PDA

View Full Version : An Artrage Zoomquilt?

thesleepless
07-27-2006, 10:58 AM
if any of you have not seen the amazing zoom quilt project, i suggest you go and look at this (http://www.duracel.de/zoom/zoom.htm) now

a collaborative artwork adventure,

what it will involve is creating an image in artrage of a specific shape, namely:
a rectangle with a rectangular hole cut in the middle, lets set the size to:

1024x768 pixels with a hole in the middle of 512x384 pixels (half the dimensions),
you will then paint an image in the area outside the hole.
and it then passes to the next person who then doubles the size of the image to 2048 x 1536 pixels and puts a 512x384 pixel hole in the middle, and paints in the area between the original artwork and the hole they places in the middle
and you then crop off the portion you recieved and pass it to the next person and so on for as many as we feel like

then for the final piece the original image is shrunk to fix the hole and they are joined in to a loop and compiled into a flash animation for all to view

obviously this will take a bit of organisation, but if you're interested i'd love to know as i've been wanting to find some people to collaborate on such an artwork since i saw it many years ago, perhaps this is the place?

bleepnik
07-28-2006, 12:33 AM
I have that zoom quilt project thing saved somewhere; it's amazing innit? Sounds like a cool project to me, but won't zooming in on raster graphics be problematic? The Flash thing works because they don't lose quality when zooming in; we would. Thoughts?

.g

thesleepless
07-28-2006, 04:26 AM
justG the original zoomquilt is all raster images actually, it's a series of jpegs, since they're higher resolution than you'd generally see them on the screen you don't notice it. it uses the method i described above.

example1 (http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/12.jpg)
example2 (http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/13.jpg)

AndyRage
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Y'know I was wondering how they did that.
It sounds like a fantastic idea, thesleepless.

bleepnik
07-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Ohhhh.... Cool!

.g

sweeneymini
07-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Cool :D I had a link for the quilt but it broke. Now its found again :D

maror
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
yeahhh nice idea.........when do we start? :)

greez

thesleepless
08-07-2006, 11:33 PM
good question, i guess we need someone to start it off, i could do that, unless someone else would prefer to?

list of interested people seem to be so far:

thesleepless
maror
justG?
sweeney?

hopefully more people will join in once we've got something to show

maror
08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
yes i would be nice with a huge comunnity project with alot of members...

for advertising..how it could look if it's finish... zoomquilt (http://www.foulbeast.com/zoomquilt/zoom.htm)

greez

sweeneymini
08-09-2006, 02:43 AM

list of interested people seem to be so far:

thesleepless
maror
justG?
sweeney?

Yep I'd be up for a go :)

Prawnsushi
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Interesting! Could be fun to do :)

D Akey
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I've never seen nor heard of a zoom quilt. What a phenomenon! I still can't believe it. Don't understand it. But I'm genuinely in awe.

Thanks for bringing it up to see.

Phew.

Aged P
08-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi,

I can sense the principle behind this, but if anyone could do an illustrated explanation of exactly what is needed I would be grateful.

sbug51
08-14-2006, 04:26 AM
oh oh oh me too i would love to do that as well!!!

sweeneymini
08-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi,

I can sense the principle behind this, but if anyone could do an illustrated explanation of exactly what is needed I would be grateful.

If you load up the quilt, the first scene you wil see if the one with the monitors, motorbike and tower.

At this point, the most prominent picture is the first frame:-
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/1.jpg

Then squashed/resized into frame 1's hole is frame 2:-
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/2.jpg
(you can see this in the initial quilt position).

Then, you can see frame 3 has been squashed into frame 2's hole:-
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/3.jpg
(again, visible in the initial quilt position)

This process is carried on until the hole hits the vanishing point:-
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/4.jpg
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/5.jpg
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/6.jpg
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/7.jpg

With all of the images set to go, the quilt waits until you start zooming. As it is zoomed, frame 1 is zoomed in, e.g. by 1 pixel. That makes its hole 1 pixel bigger and so the picture inside the hole increases by one pixel. And the size increase goes done the chain of the images.

