PDA

View Full Version : making a pencil sketch from colored image in PS

screenpainter
06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
You might enjoy this method of turning a painting or photo into a pencil sketch in Photoshop:
take a color painting or photo. here I used Khalid's beautiful color painting.
duplicate the colored layer. now perform an image>adjustment>desaturate on the new layer. it will be black and white now.
then duplicate the black and white layer and choose image>adjustment>invert then set the blend mode of the newest layer to color dodge. The canvas should appear almost white.
now go to filter>blur>motion blur
adjust the slider and direction until you get something you like that looks most like a pencil sketch.
I usually use the burn tool set at about 50% to darken a few areas and add some contrast.
enjoy! :)

Dany51
06-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi gzairborne,

Splendid sketch !

It is exactly what I need but I am not sure to be able to do it, I have only Photoshop Essentials for the moment. Is this possible to do that whit Painter ?
Thank you.:)

I want also to say that I cant answer to all posts here on the forum but when I have time I read the posts, I appreciate the friendly atmosphere and I try to make a valuable contribution .

ScottF
06-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Wonderful results! Thanks for sharing the technique.

As for Dany´s question, I believe that something similar should be possible with a number of graphics programs.

Fashmir
06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Ohh. That's a fine recipe there GZ. Thanks for sharing.

screenpainter
06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi gzairborne,

Splendid sketch !

It is exactly what I need but I am not sure to be able to do it, I have only Photoshop Essentials for the moment. Is this possible to do that whit Painter ?
Thank you.:)

sorry it is not my sketch. It is a painting by our own Khalid.
I was able to duplilcate in Photoshop Elements. So maybe can do in Photoshop Essentials too. Here is how I did it in Photoshop Elements:

right click on color layer and choose duplicate layer
go to enhance> adjust color>remove color
now duplicate that layer (black & white now)
filter>adjustments>invert on the new layer
set blend mode to color dodge
filter>blur>gaussian blur

D Akey
06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Glad you put the link in. I missed this one before.

Nice technique!

What's it like working from a photo as opposed to art? Since art already is edited, these have a hand done look. For changing from a painting to a drawing look it seems to work great.

Nice find or invention!

Dany51
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
sorry it is not my sketch. It is a painting by our own Khalid.
I was able to duplilcate in Photoshop Elements. So maybe can do in Photoshop Essentials too.

:o Indeed It's about Photoshop Elements that I was speaking,
thank you very much for the explications .
I can see that is Khalid painting but you did the sketch and the result is excellent.:)

screenpainter
02-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks Dany. I am glad you liked this technique.