PDA

View Full Version : easy clouds

Peter Pinckney
09-02-2008, 12:46 AM
OK it's sharing time folks..................here is how I do clouds in AR............I know this could not be done with real paint but here in digital world AR makes all things possible!:D:D:D:D

As you all know by now I have no formal art training ( just as my musical trade......I'm self-taught.............:))

So here goes...the first thing is to go and look at the sky.........I did a lot of looking and one day I realised what a cloud really is..........millions of water droplets with all the colours you see in a rainbow .........so I changed my ideas about painting them and you'll see from the screenshots there is always a hint of colour in them.

Anyway enough rambling prose : First open ArtRage HAHAHAHA!:D:D:D:D

Peter Pinckney
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Then these.............after resizing to your original size.........it's where it starts to get interesting.......you'll see from the settings that there is a hint of colour in the glitter settings...I also found that the circle shape gave the best results but you can try whatever shape you want...in fact it's good to because you'll discover other things I may have missed

Peter Pinckney
09-02-2008, 12:54 AM
onward and upward as they say

Peter Pinckney
09-02-2008, 12:58 AM
with the soft knife I make random soft movements covering the size of a shirt button with the pen.......................then in the last pic add whaterver you wish......I chose the sea naturally.............hope this helps anyone who wants to try it..................bye bye!:):):):):):):):):)

ScottF
09-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks for sharing, Peter! Ive managed get some reasonable clouds from time to time, but I never would have thought about using your approach. Very interesting.

Peter Pinckney
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Scott.............I must admit these were done very quickly I normally take more care and time.....it took more time to do the screenshots....I'm technically challenged and got into a hell of a mess with it all:D:D

misterpaint
09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
WOW! Very VERY VERY interesting!

weembaman
09-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the tips....I have to try that now....You make it look easy but I know better...:)

RobertSWade
09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Excellent tutorial Peter. I'm curious about one thing: What is the purpose of the resizing that you do?

Peter Pinckney
09-03-2008, 03:12 AM
MisterPaint.......weembaman........Thank you.............

@Robert Thank you and I resize because it's easier to get the results I want....I tried at normal size and.........YUK! :):):):)

Nickillus
09-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Good one Peter.

I have to admit that I dismissed the Glitter Tool originally as a bit of a gimmick for the kiddies. Because I'm pretty thick it took a while to realise what a versatile and useful tool it is to have around. I've been using it to add grot and texture to things by overlaying smeared layers of it at low opacity. This looks like another fine use for it though. Well discovered. It's one I'll definitely be trying out.

Thanks for sharing your find. Appreciated.

Nick

ginahobbit
09-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Peter, that has certainly opened my eyes to some things, I have been trying it out since last night and I have just posted my first attempt, thank you so much, great tutorial:):):)

Wingul
10-18-2008, 09:12 AM
i was so amazed of your technique, that i tried it, and than, i was so in progress, that i done a pic of it, it is my first real pic on artrage!
so please, give me critics and tips :)

thank you

Wingul
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
now i fixed it a bit... now i'm really enjoying it

Wingul
10-18-2008, 01:08 PM
one at night, but i think, something is missing, but what?!

Ole Seegelken
10-27-2008, 04:22 AM
this opens a whole new world of expression possibilities (for me) your tips are a pleasure to experiment with! thank you very much!

goldenrosa
12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
here's my wave of cloud with air brush and eraser
in condition that have background color , we can replace eraser with background's color airbrush
... just low pressure , high size , and many tight cross

screenpainter
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
I love this cloud tutorial. Excellent technique Peter. It is wonderful! :)

yellowhorde
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Thank you for posting this!! I'm a total noob at digital art and my first attempt making clouds following your tutorial was actually pretty good - not great, but not horrible.

I never knew clouds could be so easy. :)