Hope that makes sense :)

Here's all the frames:-
http://public.hbk-bs.de/~baumgarn/zoom/steps/

Jules
08-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Absolutely blinking amazing this, dont have it at speed like I did, gone all dizzy now ahahah.. soopper doooper :shock: MORE MORE, claps :D

D Akey
08-15-2006, 02:52 AM
I looked at some of the pics from the linked Zoomquilt. It doesn't look that difficult. But there were a few groundrules, it looked like to me.

Theirs had a similar style, i.e paintings that had depth, handled in a fairly realistic way, and from there they could put whatever they wanted into it. I think in order to push the depth thing, those tracks or roads leading in and back may have been a spec.

Is that an intention or are we going to play around with any art style? And would it work as well using different styles?

thesleepless, have you any ideas about what we should have and where we can play around?

Does everyone need Flash?

thesleepless
08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
that's a good point D Akey,

while the subject of the images can vary hugely, there does need to be some continuity of style, and those orange things going through that quilt are an excellent tool for joining the whole piece.

it's necessary to say that paper type must be the same for every piece, and at 0 roughness (since the scale will be changing and it'll look strange if the size of the texture changes)

i'll also ask that there be no metallic paint (metallic paint gets hit by light from a certain direction and will look strange as it moves and resizes, and personally i think it looks tacky)

i'll say that each person should do at least 2 in a row, maybe 3 to give them enough room to put something interesting of their own in

the artwork must cover the canvas completely, and i'd ask that it be done mainly with the Oil brush, Palette knife, Roller, and non-metallic glitter, other stuff can be used underneath but it should be covered with paint in the end.

as for depth, that's probably a good idea, if we have a single point perspective originating from the centre just as a guide, it needn't be strongly enforced

no one needs flash except for someone at the end who will join them all together, i can do this.

i'll do one to start us off now...

D Akey
08-16-2006, 03:52 AM
I look forward to seeing the prototype!

It'll certainly be easier to understand what's needed technically to see something.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics behind this. Is there somewhere on the web that explains how to do one in a step-by-step as it were?

Thanks for getting this started!

D Akey
08-16-2006, 04:01 AM
Oh, I guess I missed sweeneymini's post with some smples. Very helpful, though it has yet to take hold in my brain . . . But I can see there's a logic to it, so it's gonna clear up for me as we do it.

Thanks, sweenymini.

thesleepless
08-16-2006, 07:47 AM
okay i've made two pieces

piece 1
http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/1_thesleepless.jpg

exported it as a png
i then imported piece 1.png and rescaled it to 50% and resized the canvas to 200%, set the paper opacity %0 and paper roughness %0
then created a new layer and placed the new layer below the one with the original image. then select the new layer, this is where i then created the stuff in piece 2.

piece 2.
http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/2_thesleepless.jpg

as you can see the edges aren't perfect but that can be fixed more easily afterwards in photoshop as artrage makes it difficult to get the colours perfect when mixing in thick paint

to facilitate the running of this collaboration i've made a little (horribly ugly and simble) website for it

ArtRage Zoomquilt Project (http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/)

there you can view the images already completed.
if you want to make the next one press checkout if it's available (only one person can check out at a time) they then have 48 hours to check it in.
to checkout you need to enter a name and password, the password is needed to check it in when you upload the file (which must be a 1024x768 PNG)

hope that all makes sense, please ask if you've got any questions or problems with it.

sbug51
08-21-2006, 03:02 AM
great ideas the sleepless, dude we can use the road where the guy is standing as the orange thing, it would make more sense, like as if it a long long road, and i think that the rather not hard edges are good as well, it is giving it an "artrage" feel to it, so yeah we can continue smoothly with the colors i guess, like the transition from outside the cave to inside or something, i will be back to my home country within 10 days, so i will give you guys a chance to draw ;) hehehe

best of luck!

UB

maror
08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
@thesleepless

Good work....i hope to join it soon..i do some previous tests!
A early question: How does the flash part :twisted:

greez

maror
08-22-2006, 12:58 AM
okay here we go....hope i understand all correct...
and here is piece number 3...cave entry...try too repeat your style
sleepless.

greez

thesleepless
08-22-2006, 01:39 AM
great work maror, you've got the hang of it for sure, but no need to use my style, use whatever you like, make it yours. looks really good though, and works great when you run the images so far in sequence, it's already giving the zooming feeling. can't wait to see more.

and i'll happily do the flash part, unless someone else feels eager

D Akey
08-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Maror - just great!

thesleepless, you would probably do it best, but I would be curious just what it is you do to make it work in Flash.

maror
08-22-2006, 02:42 AM
well thx guys

here part 4! And now someone other... i'm addicted :lol:
I fact i have serious problems with the colorpicker and the exportfunction...
i seems to be much brighter after the export? and to correct this is a bit difficult!

