PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Breath

pai
08-17-2008, 05:26 AM
...that stay forever...

Use only oil. Hope you like it.

D Akey
08-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Oh, Pai. It's gorgeous!!!! Really fantastic. :):):):):):):)

Along with the rest, those whites and the dress are fantastic. And the figure is perfect.

Rowena
08-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Delightful, beautiful, and gracious...just like you are Pai :)

damasocl
08-17-2008, 06:28 AM
La expresión del rostro de la bailarina, el movimiento del cuerpo, la tela de su vestido, el tono de la piel, ... ¡todo está realmente muy bien realizado!
Pocas veces una obra al óleo me había gustando tanto.

The expression of the face of the ballerina, the movement of the body, the cloth of his garment, the tone of the skin... everything is really very well realized, very well done!
Seldom an oil work I was pleasing so much. (or: pleasing me so much).;):D:)

Jim Walsh
08-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Beautiful dance and painting

Fashmir
08-17-2008, 07:02 AM
pai- You are shining in two arts today. Both the oil brush and the dance. As D Akey points out the whites in the dress are so well done. When white contains color it is a truer white.

Storm
08-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Whoa, really nice work here pai and very professional. Excellent piece. :)

sabena
08-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Pai. The painting is beautiful. I love the painting, thank you for your work

ENCHANTER
08-17-2008, 10:46 AM
take deep breath.......
wow.wow....amazing.so thats where youve been for the last week?

:D
more please

ScottF
08-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Like it? I love it! This is incredibly well-conceived. You just keep getting better and better. (You weren´t bad before. :p)

RobertSWade
08-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I looked. I gasped. I gulped. The phrase "the Old Masters" jumped to mind.

This is almost perfect in form and the lighting is just amazing!

Like your other most recent works, it's also a little disturbing in that she seems to take no pride in her beauty. Her face belies the joy of her body to the point where it seems that she is going through the motions for the sake of someone else and is just waiting for the end of the "dance" when she can go back to her dressing room and take off the mask that all too well fits her feelings and replace it with the mask that she wears everyday.

ginahobbit
08-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Simply fantastic Pai, what a gift you have:)

fraser_paice
08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Ahhh... that is just so good... I'm speechless...............

Rain11
08-18-2008, 02:27 AM
This is truly amazing and beautiful work Pai! And just like my other half up there said VERY professional looking! Beautiful!!!:):):)

Rick
08-18-2008, 03:48 AM
I believe this is the best I have seen on this forum.. Perfect in every way..:)

Mairzie Dotes
08-18-2008, 05:55 AM
pai,
This is, without a doubt one of your best. Just beautiful. You have captured
the expressive pose of a dancer in breathtaking detail. Wonderful! :)

nightjar
08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
this is lovely especially the dress truly realistic.
dave.

Peter Pinckney
08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Beautifully realized Pai...........if I could do this (the painting not the dance :)) I would be truly happy!
WONDERFUL!:):):):):):)

pai
08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much to D Akey, Rowena, damasocl, Jim, Fashmir, Storm, sabena, Enchanter, Scott, Robert, Gina, fraser_paice, Rain, Rick, Mairzie, Dave and Peter for all the nice comments and encouraging words. Also to others who had commented on my last few paintings. I just felt bad as Scott has mentioned before, to bring up my thread to the top. Now, there're so many more new members and new paintings per day. :)

@Bob, your recent comments are very deep especially the King Lear one. I am fine. Thank you. :)

Please forgive me I am not a person good with words. I found it more difficult than learning to paint. So it's quite harder to express my appreciation to you all with words especially in English. :o

So instead I try to paint more and post more as I can.
(p.s. whew! this took me almost 2 hours to write it, the same time I have at weeknight to do my doodling)

Actually I don't have much time for painting now. That's a very sad part for me. I really wish I could stay home all day just to paint and learn more. I can only do some doodling and sketches during weekdays for practising and relaxing which I need it so badly. This one start as a sketch on Thursday night after work as usual. Then I just can "feel" it, then I was thinking about it the whole day at work on Friday, when I got home the minute, I just want to finish it. Took about 8 to 10 hours.
I have a bad habit if I start off something I really like, I will just continue to work on it until it finish. But because of my health problem, I couldn't just have few hours sleep before go to work now. (I used to do that)

Try to paint the moment of a performer on stage that she feels is just her alone enjoying the movement of the body with music, her heart beat and her own breathing. She sees no audience at that moment. Just dancing for herself to the best as she could. Especially I like this pose, with her hands up high, arches her back, head up. Then the title just comes up. This is in my mind when I painted her.

