PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Abstraction.

soapy
02-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Lately I have been doing a lot of semi abstract paints. So I thought I would start a thread to share them out. Here is the first in the series and among the earliest of my artrage works.

soapy
02-18-2009, 05:43 AM
The style, quality and subject matter of these abstracts will vary wildly and will mostly be linked only by my own sensibility.

soapy
02-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Some will include representational elements and trompe d'oeil.

Caesar
02-18-2009, 07:02 AM
WOW. These abstract are really tasty!

soapy
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
The Tyranny of Numbers.

byroncallas
02-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Fun to look at - very inventive. More?

soapy
02-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Todays is a little more quiet.

D Akey
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
You've got some cool things going on. Your burnt umber or whatever color that is is really letting your colors, even the subtle ones, work great.

Has a real painterly feel without it feeling academic, perhaps academic at the level of a daydreaming student in a school where they're trying to fit him into a rote education. Believe me, that was me in school. My books never resembled text books by the end of the semester -- so much that I could never re-sell them for all the doodles.

Love the use of the post abstract expressionistic (for lack of a better term) chops.

Caesar
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Another couple of tasty abstracts added; curiously they are very concrete and 3-d concepts, stunning in any sense. Bravo!

soapy
02-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Your thoughts have gotten me thinking about these pictures and it occurs to me that in a sense they are not abstractions at all really but more likely realistic renderings of semi abstract paintings. Digital simulations of paint. Which Artrage does really well. And of course the pictures contain some non abstract elements so I guess handles don't fit too well so I don't know what to call them.

soapy
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Ok after all that stuffy formalism I lost control and cut loose. Can anybody guess what this one is about?

Mairzie Dotes
02-22-2009, 02:30 AM
soapy,
I am thoroughly enjoying your abstract and semi abstract entry's.
There is a freedom of allowing the hand to follow only the mind and
brush for the result can be creatively amazing. Re: "The Turning of
Numbers", the image made me wonder if this poor smoker is attempting
to eliminate his smoking habit by switching to lighting up Jalapeno
peppers :eek: and he is counting down the days to a hopeful, full recovery.
(Don't think the hot pepper alternative will work though but let me
know!) On your latest entry, I have a feeling that "Alka Seltzer" and
some fresh air might be in order. Great, interesting and intriguing series. :)

soapy
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
A little experiment with atmosphere, I suspect I will revisit this one again later on.

Caesar
02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Brilliant pair. I slightly prefer the first one because of bright and warm colours I guess!

soapy
02-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Well the last couple of attempts to paint something were total bombs, so no new pictures, this one started as an abstraction and just developed how it did. The picture preceded the bad pun. :-)

soapy
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Been busy lately but I finally got back to some doodling.

Mairzie Dotes
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
soapy,
Keep doodling for expression is a venture to many places both near and
far. Am really enjoying your creative offerings! :)

soapy
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mairzie, I am glad you are enjoying the experiments. One of the things I find really interesting about artrage is that when people use it their way of making art is preserved. That is they make pictures in it that I believe they would make just the same with regular art materials. So out of it comes bad art good art weird art etc.

I am enjoying toying with it as if it was real paint and I were making quick abstractions. Not creating a stack of physical canvases of oddball experiments is very liberating.

DaveRage
03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I really like the depth to this last one, the shadow effects are really cool!

Caesar
03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I fully agree with DaveRage comment! :)

soapy
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Well I got Artrage v3 yesterday. Very cool! I wasn't sure if it would be a good upgrade or not, but it is. This is the first doodle out of v3. Sorry to burn your eyeballs.

byroncallas
01-15-2010, 06:23 AM
This is a darn fine doodle - adventurous, colorful, playful and engaging. And I remember this thread from a year ago and liking your inventive, creative imagery. I liked you stuff then and I like it now.

Welcome to AR3. Really is a fun first offering. :):):):)

Eileen724
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Pretty cool doodle abstract, soapy! Very colorful and creative! Glad to see that you're enjoying AR3 so much....just keep on painting!

soapy
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Whoa its been awhile since I posted to the Rage forums. Tonight I was looking through some old paints and found one for you guys. I give you 'The Damned'.

