PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Billie Piper from Doctor Who

dali
02-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Finally finished it, this was an all-nighter. It is now 7 a.m. and time for the day to begin again. I think I'll put on a pot of coffee and pull out my pencils for a portrait that is long overdue. I added a portrait tutorial for this one in the tips and tricks section if anyone likes to know how I made this portrait.

barnburner
02-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Wonderful job Dali... You truly have a gift.

Rob in Denver
02-20-2009, 02:41 AM
OK, I think I have to start watching this show! You are off the charts Dali with your depictions of people. The skin and flesh here is utterly convincing, and what a charming personage you have chosen to paint! I will check out your how to! Great job!

D Akey
02-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Wow! What a babe. . .

An image where cuteness is the reason for being, it's not so easy to pull off. . . Just like in real life, where a beautiful girl is even a little off it really shows. This is great.

The limited palette and smoothness reminds me a little of the later day pin-up illustrator Olivia's style.

Very nice work. All the extra time was not at all wasted.

Caesar
02-20-2009, 03:17 AM
It's so perfect it looks like You painted her "noumenon", i.e. the Platonic idea of her, more than the real one (the "phenomenon").
I'm sure she's got not even a naevus on her skin! Nonetheless there's a little point to inicate. The two shoes seem not to be from the same pair (look to the number of shoestrings).
How did i notice? You know, I'm so gallantly polite I would not just keep staring to the only parts men use to look at! (for that purpose I rather use the peripherical vision initially, not to give a first bad impressions) :D

Apart from jokes Your skill became really terrific, dear Michelle! Did You use airbrush to get such a smooth fantastic color tones transition?

dali
02-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Thank you barnburner for your kind words.
And thanks Rob, it really is a good show to watch, although, she's not on inthe next season...but there is another babe coming so tune in for that one.
Thanks DAkey, I really would have liked to have been a pin-up artist in another life...who knows, maybe I was one.
Thanks Caesar, you have such an eye for detail, and I pondered that shoe for awhile as I drew it, wondering if I should stick to what I saw, or go ahead and draw a second strap, but I went ahead and left it as I saw it. I figured her shoe had come down a little in the picture, and the strap was now resting somewhere above her toes. Could be why they chose to crop her toes in the actual photograph. Otherwise, I would have left such delightful toes in the frame. Darn shoe problems, even runway models cannot get away from them, but perhaps I as the artist should have drawn it in anyway. :D:p

And yes, the airbrush is my favorite tool for that smooth finish. I never do a portrait without using it. I have a real one at home, rather noisy, paint clogs the contraption at times and then it splatters everywhere. I never really got the hang of the real thing. I loved its effects, but not how difficult it was, and I absolutely abhor cutting out friskets. That's why AR is so simple for that task.

ScottF
02-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Dali,

Once again you´ve given us a stunning portrait! Your work never ceases to amaze me!

dali
02-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Thank you Scott, I appreciate you taking a look at my new one.

D Akey
02-20-2009, 06:33 AM
And yes, the airbrush is my favorite tool for that smooth finish. I never do a portrait without using it. I have a real one at home, rather noisy, paint clogs the contraption at times and then it splatters everywhere. I never really got the hang of the real thing. I loved its effects, but not how difficult it was, and I absolutely abhor cutting out friskets. That's why AR is so simple for that task.

If it's spitting, it could mean that your nozzle is cracked. If you know how, take it out and look at it under a photo lupe if you have one. You doubtless have a microscope or something somewhere at the hospital. But at the place where the needle slides though, if you were rough with it, it could have split from jamming the needle through trying to fix a clog or something.

It could also be caused by too low pressure from your compressor.

It could also be the paint had little goobers in it.

Those are the main causes. It could also be that it doesn't like you either and was so angry it could spit.

I got to where the only paint thing I ever used it for was laying in skies.

Another cool use was to use water in it in order to moisten the art when painting acrylics to soften the edge or for brush blending. One does it using a regular intermittent burst of mist -- not too much at a time. I often painted with that in my left hand. Plus it kept it from spitting paint in an annoying way when airbrushing paint.

And then again, there's digital art, haha. Keeps the lungs clear and the room free of paint dust.

weembaman
02-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Excellent portrait, Your style is perfection, nicely done...