I have hard time with the arms and fingers because the references photo is black and white and very blur. That's frustrated too. However, my recent hands sketches exercises kind of help a little bit.

The hand and arms is bothering me, so I tried to fix it. But don't know if it's worse than before.

RobertSWade
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
To be honest, the arm did bother me a bit. I think it's much better now. :)

screenpainter
08-19-2008, 02:07 AM
Beautiful Pai. :)

speggie
08-19-2008, 04:45 AM
stunning stuff pai ...10hrs or so well spent indeed .........:):):):)

maror
08-19-2008, 04:50 AM
:eek:...just brilliant!

nice flow...

greez maror

D Akey
08-19-2008, 05:28 AM
I just felt bad as Scott has mentioned before, to bring up my thread to the top. Now, there're so many more new members and new paintings per day. :)

I personally think that's pretty unnecessary to overlay shame onto painting well and getting responses to one's excellent work.

It's twisted logic to think that hiding one's light under a basket is somehow being polite. Tends to keep everyone thinking that unskilled work is what we should be aiming at in fairness to beginners. I think showing skill is a way to lift everyone by showing what we can aspire to.

It's better to both show people what is possible and tell them how to get there. And thus we can all rise.

Please do not buy into that mindset Pai. You have too much to offer.

And I think Scott also fell victim to that notion that has been passed around here for a bit too long in my opinion.

Nika
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Absolutely beautiful painting.:)

pai
08-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Thank you Bob, GZ, speggie, maror, D Akey and Nika for liking this painting. There are still lots of spots I found was painted incorrectly. I still want to fix the arm again. :D

@D Akey, I kind of understood what you are saying and the explanation. It's just I don't think mine is that correctly painted compare to those professional painters. Sometimes I don't understand some terms in art everyone mentioned here. I learn by "looking" lots of painting here for many many times and I don't know how to ask appropriate questions regarding painting techniques. So, mostly is trial and erros a lot. Hope this explain my learning method. Thanks. :)

dismagartist
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
This entire thread is a pleasure to read. There are so many wonderful comments and a feeling of support here. Your art is beautiful Pai.

LogicsHere
08-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Aboslutely stunning!

Wiljam
08-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Yes we like it for sure. Uplifting and compositionally strong. Makes you think as well. Wm

...that stay forever...

Use only oil. Hope you like it.

silvercat
08-21-2008, 06:17 AM
I totally agree with Dismagartist.. this is a thread that represents what I love about this forum. A wonderful work of art, the constructive critique and appreciation of the members, and the feeling that we are all on the same "road", learning, enjoying to paint, and sharing our experiences. I am still such a beginner and also new to the forum, so I hope you don't understand me wrong when I talk like this.. it is just that I am already beginning to feel a bit part of this atmosphere, and that although I am far away from being as good as you are, Pai!!! Your painting is absolutely amazing, making me dream both of dancing and of learning to paint like that..capturing such a movement and mood is wonderful!

pai
08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
You all nice mates are going to make me cry....haha. And hi dismagartist, LogicsHere, Wiljam and silvercat, thank you for all your words. :) The only think I can think of to thanks all of you is to paint and learn better as much as I can and share with you all.

Truly I am also at early stage in the art journey, I still cannot remember how and what setting I did while I paint. I keep forgetting things, I think I really operate by feeling mode and it drives me big time when I paint. So, I have to keep doing them again and again and so many many times...haha.

Again, thanks. :)

heikki
08-21-2008, 06:59 AM
:)

MoHei Pai.

Great and beautifull work. :)

Belvrog
08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Fantastic painting. The dress and the way the fabric is behaving is compelling. Great moment you've perfectly painted her body tension and made her look so elegant at the same time.

