PDA

View Full Version : Ode to Jack - Marina del Rey

Taron
07-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Jack,

today I went on a little beachtrip with my sweety and my brand new $109 HD camera (can you believe it? 109 bucks for a decent HD video camera). After having shot a whole bunch of really neat clips of waves I decided to paint a snapshot. It's fairly close to the photo reference, but still pretty loose, too.

I believe I will try to explore what I've learned there and make a wild one without reference, but the mild color differences are so tough to hit. Even this one is very off in regards to colors and temperatures. I didn't pick colors, because I had only a quicktime on pause to use (just my laziness).

Anyway, this is for you, Jack!

exteecha
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Great image! So smooth. You sure get some High tech bargains (States?) I've just got myself a 5 megapixel phone for photographing skys, water etc. to keep as references for my pictures.

Taron
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Yup, Los Angeles (Marina del Rey for this one). Well, the wonders of externalized costs allow for some amazing bargains. Obviously elsewhere in the world someone is pulling his hairs for producing that stuff without proper compensation and sure enough, we all have to pay with a bit of our health to make this possible, but - yehah - HD....CHEAP.... lol. :rolleyes:

Well, it's the first "real" ocean painting I've ever attempted, so it's still rather rough, but I found some good techniques to get smooth gradients and transitions only with using oil again. Not that I havn't done a million different techniques, but I always seem to forget what I did last, hehe.

In this case I mostly stayed with insta-dry off, actually, but varried the thinner dramatically as well as the loading. The real key, however, is patience and a soft stroke. I noticed that the number one killer of smoothness is hectic! So it's best to chill and take it very soft and easy to mildly carress the paint from here to there, so to say. Ironically I did a bunch of violent giant strokes to change brightness levels from one side to the other, particularely in the sky of course. But, again, patience and calm is what really makes soft area blends under control.

Khalid_ipda
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow....great image, Taron. Wonderful wave fall on the beach.

vincevancough
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Wonderful seascape. :)

ginahobbit
07-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Awesome seascape, this is truly excellent work:)

Taron
07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you so much already! I'm having a little update, though. I'm sorry, I should've made it a WIP, felt it earlier already.

Anyway, I wouldn't rule out the chance that I touch it again, but for now...

You know how it is, when after a few hours you look at your work and go: "HMMMMMmmmmmm...."

Yup, that was one of those moments. Seemed a little off and empty. Not that it's a whole lot fuller now, but some details and foaming comes out more volumeous and gives the whole thing more substance.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the little sky-squeeze and crop I've done. I didn't like the format or layout rather and felt it could have better weighting that way.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/6/2/9/marina_del_rey_v02_sml_original.jpg

screenpainter
07-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Fantastic! Stunning work Taron. So Beautiful.

simmy
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
your sea is fantastic ... so real...Beautiful, bellissimo!!

Mairzie Dotes
07-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Taron,
What a beautiful painting in every respect. You
have done an excellent job on those waves. Love
the wide expanse of the painting. :)

jacktar51
07-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Well Thank you Taron....A very lovely Seascape picture,you make me want to be there,I do love the sea its in my blood,loads of ancesters down Devon England,last visit to the south coast was two years ago now,love to look at this kind of scene though,brings back lots of good memories from when I was a Lad me hearties,yo ho ho....thanks for that Taron really nice work...... Jack.

tinchohc
07-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Increible trabajo Taron, un hermoso cuadro que transmite mucha paz.
Me encanta:)

Incredible work Taron, a beautiful picture who transmits great peace.
I┤ll like it so much .:)

kev2grey
07-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Stunning seascape. Love the depht of colour in the waves:)

Nika
07-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Beautiful view:)

ScottF
07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Wonderfully painted! The waves rolling in and the transparency of the water on the beach are amazing.

To me, they almost seem like two different paintings. (Well, they are, aren┤t they. :rolleyes:) Each one is great. The cropping creates a very different effect.

I┤d save both versions for the different feels.

D Akey
07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
First attempt, huh. Hahaha. Shows that once you know how to paint well, you can paint nearly anything well.

