PDA

View Full Version : Scenes from childhood.

Aged P
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM
A scene from my childhood in the hope that it triggers off scenes from yours.

This is a sad one to start with.

The scene is mid 50's when London had severe winter fogs.
My house was on the left.
During the fog Bus Conductors had to walk in front of the buses with flares to guide them through the streets. A Shire horse pulling a cart full of coal saw the flame coming towards it and panicked. It attempted to leap over a stone wall at the front of the houses and never made it. The driver who had worked with the horse for 20 years is kneeling at the horse's head. It still haunts me over 50 years later.

The kid leaning on the back of the cart is me.

ENCHANTER
07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
:cry:

Selby
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
thankyou for sharing this really emotive image with us AgedP ...its amazing how strongly images can stay with us years later and now you can carry us all ther to greive with yourself and the driver for the shire horse

...it makes me think of black beauty one of my favourite stories from childhood even though i always howled bucketloads reading it

Selby

Weeks
07-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Aged P,

Sad and unfortunatly, part of our lives...

:cry:

Weeks

Selby
10-25-2006, 06:51 PM
I remember being a flowergirl at an Aunts wedding when i was about 4 and I was proud as punch to hold the boquet and very pleased with the fact that i got new leather shoes with cutouts of silver flowers and leaves on them.

Selby

Aged P
10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Selby,

Like most men, I suffer from shoe blindness. :cry: :lol:

They obviously meant a lot to you to have recalled them so well.
I find that painting memories , good or bad, sets off huge recollections.
It's a great thing to be able to do.

Phil

Selby
10-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Hey Aged P-well apart from the fact it was the first wedding i went to as someone old enough to remember which was a big deal at the time- the shoes were so exciting and shiny (much better i thought than my plain black leather ones)...funny i can still seem them so clearly ...lots of my early childhood memories are like that though just a clear image of a particular thing in a scene almost like a photo, but i know ive not seen photos of these things

Selby

Aged P
10-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Another Wedding, my daughter, on the left, and grand daughter. She was about 3. All the shoes turned out the same. :oops:

Acrylic.

Phil

maror
10-27-2006, 06:20 AM
@aged p

did you that picture? it's great....

greez

Rkngel
10-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Beautiful images...

I take the time to make a mental snapshot of lifes events. I will literally make the snapshot motion with my hands and squint with my eye like I was using a physical camera.

The last glance around an old comfortable apartment before I move out..
My wife absorbed in a good book...
My parents playing with their grandchildren..
A shadow racing across the fields as a cloud passes by the sun...

I am full of albums of mental pictures that I intend to transfer to the digital canvas, I just hope I can do them justice like you have.

Selby
10-27-2006, 11:11 AM
wow AgedP thats fantastic :) what a nice way to capture the day

Selby

Rkngel
10-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I remember my dad would work long night shifts and have to sleep during the day and we wouldnt be able to spend much daytime together.
Sometimes he would take me to the park before work in the late fall when the time would change and there would still be some light to play by.
He would fly this gull winged kite and get it really high in the air then let me hold the string.
The dusky light and cool fall temperatures mixed with my unending energy of youth running beside my dad as he made magic just for me

Selby
10-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Rkngel-really lovely sunset colours you captured the scene really well and you have shown you fondess for this time in the way you've painted it :)

Selby

Jules
10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
This is a childhood memory of me riding the dodgems at Butlins lol.
(ok I had some reference, and yes it is me) :lol:

Selby
11-01-2006, 05:17 AM
thats a cute one jules

Selby

Selby
11-01-2006, 05:20 AM
when i was little we had a tyre swan in the front yard...sometimes i rode it by tying a string to its neck and having it fly me away

Selby

Jules
11-01-2006, 05:26 AM
aww selby :D That reminds me of this duck thing I used to ride, its head used to bob back and forth with momentum hehe..

Selby
11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
hehe...you should paint it here then jules :)

Selby

Aged P
11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
You both did that without doing a "risk analysis" and wearing hard hats and goggles? :lol:

Two fascinating pics. The Dodgems just so sums up the whole experience, minus the homicidal big kids.

That "Tyre Swan" is such a technically elegant piece of recycling. I have never seen that done in the UK. Was it fixed to the ground or did too much enthusiasm tip it over? The drawing is also very good, it indicated exactly how it was made.

