PDA

View Full Version : Houses Where AP lived.

Aged P
07-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Based on Sweedie's theme with "reference free" memory driven sketches.
More impressionist then architectural, just what flowed from thoughts.

I am blessed or cursed with total recall from babyhood, although it's fading with age.
This picture was from a place somewhere in London during early 1941, I was abour 7-9 months old.
My mother held me up with great excitement to see the "Dog Fight"!
I don't think I'd even seen many real dogs by then.

Aged P
07-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I was walking by the time we moved here. We had the basement flat, down the steps past the milk bottle. At 4 I did the Giotto circle thing for relatives. My kind and loving Grandparents lived next door. Searching for shrapnel after a lively night was the hobby of the day.
We were frequently flooded and not just by rainwater. This really upset the myriad furry creatures who shared our flat. The cockroaches showed their usual stoicism! None of the windows closed so we had frost on the inside of the walls. Passed an exam at 11 which got me to a better school, a life long benefit. Loved Art, teacher never cared what I was painting, just encouraged. Got an apprenticeship at 16. A year later my father killed himself, yep just like Sweedie.
Started going out with this wonderful girl I'd met and was married and out of there at age 20. yep just like Fashmir.

After this things get much better! :D :D :D

jacktar51
07-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Phil.... You and I must be almost the same kind of age... I will be 64 in August next month........ I was picked up and taken outside,by my old grandma..... on one of the worst bombing nights of the war.........I cannot remember the exact words..... come and look.......See Coventry is Burning........ I couldnt see Coventry .. but I could see that red glow in the sky down by horizon....like just after the sun has gone down..... But the sun had long gone............Jack

Selby
07-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Aged P-thankyou for sharing these its an honour to be part of your history through your stories-It brings a sense of shared stories to me as my grandmother Rose used to tell me about London in the war but she was about 20 when it happened

Selby

sweeneymini
07-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Great paintings Aged P 8)
I havent seen chalk paintings on the pavement for donkies years

Its a shame, but my memory is really terrible :roll:
Though its good when I'm watching repeats of who dunnits :lol:

Fashmir
07-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Phil my friend this is fascinating. I'm too young to remember the war (not to mention I've never been to England). You and Jack are about my Dad's age. I'm 41 going on 12. :) Thanks for sharing this with us. I hope to see more.

ENCHANTER
07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that AP,

im not 'young' enough to know/remember these times youve painted,
but i can sure imagine since I live here and walking around parts of this country, and hearing the stories and looking at the sites, and of course remeber the school museum visits in London,

hope to see more of your 'memories'

Aged P
07-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Glad to have jogged a few memories, it's not a time I dwell on much.
Having now done a lot of Genealogy, I have to ruefully accept that somewhere up there in the sky was a distant relative! :roll:

Anyway, moving right along!
We moved into the rear of the flat that my wife and her mother had lived in. Built a seperate kitchen into the rebuilt glass lean to.
Bought our first car. 200!. Living arrangements were not a great success. Mortgaged my mother in law's house to raise a deposit, and then took out another mortgage on a flat in North London.

Aged P
07-24-2006, 12:39 AM
The flat was a style known as a maisonette in the UK. An upper and lower flat but with seperate front doors. It was expensive because of the extra bedroom built on the back. 7' x 7',feet not metres! Two mortgages meant virtual poverty, even with two salaries. One Hellish winter, one beautiful summer and one perfect baby later I got a promotional transfer and we hit the road again. Heading North to the Midlands

jacktar51
07-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Hello Phil...... Very Interesting drawings kind of surrealist in effect... you do seem to be into effects recently...........Following with interest Phil Keep it going...... regards ,.... Jack.

tony
07-24-2006, 03:04 AM
:) Hi Phil, thanks for sharing your early life and the wonders of England after the war espaicely when seeking accomodation. No wonder my parents went abroad.Look very much forward to the next series of events.
Thought of taking the same approach, but the thought of producing 23 different paintings is far too daunting. I know I'm lazy.
Regards,Tony :)

Aged P
07-24-2006, 03:47 AM
Hi Tony,
How about doing all your houses next to each other like a street? With a canal of course! :D

bleepnik
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Thank you for sharing these with us, Phil, both the paintings and the memories.

