PDA

View Full Version : man in snow

Wheiraucher
07-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi,

I'm still lacking a good name for the image. "Man in snow" is a little too obvious.

Please give me advice on how to go on. I like the image but it doesn't feel quite finished yet.

David

bleepnik
07-11-2006, 05:01 AM
I feel it conveys enough exactly how it is. The downward gaze, surrounded by the vast expanse of snow... If you want to convey confusion, despair, I would call it "Lost." If you want to convey curiosity, adventure, I would call it "Wanderer." But I think that a wanderer might have his head held high, not lowered in ... defeat? exhaustion? It seems to me to be a more sombre image.

Whatever you decide to name it, it's beautiful. I wouldn't add a thing.

- Gita

drzeller
07-11-2006, 06:15 AM
The only thing that crossed my mind when looking at the picture is that I wanted the man to be further to the right. I guess it is the basic rule of thirds idea -- I wanted more space for the man to walking into.

Very nice picture, by the way.

D.

emremeydan
07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Indeed, very nice.

To me, it seems as if he's looking at something on the ground. You could place a small object at the exact spot he's looking at -for example, maybe a teddy bear half buried in the snow- and the painting might feel more finished then. Just an idea...

emre

Wheiraucher
07-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi and thanks a lot. Those are very good comments. I totaly agree with both of them. I will try placing the person more to the right. I already had the idea to place something at the spot where he's looking at, but couldn't think of anything good. A teddy bear is a very nice idea. Maybe I will come up with an idea myself...

ka
07-11-2006, 09:09 AM
i do not critic with this work.the technic is really mastering very sweet ,contrast is important the image gives a feeling;loneliness.very good!!!ka

Wheiraucher
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I have implemented the ideas, but I don't really think it's much better. The mood isn't loneliness anymore, but unrealistic curiosity, and Loneliness was a stronger emotion.

what do you think?

AndyRage
07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Ooo I like the style and the feel of this one.

Aged P
07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Wheiraucher,

I think that's about finished.
Lovely painting, much better for the composition change.

I look forward to the next one.

ENCHANTER
07-11-2006, 10:09 AM
wonderful painting!

which ever way you composed it :)

Fashmir
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Wheiraucher- Nice relaxed style. I like both versions for different reasons. I think the first one is stronger emotionally as you point out, whereas the second has a stronger composition. I think that the bottle may be, as you have suggested, too ordinary an object in this context for him to be so interested (perhaps a rolled up message in the bottle could help). One thing that occured to me would be to have him encountering a new set of foot prints coming into the scene from the lower left and curving into the distant center. This juxtaposed with an object more extraordinary to find in such a setting could arouse interest and suggest a story. My two coppers.

PS. Did I mention that I think your work is exemplary?

bearblue1
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
"How'd that get there?"

Like the painting, either way.

drzeller
07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I like the combination of the two ideas. I'm with the others regarding the object, but don't know what it should be. For a fleeting second I thought of something from another season -- like summer -- but couldn't think of an appropriately iconic object.

Again, nice work.

D.

florida girl
07-12-2006, 05:24 AM
Hi Wheiraucher, When I saw your first painting I felt a sense of despair, but also of anticipation and hope.
In my minds eye I thought how wonderful!
Is this a wanderer, or someone in conquest?
Perhaps A brave explorer, willing to sacrifice his own safety in hopes of finding survivors.
At the apex of his long Journey, weathered and weary, his resources are exausted and there seems to be no sign of life. He questions whether he should continue his arduous journey...
Then all of a sudden, something has caught his attention!
He gazes intently, down to his left... Then, very slowly, a hand reaches out from a mound of snow... A survivor! Relieved that someone, at the risk of their own life, has bravely come to their rescue, traveling horizons where others dare not go...
Very well done!

Wheiraucher
07-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi all. Thanks for all the comments. It's so nice to be complimented and critizised at the same time. It helped me improve my image a lot i think, and i will probably call it finished, now.

Fashmir, there already is a rolled up message in the bottle. Maybe it's not clear enough. Should i work on that? Has anyone realized there was a message?

David

cym
07-13-2006, 12:08 AM
I noticed the message in the bottle, in the vast sea of snow. Makes the whole feeling of the painting different than the first. I am partial to the first one, being from a plae where there was always plenty of snow, I can relate to emptiness of the scene. I really like the man, the backpack, his stance. Good stuff.

drzeller
07-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I did not notice the message. I thought it looked like a lable and didn't give it more thought. Perhaps if it were at an angle inside, or moree cliche - sticking out.

D.