Phil

Selby
11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Phil- I think they were sometimes fixed in with a peg or similar and others just sat, but lots of the ones i knew were put over the water meter (the one with a ticker to say how much you used) in the front yard and the act of sitting over that held them in place or other times people had soil in them and grew a plant too..a fern coming out between the wings

Selby

Aged P
11-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Selby,

I see what you mean. We did a much simpler and boring version which involved the whole wheel as well.

Australia would have course have been more likely to do this, because you have Black Swans.

This forum is such an educational place, as well as artistic.

Phil

Selby
11-02-2006, 12:14 AM
hehe cool AgedP ...although i must say all the ones i met were for reasons best known to their owners painted white :) bizzare i know cant see why you would when we have black swans too here but thre you are one of those oddities of life i suspect...maybe people felt they had put in more artistic effort if they painted them white

Selby

Peter Pinckney
11-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I remember a scene like this when I ran out of the air raid shelter (Anderson Shelter they were called) and I remember my Aunt Violet screaming at me to come back or a Doodlebug would GET ME.

It was many years later that I learned what,in fact, a Doodlebug was...........not as I'd thought, a monster but a V1 flying bomb!

Best to you

Peter

Peter Pinckney
11-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I just had to add this.......................10 minutes after posting my memory I went outside for a cigarette and a local disco was shining a laser beam onto low clouds.........spooky!

Peter

D Akey
11-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I just had to add this.......................10 minutes after posting my memory I went outside for a cigarette and a local disco was shining a laser beam onto low clouds.........spooky!

Peter

Ah!!!! Now Time plays for you the refrain. . . or is it the chorus. . .

(Are you getting all this down, Peter?)

Aged P
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys,
Particularly Peter and Rkngel.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=456&highlight=evening+kite
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1555&start=0

Our childhood memories have some common threads. :)

Peter,
I read, years ago, that these experiences would come back strongly to us in later life. I might do a few similar ones , when I get my cataracts fixed. :roll:

Rkngel
My childhood experiences were actually with a bright yellow box kite , Kept in a hhaki tube container.as it had been when part of the survival equipment for a crashed aircraft. It was intended to lift an antenna.

Peter Pinckney
11-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Hi Aged P,

what threw me completely was the lasr beam on the clouds last night.........sorry to hear you have cataracts.............but after the op it was amazing (I had them too as well as glaucoma) my sight was soooooooooo sharp...............the problem is we don't notice the deterioration because it's so gradual. Hope you get yours done soon.

Best to you

Peter

Peter Pinckney
11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
This is a memory I cherish........used to do this with my Grandad on chilly nights.....................Yeah!

Aged P
11-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi Peter,

A lovely surface on the toast!
My grand parents lived next door, so I did the same thing.

White bread.
High cholesterol spread.
No safety gauntlets, goggles or risk assessment surveys.
Stabbing madly when the slice fell off.
No fire guard.
Lungs full of acrid gases when the wind blew "the wrong way".
Hearth rug with little charred holes in it.
Double page of newspaper to make the fire "draw".

With all that danger we'll never make it to 60!

Phil

D Akey
11-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi Peter,

A lovely surface on the toast!
My grand parents lived next door, so I did the same thing.

White bread.
High cholesterol spread.
No safety gauntlets, goggles or risk assessment surveys.
Stabbing madly when the slice fell off.
No fire guard.
Lungs full of acrid gases when the wind blew "the wrong way".
Hearth rug with little charred holes in it.
Double page of newspaper to make the fire "draw".

With all that danger we'll never make it to 60!

Phil

Ninteen Sixty you mean.

Best watch it boys n' grills.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice picture you just painted too Aged P! I got it loud and clear. heh.

Aged P
11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi D akey,

If I can raise the $3000 by Friday. i can have a rejuvenated eye by Monday evening! Then two weeks later for another $3000 I can get the other one done. Then about another $300 for new glasses. Until then you get word pictures. :lol:

Phil

D Akey
11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
That so? Wow.

Is that enough time to make sure the first one is working?

I briefly worked in a place were I gave rudimentary eye exams to see if people were able to drive. So I saw lots of miracles, since many were coming in having had various procedures done.

The most dramatic for me was an artist who had been declared legally blind. He had an out patient procedure and had perfect vision.

Some people were even making one eye for close up and the other for distance.

Some eye doctor had discovered that the brain generally focuses out of one eye at a time. I assume that the brain looks through the eye that has the sharpest vision for that distance.

Who knows. For me, I'm nauseous just thinking about that. But it seemed to work.