Dany51
08-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I just discover now your ballerina, is a beautiful painting in an old mastery style, gracious and aspiring to the sky.
I am sorry that I can't spend more time to see what other people do and wright comments but is sure that I appreciate all your paintings , you are a painter and an Artiste, what do you understand by "professional painters"?
Just keep going, don't worry about definitions, worry about ART.:):):)

Khalid_ipda
08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Pai...its very nice, smooth movement and action. You have shown it through you painting.

Selby
08-22-2008, 10:24 AM
beautiful Pai:)feels to me like you caught her in an unguarded moment completly absorbed in dance.

Selby

pai
08-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Thank you so much Heikki, Belvrog, Dany, Khalid and Selby for looking in and the kind words. I'm glad you like it. :)

Drayldan
10-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Hello Pai,

Congratulations on your wonderful oil image named "A moment of breath" ! I still admire it. You wrote you only used oil technique to create your picture so you really know how to do it right and have truly artistic approach.
As for me I'm trying to became better, but for now I have not enough skill or patience to paint like you. (my not very good work is here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=12082 (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12082)
But I'm also would like to ask you about something:
could you give me (much or less as you remember) some details on what settings you used while creating your artwork in Artrage (Pressure, Thinners, Loading, etc.) and how long did it take you to finish? Did you use custom color pallette instead of default one in AR??

OK, many thanks in advance for your help and comments.
regards,
Michal

Caesar
10-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Incredible that I lost such a masterpiece so far! You worked divinely on these!

Lee
10-03-2008, 04:27 AM
Dear Pai, don't know how i missed this beautiful painting, you made her become part of the air around her! wonderful!!!!!

Mairzie Dotes
10-03-2008, 05:09 AM
pai,
She dances as if she were a soft breeze, delicate and free.
Just beautiful, creative and one of your best, by far, paintings. :)

pai
10-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks Drayldan, Caesar, Lee and Mairzie for dropping by and the kind words. :):)

@Hi Drayldan, you made me embrassed. :o there are more expertise members here which have terrific oil techniques, they will happy to provide you the help you need. I'm still learning how to control it not very good. As for the settings, I don't have a default one. All my paintings are used differently, mostly based on how feel of the painting and the I want the subject. But now I mostly start from very thin oil with high thinner like 90%, pressure 100%, loading 95% to 100% to do the sketch. Then I adjust these setting to by lower the thinner and increase the loading gradually. Final touch, I will use no thinner, with brush side 1% to do the edge and then use the palette knife. I hope it helps. But truly, I am not that good of it.

hanzz
10-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Pai, Pai ,Pai,
You never stop amazing me.
You've created an ArtRage Masterpiece !

Very nice to keep looking at.

ginahobbit
10-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, what a stunning piece of work Pai, it conveys such feeling, brilliant:)

waheednasir
10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
wonderful work pai, i esp like the mood that it portrays...:).

dadicrunch
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
stunning dynamisn, movement and lights...

Ms. Pai, I leave my hat and bow to your art

Pedro

dali
10-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Beautiful Pai, very gorgeous painting!

pai
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Hanzz, Gina, waheednasir, dadicrunch and dali. Really thankful for all your kind words and liking this piece. :):)

Levent Suberk
02-08-2009, 04:42 AM
I missed this one, perfect painting dear Pai, congratulations goes to you.

pai
02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Levent, you are so kind. Thanks for liking it. :)

yellowhorde
02-12-2009, 03:14 PM
That is FANTASTIC!

SHAP00PI
02-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I feel like I'm in the scene, feeling the air move as she moves by.. brilliant.

flyashy
05-30-2009, 02:25 AM
That is wonderful!!
I've been trying to do oils since I always wanted to paint with oils and could never do, now with ArtRage I can.
I'm impressed with your technique!!
Marvelous!

irishrose
05-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Pai, where have I been!!! An elegant performance! I stand in awe and clap!!!! Leaves me breathless!

coops
05-30-2009, 02:52 AM
I too missed this one Pai but thanks to Irishrose I have now seen the most stunning painting. I love it, its as though you can see her breath if you just look for a second. Great Great work.

fraser_paice
05-30-2009, 03:47 AM
I saw this first time around and it still leaves me in awe... Between you and me Pai... Whenever I show someone Artrage for the first time, I show them this painting, just to prove what can be done by someone with exceptional talent...

