PDA

View Full Version : Neo venice- London after the flood....UPDATED

michaelw
10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
It's been in WIP for just under a week and I'm glad to say that i'm finally happy with it.

I hope that its impact isn't lessened for any of you that saw it in progress!

Please click to see the larger version as i fear that the small one will be over sharpened!

UPDATE:

I coudn't stop tinkering so the second image is a new version with elements darkened to give more depth and a more easy read to the image...

Lee
10-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Dear Michael, well, concratulations!!!! whew!!! that was hard work!!! and what a result,!!! i still like your original sketches, they had an old world look to them, like Michael Angleo;), this is sooo cool, i see you draped the telephone poles, if it is for a video game it will be awesome, but, i can see this as a Disneyland ride, a canal ride through past ages into modern times,:)

michaelw
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
That was fast Lee!

So glad you liked it... I'm really pleased with how it turned out in the end. I was very depressed about it this time yesterday!

Nabil Saleh
10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Dear Mchaelw ,
Amazing painting , The composition is excellent and the idea the astonishing , you draw the building with accurate details .
Every thing is perfect , I like water and persons in poat , lighting ,sky ......
It's great piece dear Mchaelw .

michaelw
10-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Thank you Nabil, Much appreciated words!

Peter Pinckney
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Brilliant!:):):):):):):)

michaelw
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Brilliant!:):):):):):):)

Thanks!:):):):):):):):)

orbital_chiller
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Neat! i definitively love this "layout" style :)

Jester2001
10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
You have a great imagination, I'm very impressed with this work! Looking at the painting brings up lots of mystery, and intrigue, and the promise of a great adventure. Bravo! <Clap, clap, clap!>

screenpainter
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Fantastic!
Brilliant work! :) great drawing and painting!

RobertSWade
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Fascinating. Thanks so much for the blood, sweat, and tears that you shared in the WIP.

maror
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Great... i love it. Ended up not that bad as said in the wip thread.:)
I think thats just the right amount of details now..

Wonderful piece...

Greetz maror

michaelw
10-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Orbital Chiller, Jester2001 and gzairborne, Very glad you like it!

Thank you Robert and Maror, your comments were very helpful in the WIP thread and I'm very glad it's done now, and I can enjoy it!

Mairzie Dotes
10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
michaelw,
A visit into a journey of adventure. The passengers in the gondola
seem quite intimidated and amazed at the visions that are before them.
Your creativity and attention to details are to be congratulated. You
have managed to capture an old world look that is very appealing. :)

michaelw
10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Mairzie, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you "got" the characters and feel as that's the effect I was going for!

thank you :)

Davisa
10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
WoW. Amazing. So beautiful :).
Great job ^^.

Greetz D:)visa

michaelw
10-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Thank you Davisa. lovely reaction.

The trouble with digital media is sometimes it's hard to stop tinkering!

Here I've darkened down some foreground areas (a layer set to multiply with dark greyish blue paint on the areas I wanted to darken.) I played with the opacity of that layer to get the right effect.

I think that the new version has better depth and is an easier "read" to get what's going on at a glance.

Here it is (I'll post it in the first post of this thread so it's easier to compare as well.

Caesar
10-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Maror, all my admiration for this artpiece! It's a superb composition showing all Your outstanding artistic talents and skills!

michaelw
10-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Maror, all my admiration for this artpiece! It's a superb composition showing all Your outstanding artistic talents and skills!

Ha ha ha, that's twice now!

I'm not Maror!:eek:

Thanks anyway Caesar:)

maror
10-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Hehe caesar.... i don't know if should take as a compliment:o.... i believe i do:D But take care next time;)

@michaelw

Yeah that's better... it's so cool to experiment with final pieces (there's nothing to loose). But if you get so much stunning pieces it's hard to decide wich one you post...