It's an age of medical miracles we're living in.

I wish you the very best speedy recovery so we can get you painting again.

:D :D :D

Aged P
11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi D,

The second one could be delayed but we wanted a firm date so that we can arrange transport, and various other things, to fit in round my daughter's job. Plus , keeping clear of reduced Christmas medical coverage if I have problems. Two weeks is probably the minimum gap, the gap is to avoid a possible double infection.

Monet got his cataracts done in about 1913 and repainted a lot of stuff, so I'm hoping to follow his example. :D

That thing about using the best eye available ties in with a piece I read about using the best nostril available, we're amazing machines!

Phil

creationsings
12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Well, this isn't exactly a scene from childhood...but more like a childhood memory. I remember one of my mom's favorite things to draw when she was just goofing off was this little cartoon dog. As a child I thought it was the neatest thing...with just a few lines and circles, a dog would appear. (When she's doodling he still sometimes appears even to this day.)

So I've taken my mom's line drawing and spruced him up a bit. :)

Selby
12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi CS, cute little pup...you obviouslt had a creative mum...and you sparked memories for me of some of the funny carachters my mum used to draw while waiting on the phone...ill have to ask her if she still does them :D

Selby

Netdevil
12-18-2006, 02:36 AM
He! It reminds me of Hong Kong Phooey :D

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I spent summers in Conway, Arkansas with my maternal grandparents on a wonderful farm. Swinging, and dreaming were my happiest moments.

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
This was my attempt to move the tree based on the scriptural verse about having the faith of a mustard seed allows one to move mountains. Indeed, the tree did not move-but I WAS concentrating very hard, and decided that I had no "faith" at all. I spent a lot of time in church as a child. I was from a family of ministers. A "preacher's child" so to speak.

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I had learned to "skin the cat" on a pecan tree in Cruger, Ms. at my aunt's house. I was very proud of accomplishing this.

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
We had a deep snow that year. in the park across the street my older brother was threatening me with a snowball and my little sister was just watching the events. This WAS the first time that we made "snow ice cream". Delicious!

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
At the end of a busy day on the farm, my beloved grandmother would cool off and rock on the porch of the farm. I was never far from her, but this day was terrorized by this fuzzy creature crawling towards me. I did not know that it was harmless, but it "looked awful".

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
My mother's maiden name. She died when I was three years old, so this is done from a photograph that I had seen of her. She was very elegant, and also a musician, as I was later to become.

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I should never have asked my father to teach me how to drive. First, he wanted to explain to me how the engine worked, and I was not really interested in that. He had said-"Turn here", and I did not slow down to turn, so he used a "bad word" DAMMIT" ( WHICH I LATER ADOPTED AS MY NAME). I had no idea what "disengage the motor" meant-so we careened around the corner. That was my first and last lesson. I did learn to drive later. (Sorry for the expletive.)

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Every Saturday we went to see the latest "cowboy-movie." I was "in love" with the singing cowboy- Gene Autry. I really named this picture- "See you next Saturday, Gene." He was "good" and wore white a lot. That showed him as "really good".

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:38 PM
My very first piano recital. I was very proud in my brown taffeta dress that my grandmother had made, AND the gold cross that I was given. I was the youngest, so went first. When I got to the piano, I was so frightened that I said to myself-"Where on earth is middle C"- I finally found it and played my piece "The Grandfather's Clock." I thought it was a really hard piece because you had to cross your hands over. Oh, well, I DID it!

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I sang everywhere I went-looking in rain puddles, in snow, and I wanted to be like Judy Garland, although she was NOT an opera star. I did grow up to be a singer, but NEVER an opera star. Oh, well!

Martha Weatherall
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
As I was walking home from school, the little girl I was walking with told me that the earth was going to be destroyed by fire. I was in the first grade, and very vulnerable, I went home in hysterics and became fearful of this forever.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 01:33 AM
I adored my grandmother who was a second mother to me. Her daughter, my mother, died when I was three years old. I loved watching her do this nightly routine, and thought that it was very special to sleep in her bed.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:01 AM
For May Day, all the schools in our city put on an extravaganza with each grade level assigned to do one routine. I was very unhappy when I found out that my school was given a dumbbell routine. I wanted to be in the Maypole routine, but it was not to be. I knew that my older brother would make a lot out of the "dumbbell part". And much to my disgrace, he did. To this day, I hate dumbbells!