@thesleepless
i thinnk its better to follow the style of the other painter until you get a good connection to another style! But thats my opinion and maybe i am seriously wrong! I also can't wait to zoooooooooooooooooommmmmmm

Greez

maror

smellygirl
08-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Wow, this is really cool! I had not seen a zoomquilt before! If I were confident I could paint something decent I would join. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Have you decided how many frames to make it?

I would also love to hear from somebody who knows flash how you go about putting the frames together.

thesleepless
08-22-2006, 03:12 AM
wow maror! that looks amazing! so much better than i had hoped for! i'm really impressed.

i've noticed the problem with the colour picker, it seems to get a colour a bit lighter, not sure if this has been picked up by the devs yet, might be worth posting about it in the technical forum, haven't noticed it with the export function but all the exported pieces seem to be the same as each other which is what matters.

smellygirl, if you're not confident download one of the frames and give it a try adding to it and see how it goes, if you're not happy with it you don't have to submit it

and not sure about how many frames yet i guess we'll see where the flow takes us... it could theoretically go on eternally but i suspect we'll crave some finality before then

i haven't worked out how to do the image compositing yet in practice, but i don't think it will be too hard, i'll start experimenting with it soon, it will most likely be done programmatically (with actionscript) rather than using the flash frames.

D Akey
08-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Excellent excellent excellent maror!!!!!!

Great depth and variety of lights and darks which should really emphasize transition in space.

Woohooo!

DaveRage
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
This is fantastic. I'm really enjoying seeing where it goes. I've only seen one zoomquilt before but I thought it was a great idea and enjoyed watching it through many times, trying to notice any the little details. Great stuff!

thesleepless
08-24-2006, 02:28 AM
http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/5_thesleepless.jpg

someone else have a go please! don't be afraid

http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/

D Akey
08-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Will be jumping in here perhaps next week, once I clear my desk. I want to doodle around with some ideas in the meantime.

I love what's taking shape here!

No problemo if somebody(s) elsee goes before me. But I'll be along shortly.

maror
08-24-2006, 04:33 AM
:D hey sleepless... it's wonderful

i so much fun to see how you connect to my image....hey community common we want alot of tiles with diffrent styles :wink:

greez maror

digitalpops
08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow! This looks great!

I can't wait to join in!

I'll give that a shot right now. I'm really glad to see this happening. Very fresh and inspiring.

digitalpops
08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
O.K.

I just turned in the first part of what may be a 3 part contribution.

I quickly noticed how doing two or three pieces in a row makes sense. The first one tends to be a Transition piece from the previous Idea to the next.

I've all ready got the other ones going, so I hope not to use up the whole 48hrs for the check-in time. I want to give it back ASAP so the rest of you can join in.

This is very fun.

I noticed that matching colors correctly is an issue. I also found that creating a Layer under checked-out piece and using the Marker tool to macth the outer edge of the previous painting is far more accurate than using the Oil Paint tool.

I'm cointinuing the proccess. Can't waint to see how this all unfolds. I love the spontaneity of it.

-Cheershttp://emsh.calarts.edu/~pruvalca/sketches/6_digitalpops.jpg

maror
09-01-2006, 05:28 AM
yeahz yeah absolutly great digitalpops 8)
i wait for piece two!!!!

Greez

digitalpops
09-01-2006, 12:32 PM
O.K.
Here's phase two. One more to wrap up my contribution.

Here's a mistake I noticed about my previous one. I realized that I didn't quite paint completely to the edges of the painting. Particularly on the top and bottom parts of the canvas. Just something to note for the rest that continue to add on this very fun and exciting project!

I'll do my best to paint completly from now on:)

I'm working on my third installation right now. I look forward to passing the torch ( I should finish it tommorrow, if all goes well).

cheers,

-digitalpops
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~pruvalca/sketches/7_digitalpops.jpg

thesleepless
09-01-2006, 06:03 PM
wow digitalpops! looking amazing there!
so happy with how it's turning out

but i think we need to kill off these cliffs soon! turn them into something else perhaps or they could change direction and go straight outwards maybe, otherwise it'll look too similar throughout the whole quilt i think

ENCHANTER
09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
wow!!!