But Taron, i recall walking those beaches and having little bits of tar stuck to the bottoms of my feet. So I think you should include them since you painted this for Jacktar. A tar for a tar, and a tooth for a . . . whatever.

It's awesome. This is exactly how those beaches appear in life, depending of course on the weather and waves and all that. But I've seen it many times long ago when I lived in Venice, CA, which as you know is right there.

If anything it's a little smoother and cleaner than usual. But since that is a comment on the art and not a surf report, it's great. I also love the sky!

Taron
07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Such great reactions, thank you all very much! If I wasn't a little lazy right now, I'd individually thank you with a note, because some of the feedback has a special meaning to me!

I'm very happy to get the little memory snippit from you, Jack. To think that this painting triggers some for you is a real treat for me to hear!

Tinchohc, since you paint from your heart, I take it your words come from your heart as well. Especially in this case I like to think so! :) Thank you very much!

Scott, well, it's really just a little extra evolution, but I see how both crops have their own appeal. I did like the extra drama, though, in the later version, since it fights a little the otherwise potential boredom or rather lack of content, so to say.

Thanks, however, I was hoping the different densities of water would come through, particularely the transparency and translucency. I think I'm still way off, considering my choices for the sky colors. They should reflect more accurately in their chroma values, but it's not an easy task, really. Artrage has much of its own mind, when it comes to chroma, hehehe. Blend a pale blue over a grey and suddenly shiny cyan pops forward?!? Hehehe... wild, wild world.

Lee
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Dear Taron, so beautiful! no futuristics this time , real beauty, fresh and natural,,, like the sky-squeeze, puts one below sea level with the feeling of tide coming in, pick up the towels quick!!!:)

pai
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
This one will be one of my favorite of yours. It's just so peaceful and beautiful painted. Really can feel that quiet moment but only hear the music of the sea waves. Do you need to use layer in this one. I love this one very much. Thanks for sharing with us.

Taron
07-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Pai, you really raise the value of this one for me a lot! :)
I havn't used any layers on it, since everything is so connected, like a field of different textures, rolling over and under each other.

Come to think of it, this could all lead to a combined work of recent revelations, I think....hmmm... a cloudy sky with ocean waves and a boogyboarding monster... HAHAHA!

Thank you, Lee! :)

Fashmir
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Where's my bucket and shovel? I wanna build sand castles. Nice work Taron. :D

CÚdric Trojani
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I can hear the sound of the waves... you really catch the landscape...

can you tell me witch camera did you bought ? I want to buy one cheap digital camcorder to put it in my bag and have it everytime with me.

Taron
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Can you believe it, I've never build a sand castle on the beach.... I once saw that bizarre show, a contest, where they build amazing sand sculptures only to eventually blow them up. That's in San Diego, I think... a regular thing.

The camera is AIPTEK A-HD+ 1080p. Whereby the 1080p is only 1440 across, so not 1920 by 1080, but 1440 by 1080, but that doesn't matter. 720p is true widescreen and goes up to 60 FPS, which is great. The quality is mighty fine for a $109 camera, hehe. The regular price is $149, though. I just got double lucky, I guess.

Anyway, I'll make some more monochromatic paintings I think... it's fun, too. :D

Caesar
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
This is a wonderful painting as usual, but Your name is a sort of Top Quality Certificate even before looking into the post, Master Taron!

I attach here a site concerning the movie You made some time ago:
http://disneyano.altervista.org/taron.htm
Translating from the Italian title it would be the already mentioned: Taron and the Magic Cauldron

ENCHANTER
07-09-2008, 04:32 AM
fantastic.......i can feel the gentle lapping of the tide

Taron
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Enchanter!

Ceasar, that's really interesting!?! I looked it up and the english title is actually "Taran and the magic cauldron", while the italian version really reads "Taron...", funny, isn't it?! Well, I thought nothing would surprise me anymore with my name of choice after I found the cat breed (Taron Birman) and even the human tribe (Tarons) or the jewish word and name... so that's yet another funny find! Thanks! ;)

Rowena
07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Expert work Taron! :D