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:08 AM
To get a real appreciation of this, please note that it was in the hot summer. My very industrious grandmother was doing the "wash." Note the big boiling pot and the wringing machine, which she would never let me use. I thought it was so fascinating to see how flat the sheets came out of the wringer. How she survived this routine, is amazing in itself. Note that I am watching carefully just to be near her.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:19 AM
My Grandfather was a Baptist minister, so I spent a lot of time in church services. To entertain me, Mama would make me a doll out of her handkerchief and her golden wedding band. The services seemed very long to me, but she was very innovative.

Alexandra
09-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Martha, these are so wonderful, and your stories are so precious. I hope that you print these off and make a book.
It brings back memories to me as well. My grandmother washed her clothes by hand for many years and worked so hard.
I remember when my father tried to teach me how to drive. Oh my gosh, I pulled the little demon up in the yard- a volkswagon with a possessed clutch-that let out on the very end-anyway-when we got home with whiplash and all, I ran out of the car crying and my father probably suffered with heart problems ever since. My brother tried teaching me in his sports car, but he gave up, and then my sisters worked with me and I did fine! hee hee. I couldn't drive a stick shift until I met my husband, and he was a very patient and good teacher. Now, I can drive anything.
Thanks for sharing with us. These are wonderful.:):):):):)

Lee
09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Dear Martha, Hello!!!, love all your beautiful pictures and stories, they are wonderful and dear, especially love the one with your Grandma and her patchwork quilt, you should post these all in one seperate place, thery are great!!!:)

Jasminek
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Quite delightful stories and paintings here. It is nice to remember good things when we were so young at times!:D

AT-TA
09-22-2010, 10:09 AM
What a nice threat.... wish i had more time to share also..
Martha, just love your drawings, they are full of character ....:)

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I can never forget Paul Pepper-a name that is hard to forget. When I visited my aunt he used to come over and play. He was about my age, but he had some other romantic agendas, it seemed. I had NEVER been kissed, and I was not about to allow it now. As I got older I would not be so strict about- not wanting to be kissed.
This day it was not to be. I wonder where Paul Pepper is today.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 01:27 PM
My aunt and uncle took my brother and me to Colorado and Yellowstone Park. I was in the sixth grade, and untraveled, basically, so I was very excited. When we got to Pikes Peak I got a bad case of altitude sickness, so I did not eat much for several days. When we got to West Yellowstone, I felt that I could eat a "bear". For some insane reason, I ordered fish. I had never seen anything that looked like this-I began to feel sorry for it-and didn't like the eyes being wide open. It was expensive, but I COULD NOT EAT IT! I must have ordered something else, but I don't remember what it was. It was NOT a fish!

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I really wanted to do the Maypole dance, but was too young, I guess. Someone made me this skimpy crepe paper dress, and if it had rained I would have been stained lots of colors. IT DIDN'T RAIN!

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
The word "crush" is probably not even used today. In Junior High School, I fell in love with Jimmy F., but he did not really have a desk next to mine. That was just a hope. He was blond and very athletic- and I guess looked like a "Greek" god to me. He did not know that I existed! In Junior High School we also had a really awful custom called "slam books". Each person had their own page and their own book. You asked other students to write on your page-what they thought about you. What a stupid and cruel idea, but it was very popular, and if YOU were popular you got a lot of good compliments. I was not particularly popular, so I got some "slams". How could I have engaged in this? Really Terrible! Really Mean! I was young and foolish.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
When I was visiting my cousin, Frances in a tiny little town with about two or three stores, my aunt devised a daily routine for us. A bath, the three of us, including my brother, so for decorum we wore our underwear, and we ruined the wall paper by squirting water on it, then we had a nap-even my older brother was required to do this. After naps, my aunt dressed us all up, even including powder and pretty clothes for Frances and me. This routine was very silly to me- to be so dressed up to go to the drugstore to get an ice cream cone. I am sure that we were impressive in the drugstore. One thing to know is- no one ever argued with my aunt. She was a piano teacher, and very exacting. She taught Frances piano, but it did not "take"-in fact, Frances said she lost hair by the handful during piano lessons.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I know! I know! This is NOT a childhood scene, but I wanted to use it. I went to A Salvidor Dali Exhibit including all sorts of exciting events. I had bought a very expensive design by a very famous couturier. One of my friends had made me a beautiful cape. I had an expensive hairdo. When I entered the Museum, what do you think I saw? Another lady with my exact "one of a kind" evening gowns. I was horrified, and all evening I tried to make sure that I was in a different room from my "twin". I was so disturbed because I had put aside a lot of money for my special dress, thinking there was never another one. At least my "twin" did not have a beautiful cape like mine. The exhibit was great! I never saved up money for another expensive evening gown again.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
My brother and I, and my cousin, Frances, are following our daily routine, before our naps. Frances is lolling around, that is me in the middle, and then my brother. I guess it was easier to bathe us all at one time, but to keep the proper decorum for mixed bathing, we all were required to wear our undies. my aunt failed to realize that we were ruining the wallpaper by squirting each other with little rubber dolls. Despite the required decorum, we had a good time.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
We lived way out in the country on a farm. I plead to go to school, because there was nothing much to do at home, except climb in a Chinaberry tree, and watch the cotton "grow". I was only five, but wanted to be with my brother. After the first day of school we were taken to a playground nearby. I was not happy, and said that I had to go home with my brother, not realizing that he would get out of school later. I was still distraught and could not understand. I could not do much without my brother nearby.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I remember a photo of me practically "inhaling" the Nehi Orange drink. I also loved Nehi chocolate. I guess that I "inhaled it the same way.