WHAT AN AMAZING PAINTING THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE!

:D :shock: :D

digitalpops
09-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks "thespleepless" for your tip.

I didn't realize I was dragging it out so long. I'll modify that in the next section. Thanks!

D Akey
09-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Fantastic digitalpops!

Really good follow up.

digitalpops
09-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey "thesleepless",

I flopped on my last entry. Life happend last minute and I didn't have time to turn in a finished piece. My appologies on a sloppy entry.

I submitted it twice...

I re-entered it with the title "8_digitalpops_fixed.png". Hope it's not too much of an inconvenience.

This is really fun to do.

-cheers

http://emsh.calarts.edu/~pruvalca/sketches/8_digitalpops.jpg

smellygirl
09-06-2006, 03:05 AM
very cool! I like that Easter Island head sitting there in the background, and the dinos. makes me think of a land-of-the-lost concept.

smellygirl
09-09-2006, 11:42 AM
ok... no activity in a couple days... I am going to check out the picture and try to add something this weekend!

smellygirl
09-12-2006, 01:16 AM
all right - i uploaded a frame for the zoomquilt. it took longer than I thought, partly because at one point something went wrong and I lost a layer & few hours worth of painting. :(

i was planning to do a 2nd frame, but probably won't have enough time until the coming weekend, so if somebody wants to take it from here - fine! fyi: this is what the packages were going to say (but if you paint from here you can do what you want!) ... on left: Easter Island box, the flap would say "CONTENTS: 1 HEAD". On the right, the bag of gumballs would say "BUBBA GUM".

hope nobody minds this is so cartoony or that I made a bit of a continuity break! tried to tie in a couple things: pink balls from first frame, striped pipe from a few frames back. also, if I do paint the next frame - that hand was going to belong to the boy in the first frame.

sbug51
09-13-2006, 07:31 AM
wow and lol! thats just so amazing! very original idea! and fun! its soooo cool! my computer is still back to crashing(a problem that is like breathing to me..) so i will be losing any thing i draw on artrage.... heck! i am back to using watercolors! cause this computer keeps on crashing!

digitalpops
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Great Transition! What a way to brighten it up. I like the use of overlap between the old and new elements. I like the dino food and easter island box. The hand is great! Awsome work Smellygirl! I like the way this zoomquilt is turning out.

Deni
09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Wow!!! really cool stuff, i think I'm in two! I'll try to make a frame...! Somehow this zoomquilt reminds me of Pink Floyds "Another Brick in the Wall" :lol:

drbeams
10-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Is the quilt still in play?

thesleepless
10-05-2006, 06:02 PM
yep it is! i've been insanely busy lately so i haven't been able to add to it, hopefully someone will get a chance soon, i love how it's evolving!

hanzz
10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I never looked at this before.A fantastic concept.A fantastic initiative, and fantastic drawings.
Absolutely TOP !!!
Congratzz you guys !
I'll pop in regularaly from now on ! Great watching it evolve!

Mouse
11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Who has the quilt checked out?

Mouse
11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Somebody want to pick this up?

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Back on track with the ZOOM TUBE... I HAD HELL trying to get something going with the fishtank, and it just didnt work... how can you make a forward going path out of that... so I tokk it from more or less the last workable stage that was still a path leading forward,it is a frame of a movie,which moves forward to the next frame and then the next..so you get the effect of looking out of the back window of a car and your watching the landscape go into the distance..tizz a very funny landscape,but thats how it works, each person makes two or three frames hand hands it on....

