PDA

View Full Version : My First ArtRage Pastel

MacMs
07-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Here I am again, with another new piece (number 3!), in yet another medium—can you tell that I have become a total ArtRage addict?

I used much the same basic technique on this "pastel" as I did on its "Prismacolor" and "oil" predecessors:

Starting with a photo I'd shot, I first loosely traced the elements that I wanted to retain from the photo, just to establish their placement; then after setting up a base palette comprised of a few colors pulled from the original tracing image (to which I continued adding colors of my own as my work proceeded), I made the tracing image transparent (I didn't want to actually delete it at that point, just in case I happened to make a major goof, or needed to pull another color from it).

I next brought the same photo into ArtRage for reference, and blocked in my foundation colors, after which I added a new layer for beginning to bring up the degree of detail in the image overall. From that point, I continued to add (and merge) layers as seemed appropriate, ultimately merging all into a single layer. (I got rid of the reference photo fairly early in the detailing process, so that I wouldn't get too tied to it.)

Because, in the natural media realm, I tend to handle paint almost as if I were drawing with my brushes rather than painting with them, I've always thought pastels could be a good medium for me, but my opportunities to work with "the real thing" have been limited. How cool, that, with ArtRage, I now have a virtually unlimited range of colors, in virtually unlimited quantities, to experiment with!

maror
07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
your great pitcure show really good what a powerful software artrage is! and also how fast to learn...

excellent...

greez maror

PS: i think i should try to use artrage out in the real nature (tablet pc)

emremeydan
07-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Wow, impressive!

emre

ENCHANTER
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
the depth and haze of this painting are wonderful ! :D

how about some wip pics please ?

Aged P
07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Superb!
Great depth and really beautiful.

(Also no dust, and you didn't have a $3 pastel fall out of its wrapper like colored sugar!)

AndyRage
07-17-2006, 09:30 AM
This is really excellent. The detail and depth is fantastic.
Great stuff!

MacMs
07-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks to you all for the compliments!

I may not yet be entirely comfortable working with a graphics tablet, but even that can't take away from the enjoyment I'm getting out of creating in ArtRage—and when others like what I'm coming up with, that's like the icing on the cake!

drzeller
07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Fantastic, MacMs. This piece has a wonderful feel.

D.

emremeydan
07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
About your uncomfortability with the tablet... One of the things i found disturbing was the slippery surface. If you find that disturbing too, the solution is easy, just tape a piece of paper over the tablet. You'll get more friction and a paper-like feel.

emre

tony
07-19-2006, 12:35 AM
:) Wow that is a beautiful pastel landscape.You can almost smell the freshair and the scent of the flowers.A real nice piece of artwork.Regards,Tony :)

Aged P
07-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi,
Some pens have interchangeable nibs to give a different feel.

Prawnsushi
07-19-2006, 12:42 AM
This is amazing :shock:

i love the fog in the background, it gives a sad mood to the picture, and those colors are really great ^^ Please post your palette :p

bleepnik
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Erm. Wow. And stuff. Another master has joined our little (well ok, not so little anymore) family. This piece is gorgeous.

.g

MacMs
07-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Emre: With each passing day I'm getting more comfortable using my tablet, but I do like your suggestion that I tape a piece of paper over my tablet for a more natural feel, and plan to give it a try; any recommendations as to the weight and texture of the paper I ought to use?

Aged P: If only one of those nibs were a flexible brush tip (like those that come on dual-point markers), hm? I'm actually fine with the standard nib for drawing, but it'd sure be nice to have the "smooshable" feel of a brush for painting.

Prawnsushi: I'd love to post my palette for you; do you know where I might find some instructions on how to do that?

emremeydan
07-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Well, the weight and the texture is up to you. Try various types of paper to see what you like best. You don't need to worry about the paper making the tablet less sensitive, because it's the pen nib that senses the pressure, not the tablet surface.

emre

Aged P
07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
Hi MacMs,
The nib I use has a small spring halfway down, which makes it quite different. Fashmir uses the same type.

MacMs
08-08-2006, 05:14 AM
AgedP: Would the sort of pen/nib combo you use with your Intuous be compatible with my less-sensitive Graphire? Is the nib original to the pen that came with your tablet, or did you purchase it (by itself, or with a new pen)?

D Akey
08-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Really first rate!

Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired.

I have a question about the sky. Did you tone your paper grey first and work light over it? It looks light over mid value. Or did that look come about from using pastel for everything and just working it up?

The variation in the sky makes an otherwise flat area very interesting and dimensional.

Nice effect. :D

MacMs
08-18-2006, 02:05 AM
D Akey: Good guess! Yes, I did use a toned paper–as you surmised, a middle value; the color is a bit tough to describe, but I guess I'd call it a warm rosey-grey, or maybe a greyed terra cotta with rosey overtones.

D Akey
08-18-2006, 03:41 AM
For prawnsishi amd MacMs

re: how to upload a palette.

I did a little run through of how to load a picture as a palette (see link below).

Essentially, MacMs has already uploaded a palette by simply posting the image.

One can just sample from the picture once it's in. One can also easily do variations of each color on the fly.

It's pretty handy the way they've designed it.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1779