yvan_c
05-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Absolutely stunning painting pai!:) Love it.:D

Lima
05-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Outstanding in all aspects... hues, contrast, movement, volume, expression. Congratulations.:):):)

EvaBridget
06-09-2009, 08:19 AM
This is just sooo beautiful!
So well done - every brushstroke is exactly where it should be!

weembaman
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I missed this before but it is Excellent..WOW....Very well done..:):)

pai
06-10-2009, 03:00 AM
Really thankful to all who looking into this piece. Actually it's quite old and not painting that good. Glad you all like and thanks for spending time to leave such nice comments. :):):)

irishrose
06-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Pai, it deserves a second, third, or even fourth view! It's gorgeous... why don't you think it's a good painting? Many of us think it's awesome!

And hope you'll still write me here on AR. FB was just too much for me, thank you for passing message to get to me. I miss you too and pray all is well.

byroncallas
06-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Pai,

This is my first time viewing this older thread, and it's an astonishing winner. The painting is lovely. The many suportive and instructive exchanges are representative of what makes this forum such a great place. It's an inspiring thread addressing a wonderful painting by a group of people who exude good will, good intentions and cooperation. I'm happy the thread was pulled up again and that I've had a chance to be a small part of it.

The painting really is lovely. Meanwhile, it's been a great pleasure reviewing your many fine paintings since I joined the forum in February. Your paintings and threads have been a continuous inspiration.

Be well and all the best.
Byron

Sammy
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
this is a fine art piece. I can see the soul you put into it.

Silentman
12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
They are very very beautiful, rich in well balanced colour, beautiful grain, it's looks like a real painting scanned on a high quality scanner, it just looks so amazing. You are a very talented painter indeed :)

5 36913

Judith Tramayne
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm in love with the folds, colors and how the dress flows Superb!

Judith

pai
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
oh..my...this is very old piece and i didn't know how i did that. very impulse one.:o Thanks so much to Rose, Bryon, Sammy, Silentman and Judith for all those kind words about this piece. again, many many thanks to all who like this piece.

chambersecrets
05-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Gorgeous!! amazing technique, such a wonderful painting.

mfasy
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
dancer. I love the flow and movement you can feel in your painting. Perfect for a dancer.

bopaweena
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Wow....I'm in awe.
Beautiful and delicate painting, Pai!! :):):):):)

Nickillus
02-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi Pai,

'Tis a lovely piece indeed. Great pose and the slightly cool palette works really well. Superbly lit too. Do you have any more like this sneaking through your pipeline young lady? Do please show them if so . . . We insist.

pai
02-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much again to chambersecrets, mfasy, bopaweena and Nickillus for looking into this old piece and all wonderful comments.

I am slowly picking up the painting again and drawing at the same time. During this time, I used pencil to draw figures and I like it very much. I have forgotten lots of stickers setup that I need time to picking up all the technical skills again but I hasn't leave art for a day. I still look into the forum from time to time. Learning some photo/art editing at the same time as that doesn't require my eyes so focused as I am still new to do that. I will post soon. Again, thanks to all :) :) :)

Caesar
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Best wishes for the widest and faster recovery, dear and sweet Pai! :)
Your masterpieces always reached and were kept in our hearts.

byroncallas
03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Pulling this lovely work back up to the top as a way of welcoming Pai back. It remains a beautiful piece of work, yes?

limey-g
03-11-2013, 04:05 AM
A wonderful piece of work and certainly well worth bringing it back for everyone to see.
Geoff

BladeSpawn
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!

Marilyn Anne
06-18-2013, 06:39 AM
The pose the drape of the fabric .....all well done!

Strandy
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I remember this painting as one of those that definitely convinced me to ArtRage. It's nice moment to see it again.

pai
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks again to Caesar, Bryon, Geoff, BladeSpawn, Marilyn and Strandy again for liking it and very appreciated all your kind words. It's a very old piece.

MKROOT
01-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Excellent work ;)

Victor Osaka
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Super! The fabric folds are lit so well. Beautiful.

byroncallas
07-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Another great offering from Pai.