View Full Version : Making of "the Phoenix"

12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

Here is a small explanation of how I came up with "the Phoenix" image which you can see in the general gallery here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16476

First I used a free opensource app called Apophysis which you can download here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/apophysis/

- make sure you have the latest version (2.08). If I remember correctly, its less than 2mb (well worth the download IMHO).

Apophysis is used for creating, editing and rendering so-called "fractal flames". For more info on the math behind the app and a few tutorials googling apophysis will do.

The nice thing about Apo is that you can render out PNG images with a transparent background, which you can easily import into AR and manipulate.:D


12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I played around with Apo until I had an image I was happy to experiment further in AR with. The uploaded pic is a jpeg file, however the original is a transparent PNG file as set out in the first post.


12-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I imported the Apo render into AR a few times onto different transparent layers (the first/bottom one) on the black board canvass - changed the color to pure black).

I then rotated the different layers a little ("transform layer" option).


12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Then I erased unwanted parts on the different layers, merged the layers and applied a soft palette knife all over to get that smudged feathery look.


12-16-2008, 12:44 AM
From here I basically duplicated the main layer, played around with different blending modes like overlay, multiply etc.

In the process I painted a blue layer with the roller brush and erased parts of it again.

I also painted a few areas with the airbrush on an overlay layer with a light color to bring out lighter tones.


12-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Finally I imported another Apophysis render (the blueish one attached) which I thought would compliment the image nicely, onto a new layer ( - looked like a cool blue flame to me at the time:D)

I duplicated this layer a few times and played around with the rotation again. Again I also played around with the different blending modes. If I remember correctly I settled for an overlay blend on these layers.

I erased the unwanted bits on the different layers and merged the whole lot.

Finally I again used the soft palette knife make the final adjustments to the Phoenix;)

Although I did not save a pic of every step, you should have pretty good idea of how the image was eventually achieved. Hope you enjoyed it.


Questions & replies now welcome.:)



01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Neat effect, Yvan! Cool to see how you did it.

01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
That finished image is really impressive. Great job.

01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Glad you like it guys!

01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks yvan, that's very cool. Can't wait to play with it. :)

03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Excellent tutorial Yvan and beautiful result !:):):):)