Caesar
12-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Whatever abstact You compose, it seem to get magically an overall own harmony and elegance of the palette and of the traits/ textures.

Icepulse
12-04-2010, 09:59 AM
"14th July" is absolutely boomin'!

I love the painterly stuff best, always.

Please dig my stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/icepulse/sets/72157625376843389/

The first two rows are all ArtRage Mobile (iPad) stuff.

Mairzie Dotes
12-05-2010, 03:05 AM
soapy,
Noticed your thread and updated abstract early this morning , "The Damned"
and am really taken by the spontaneity, creativity and exuberance of your
wonderful expressions and have always envied artists such as you that can
transfer vibrant emotions onto canvas ... well painted! :)

When I woke up a bit ago, made a cup of tea, turned on the computer then
into Art Rage to find your updated painting, "The Damned" I thought ... geez,
though still shaking Mister Sandman's leftovers out of my eyes, was inspired
to paint "something" but what? Kept thinking about your creatively vocal
cussing :eek: abstract as I looked out of my window and noticed a now, baron
of leaves Maple tree huddled against an overcast December dawn sky and
thought ... "What a damned foggy morning it is" and ping! ... decided to paint
an impression of what I was seeing. The background color that I used mimics
the shade of the sky that I was looking at and used only the "Gloop tool" for
the branches.

I have never painted anything so quickly before ... this only took five semi-
awake minutes ... a new auto pilot record and the title is, "Overcast Dawn." :)

P.S. Thanks for waking me up in such an ArtRageous way! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

byroncallas
12-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Terrific. This remains :)a thread worth frequent revisits.

Mairzie Dotes
12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Terrific. This remains :)a thread worth frequent revisits.

byroncallas,
I almost forgot that I had painted "Overcast Dawn" because I was half
asleep when I created it. Possibly I should only consider painting when
I am still in sleepy land. The art pieces might turn out better. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Thank you for the kind response. :)

soapy
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
A stripped down figure study for a future 3d toy model perhaps.

soapy
03-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Hoping to bring the paints a little faster here. Warning: Quality control could get sketchy...

Alexandra
03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh dear. . . I hope this is not a psychological test.:p Okay-let's see-I see a person evolving from a fish to go back into an egg and the regression of the human mind.:o

soapy
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh dear. . . I hope this is not a psychological test.:p Okay-let's see-I see a person evolving from a fish to go back into an egg and the regression of the human mind.:o Exactly! And all that after he became an artist and cut off an ear...

AT-TA
03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Interesting play with brushes. :)

soapy
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
The plan for this image was to make something a whole lot busier as is my usual approach. But an interruption stopped progress and then I decided it was done when I got back to it. My son put in the big smiley, props to him for owning a rad drawing style.

Alexandra
03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I like the 3D effect and the graffiti!:)

Caesar
03-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I love Your latest additions too! Your color schemes, patterns and graphical signs are really tasty to look at so well combined together.

soapy
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Do not smell the flower!

screenpainter
03-19-2011, 10:54 PM
great fun thread soapy. love your freedom of expression in your art and grafitti graphic style. enjoyed the whole thread from soup to nuts. the latest piece really honing in on some very cool design elements.

soapy
03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Render unto Caesar...

soapy
03-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Fresh one after a long absence. Enjoy.

Caesar
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Glad to see You back, dear mate! I like the last one in particular with a sort of threatening shadow which cannot overlay the yellow brushstroke ... probably a key for decrypting a possible interpretation ...:rolleyes:

soapy
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I have been away from making Artrage painting for awhile but resolved to get back into it today. Enjoy.

D Akey
12-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I rather like the second one just above this comment. I like the sort of wild abandon against the structure of the numbers. It's almost as if the structure is a counterpoint and the person is either reacting against it or else he is afire with inspiration that comes out in very ordered way -- trying to distill the physics of it into a form or language others can use. but that's just my take on it. Nice, evocative image.

Dynamic and energetic.

Caesar
12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Nice to have You back. Very creative and evocative new addition.

soapy
12-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words Gents. Here is another one, two in one week, dunno what got into me.