.g

Aged P
07-25-2006, 02:19 AM
The 3 Golden Years! A big pay rise and heated company housing at a peanuts rent. An ex -military base, unsightly but a haven of friendship, easy living and safety. Previous inhabitants had carved messages into the tar paper of the ouside walls, "Dave, Indiana", "Tex, USA", "Tomorrow we go!" Did a lot of drawing for training docs, plus board work. A highpoint of our lives, in a very ordinary hut.
After three years the company wanted us "out into the community to lead a normal life", it suited their rebuilding plans!
A rabble rouser who was running the Staff Association helped screw the last penny out of them in compensation, but I still had time to paint and draw!. Met up with Tony, another Forum member, about this time. Planned far distant retirement based on his Father-in-Law's paint and chill lifestyle..

Aged P
07-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Pete Seeger time! "Little boxes made of ticky tacky.." (Youngsters, go Google!)
Out in the community. Cheap construction caused problems, but you could remove a section of wall with a Padsaw.
Here we stayed, from one end of my daughter's education to the other. Went to painting lessons. Mother-in-Law arrived, and never went home again, not a great success. My daughter got married so after a couple of years, changes at work, a bit more money and a yen for some culture we headed back South to London.
(For those who are keeping up with the plot, we got her ensconced in a sheltered housing complex before we left!)

jacktar51
07-25-2006, 02:51 AM
the outcome, and the scheme of things...very intriguing and following this with enthusiasm......I like your little sketch type of paintings......slightly Lowryish...and informative... Imagination is a must..... Thanks for showing these little insights.....Jack.

Aged P
07-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Big, big change!! One of 2000 apartments in the heart of the Financial area of London. Tiny, but rising in price by 5 an hour!
Theatre, Gallery, Museum, Library, Concert Hall, restaurants, gardens, lakes, cinemas. Everything accessible by wheelchair, which now suited my wife. She had Polio at 7, as you age it bites again. 3 years of bliss, then new people moved in. A Flat is a Flat is a Flat! No matter how glitzy the surroundings, loud music at 3.am always wins!
Off house hunting again. Picked up a big pile of Estate Agent's brochures from the rear seat of the car and my back failed!
I was 47 and on a pension!
Off to the fringes of Middle Earth, the Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire border.

My picture doesn't do the place justice and I can't paint it all so try this link. http://www.rethinkfx.com/photos/barbican/barbican_2004.HTM

Selby
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
aged p-im really enjoying getting this glimpse...its like your showing us through your photo album

Selby

sweeneymini
07-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, this is cool Aged P. Its nice reading your narrative to the locations 8)

Aged P
07-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Big bungalow in a village full of millionaires. (I told you the London flat was appreciating in value!), but they still had money to spend, we didn't.

Mostly very, very quiet neighbours, see picture. :lol:
Sold paintings to raise cash. A totally awful thing to do! Joined two local Art Groups.

We got an equally perfect granddaughter, but daughter's marriage crumbling. Also mother -in- law having three new fatal illnesses a day.
They were all a hundred miles away and we were there most weekends. After 10 years we were off North again to save on the commuting!

Aged P
07-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Typical 1935 bungalow in a small village 1/4 mile from Daughter and Granddaughter. By some people's reckoning we are now in the North of England, the people across the road live in the Midlands. Woods and fields and things are a few yards away, very Tolkien. He lived about 2 miles away.

Not the seaside area we had once imagined but a good. place to live.
This is our third "final move", but it might well be the last.

(Set the garage up to do oil painting and bought a big desk to do drawings etc indoors. Then Tony brought my attention to ArtRage!!!) :roll:

The paintings are all rough and sketchy. Those that made an impression,seemed to have had a little more care.
It's been a great memory jogger! Try it, even if you don't post them.

ENCHANTER
07-26-2006, 06:59 AM
youre last two were beautiful places,

I used to live in Wolverhampton..actually i went to uni there.....for three years, the surround ing countryside was gorgeous in stark comparison to
the nearest city which is Birmingham, .hmm ive not lived in many places as you.......and the only picturesque place i lived near is the canal!

Aged P
07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi Enchanter,
We're about 1/2 an hour north of Wolverhampton, so it's the same countryside!

