful.

Sketchism71
04-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks ScottF...lol I've done that same thing before in the WIP forum...commenting away on this or that and the painting had been done and posted.
Thank you Sabena:)
Thank you yachris...I like the triangle idea, I didn't really notice I even had that going on. Thank you also for checking out the larger size. It was painted at 200 dpi (my little lacktop...I mean laptop can't handle 300...it studders to much.
Thank you Dany51...btw, your blog is a wonderful little place to go and just hang out.
Thank you Tolhaller...Im glad at least one of us had confidence in this:)
and thank you again Rob and Byron. I can see what you are saying Byron...you have a great eye!

screenpainter
04-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Beautiful job on this. Love the depth you achieved here... as if rendered in a 3D program.. it is that good. The sky is also amazing.

nightjar
04-04-2009, 06:20 AM
lovelycolours stunning.

byroncallas
06-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Sketch, just noticed you've been moved to Ambient Spotlights. This is one that sure belongs here. Congratulations :):D

SHAP00PI
06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
absolutely superb, speechless, i too saw the early progress of this image, never considered it to become so amazing, great work.

Bumble
06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Wonderful work Sketch :):):):eek:

billbonds
06-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Superb. Outstanding.

Sketchism71
06-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Wow, Thank you everybody...I just realized some of my paintings were moved here. Very cool! Thank you for the great comments! I have no idea how they decide what gets into the spotlight section, there are to many great paintings...Glad I don't have to pick them!:):)

irishrose
06-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Sketch, I am sorry I did not see this one.. wow, what realism... so detailed. You are the master!!!! :)

Sketchism71
06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Far from a master, however, thank you for the kind comment irishrose!:)

irishrose
06-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, I think you are! :)

Lee
06-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Dear Sketch, WOW, that is surely a beautiful painting of a beautiful scene,, a real museum piece, what beautiful country too,,, again, wonderful painting !!!:)

Sketchism71
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you Lee!:D
Thank you irishrose!:D

SCP
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Hi Sketch only just came across this thread,great painting mate!;):)
Also very nice to see it, where it belongs, in the Ambient Spotlights section.Well done.:)

Sketchism71
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for checking it out and the comment Scott!:D

Eileen724
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
It's a rare occurrence but I'm stymied as to finding the right words to describe my feelings for this painting! Remarkable and engaging are two definite things that come to my mind. For me just saying beautiful or wonderful would not fully justify this magnificent beast you've masterfully created on this canvas. You have a true gift, Sketch, and this is a real masterpiece you've created!!! :D

Sketchism71
06-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Wow een, thanks for the great comment! Thanks for checking it out!

chambersecrets
06-15-2009, 09:22 AM
wow the stormy background is amazing and im not just saying that to be nice. i love the scale and size of the storm. great work!!

Sketchism71
06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the comment chambersecrets!:)