Right this is what to do.
you will get a picture..of a road, a track. a walkway ,or a railway.....some kind of path coming from the back towards the front of the picture
2 the size you get will be 1024x768 pixels
3 reduce the size of this picture to 512x384
4 open a new blank paper 1024x768
5 put your reduced picture on a tracing paper
6 convert that tracing layer to paint(IN The layer Options)
7 you should now be able to merge the two layers(Giving you a small picture in the centre of the bigger blank paper.
8 from the top left corner of the small picture, draw a line to the top left corner of the blank big paper,do the same at the small pictures right corners,and then the bottom leftout to big bottom left
9 you are now ready to start painting your first frame
10 there is one simple rule...it MUST continue forward on some kind of path or road or track, or even water, but it MUST come from the back of your picture towards the front or you break it...like the fish tank did. apart from that put in whatever you wish, the paper with no picture on is waiting to be filled by you,if you manage to do one and its some form of pathcoming to the front of the picture,and you want to do another, do another. follow the procedure exactly steps one to nine, and you should be okay... but dont forget that one simple rule....... Jack.

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Right Ist coming out of the fishtank

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Second frame...I Hope MAROR or someone will take this for another two frames please,or anyone who has done this before... just to get it started again...it was doing so ewell up until the fishtank stopped it,with no path.

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Mouse or Maror, I think I need to have a hole in the back of the last frame.....of 512x384???????or am I wrong... and how do we dump that fish tank...that was the dead ender...does you know, or do we have to get ANDYRAGE to do it so we can continue?? who knows? ... Jack.

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Heres my third frame..... I will do this on my own then if no-one joins in,but it aint going to beat me....Jack.

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I will do one frame a day.... Jack.

jacktar51
01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
There are actually four frames hereif we cant get rid of the fish tank, I have cobbled one patching frame to take us onwards through the front glass of the fish tank, if we can get rid of the fish tank scene altogether and carry on from the previous frame that was okay then no need for the poatch and the frame one should fit its the right size.so then frame 2 as normal and frame 3... I hope someone will help me then.... we'll see. Jack.

jacktar51
01-26-2007, 06:17 AM
if anyone wants to have a practice here..feel free. it doesnt matter if you mess up... there are frames already missing, that is why i have started a new thread...so have a go... its easier going forward,thats what i've done in the new thread..... Jack.

smellygirl
03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
i don't know why you feel you could not have continued after the "fish tank"... but i am sorry if i stopped any progress...

although i certainly broke the continuity of the setting... it is not as if i dropped a "path" that existed out of the previous frame -- based on discussions in the thread, the previous artist led the trench off the side of the frame and i ended it because the consensus was that it was getting too monotonous. so the only "path" remaining from that previous frame was really the tentacle at the bottom -- which i also continued.

i don't know why it should have been hard to go on using that. maybe i should have painted another frame or two myself.

it sounds like the zoom quilt is continuing somewhere but i can see no additional frames in this thread or the other newer thread, or on the web site where the frames where being posted for eventual use in the flash.

it would be nice to see this completed whether or not my "fish tank" is in there!

MooMisterCow
03-16-2007, 04:06 AM
To revitalise this thread, check out the lovely sequal to Zoomquilt at http://zoomquilt2.madmindworx.com/zoomquilt2.swf

Some other surfing stumpled upon a whole load of similar projects:-
http://www.onlinequilt.net/quilts/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gridcosm
http://www.sito.org/synergy/gridcosm/

Anyway, I've just purchased ArtRage and so stumbled on this forum, and the images you guys have done for an "ArtRage ZoomQuilt" are fantastic. However, as an impartial observer, it seems like the latest image by smellygirl is causing some headaches.

I don't think that there's necessarily a problem with changing the style like that. If you look at ZoomQuilt 2 (and GridCosm even more so) then there are loads of crazy style and palette changes, and even at one point a total perspective rotation. But perhaps the change in style needs to be continued for a few frames for the viewer to feel sufficiently drawn in. Perhaps we draw back from the fishtank into a normal room, and draw back further to see that the room is a cage with some strange demons staring in at the inhabitants. I don't know. (Actually I think my imagination is being hampered by the original ZoomQuilt there, because a zooming picture doesn't always have to involve demons does it!) Okay, so they're sheep, and they're...er... wearing hats...

Perhaps the solution to the ArtRage Quilt is for smellygirl to continue her section with another couple of images, so that the style can develop, and others have more chance to see where it will go next. After all, the best thing about this project is that it can go on for ever so everyone can have a part of it.

And it occurs to me that anyone can create a distant future section of the painting, leaving the centre hole blank, and at some point they'd only need to make a few modifications to their innermost image to connect it up to the group effort. That way people could start drawing now rather than waiting their turn, and we'd end up with a whole lot more images.

