PDA

View Full Version : Free tutorial

Nickillus
07-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi guys.
I've just added a first downloadable tutorial to my website, and it's about some of the basic operations in ArtRage. It's far from perfect, being my first stab, but hopefully I'll improve and the next will be better.
It comes in at about 9.8mb, so be patient about loading times etc, please. And that's only at lo-res. Feedback about whether it's legible, or makes any sense would be welcomed.

http://nickillus.co.uk/page9.html

irishrose
07-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Nick, this is AWESOME!! though I still don't understand much about the program and layering, you have helped me understand a lot more than I didn't grasp before. You did wonderful.. great pic too! Hope you get an award! :)

Fashmir
07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Right on Nick! I'm always impressed with your illustrations. Thanks for sharing your insights.

quickdraw
07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
thanks Nick....have been using artrage a while...and I learnt a lot from your tutorial.....well laind out, too

vincevancough
07-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. :)

Nickillus
07-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Hey thanks for the encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

Rowena
07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Nick, I just spent the whole afternoon pouring over your tutorial that you put in AR...

I have learned so much - it was such a treat! I never before understood how useful those stencils could be, and those tips about layering are so helpful.

thank you so much

PS: one puzzlement remains... you stated you use the airbrush a lot - and I just wish I knew how to use that tool! I cant get it to blend, or apply it without blotches or do anything at all with it!

I know how busy you are so I wont hold out... but if you find the time to offer some tips about the airbrush tool I would be most grateful.

Thanks ever so much for that lovely tut - it is such an inspiration!

Best wishes,
Rowena,

Nickillus
07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey there Rowena,
Thank you so much for such a friendly appraisal of the tutorial. I have to admit that the airbrush isn't my favourite tool to use either. My use of it is more to smooth blends after I've blocked them in with one of the other tools, like the paintbrush for example. So in essence I use it after the event as a sort of touch up tool. The danger is if you you it too much you can lose some of the contrasting textural bits and hard edges. It can all become a bit smooth and samey.

Did that make any sense at all? Probably not. Just quiz me more if it didn't and I'll attempt English next time. I'll also try and do a simple visual example to explain what I'm trying to get at.

Best.
Nick

Rowena
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll also try and do a simple visual example to explain what I'm trying to get at.

Ooooh, this would be grand - visuals are always the best IMO, thanks :D

Nickillus
07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Hi Rowena,
Right I had a quick daub to try and explain what I mean. Hope it helps.

I put down two colours next to each other
a)with the paintbrush (top ones) and
b)with the chalk (bottom ones)

I'm not much good with thick paint so the brush setting for the brush is quite 'thinned'.
1 - I've sampled the two colours and used the airbrush to try and soften the blend a bit. It's OK but not great. You can see it untampered with in the lower half.

2 - I've worked into it a bit more using both the airbrush and palette knife tool. In addition, you'll notice that in example 1. the colours are a bit lifeless. I sampled the colour from the blend and then without changing the tonal value, picked those two colours (remembering that blue and yellow together can kind of make green) showing as spots above and added them in. It just adds a bit more zing, but sort of works because the tones do.
Norman Rockwell the famous illustrator used to say that if you can get the tones right in an image, you can more or less paint things whatever colour you want and it will still read OK. He was an absolute master, so I tend to believe him, even if I'm not capable of it myself.

3 - Just shows how you can get a reasonable blend in the chalk and keep the texture, by working with lowish loading and building it up slowly.

4 - If you try and use the airbrush or palette knife on it you lose that textural integrity, but get some interesting directional blending instead. Can be a useful 'special effect' sometimes.

Rowena
07-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Cool...thanks :D

I had a little try with this fig... and am so happy to find the airbrush tool to be so valuable - I literally never used it before, so thanks most kindly...for this excellent tip!!!

P.S: I was just wondering... did Norman Rockwell mean tonal/modeling when he said 'if you get the tones right..' In other words are you saying that the modeling/blending is the most NB?
I usually think of tones as opposed to tints - or light versus darks - and wondered if he was refering to the base notes of a painting or the 3D modeling?

Just checking, 'caus its interesting to me ;)

Nickillus
07-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Looks like you ought to be the one doing the tutorials Rowena. Nice blending.

The way I read the Rockwell quote was that if you were to turn the image into a black and white version, it would work. So by tone I suppose he meant value.
If there's anyone who can explain this in proper technical terms , do please lob you voice in any time soon. I'm about as 'untechy' as they come, which isn't awfully helpful when explaining stuff - or attempting to, teehee.

clay_baxter
09-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Hi Nick, I have just visited your site to grab the tutorial, and had a peek at some of what you have done, in about three days when my jaw finally leaves the ground Ill tell everyone I meet to come and look.
FANTASTIC

Caesar
09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Dear Nick, I would thank You immensely for such a fantastic tutorial!
It's not really for speedy painting, but is absolutely rich of any fundamental explanation on many useful features, some of which I sort of discovered, others, like layers blending modes or stencils I wrongly negliged because they looked as an excessive departure from physical painting.
In fact my initial idea to buy Art Rage was to make experimental sketches in view of subsequent real painting.
I really apologise for having been so short-minded so far (also because many other SW were unnatural and complex enough to use to take away all the funny and relaxing power painting has).

dali
09-17-2008, 09:29 PM
This was a fantastic tutorial. I will have to play more with the blending modes. I had no idea you could do the things you did. Bravo!