Rob in Denver
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Ok Dali dear, I have a question--do you have the "real" air brush pen? I always hope to get the dedicated one.
I think you could be a great pin up artist! Don't know where exactly the market is, but you are as good as it gets in that dept. Make a book, and I will buy it if my wife will let me!

dali
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks D Akey, it wouldn't surprise me that they are cracked, I bought them used off ebay and I use them with a regular air compressor from a hardware store. I bought them just to try them and just couldn't get the hang of it. The first one I used to paint river stones, used it so much it began to leak around the needle. The second one broke at the button and the third keeps spitting. Probably the paint though. I tried watercolor through the nozzles, but couldn't ever get the paint to water ratio right in order to make a strong color without all the water. Thought about using vodka with paint to see if the vodka would evaporate faster than the water, but then it broke. Actually did try vodka with food coloring to paint a cake though, worked pretty well.
Thanks weembaman, and Rob, do you mean like an airbrush wacom tablet pen? No, I don't have one but really want one. I can't figure how it would be different though, so haven't sprung for the cost of it.

dali
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh, Thanks again Rob, I actually did want to do the pinup art, but it would be a little darker, more vampire like. Might work on it someday.

RobertSWade
02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow. This turned out rather nicely, to understate the obvious.

dali
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks Robert!:D

byroncallas
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Really beautifully done. I'm looking forward to reviewing your tutorial. I think somebody said it already, but you should do a book of these.

Levent Suberk
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Very beautiful painting, like Vargas paintings published in Playboy magazine.:)

dali
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Well thank you Byron and Levent, now you have me thinking about that book. :p

nightjar
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
suoer painting lovely skin tones. 10/10
dave.

jacktar51
02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
dali....Great painting...I dont know how I have missed your work before, this one is remarkable, which is why I came in to leave a comment, I too will be looking in the " How To " section....very nicely done.....Jack.

ginahobbit
02-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Just fantastic Jack:)

Mairzie Dotes
02-21-2009, 03:04 AM
dali,
I am not familiar with Billie Piper but this portrait is outstanding!
Exceptionally well painted and boy do I envy that tan! :)

Rob in Denver
02-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Dali, all I know about the dedicated air brush pen is that you don't have to touch the wacom, it works holding it above, and i suspect it has better control.
You deserve one, make it a gift to yourself, though you certainly do wonders with the stock pen.

fraser_paice
02-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Aww Dali I was going to try her next.... Sheesh I'm really going to have to lift my game here... Stunning.

dali
02-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Heh Fraser, weren't you the one that beat me with Doctor Who? I swear I had downloaded a pic of him to try and then I saw yours online.
Rob, I guess I'll have to look into that airbrush, might be fun to try.
And Mairzie, you're not kidding, I'm a red head so I don't tan. I've always envied those who could. My kids...well, 2 of my 3 children always brown nicely in the summer. The other will have my problem of freckles and pale skin.
Thanks Gina, Jack, and nightjar if anyone has any questions about the tutorial, just let me know.

avionartrage
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
marvelous work out there dali... I am sure to follow ur 'how to', :):):)

dali
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks avionartrage, glad you liked it!

screenpainter
02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
She is amazing. Your portrait is just brilliant. Fantastic. :)

dali
02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks gzairborne!

Belvrog
02-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Finally finished it, this was an all-nighter. It is now 7 a.m. and time for the day to begin again. I think I'll put on a pot of coffee and pull out my pencils for a portrait that is long overdue. I added a portrait tutorial for this one in the tips and tricks section if anyone likes to know how I made this portrait.

Great work Dali. 7.a.m for sure you need coffee.......one of the scariest moments in my life was when I read about too much coffee is making tired.:eek: Painting takes a good portion of my night life regularly so I guess I know how you felt that moment.:D

Concerning the portrait, I don't know her, but it's some really great portrait. The shading is very good and it has some really nice fine detailing. She's a beauty. Very well done.

pai
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Excellent piece again and so as your great tutorial on this one. Very professional looking. I really like this one. :)

dali
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Pai and belvrog, there's no such thing as too much coffee. :D Once I start on a picture, I can't quite stop sometimes.