Of course, at some point we'll need someone to work out the Flash script to actually zoom the thing. However, the Internet may provide, as I found:-
http://www.sofake.com/ which has sourcecode at:- http://laco.wz.cz/tween/?page=examples.

But even without that, it's an interesting art project: a bit like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse where one person draws a head, and the next draws the body and so on.

Anyway, when I've practiced a bit more with my sparkling new ArtRage, I'll lend a hand.

Mouse
03-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Actually, the ZoomQuilt got "stuck" because nobody was able to find and provide links on how to create one. It appears that someone has found these. Anyone volunteer to stitch it togather?

As far as smellygirl's painting, I don't see it as a problem. Honestly, any painting in the sequence could be a launch point for a total different direction of the ZoomQuilt. It would be an interesting exercise to have multiple endings to the same beginning. Kinda like parallel dimensions.

MooMisterCow
03-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm working on the Flash code right now, mostly because I work in an office where typing into development applications is acceptable, but doodling with a graphics tablet is not!

I'm find Flash really nasty to learn, like the way you can litter the screen with (potentially invisible) visual objects, and stick bits of code here and there within them, all running concurrently. Trying to understand example code is doing my head in, but I'm slowly getting there. Probably bothering to read a few "Dummies Guides to Actionscript" would help. I'm almost tempted to give up and do it in Java, but Flash is probably a better medium.

So far I have something that takes four of the original zoomquilt pics (for reference) and zooms in to them. Assuming the same dimensions as ZoomQuilt for now, using the reference pics someone linked to earlier on this thread.

However, the list of things I need to sort out is long:-
- If you zoom the picture by 1 each time, the zoom appears to go slower and slower the further you go in. So there's obviously some clever trick I'm missing here.
- Having 40 or more zooming pics, but only displaying 4 or 5 of them on screen at once.
- Ultimately I want to define the list of pictures in an external XML file, so people could add and modify the pics without recompiling the Flash script.
- I also need to work out how to create a preloader frame at the start, as this will be a big Flash file to download.
- Oh and I'd originally planned to allow you to zoom into other parts of the picture rather than the centre, allowing a "going round a bend" effect, but I think that will be too much of a headache to implement.

So don't hold your breath.

However, I think it's do-able.

On the subject of "artistic style", I think the key is for each contributer to come up with a run of, say, 5-10 pictures so that the style is consistant across them (note that in a single snapshot of the quilt you'll be able to see 5 or 6 pictures at once), and then we can work out how to stitch those sections together in the final version. Also that means that people's creativity isn't necessarily limited to what's gone before.

jvolkel
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I waqs wondering if it would be possible to assemble the 'zooms' as an animated GIF file. It seems that would be a lot simpler, but I am not an animation Guru. :?

MooMisterCow
03-27-2007, 10:18 PM
You could do it as an animated GIF, yes.

The problem will be file size, as instead of storing 40 or so "key frames", you'll be storing each individual frame of the picture, and at 30fps and at least 800x600 resolution with the entire image changing each frame, that will be a lot of data to download. You'd probably be better off creating an AVI and uploading it to YouTube in that case, but YouTube always seems a bit jerky to me, and obviously you won't then be able to control the zoom speed or reverse it.

That said, creating a fixed animation of your pictures is relatively easy to do in Flash (for example, although perhaps other animation packages that support image scaling and tweening might be cheaper and easier to use) and requires no programming experience and only a little bit of "Flash" experience. You could then export that as an animated gif, or even a Flash SWF file. I just found it rather tedious to try to animate "by hand" and also wanted to add some additional features such as a preloader.

oscilis
04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
I would be interested in that but I am not quite clear about the instructions or what the theme is?

MooMisterCow
04-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure about themes or art styles. I think currently it's a bit of "do what you like". For an example of how it will look in practice, look up the ZoomQuilt or ZoomQuilt2 links on this thread.

As far as instructions go, give me a few days to finish the Flash code and it will become clearer. However, the general idea is to
1) Create an image 1024x768. Draw something. Save it.
2) Scale the image down by 50% (512x384). Centre it on a new image. Draw something in the surrounding blank space.
3) Continue till you get bored.
4) When displayed in reverse order, it will look like you are zooming into a picture of infinite (well, large) resolution.
5) Assemble these pictures in to a nice Flash animation and it will zoom smoothly.

