PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Blossoms WIP/Critique request

yachris
04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello,

This is partway done... I decided to trace a photo since I was tired that night :-) and then try to get a kind of flat, watercolor look.

The kinda-like-wood background is just a placeholder.

Any critiques/ideas/etc. welcome... THANKS!

Sketchism71
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey yachris. Looks like a good start. There is a lot you could do with this. Are you looking to mainly duplicate the image in the photo? Are you wanting to do more with it?

weembaman
04-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Fine start...Looking good..

yachris
04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks both. Sketchism, you've probably hit the nail on the head... I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with this. I definitely don't want to copy the photo... or I'd be dead already :-). Those who know cherry-blossoms know I've edited out about 60% of the blossoms. Oh yeah, the vase is crackled glass, maybe someday I'll tackle that!

Sketchism71
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
whatever you decide to do Yachris... Don't give up on it. It has awesome potential. One thing I enjoyed about posting my last piece here in the WIP forum is that I think I may have lost my way a few times and started a different project. The comments and suggestions helped fuel me through it to the bitter end. Good luck!

yachris
04-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Sketchism -- thanks for the atta-boy.

It's interesting; I think I know why I don't particularly like this one. I started out doing watercolor; I discovered that I don't *think* like a watercolorist should. In particular, I like opaque media because I often want to do substantial changes, including light over dark.

So ArtRage gives me a real fine eraser, and layers, so that shouldn't be it... but then I realized that I also don't like filling in pre-drawn outlines! I just love the push and pull of working all over the image, changing the bits of the composition as I go, and playing in the paint :-).

So yeah, I will finish it because I *do* want to see the final image :-) but I'm not loving it like I do with the chalk or paint tools. Funny how these things work out...!