Martha Weatherall
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
In the first grade we had a rhythm band. I had my heart set on playing the beautiful triangle with its lovely sound, and what do you think I got--(the story of my life-) something that sounded "clunky". I learned that life is not always " a bowl of cherries", so to speak. Oh, well, another lesson learned-- but not how to count or read. I was also in "The Ten Little Indians" play- which lasted all of about two minutes, You know--One little, two little , three little, etc., appearing and disappearing on and off stage. I think I was dressed like an Indian- and was number ten. That fits.

Alexandra
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Martha, these are adorable. Thank you for sharing with us! I especially love the story of the red dress! hee hee.
I cannot wait to draw my first driving experience.:eek:

Martha Weatherall
09-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Yes, my brother tried to teach me to drive, also, but after almost making a big circle when turning the corner and enduring the caustic words, he gave up on teaching me. Like my father, he had little patience with me. I cannot remember HOW I finally learned to drive, My sister was too little to teach me. She had lots to look forward to about driving.

Martha Weatherall
09-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks so very much for your praise. I think I will try to make a little book. I made a photo book of my best friend's beautiful garden as a Christmas present last year. I had a lot of help from the Apple store and their "One to One" teachers. I think I would need their help--you can tell that by the driving stories, I have difficulty in some mechanical things, but HEY, I am an organist and can play with hands and feet at the same time, so THERE!

Aged P
09-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Thank you Sandra for letting me know this thread had woken up. 3 and a 1/2 years where does the time go?

But thanks also to Martha, who's childhood I have just experienced in words and very evocative pictures. This was what I hoped would happen. I love the paintings, so accurate in depicting precious moments when added to the text thay would make a great little book.

And if I might pass on to someone, who is a professional musician, the sum total of my piano playing knowledge. Middle C is always above the keyhole! :)

Thank you Martha

Phil

Martha Weatherall
09-23-2010, 03:40 AM
I guess you can see that I failed in my task to help with the seaboard duties, and "clung to the mast for life". I could not have found anything to help, and was very seasick.

Lee
09-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Dear Martha, all wonderful stories and drawings, thank you!!!:)

Martha Weatherall
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Actually, I had started doing this quite awhile ago, but did not want to post them to the Gallery because of the lack of sophisticated drawing and such a personal meaning. So, I was very happy to find a place to post them. Thank you for your message. It makes me very happy.

Martha Weatherall
09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Before my brother went to war in the submarine service, he and I were typical teenage brother and sister. He liked to play tricks on me, and in general, make my life miserable. Basically, I was glad to see him go, but after he left and went overseas in the Pacific, sometimes it might be several months with no letters and no contact. I was ashamed of my previous thoughts, and wanted him back home. One day I was called at school with the news that my brother was home. I raced for the bus to go home and feared that I would never get there. Getting off the bus, I raced for two blocks to the house. He was standing in the doorway, tall and thin in his winter blues. I melted into his arms, and later got his sailor hat which I wore until it was almost black. I was SO proud of him AND my hat.

screenpainter
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Martha, this should definitely be a childrens' book. The illustrations would be fantastic for it and the stories are real and honest...something kids and adults alike can appreciate. I am serious... you might consider this. The pictures and stories are fantastic!!!

