PDA

View Full Version : My First ArtRage Painting

MacMs
07-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi, and many thanks to all of you who took the time to view and comment on "My First ArtRage Drawing."

After posting that piece, I could hardly wait to get started on anotheróworking with a tablet may give me fits from time to time, but not enough to stop me: I just love this program!

Anyway: for my second ArtRage piece, I thought I'd try my hand at a painting, and this landscape (treescape) is the result of a couple of days' experimentation with the paintbrush, roller, and chalk tools.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the tree (which is a kind of pine), but then it must be said that, even using traditional tools and media, I've always had difficulty capturing the texture of this particular type of tree. (It's like some sort of obstacle I feel compelled to keep taking runs at, until I finally make it over!)

Original image size: 1024 x768 pixels
Hardware: 2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, Wacom Graphire 3

Stephen Lo Piano
07-15-2006, 02:13 PM
This painting treescape is very good. You have an excellent ability to create photorealism. With natural media I would take a guess that you have done still life and landscapes?

Isn't it amazing how digital computer art removes many of the annoying problems of working with natural media.
The only problem is that you have none of the substance that you have with a natural media painting. You cannot walk up to a computer image and feel the paint and canvas, instead you get ink on paper. Of course the same results will occur when working with natural media ink on paper.

AndyRage
07-15-2006, 03:24 PM
That tree is fantastic! Good grief - the level of depth, shading, highlighting, detail - it's phenomenal!
If that's a painting you're *not* happy with, I expect a painting you *are* happy with will just make me fall off my chair weeping at the passion and artistry. Because that one sure comes close!

florida girl
07-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi MacMs, Welcome!
What Talent! Your choice of colors & attention to detail is superb!
Beautiful scenery! Fox Hunt Anyone?

maror
07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
:shock: Holy crap!

very well done! i think you can be very satisfied!
hope to see alot more....!

greez

ENCHANTER
07-15-2006, 09:29 PM
WOW!

I hope to get to this level of depth, lighting and detail in my landscapes,

wonderful painting!

:D

bleepnik
07-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Heh. MacMs, I thought you'd posted your reference photo and forgot to post the actual painting. D'oh! Fabulous work. Just amazing.

.g

ingie01
07-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Thanks for sharing. You and many others and I mean MANY help make this forum one of the best. I've checked out many and the support both by ambientdesign and the forum members is memorable.

Aged P
07-16-2006, 03:57 AM
I think I could walk across to that tree.
That's about as good as it gets in my book.
Superb!!

emremeydan
07-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Great job!

emre

drzeller
07-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Wow, I really like this. It has a certain crispness and snap to the image. Very nice.

D.

faizman
07-18-2006, 05:36 AM
man what r u not satisfied with, its excellent :)

MacMs
07-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks to all of you for the lovely comments!

A couple of special asides:

To Stephen Lo Piano: In the natural media realm, I've always tended to work in a realistic vein; I'm one of those people who actually enjoys doing picky detail, so I've always had a particular fondness for still life, especially of the trompe l'oeil variety. As for landscapes, they've always intimidated me a bitóprobably because my fondness for detail work leaves me inclined to sometimes overwork them.

To Sweedie: I appreciate the warm welcome! I want you to know that you've been a real source of inspiration to me as I've been exploring what I can do in ArtRage: before tackling anything more ambitious than a simple page of practice strokes, I went all through these forums to check out what others were doing with the program, and I was very much impressed by the examples of your work which I found posted here.

PVIllustration
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
that is a really sweet painting, and congrats on the frontpage showing :)

I know I would be very much interested in seeing some progress images if you have any...?

heikki
07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
:)

Nice and fine painting.

:)

tony
07-18-2006, 11:10 PM
:) Hi Heikki, your first ArtRage painting is simply great and beautiful to look at. The tree looks real enough to me as does the rest of this wonderful landscape.Wow and keep them coming.Regards,Tony :shock: :)

MacMs
07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
PVIllustration: Here's a "How I Did It" for you; sorry I hadn't any more of the intermediate steps to include, but I have a tendency to not save as often as I should along the way, when I'm really engrossed in what I'm doing (a habit which I've had cause to regret more than once!).

ENCHANTER
07-27-2006, 05:18 AM
your tutorial is so neat and tidy, very organised!

thanks for that,

:D

sahal
07-27-2006, 05:32 AM
nice tutorial DUDE... congrats on the front page 8)

screenpainter
08-19-2011, 10:14 PM
what a beauty.