Greetz maror

Caesar
10-16-2008, 04:31 AM
I'm so sorry Michaelw, the problem was You start both with M and Maror was fast to comment (and I got really old, I see!). I put ash on my hair!
I think I need to review both on You on the behind the brush thread! You know, visual memory is better to me. :D

Thanks Maror for telling me, late alas! You don't need to borrow other compliments than the ones You already deserve by Yourself! ;)

ScottF
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
This turned out just amazing, michaelw! Ive been with you through the various stages, and I must say it was an interesting and informative process. So very well done! (Now copy it to another machine so you can leave it alone for awhile. :D)

michaelw
10-16-2008, 10:05 AM
HA HA Scott! glad you enjoyed the journey and very glad you like the result!

I've definitely moved on now and am doing/planning a new piece (probably 3d this time) so don't have to move it yet!

D Akey
10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
That orange is really effective.

But still I would recommend that you simplify what is directly behind them and the gondola as that gondola with people is really complex and it's not so easy to see the actors as it might be. You can leave all the detail, but just lightening the values perhaps. . . or taking it down to a flat area behind them. At this level of finish, you don't need to get particularly detailed in the areas that are getting in the way of a good quick read.

The overall feel is pretty nice though in storyboard comp sort of way.

By the way, I saw your website too. Looks good to me. :):):)

You've been working alright. I think the idea of simplifying the number of items is good to show off your style especially. . . and feature your best. You have a lot to choose from. A lot of range during development.

How are you going to handle showing the different things/skills you are bringing to the table?

Dany51
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Great work, expressionist style I think.:)

DaveRage
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Fantastic! Really interesting imagery, and lots of details which pop out after the initial view.

michaelw
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you Dany and Dave, Much appreciated words!

DAkey, I might come back to that area when it comes top presenting this stuff. If i look at it now I'll never get my current pieces done!

By the way, I saw your website too. Looks good to me. :):):)

You've been working alright. I think the idea of simplifying the number of items is good to show off your style especially. . . and feature your best. You have a lot to choose from. A lot of range during development.

How are you going to handle showing the different things/skills you are bringing to the table? That's the real trick i suppose. I need to target the following:

Illustration , Concept design and 3d modelling/asset creation.

There doesn't seem to be enough work in concept alone to sustain me and my family, but a little work from each has worked historically.

I'm in two minds as to whether these should actually be three different websites targeted to clients in each area... but there should surely be enough crossover to combine them as complimentary skills rather than looking too diverse.

"a full service" as it were..

It definitely needs some thought though.

pai
10-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Michael,

I have been reading this painting so many times (including the WIPs), you amazed me of your drawing skills, composition and details in this piece and your other works. But I still feel something is distracting me in this one. I think it's the middle building is blocking my view. Like not that openess but because I am not a professional and no formal training. My thinking may not right. Hmmm..I think maybe I view it as a painting rather an illustration piece. Hope you don't mind, I am just learning from your amazing works. :)

Weeks
10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
He MichaelW... Yo**u!! YOU ROCK Man...! An..Amazing painting...

You've got a fan... :)

Best,

Weeks

michaelw
10-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Many thanks for the comments Pai! Don't be afraid to express your criticisms of my work, They're very interesting to me. Glad you enjoyed the WIPS.:)

Weeks, Thanks for your enthusiastic response, you made me laugh!:)

Nika
10-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Fantastic work :)

michaelw
10-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Glad you like it Nika!:)

Belvrog
10-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Gorgeous painting. So much detail in here. Great composition and I love how you did the water and the wet shiny floor to the right.

Rain11
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Excellent work Michael! This must have taken a long time to do. Lots of wonderful details here. Everything looks great!:)

michaelw
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Belvrog, glad you liked my treatment of the materials. thank you,

Rain11, It took a lot more thought than painting strangely enough. It took anything up to 15 hours of actual painting sessions, but I sort of lose track

That said,I had it on my laptop screen every evening for a week, so probably spent 20 hours just looking at it and thinking "that bit's wrong, must do this, must do that" when I was actually trying to relax and watch TV!

michaelw
01-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey, got moved to after 9!

Didn't think it was risque myself...

AndyRage
01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Hmmm... I dont know why that got moved to the After Nine section.
I probably did it by mistake when I was updating the Ambient Spotlights gallery. So I've moved it back to where it belongs.

sandyg
01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Wonderful work Michaelw, and you have an amazing web site, loved going through the gallery and your sketch section, lovely work.