Martha Weatherall
09-26-2010, 05:47 AM
First of all, I had an ugly "Buster Brown" haircut. I always had very straight hair but now my hair is slightly curly. But it is too late for that. As a teenager I spent a lot of time with bobby pins and curlers to have curly hair, but if the weather was misty it got straight again.
For this picture i was having a photo, and they stuck that ugly hair-bow on top of my very straight hair. I refused to have my picture taken with this ugly attachment, but my refusal was over-ridden. I hated my photo!

Martha Weatherall
09-26-2010, 05:55 AM
The hair bow is ugly and so is the straight hair!

Martha Weatherall
09-26-2010, 06:14 AM
Galloway Hall was the main building in Central College where I lived with my grandparents after my mother died. My grandfather was president of this college. This was the hall where we gathered with the other children (our playmates) in this dark hall that was lit by one dim bulb. Of course this was the perfect spot for ghost stories. My brother is telling a bloody story, and I believed every word of it-as real. It is easy to see which child is me!

Martha Weatherall
09-26-2010, 08:19 AM
I used a biscuit in all of these three ways-taught to me by my grandmother.
You will have the shiniest patent leather shoes around, after trying this, and you will cook a lot of biscuits, and buy sugar cane syrup in the fall. (not black strap molasses). Go to the countryside and look how they used to make sugar cane syrup. You will be pleased and surprised. I am sure that the mule was incredibly bored going round and round and round to extract sugar from the cane before it was boiled.

Lee
09-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Dear Martha, if you don't find a publisher for your wonderful stories and paintings then call me nutz!!! :)

coops
09-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Dear Martha, I have been enthralled with all your wonderful paintings and stories of your times past, they are a delight to behold.
I hope you dont mind me adding a little picture that I sketched sometime ago and coloured in Artrage. It myself as a wee lassie.:)

Martha Weatherall
09-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Coop for you wonderful comment. That makes me very happy, and certainly, I am glad to see this picture of you. Looks like we had a similar hairdo. I love to get comments. It encourages me so much. I spent three months living in London, and I love the whole country--Beautiful!

Martha Weatherall
09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Of course I really do not remember this as (a cute little baby). Well, I just added that about "cute", and I also added hair, because I was completely bald, at this age. I was told that my one big accomplishment was to suck my big toe. I can't say that I am particularly proud of that, but I was reminded of this a LOT later. Somethings you don't really want to know about your ("cute things?) when you were a baby. And I was not proud of being completely bald-so I just "gilded the lily", so to speak, by giving myself a head of hair. (Lying is not good), I know.

Martha Weatherall
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I plead to learn to milk the cow because it looked kind of "magical" to me.
After my brief lesson, I pulled and squeezed, and pulled and squeezed, but nothing happened, not even a drizzle of milk. So, I guess you could say that I failed at milking. I think that the cow knew right away that I was not a milkmaid. The milk got turned into a lot of wonderful things- butter, clabber, wonderful cream that was like a thick "skin", and tasted wonderful over fresh peaches. All of that was done by Mama, by straining and churning and lots of other hard work that produced delicious thinks to eat and drink.

Martha Weatherall
10-02-2010, 09:17 AM
This is my cousin Frances and me-many summers ago in the drugstore. We look like a police lineup, and the picture was not worth ten cents.
This was during the Depression. At that time, ten cents was a good bit of money. It must have been Frances' money, because her parents owned a cotton
plantation in the Mississippi delta. Ever since she had been given a huge Shirley Temple doll, I knew they were wealthy. I had a rag doll-so that tells you something about my family. They were nice, but NOT wealthy. She had a playroom, and a china tea set. Well, I DID get to play there. I hope the picture is missing!

Martha Weatherall
10-02-2010, 10:07 AM
I was absolutely terrified by this vicious rooster, so much so that I could not venture into the back yard. He jumped and slashed with his long talons. I was hoping that they would make fried chicken of him soon, in order to rid me of this mean rooster. His only good quality was that he crowed,on top of the henhouse, early in the morning-at sunrise. I did not consider this a redeeming enough quality to keep him from the black iron skillet. I should feel sorry, but don't.

Joni-Boy
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
hey guys hhow can i show a picture i made on this thread how to send it there

Martha Weatherall
10-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Art Rage Forums>Gallery>Art projects> Scenes From Childhood.