The code is coming along really well, but I want to tidy some stuff up before letting you guys have it. My goal is to make something that is easy for anyone to use to play around with their own zoomquilt images, without needing Flash to recompile them. I figure that's the best way to get people motivated, and everyone has the option of doing their own 'quilts', or getting together to combine them into one large one. ZoomQuilt2 has about 80 images, which is a lot for one person to draw!

Current features are:-
1) Images are stored outside the Flash FLA and so can easily be modified.
2) Image list is stored in an external XML (text) file so you can add and remove images easily.
3) You can zoom in and change the zoom speed with the cursor keys.
4) You can set up an oscillating z-axis rotation as you zoom in, which looks nice and not even ZoomQuilt2 does. (I figure it would be nice to have some new features for our quilt, rather than just rip off a 3 year old idea)
5) There is a preloader screen - which means it will display a nice loading message and bar-chart instead of just freezing up until it has loaded all the images.
6) Other properties for the zoom (rotation, speed etc) are set in the external XML file.

Still to do:-
1) Smooth out the zoom. For technical reasons I haven't worked out, as you zoom in to an image, the apparent zoom speed slows. This means that you get a slightly jerky zoom as the apparent speed slows down then speeds up as you hit the new image. I'm trying to smooth this out by actually increasing the zoom speed per frame to match the slowdown.
2) Go backwards. Actually there is quite a bit of code to zoom in, which will have to be duplicated and modified to allow you to zoom out. So I haven't done this yet.
3) Actually draw some pictures!

MooMisterCow
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Hurrah!!!

The Zoom Quilt code is done! Well... as much as I can be bothered to do without getting some feedback.

As I said above, now you can all get busy making your own zoom quilts and perhaps even combine them into our own ArtRage Forum quilt.

Check it out here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/markandtasha.terry/zoom/moozquilt.html

Then download your very own version at:
http://freespace.virgin.net/markandtasha.terry/zoom/MoozQuilt.zip

Unpack that Zip file somewhere, and take a look in the "MoozQuilt.XML" file for instructions on how to add your own graphics. I've even included the source FLA for anyone with more than two weeks Flash experience to optimize.

jvolkel
04-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey MooMrCow - That's really neat. I downloaded the zip file and will try to play around and see how it works. Love the demo. Again, Great work - Thanks.

MooMisterCow
04-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Just a quick followup to say that you can see the current ArtRage quilt (as defined by this thread - the splinter thread started by jacktar51 didn't seem to have any images in it?) by doing the following:-

1) Download und unpack MoozQuilt from:
http://freespace.virgin.net/markandtasha.terry/zoom/MoozQuilt.zip

2) Download all the images at the following URL to a subfolder "artrageimages":
http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/

3) Modify your MoozQuilt.XML file so that the images section looks like this

<images>
<image image="artrageimages\10_smellygirl.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\8_digitalpops.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\7_digitalpops.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\6_digitalpops.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\5_thesleepless.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\4_maror.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\3_maror.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\2_thesleepless.jpg"/>
<image image="artrageimages\1_thesleepless.jpg"/>
</images>

4) Double click on MoozQuilt.HTML

I'd add this to my distribution, but today my FTP site doesn't seem to be letting me in.

Bet you wanna get drawing now, eh? :D

Mouse
04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
I have not been able to get the moozquilt code to work according to the instructions. It opens the web pages, and sits there waiting for the images to load, which never do.

Could you check your code.

MooMisterCow
04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
The HTML link above works for me both on my work machine (with Flash installed) and at home (without). On both, I use Firefox and have the latest flashplayer installed from Macromedia. I've also just tested it on IE6.

I also just downloaded the Zip file and ran the HTML directly from that with no trouble. And double-checked the paths in the XML file.

So I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Sorry.

maror
04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
:D thanks alot.... i will try that when i'm home and give you then a feedback!

greez

maror
04-14-2007, 03:35 AM
so i'm at home and i have made the zoomquilt with our works... and it work perfectly :D

cool programming work MMC

and you have commmeted it well.... a big advantage....