Assuming your canal is the Grand Union, I spent hours along there as a kid. My mum used to take us to the bit between Park Royal and Perivale on the bus.
Then we'd have to walk home to dry my brother out! :lol:

ENCHANTER
07-26-2006, 07:22 AM
:D Grand Union it still is, I live near it again,..My partner , she wants go fishing....her Dad use to teach her when she was younger....the bit we are going to go to is bbetween Hayes and Greenford..I think...so its about 5 min walk away........I know a bit of Perivale ,because i use to work there, near Bilton Road....an industrail estate near the 'hoover building' and I know a bit of Park Royal.... :D

sorry to other forum members for chatting like this

Aged P
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi Enchanter,
We can chat a bit, once it's said it's said, I'm never going to paint them again.
The first really c-----y flat is in Kensal Rise. Changed hands and been gentrified, worth about 3.5M. I assume it now has wall to wall floorboards! :lol:
Your partner probably knows Horsenden Hill too, that's where I used to fish. But only with a net. :lol: That was what inspired this pic.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=968&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120
I left the string off it in the final version and gave up trying to do an optically correct Stickleback!

The Bilton of Bilton Road was a guy who used to work with my granddad. He was always wanting to form a partnership and set up on their own.
My G didn't want to know, it was too risky and as a carpenter he was earning steady money. Percy Bilton went on his own and eventually retired to a Fruit farm which occupied a fair chunk of South Africa!
Doh!!!! :cry:

ENCHANTER
07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I know a bit of Kensal Rise, I go near there.....Crickle Wood to help out an After School Club for the children from the local area...Willesden and nearby.........

I do knows Horsenden Hill, :D im planning to use some of the views from there for a future painting....

hmmm.......we cant tell the future......if we could , we would all be rich :wink:

misisng out on a Fruit Farm in SA....Doh!! :)

Its amazing meeting an artist/person who a few weeks/months ago, I didnt know, who I thought lived in the same country but miles away, but didnt realise some of your roots were nearby, .......it is a small world!

Aged P
07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Sweedie,

It was both of them.
Pete Seeger was the most well known version here.
The song is even more true now.

Dirty Old Town was what it was. But now I can complain about deer wandering across the road, :lol:, so it turned out pretty good!
Some of your story was similar, but you ended up in the Fisherman's cottage. Enjoy it!

(Thanks for starting this thread, now we must lean on "Tony".
28 houses! )

Selby
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
thanks AgedP- this was great..i love to hear peoples stories..its one of my most favourite things :)

Selby

cym
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Phil, loved the walk thru this gallery of your homes. Its interesting and charming. I'm not sure I have the ambition, but one never knows.
Sweedie, I know the Seeger Sessions CD very well. I've seen Bruce in concert, but sadly missed the Seeger Sessions concert recently here in Michigan. (no money, and the grandbean's dance recital on the same evening :::sigh:::)

thesleepless
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
wow, you've lived in a lot of places... i've lived in the one place all my life

Fashmir
07-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Phil, I can't explain to anyone what it means to me to be a part of this forum and get to know all of you wonderful people from so far away. It really fills my cup.

florida girl
10-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks For Posting this Aged P,
You have shared something very precious here.
There is a saying: What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger...
You & your wife have taken what life has given you & made it sweeter, together. You've built a life, a family, lasting friendships.
With Polio Syndrome, I understand, it saps your stamina, physically & mentally as well. Having to rest for 2-3 days just to have the strength to do one day of work... We had a friend that endured that too.
Yet, Even with all of life's hardships, Life is still a gift to those that will live it. You have learned That secret.

Kind Regards,
Florida Girl

Aged P
12-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Picture no 3, 133.jpg just got hit by a tornado in the centre of London!

Glad we moved!

Phil

ENCHANTER
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey Phil, saw the aftermath on the news.....I just hope my friends house is ok, shes on hols at the moment, and her house is in Kensal Rise/Green
:shock:

Selby
12-09-2006, 07:52 AM
goodness AgedP im glad you moved too :D ...I saw the wreckage the tornado left behind on the news and it was a huge mess.

Selby

Alexandra
09-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Thank you so much Phil for pointing me in this direction. When I joined in '06 we had a tragedy with my crew-so I was unable to attend the forum. Now, being active for a year and playing catch up. Missed so much of the stories and the wonderful personalities here.
Bless you dear man, and thank you so much for sharing your personal story here. I hope you continue to bless us with your artwork and history.