ArtRage Forums > Gallery > Art Projects
Scenes from childhood.

Joni-Boy
10-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Plz tell me how to put a picture that i made on art rage

justjean
10-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Joni-Boy, In your reply scroll down till you see attachment click on it

What a great stroll down all the wonderful memory lanes :)

Here's mine... just an old 2 x 12 plank , there was a dry ditch beside the house and I would get Dad to put the plank over it for me and then I sailed the world :D

Joni-Boy
10-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Oh i now know how but it keep failing to upload

Lima
10-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Martha your work is an undeniable beauty, and very happy.:eek::eek::eek:

Martha Weatherall
10-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Thank you so much, It means so much to me, especially because I am such an admirer of your beautiful work.

Martha Weatherall
10-11-2010, 08:52 AM
All of my life, which was about eight years now, I had longed for curly hair. This was the first time that I knew about how this was accomplished. I was horrified by those hot coils attached to wires on my scalp. I thought-"How could I escape from there in an emergency?" After this torture, my hair was not actually curly like I longed for, but more like "frizzy"- which I had not expected at all. It almost made me want straight hair again. In a few months, I would return to straight hair, and stop longing for curly hair, until I was a teen-ager, and by then, science had invented a different way of making hair curly.

Lee
10-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Dear Martha, i remember this sooo well!!! it actually smoked and the smell????!!! whew!!! what fun!!! thanks for remembering!!!:)

Martha Weatherall
10-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Lee, I thought that I was "the only one left" who remembered this horror, so I feel really good about your comment. Thanks so much. I think that I was in the second grade. Maybe, you can remember the "polio scare". We had our noses sprayed with this awful orange medicine, and I guess you may remember "castor oil"-(the most horrible medicine ever invented by man). Thanks for sharing your comments.

Lee
10-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Dear Martha, laughing here!!! castor oil?!!! yum!:mad:, didn't know it was supposed to be good for your health,,,, it usually was the cure for being naughty:D, be well,,, :)

Martha Weatherall
10-29-2010, 06:05 AM
This is from my "Scenes From Childhood" series"
My first night in Conway for the summer. The song of the whippoorwill outside my window made me sad and homesick. the whippoorwill cried for me.

AT-TA
10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh,pure Martha. If i was a fairy... only if... i would come to her and would give her a hug...
Good drawing, Martha... it is saying all you wanted us to know. Looking forward to more...:)

Caesar
10-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Here's a memory from my childhood! ;) You must consider that I'm not that young anymore .... :D

Martha Weatherall
10-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I am definitely not YOUNG anymore! I go WAY BACK! What are you dreaming of? Dare I ask.

MJSparks
10-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Great images.

I got a chuckle out of Caesar's memory!

AT-TA
11-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Nice and funny story Martha.I cannot share anything about having curly hair... because i didn't like locks... i liked waves...:-)

Where is your mother, Caesar... hunting?

Caesar
11-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Dear Martha, from what You say I think the main difference is possibly that You had the opportunity to meet either some Homo Abilis specimen or at least some Homo Erectus group ! :p ... I can hardly believe anyone here ever met a Dinosaur! :eek::D

Thank You, dear Magen! I'm just glad I could share chuckles. I got one first drawing it ... :D

Dear Anna, my mom just went shopping some good mammuth's tenderloin, a giant fern salad bag and a couple of cans of fat worms .... time for milk was already up, as You could see in my dream, except that I could get from an eohyppus ...:D

Martha Weatherall
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Subtitled; "As God is my witness, I will never pick cotton again." REF: "GWTW". never made ten cents, and could not spend it if I had--there was no place around to do so, except for a little traveling store that came occasionally.

Sophiya
05-27-2011, 01:48 AM
i love watching this thread.
And i'm so fond of martha's stories. they make my day.

shekinahartgallery
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Good work & thanks for sharing with us...

swansong
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Really nice paintings, i like them all, thanks for sharing them with us

D Akey
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Aged P for this one. What an amazing pic you began it with. It even looks like a memory in how it's sort of amorphous, just with enough to hold on to what was happening without the thousands of little details. We get to add those, don't we, like trying to remember.

SusanE
02-24-2012, 06:36 PM
When I was 11 or 12 years old, my family moved to a new home. There was a huge tree in the back yard that I quickly claimed as "mine". Pencil and watercolor.

Selby
03-04-2012, 03:12 AM
lovely memory to share susan:)
I too have read many a book in a tree