Maybe you can me get back on the project here....

greez

creARTo
05-05-2007, 12:25 AM
and whats the matter with the actually quilt?
is somebody working on a new pic?

creARTo
05-05-2007, 03:25 AM
maybe it starts again now ?

creARTo
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Hurrah!!!

The Zoom Quilt code is done! Well... as much as I can be bothered to do without getting some feedback.

Hello,

I think, the proportions are wrong in the flashvideo. The swf-file turns 1024x768 to a quadratic-sice. :-(
Is it possible to change this?

regards
Gerhard

MooMisterCow
05-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, I did ask for feedback I suppose.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the source pics are 1024x768, or that you are trying to set the Flash animation dimension to that? Also not sure what you mean by quadratic slice!

I think I have to encode the Flash dimensions when I compile it (due to laziness of trying to centre things). Also, I _think_ (but its been a few weeks so I forget) that currently it has to be the same X and Y dimensions (again through laziness). If you use the same dimensions as the example HTML then it should work.

Sorry can't be more specific but I don't have Flash at home so I can't check. Will try to remember to check it out when I'm back at work.

Anyway, glad to see someone at least attempting to use it! :D

creARTo
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Hello MooMisterCow

Thanx for your quik answer.

Well, what I mean is, the original pictures are 1 : 1,3333...
But in the flashanimation they looks like 1 : 1
So all things are high and slim, a circle turns to an egg.

ore did I anything wrong?

regards
Gerhard

PS: maybe I paint the next picture too.

KokopelliTheMuse
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi i was looking at this and it looks really cool and i was trying and it does work but at this address http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/zoomquilt/ pic number 9 is just a redo of pic number 8.

Thanks, Kokopelli

P.S. I might try and paint a picture.

creARTo
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
pic number 9 is just a redo of pic number 8.
P.S. I might try and paint a picture.

Hi Kokopelli

Pic number 8 was a mistake, because it is the "not finished" version of number 9.
Somewhere in this thread you can read it.

And: yes! lets push this zoomquilt up again ;-)

regards
Gerhard

MooMisterCow
05-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Thanks to creARTo's observations, there is now a new MoozQuilt.

This fixes the problem that I had not noticed before that the rectangular 1024x768 source images were being squished into a square, which meant that a circle in the image would be displayed as a vertical oval. It's quite a minor visual effect, but best fixed to lesten that "nightmare" quality. (Perhaps... :twisted: )

Unfortunately I can't seem to access my FTP site at the moment (which is just some free low-bandwidth rubbish I get with my broadband connection), so I can't publish it.

Does anyone have any spare webspace to host this? The main files are only about 150k, not including the images.

creARTo
05-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Thank you MooMisterCow

IT WORKS :-)

I was take your original zip-file and changed the swf-file in it.
This new version is now downloadable at:

http://www.crearto.de/download/MoozQuilt.zip

regards
Gerhard

KokopelliTheMuse
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I have downloaded the new one but it says it is curupted so you might try and host it a second time.

creARTo
05-10-2007, 06:59 AM
I have downloaded the new one but it says it is curupted so you might try and host it a second time.

Maybe it works like this:

i've made my own zoomquilt you can see at this link:

http://www.crearto.de/zoom/cave1.html

The swf-file you need to change is on this adress:

http://www.crearto.de/zoom/moozquilt.swf

regards
Gerhard

jacktar51
05-10-2007, 07:40 AM
creARTo......I have been to your link and tried the quilt you made....Congratulations on your zoomquilt creARTo. it is very colourful and works very well...well done to you and MMC for the code breaking stuff...Jack.

D Akey
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Awesome and disorienting. It sort of breaks down my normal containment as a human organism.

I felt like a single cell traveling through some imaginary prismatic organic passageway.

It's a different spin on that reel you linked to several months back that you put together. Seems like there's no area of art you won't jump into and do really well with. Very impressive.

MooMisterCow
05-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Very, very nice creARTo!

Reminds me of exploding galaxies, 2001-style. I can almost hear the accompanying soundtrack of that part of the film.

But, damn, now someone's bothered to publish a quilt, I'm going to have to sort out some of the things I gave up on last month, such as the BIG issue of why you get a strange pop-up effect in the distance. Absolute worst case, I'll overlay a small fuzzy blob in the centre to simulate some sort of fogging in the distance, but hopefully I can properly solve the problem.

Loads up Flash again...